OMG - He said what? Adam Gase admits he hasn't helped Sam Darnold develop as NFL QB

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

He won't be there. I bet he won't even make it to "Black Monday". The Jets finish the season at NE for 1:00 game. I bet sometime during the 4:00 games or definitely by SNF it will be announced he was fired. If Douglas hits a HR with the next HC then Jets could turn it around. The Johnson's could easily ruin it though.

The Johnsons..., And there lies the main impediment to the jets success...

I salute him for being honest.  The front office deserves a ton of the blame.  Allen was a little more raw at the start but they had very similar starts to their career and the Jets just became a joke team.  Would any receiver on their team be in our top 3? Maybe Crowder? Garbage o line. Garbage rbs.  

I know they are rivals but I hate seeing young qbs get ruined.  I have no doubts Darnold would be a much, much better player for us than in NJ.  Joke franchise.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I salute him for being honest.  The front office deserves a ton of the blame.  Allen was a little more raw at the start but they had very similar starts to their career and the Jets just became a joke team.  Would any receiver on their team be in our top 3? Maybe Crowder? Garbage o line. Garbage rbs.  

I know they are rivals but I hate seeing young qbs get ruined.  I have no doubts Darnold would be a much, much better player for us than in NJ.  Joke franchise.

I am not so sure about Darnold. Yes the Jets have done him no favors but he doesn't appear to go thru his reads/progressions quick enough to be a successful QB. For a 3rd year QB who is supposed to be a franchise QB that is a red flag. Look at Burrow and Herbert both in their rookie years have played much better than Darnold. Look at how far Allen has improved from his rookie year. Yes the Bills have helped him building the team around him but Allen sees the play much better and makes better decisions in knowing where to go with ball. Yes he still has the occasional blunder but overall he is a much better QB. Darnold doesn't look like he has the "it" factor that you need to be a top QB. Allen is showing it in year 3 and Burrow, Herbert have in their rookie years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Back before the draft in which all these QBs came out (Allen, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, etc.), people seemed to be in agreement that success for ANY of them would depend a lot on the circumstances they found themselves in on their team.

Would they get the right nurturing, development, coaching?  Would they enter an organizational tire fire?

Ironically, most of the bigger names (at the time) seem to have found themselves in bad situations, including Mayfield.  I would argue Mayfield has the talent to overcome that, and the Browns' situation has leveled off to help as well.

But Darnold is in a nightmare situation, and Josh Rosen might have had the least lucky start to an NFL career in NFL history.

I still say Josh Rosen has a shot at salvaging his career, but it will be down the road in a second or third or 4th life kind of situation, something like Tannehill is doing now in Nashville.

Of the bunch, Josh Allen seems to have found himself in the best supportive situation where growth is possible.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I am not so sure about Darnold. Yes the Jets have done him no favors but he doesn't appear to go thru his reads/progressions quick enough to be a successful QB. For a 3rd year QB who is supposed to be a franchise QB that is a red flag. Look at Burrow and Herbert both in their rookie years have played much better than Darnold. Look at how far Allen has improved from his rookie year. Yes the Bills have helped him building the team around him but Allen sees the play much better and makes better decisions in knowing where to go with ball. Yes he still has the occasional blunder but overall he is a much better QB. Darnold doesn't look like he has the "it" factor that you need to be a top QB. Allen is showing it in year 3 and Burrow, Herbert have in their rookie years.

Burrow’s group - Green, Boyd, Higgins, woman puncher rb, very bad oline

Herbert - Allen, Mike Williams, Eckler, Henry

the best receiver Darnold ever played with is Robbie Anderson, who is a 2 at best.  Like he might suck. But I don’t know many qbs that would have been successful there. It’s the worst situation in the league offensively (NE is very close as well).  

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

For a so called offensive guru, his offenses have been abysmal.  He's never coached an offense better than 24th in yardage since leaving Denver.  So, yeah, I'd say Gase sucks and is more of a problem than Darnold (who also sucks).

I just don’t how you can acknowledge that Gase is a terrible offensive coach but then say Darnold sucks as well.  

21 hours ago, boater said:

It's about the toys you surround the QB with.

Josh Allen has some pretty nifty toys. Darnold is surrounded by lumps of coal.

But the QBs job is to make the lumps of coal look better than they actually are. Darnold for 3 years has failed to do that. He’s a career back up at best, David Carr 2.0

16 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

You mean letting Robbie Anderson walk and having Frank Gore as your bell cow behind a shoddy line wasn't a good idea?

Sure it was. It will get them the first overall pick in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/3/2020 at 4:52 PM, blacklabel said:

I've said it before, if Sam Darnold ever succeeds as an NFL quarterback, it won't be with the Jets. Now I'm starting to wonder where he might end up....Chicago? Carolina? New England?! I'll throw stuff. 

like throw a party? 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think if Mayfield or Darnold had the line and WR Josh had his rookie season, they would have been pummeled and scarred for life.  JMO.

Was just about to post something similar. Josh’s situation his rookie year was gawd-awful. Like, ridiculously bad. Sometimes the player just has to want it and have the mentality to work at it. Even in that awfulness of 2018 Josh showed plenty of signs of the “it” factor. A lot of you simply failed to see it and are now playing the revisionist history game.

Just now, Doc said:

If he's willing to sign as a backup, sure.

Nah, I think he gets a chance to start where ever he goes. He might have to earn it but I think everyone in the NFL is well aware of what an absolute garbage coach Gase is. Look at Tannehill since he left Miami. Look at Miami since they jettisoned Gase. And add Gase into what is already an inept organization in the Jets and I think anyone with a level head will take a flyer on the 3rd overall pick from a couple years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Sam Darnold with the pats? thats actually a little scary cause I feel NE can Fix him.

I would be a little worried. I just know the Pats are going to be digging for a QB now. They've won games they've had no business winning with absolutely terrible play from the QB position. Darnold will be on the radar for sure, very little risk with the chance for high reward is the Pats kind of move. Even average play this year from the QB position and they'd be in the hunt for East again.

Just now, Luka said:

I would be a little worried. I just know the Pats are going to be digging for a QB now. They've won games they've had no business winning with absolutely terrible play from the QB position. Darnold will be on the radar for sure, very little risk with the chance for high reward is the Pats kind of move. Even average play this year from the QB position and they'd be in the hunt for East again.

I just think he is way way better then what he has shown. Coaching staffs have ruined this kid but not unrepairable.

3 hours ago, Luka said:

Nah, I think he gets a chance to start where ever he goes. He might have to earn it but I think everyone in the NFL is well aware of what an absolute garbage coach Gase is. Look at Tannehill since he left Miami. Look at Miami since they jettisoned Gase. And add Gase into what is already an inept organization in the Jets and I think anyone with a level head will take a flyer on the 3rd overall pick from a couple years ago. 

If teams try to sign him as a starter, that will rule the Cheaters out. They won’t pay the money, even if it’s a contract in the late teens per year.

16 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Today's post game presser was the first time I felt bad for the dude. Hes at a career rick bottom, probably realizing for the first time that he IS NOT good at this. Best of luck in whatever civilian job you have after this Adam

He'll have opportunities as an assistant offensive (QB or WR) coach but have to work his way back to OC.  Head coaching jobs are done, though.

• Like (+1) 1