Bills sign Brandon Beane to contract extension!!!

Logic

37 minutes ago, klos63 said:

even a team friendly deal is gonna be around $40m per season.

He’s worth it. If we can get him extended through 2025 we’re set. 

25 minutes ago, Beast said:

I am willing to bet that Doug Marrone regrets leaving here every day his dumb ass wakes up.

He’s right there with Gase as one of the worst QB developers in the game. We are so lucky he left. 

• Like (+1) 3

BB is good for the Bills but the Bills are also good for Beane. He's got a good rep in the business and he's only 44 years old. If he didn't think the future was bright he would not commit. His decision confirms where this team is headed. It will soon be a perennial powerhouse IMO. His greatest achievement so far was his assessment of a small school outlier QB and his belief in what he could become.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The giddiness in this thread is hilarious.😄

image.png.9e8747adb0ba4d8b6750208ce6498ec4.png

Where was Beane going again?   He's basically the hand-picked assistant to McDermott and they have a building full of GM candidates who only wish they could take over a team with a franchise QB already in place.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Rumor has it the reason this extension took so long was Peg's was trying to get Beane to agree to also take over the Sabres!

It wouldn't surprise me if a football guy knew more than the past 4 GM's the sabres have had.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sure, why not? 

I've never once advocated for getting rid of Beane or McDermott.

They've both made some egregious errors.......McDermott passing on Mahomes was as bad as it gets..........Beane's Kelvin Benjamin trade......his terrible 2018 free agent class.......giving away $3.5M for a two week trial on Corey Coleman...........his drafting of Cody Ford with 3 amazing WR1's on the board(which forced his hand to trade a bunch of picks for Diggs in the following draft)........trading potential 2020 All Pro Wyatt Teller for a late pick.   

You could certainly make the argument that his judgement wrt personnel is as mixed as the Bills previous GM's.

But he earned my support when he made the moves and selected Josh Allen..........whether it worked out or not he was the first GM to actually take a QB with the Bills original first round pick or trade up from it since they took Richie Lucas in 1960.     More than the GM or HC hires the reason they haven't been winning was trying to shortcut on the QB position.

And he is the first GM that the Bills have had where I've actually liked every one of the players the Bills chose in round 1 this far into his regime.  

Just as important are a couple intangibles:

1) Beane and McDermott adjust to their mistakes.......they aren't stubborn about being right in their evaluations or decisions........they quickly pivoted from Rick Dennison,  big possession WR's and a bunch of other mistakes.     

2) The MF'ers are LUCKY..........and as someone who also possesses that trait..........I most definitely approve.   A combo who can pass on Mahomes and get a shot at a Josh Allen the very next draft season is incredibly lucky.   Trade away a pick that becomes Justin Jefferson........but gets a vet who is exceeds many expectations.    It's fascinating how many opportunities McBeane have had land in their laps and they have made a bunch of mistakes but they always seem to get a mulligan.     Lucky is even better than good.    

Before they “got lucky” with allen, they broke an almost 2 decade streak of not making the playoffs in their first year.  With Tyrod AND sweet nate Pete.  Mistakes are made, as Bill Belichick can attest.  It’s about how you bounce back from those mistakes that will determine your success.  

To get allen, he didn’t just fall into our laps.  Beane had to make it happen.  He had to “not give up too much” according to some.  He didn’t.  He traded up 15 spots to get to 7 to get the qb that he wanted...without giving up our 2nd 1st rd pick AND kept the following years first. Slick. Pretty incredible job parlaying Tyrod Taylor into what was essentially a 2nd rd pick.  Gaining 11 draft slots for current journeyman Cordy Glenn...., genius. 

He misses on some small stuff but he’s hit home runs.

He missed on Benjamin, and was maligned for not having an eye for WR talent.  2 years later we have one of the best WR units in the league.  Four very good WRs.  That’s not counting Mckenzie, who was a shrewd waiver addition. Lil Dirty is a very underrated piece in this offense.  As a decoy, he’s effective. When he gets the ball, he’s effective.

He inherited one of the worst OL ls in league history.   In 2 years since, he’s put together a dominant pass blocking OL for a heavy passing offense.  

Our run D that was last in the league has improved and the DL that was being hated on early, has been making plays and earning their money.  A tad overpaid? Yeah, I’d agree with that, but they have been performing admirably in recent weeks.  The DL needed the coaching staff to use them properly.  They needed to be more aggressive.  McD did just that. 

My boy Aj Klein was a huge miss and Beane was getting smeared for his addition in the first half of the season.  The signing is actually starting to look like a good investment. Afc Dpow? Sheesh.  

How about our special teams?  Andre Robert’s....one of the best in the league.  He stole Bojo from Belichick.  Bass is looking like a stud.  Our STs is top tier.  

He hasn’t hit a home run with our running backs or tight end.....yet.  Knox still has a chance.  I think the best is yet to come from motor and Moss. 

This is one of the best rosters in football and has maybe the most polarizing qb in history.  They are way better than lucky.  

Edit:  and the Vikings are lucky that a talent like Jefferson wasn't draft by Philly, who chose Jalen Reagor instead.  The Vikings didn’t trade up to get Jefferson, he luckily fell into their laps thanks to a GM that seems to know little about WRs

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The giddiness in this thread is hilarious.😄

image.png.9e8747adb0ba4d8b6750208ce6498ec4.png

Where was Beane going again?   He's basically the hand-picked assistant to McDermott and they have a building full of GM candidates who only wish they could take over a team with a franchise QB already in place.

image.jpeg.cf6363e1b1702b8ca73caab5a0036cce.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, billspro said:

He’s worth it. If we can get him extended through 2025 we’re set

He’s right there with Gase as one of the worst QB developers in the game. We are so lucky he left. 

We already have him through 2022, I can't imagine a contract less than 7 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Stability! .. great news! 

Yup.  This is what Pegula said:

"You have to have continuity.  I don’t care if you’re drilling oil in gas wells or you’re running a sports team. If you keep changing things, nothing’s going to work."

"(everyone) needs to know that, through the good and the bad, there’s stability. The players need to know there’s stability," Pegula said. 

• Like (+1) 1