Defund the police !!! er wait

Unforgiven

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're never going to 100% fix something but social security for example has greatly reduced homelessness among the elderly.  When I said education I meant child nutrition programs (free breakfast, lunch, after school food programs).

Why I put “fixed” in quotes.  With all the piles of money we’ve thrown at these problems poverty, homelessnes and people unable to retire are still huge problems. 

Yup I knew you were going to say social security. That net has, in many cases, given people a false sense of security.  I gotta ask you. Pre SS what was the homeless rate of the elderly?  We took care of our elderly family members prior to SS.  Now we turn our backs on many of them become “oh the government will take care of them!”  

The best safety, in my opinion, we used to have that pretty much no longer exists, which had nothing to do with the government, was the private pension.  

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Glad you can afford it.

I know I’ll take ***** for this but here goes. You can’t afford to feed a human don’t make any. 

6 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Private Pension LOL...nothing preventing our capitalist structure from providing them right?.....I think you can find a fossil of one if you look hard enough

Controlling your retirement is a much better way to go than relying on your employer. You just need to actually do it!  Personal responsibility is so hard. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

what do you think of the millions of open jobs that are now offering a min of $15 a hour with signing bonuses. my place has been looking for employees for years, well before/ during/ and presently in the pandemic, essential through it all. union benefits. well over min wage. easy access to a bus route with nothing stopping anyone besides basic reading writing and standard drug test, that doesnt care about marijuana anymore as well.

when your in a industry seeing that hire sign everyday. that simply cant find stable employees. while also being a person who worked 50-60 hour weeks for just enough to get by while going to college fulltime. this was years and years after most of my inner city education so i again had to work hard just to competently get in starting at community and then bachelors.

has this effort corrupted my view on whats going on in this country? was that experience what made me more conservative? personally i think its because the left has shifted the overton window waay off, most of my liberal beliefs are still intact. but knowing that i climbed the hurdles that others complain can not be reached is pretty irritating. the fact race is used when i applied for the same low income loans offered to ANYONE but was EXCLUDED from many of the GRANTS that were based on race, tells me they are wrong. 

you seem logical, which is why im asking. how is it people look at the situation in this country and especially at PARENTS who should be willing to die to provide in a attempt to give them a better life and not lose empathy for the incredibly contradictory way that opportunity is at a all time peak yet there are still those who are making excuses for others not fighting there azz off to grab it right now.

in this moment and time as long as good jobs are available i have to think its changing alot of peoples minds on why MANY, not ALL but many are "struggling" as every story i see has me asking. WHY ARENT YOU WORKING?!! your kids are counting on you! maybe thats wrong, but its honest.

how are you justifying it? has your outlook changed due to the circumstances?

if you read all that. lol 

I'm not an economics expert.   Lol.  Our country has never intentionally shut down our economy so there's no history you can draw off of to explain why you're seeing so many job openings that aren't being filled.  There's been many theories people aren't going back to work to match the prepandemic employment level (enhanced unemployment benefits, older people retiring early, not being able to rely on schools to babysit their kids, fear of Covid infected work areas, etc.).  I read the jobs report in July was encouraging though and suspect things will eventually return to normal.  The unconstitutional eviction moratorium extension kind of pissed me off because there was no reason for it.  From a distance it seems the more moderate wing of the Democratic party (which is the majority) need to stop caving to the progressive wing as the Overton window is slowly shifting and they'll pay for it electorally in '22 and '24.

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Why I put “fixed” in quotes.  With all the piles of money we’ve thrown at these problems poverty, homelessnes and people unable to retire are still huge problems. 

Yup I knew you were going to say social security. That net has, in many cases, given people a false sense of security.  I gotta ask you. Pre SS what was the homeless rate of the elderly?  We took care of our elderly family members prior to SS.  Now we turn our backs on many of them become “oh the government will take care of them!” 

The one thing I like about social security is it provide a cushion against an unlikely market crash.  It's a guaranteed source of income not subject to investment risk and market fluctuations that can wreak havoc on a 401k.  I don't know the pre ss homeless rate but it was during the height of the Great Depression in the 30's so it was probably high.  As far as taking care of our elderly family members, that's great but not all old people have that family support structure and for many of them their only source of income is social security benefits.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not an economics expert.   Lol.  Our country has never intentionally shut down our economy so there's no history you can draw off of to explain why you're seeing so many job openings that aren't being filled.  There's been many theories people aren't going back to work to match the prepandemic employment level (enhanced unemployment benefits, older people retiring early, not being able to rely on schools to babysit their kids, fear of Covid infected work areas, etc.).  I read the jobs report in July was encouraging though and suspect things will eventually return to normal.  The unconstitutional eviction moratorium extension kind of pissed me off because there was no reason for it.  From a distance it seems the more moderate wing of the Democratic party (which is the majority) need to stop caving to the progressive wing as the Overton window is slowly shifting and they'll pay for it electorally in '22 and '24.

