Defund the police !!! er wait

Unforgiven

Minneapolis city council members backpedal and claim 'Defund the Police' has 'never been a chosen framework' after they wiped $8M from cops' budget as murders soar by 90%

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9062431/Minneapolis-city-council-members-claim-never-advocated-defunding-police.html

As a side note its hysterical you have to get American "news" from a UK outlet,

sure as ^%$# ain't getting nothing but propaganda from American rags.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Stupid is as stupid does...

When you try to warn people that what they are doing is unwise and they refuse to listen, sometimes you just gotta let them fall on their faces in order to see the error of their ways...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

This leaves out a lot of key facts. 1) the 8 million is about 4 percent of the budget. 2) it wasn’t cut, they shifted the resources elsewhere 3) none of the cuts were to reduce the number of police.

The stats they look at for the entire year. It’s almost as if crime rises during recessions. There was also riots which did increase reportable crime as well.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

This leaves out a lot of key facts. 1) the 8 million is about 4 percent of the budget. 2) it wasn’t cut, they shifted the resources elsewhere 3) none of the cuts were to reduce the number of police.

The stats they look at for the entire year. It’s almost as if crime rises during recessions. There was also riots which did increase reportable crime as well.

Agreed.  I think the most important thing here was that in spite of some tough negotiations, all stakeholders felt validated and respected.  I also think the story unfairly paints these two noble civil servants as advocates of defunding the police simply because they espoused sentiments like “Defund the police!”.  

Plus, there were riots, and crimes committed during the riots are unfairly glomped in with crime statistics.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m reminded of a famous Forrest Gump quote....😉

When you try to warn people that what they are doing is unwise and they refuse to listen, sometimes you just gotta let them fall on their faces in order to see the error of their ways...

Good quote but maybe there's some uncut version of that movie I'm not aware of.

• Haha (+1) 2

I would give McConnell credit for defunding the police. State and local budget cuts due to the covid  disaster without federal aid . Federal aid for disasters like hurricane , flooding etc but leave this disaster for Biden to take the blame.  jmo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ALF said:

I would give McConnell credit for defunding the police. State and local budget cuts due to the covid  disaster without federal aid . Federal aid for disasters like hurricane , flooding etc but leave this disaster for Biden to take the blame.  jmo

So in the World According to Alf this entire ‘defunding the police’ thing was actually just fiscally driven policy making and not a reaction to systemic racism? Well, now we know the real story. Thanks for clearing that up. Please get a memo to BLM, Antifa and the others on the front lines. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So in the World According to Alf this entire ‘defunding the police’ thing was actually just fiscally driven policy making and not a reaction to systemic racism? Well, now we know the real story. Thanks for clearing that up. Please get a memo to BLM, Antifa and the others on the front lines. 

You're welcome ,  and screw Antifa

10 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Agreed.  I think the most important thing here was that in spite of some tough negotiations, all stakeholders felt validated and respected.  I also think the story unfairly paints these two noble civil servants as advocates of defunding the police simply because they espoused sentiments like “Defund the police!”.  

Plus, there were riots, and crimes committed during the riots are unfairly glomped in with crime statistics.  

The point is it’s a stretch to say this 4 percent shift in funds led to the increased cases.

Would you care to explain how the 4 percent budget shift without changing the officers on the ground changed crime stats?

perhaps if we have the same amount of officers and more crime, those officers are no longer performing at an adequate level and should be let go.

42 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

The point is it’s a stretch to say this 4 percent shift in funds led to the increased cases.

Would you care to explain how the 4 percent budget shift without changing the officers on the ground changed crime stats?

perhaps if we have the same amount of officers and more crime, those officers are no longer performing at an adequate level and should be let go.

Hold on Back, I agreed with you, I even mentioned the shared mutual respect of all stakeholders! It's fairly obvious that nothing at all is going on, it's just a blip on the radar.  A riot blip if you will.  The devoted servants to the public now being tied to this mythical 'defund the police' conspiracy theory are the true victims here. 

You're probably correct on letting go the officers currently on the force--trying times call for bold action.  

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

https://www.rt.com/usa/515571-minneapolis-police-extra-funding/

Minneapolis releases $6.4mn to police to hire new recruits, as depleted force

struggles with soaring crime after calls to defund

No *&^%, huh

Who would want to be a cop in any large city right now? They are either totally corrupt if the Dems are right or you are daily fighting that perception and unable to do much good. If I as a teacher had to fight that perception daily I would quit and make more money.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/18/2020 at 8:14 AM, SoCal Deek said:

You're right to point out it wasn't a fiscal issue at its inception.  We all lived through it so we know what happened and I'm not surprised there's some historical revisionism going on given the idea appears to be a failure.  The Defund movement was launched as a result of misconduct such as the George Floyd killing.  These events also brought the BLM movement to prominence.  And although it got support from local government officials in many cities the idea of defunding and eliminating police didn't play to well with the citizens in the cities.  Polls showed a vast majority wanted either the "same level of policing" or "more".  

As the BLM/activist movement expressed their ire and hate towards the police many choose to pack it in, take retirement or leave the force.  This left cities shorthanded and short-shifted in patrol numbers and coverage.  It seems like crime rose in proportion to those cuts.  Of course the citizens in the communities the activist targeted for "their help" suffered the most (maybe a lesson to avoid activists!).  A core concept behind the idea was many types of situations the police were responding to were inappropriate for law enforcement and their presence only escalated the situation.  Such as domestic disputes.  The idea was to substitute community and social activists for the police in these cases along with others that were equipped to handle these types of issues,  It might be a good concept in theory but it doesn't seem to be getting much traction to this point.     

Edited by All_Pro_Bills