The one thing I like about social security is it provide a cushion against an unlikely market crash.  It's a guaranteed source of income not subject to investment risk and market fluctuations that can wreak havoc on a 401k.  I don't know the pre ss homeless rate but it was during the height of the Great Depression in the 30's so it was probably high.  As far as taking care of our elderly family members, that's great but not all old people have that family support structure and for many of them their only source of income is social security benefits.

You take the amount of money you’ve put into SS over the 40 or so years you’ve worked and invest it in a tax deferred vehicle of properly diversified and allocated equities and debt and at 67 put it into an annuity your brain will explode as to how much more guaranteed income you’ll have. SS is a ***** rip off Ponzi scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

ha yeah i went off on a tangent again didnt i? i agree 100% with your assement on the moderate liberals needing to step up big time against the far lefts more radical agenda. unfortunatly they are the only ones left to do it. the right is seen as the enemy and the media and corporate america have fully embraced there ideas. it will require the moderates alone to reign that segment in or i predict a slaughter at midterm elections. i dont think it will happen as the moderates see the far left as opposition to conservatives. any enemy to my enemy is a friend deal. one can only hope that if the republicans do get major control, they dont advocate using it to solidify their own power the same way i see dems currently advocating. super packing the supreme court lol 

nice to know that there are still objective people on the interwebz. we as a society need to get back to that as holding people in (power) accountable should always be the objective regardless of the letter in front of their name. the ratings crash of the major media gives me hope that the propaganda from both sides is being questioned and tuned out. 👍

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

ha yeah i went off on a tangent again didnt i? i agree 100% with your assement on the moderate liberals needing to step up big time against the far lefts more radical agenda. unfortunatly they are the only ones left to do it. the right is seen as the enemy and the media and corporate america have fully embraced there ideas. it will require the moderates alone to reign that segment in or i predict a slaughter at midterm elections. i dont think it will happen as the moderates see the far left as opposition to conservatives. any enemy to my enemy is a friend deal. one can only hope that if the republicans do get major control, they dont advocate using it to solidify their own power the same way i see dems currently advocating. super packing the supreme court lol 

nice to know that there are still objective people on the interwebz. we as a society need to get back to that as holding people in (power) accountable should always be the objective regardless of the letter in front of their name. the ratings crash of the major media gives me hope that the propaganda from both sides is being questioned and tuned out. 👍

I apologize for the "glad you can afford it" response.  It brought back memories of when I worked in Buffalo and would save dry cereal to send home with kids on the weekends because I knew it's all the food they'd have until Monday.

As for the midterms, the party in power (Dems) will get slaughtered (like every midterm since '06) but whether it's 10 seats or 50 seats depend on how far the swing district Democratic incumbents can distant themselves from the progressives.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Jim mentions the problem with SS and here it is a real example. Several counties in Texas opted out somehow in the 80's and if you read the article the returns they have received are 50% to 100% better than SS. All while being in secure investments.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Jim mentions the problem with SS and here it is a real example. Several counties in Texas opted out somehow in the 80's and if you read the article the returns they have received are 50% to 100% better than SS. All while being in secure investments.

Those returns aren't guaranteed in the future though.  That includes the most diverse mutual and bond funds.  Also, imo the people that have to rely on social security as their sole means of surviving are the least likely to make wise investment decisions if given private retirement accounts.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Those returns aren't guaranteed in the future though.  That includes the most diverse mutual and bond funds.  Also, imo the people that have to rely on social security as their sole means of surviving are the least likely to make wise investment decisions if given private retirement accounts.

This is why financial planning needs to be a requirement in high school. Not just investments…planning.  

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I did not include the article but the way it was described was banks or investment firms bid for their money and  guaranteed a decent return every set of years 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I did not include the article but the way it was described was banks or investment firms bid for their money and  guaranteed a decent return every set of years 

I’d have to see the article but if banks and investment firms are involved it would have to be heavily regulated.

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Good point. Teaches the blame game for when they have no money. 

They require an economics class to graduate high school but it’s too little and inadequate imo.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I’d have to see the article but if banks and investment firms are involved it would have to be heavily regulated.

They require an economics class to graduate high school but it’s too little and inadequate imo.

I took Economics. I couldn’t even balance a checkbook. Why we get married right guys. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I took Economics. I couldn’t even balance a checkbook. Why we get married right guys. 

I remember having a project where I had to track GE stock by looking the opening and closing cost in the newspaper.  Had to make charts, calculate P/E ratio, etc..  My how things have changed.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I remember having a project where I had to track GE stock by looking the opening and closing cost in the newspaper.  Had to make charts, calculate P/E ratio, etc..  My how things have changed.

I have no idea what that taught is.  

All you have to tell an 18 year old is if they have dollar cost average $100 a month into a diversified fund of world class companies you will have a million dollars at retirement and chicks dig guys with money they’ll do it.  The chicks part is the most important part of the equation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no easier decision than to invest in a 401K if you have the chance.  A - take the money today and have the government tax you to death.  B- keep it away from the idiot politicians and have your day in the sunset when you are older.  If you tip over, your family gets it.  Just play government keep-away.  What a mess.  

House Democrats are in a "difficult position" over infrastructure because of a series of politically charged votes Senate Republicans forced last week on the $3.5 trillion budget reconciliation bill, according to a new memo authored by Sen. Mitch McConnell's team. 

Among the measures Republicans listed as successes are GOP amendments to block federal funds from being used to promote the teaching of Critical Race Theory (CRT), another to prohibit the Biden administration from banning hydraulic fracturing and a third to ban taxpayer dollars for funding abortions. 

In one instance not mentioned in the memo, Democrats rejoiced at the chance to go on the record and support Sen. Tommy Tuberville's amendment against defunding the police. Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., said he wanted to give Tuberville a "hug" for putting to rest "scurrilous" accusations that Senate Democrats want to strip law enforcement of money. The final vote on that was unanimous approval – 99-0.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconnell-memo-infrastructure-house-democrats-difficult-position

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2021 at 8:55 PM, Chef Jim said:

This is why financial planning needs to be a requirement in high school. Not just investments…planning.  

i must say i was shocked when we gifted a small portfolio of stocks to our daughter upon her graduation from college, and she just had no clue really what they were, how they worked, what a 401K plan was etc. And that is on us, not the school.BTW, she went to a private school.

Guess we just assumed she would learn by osmosis hearing us talk about stocks, 401Ks etc...but we was wrong!

I guess only good thing is she back in school getting a nursing degree, and has agreed to have us help her with that kind of stuff when she actually gets of the teet and starts earning money!!!!!

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

i must say i was shocked when we gifted a small portfolio of stocks to our daughter upon her graduation from college, and she just had no clue really what they were, how they worked, what a 401K plan was etc. And that is on us, not the school.BTW, she went to a private school.

Guess we just assumed she would learn by osmosis hearing us talk about stocks, 401Ks etc...but we was wrong!

I guess only good thing is she back in school getting a nursing degree, and has agreed to have us help her with that kind of stuff when she actually gets of the teet and starts earning money!!!!!

So double college? Ouch.  

13 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

So double college? Ouch.  

yep, knew that going in. Thank goodness good chunk of 4 year degree was covered by various means...and she is in accelerated 11 month BSN program at a state school, will work for two years, then her NP...good thing is she will be employable!!!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

yep, knew that going in. Thank goodness good chunk of 4 year degree was covered by various means...and she is in accelerated 11 month BSN program at a state school, will work for two years, then her NP...good thing is she will be employable!!!!!!

At least you knew.  And good for her, NPs do well for themselves!

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, LeviF said:

Minneapolis PD back to normal funding levels. 

It’s too late. I do find it hilarious that the experiment lasted all of a year. 

In LA they’ve taken the teeth out of the judicial system and we see the results today.  With things like no bail (bye bye suckers!!  I’m off to commit more crimes!) and increasing the amount for a crime to be anything more than a misdemeanor you quickly see the results.  LA County is a mess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

‘It’s Not Worth It’: HVAC Company Says It Will No Longer Service Customers in Downtown Denver

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. (CBS4) – A Wheat Ridge-based heating and air conditioning company says it will no longer service businesses in or around downtown Denver due to crime, drug use and danger to its field crews.

"Its not really worth it to put up with it,” said Tony Cirbo, operations manager for AC Mechanical and Engineering. He said the company works up and down the Front Range with about 100 industrial and commercial clients.

But Cirbo said, after hearing from field crews who were “very nervous” working in parts of downtown, the company made the decision to turn down work requests from downtown Denver. Cirbo said the business decision was also due in part to the fact that the company only had two clients in downtown Denver.

But he said his crews complained about coming across needles, drug paraphernalia, feces and were concerned about theft.

“You don’t know what’s going to happen,” Cirbo said.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2022/05/11/wheat-ridge-hvac-company-cancels-service-downtown-denver/

After police and sheriffs deputies left agencies in droves in 2021, Democratic leaders try to stem the tide

More law enforcement officers in Colorado left the profession in 2021 than in previous years — and sheriffs and police chiefs are struggling more than ever to fill the positions across the state.

More than 2,400 officers quit or were forced out of positions in 2021 and just over 1,700 officers were hired, according to data obtained by CPR News by Peace Officers Standards and Training under the Colorado Department of Law. 

https://www.cpr.org/2022/01/13/colorado-law-enforcement-hiring-attrition/

6-Month Experiment Replacing Denver Police With Mental Health Teams Dubbed A Success

A Denver city councilmember who supports defunding police weighs new success of replacing cops with mental health teams. Six months in, the team has responded to almost 750 calls, without one arrest.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/08/974941422/6-month-experiment-replacing-denver-police-with-mental-health-teams-dubbed-a-suc

Sounds like there should have been.....lots of arrests.  

I guess the Councilman really needed to show how much the Democrats have "accomplished."

They're only getting crazier folks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

‘It’s Not Worth It’: HVAC Company Says It Will No Longer Service Customers in Downtown Denver

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. (CBS4) – A Wheat Ridge-based heating and air conditioning company says it will no longer service businesses in or around downtown Denver due to crime, drug use and danger to its field crews.

"Its not really worth it to put up with it,” said Tony Cirbo, operations manager for AC Mechanical and Engineering. He said the company works up and down the Front Range with about 100 industrial and commercial clients.

But Cirbo said, after hearing from field crews who were “very nervous” working in parts of downtown, the company made the decision to turn down work requests from downtown Denver. Cirbo said the business decision was also due in part to the fact that the company only had two clients in downtown Denver.

But he said his crews complained about coming across needles, drug paraphernalia, feces and were concerned about theft.

“You don’t know what’s going to happen,” Cirbo said.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2022/05/11/wheat-ridge-hvac-company-cancels-service-downtown-denver/

After police and sheriffs deputies left agencies in droves in 2021, Democratic leaders try to stem the tide

More law enforcement officers in Colorado left the profession in 2021 than in previous years — and sheriffs and police chiefs are struggling more than ever to fill the positions across the state.

More than 2,400 officers quit or were forced out of positions in 2021 and just over 1,700 officers were hired, according to data obtained by CPR News by Peace Officers Standards and Training under the Colorado Department of Law. 

https://www.cpr.org/2022/01/13/colorado-law-enforcement-hiring-attrition/

6-Month Experiment Replacing Denver Police With Mental Health Teams Dubbed A Success

A Denver city councilmember who supports defunding police weighs new success of replacing cops with mental health teams. Six months in, the team has responded to almost 750 calls, without one arrest.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/08/974941422/6-month-experiment-replacing-denver-police-with-mental-health-teams-dubbed-a-suc

Sounds like there should have been.....lots of arrests.  

I guess the Councilman really needed to show how much the Democrats have "accomplished."

They're only getting crazier folks. 

Is the suggestion that 100% of the time, police officers arrest and incarcerate the drunk and disorderly guy, or the guy with no shoes?  75% of the time?   15%?

I think the police would be completely behind the outsourcing of mental health issues to non-police associates.   Domestic disputes as well.  In spite of the narrative, I think the overwhelming majority of law enforcement professionals want to do their job, help some folks out, and go the &$** home without being shot, stabbed, spit on or cursed at, and do so without shooting or taxing anyone. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 7:27 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Is the suggestion that 100% of the time, police officers arrest and incarcerate the drunk and disorderly guy, or the guy with no shoes?  75% of the time?   15%?

I think the police would be completely behind the outsourcing of mental health issues to non-police associates.   Domestic disputes as well.  In spite of the narrative, I think the overwhelming majority of law enforcement professionals want to do their job, help some folks out, and go the &$** home without being shot, stabbed, spit on or cursed at, and do so without shooting or taxing anyone. 

Agreed, except on the domestic issues. Police need to go to those because of the potential for violence. Those tend to escalate fast.

In reference to that article, it sounds like that response team only went to the types of calls where an officer wouldn't arrest anyone anyway.

I don't think most people really understand the restraint that most cops have. I was on a police ride-along once where we pulled over a vehicle at midnight. It was originally for driving with no headlights, but then as we approached it the vehicle started speeding, 20+ mph over the limit. We followed and the car eventually pulled into a gas station lot. The officer approached the driver's window and the subject started screaming at the officer (hoenstly, it seemed like he may have been high). Then he put his hands on the shifter and steering wheel like he was about to drive away, so the officer reached in, grabbed his hands and pulled him out the window, all the while the guy is fighting the officer. So the officer cuffed him and stuck him in the back seat, waited 20 minutes for the guy to calm down, had a good talk with him, and then sent him on his way with a ticket. No arrest.

• 1 month later...