Jump to content

Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD


Recommended Posts

I think they were saving Mitch from himself. Give Mitch an extra week to heal up and go into the Chargers game with 3 weeks of rest after a concussion. Mitch might have been medically cleared but that doesn't mean a coach shouldn't exercise caution when he has a group playing well. Slide Mitch back in at center and move Mongo to RG.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coming off concussion Protocols and a bye week coming up, I would have sat the guy to I wouldn't read into this too much         ..

When will people realize McDermott is an issue with this team?

Hard for me to believe that Feliciano would not be an upgrade over Winters, and that having Morse and Feliciano both on the line would be a NET upgrade over the current rotation.    I better

Posted Images

If we are going to get a more balanced attack, I think this could be our best 5:

Dawkins - Boettger - Morse - Feliciano - Williams

 

I say ‘could be’ because I don’t think we’ve seen this lineup all year long.  I do think Boettger is > Winters and for sure, Feliciano > Winters.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 6:08 PM, Coach Tuesday said:


Then why wouldn’t he just say it was a health issue?

 

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Spain, Morse and Murphy the three biggest FA acquisitions for Beane thus far?  McD has benched all of them (or at least two of them, whatever the hell he meant re: Morse).

 

You are wrong. Despite some posters repeating this Murphy was inactive for one game this year when Bills tried to do something different and it did not work.  Maybe you meant Smith?

2020 Games

      Tackles Off. Snaps Def. Snaps ST Snaps
Date Week Tm   Opp Result GS Sk Solo Ast Comb TFL QBHits Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct
2020-09-13 1 BUF   NYJ W 27-17 * 1.0 2 0 2 1 1 0 0% 25 45% 9 35%
2020-09-20 2 BUF @ MIA W 31-28 * 0.0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0% 39 52% 6 20%
2020-09-27 3 BUF   LAR W 35-32 * 0.0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0% 39 57% 9 38%
2020-10-04 4 BUF @ LVR W 30-23 * 0.0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0% 40 54% 6 22%
2020-10-13 5 BUF @ TEN L 16-42 * 0.0 2 1 3 0 0 0 0% 32 48% 2 8%
2020-10-25 7 BUF @ NYJ W 18-10   1.0 2 1 3 1 2 0 0% 24 42% 8 35%
2020-11-01 8 BUF   NWE W 24-21 *             0 0% 37 57% 4 16%
2020-11-08 9 BUF   SEA W 44-34 * 0.0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0% 29 45% 10 29%
2020-11-15 10 BUF @ ARI L 30-32 * 0.0 4 0 4 0 0 0 0% 34 47% 6 18
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 12:02 PM, Peter said:

 

As Fairburn states, "Sean McDermott’s vague comments on Mitch Morse do a disservice to Morse and to the fans."

 

 

 

 

IMO what the coach should do is ignore reporters who start their own slant rather than facts.  I have seen this done a lot but easier when you pick the reporter for questions rather than being in a video board where each of the reporters' questioned are asked.  Still you could pick the reporter last and mention ahead of time conference will be ended if questions are answered and the question is repeated again.

 

Bills dealt with those type of reporters for years and not healthy for team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

 

IMO what the coach should do is ignore reporters who start their own slant rather than facts.  I have seen this done a lot but easier when you pick the reporter for questions rather than being in a video board where each of the reporters' questioned are asked.  Still you could pick the reporter last and mention ahead of time conference will be ended if questions are answered and the question is repeated again.

 

Bills dealt with those type of reporters for years and not healthy for team.

I highlighted it in the thread prior, but McDermott seems to follow a pretty common interview tactic. 
 

If someone asks a question that he doesn’t want to answer, he just sort of recycles the question as his answer. The last question about “did Morse doing something off the field that caused him to not play, or was it a football decision?”

 

He very simply says “It was a football decision.” 
 

He’s too respectful to do much more than that IMO. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

 

You are wrong. Despite some posters repeating this Murphy was inactive for one game this year when Bills tried to do something different and it did not work.  Maybe you meant Smith?

2020 Games

      Tackles Off. Snaps Def. Snaps ST Snaps
Date Week Tm   Opp Result GS Sk Solo Ast Comb TFL QBHits Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct
2020-09-13 1 BUF   NYJ W 27-17 * 1.0 2 0 2 1 1 0 0% 25 45% 9 35%
2020-09-20 2 BUF @ MIA W 31-28 * 0.0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0% 39 52% 6 20%
2020-09-27 3 BUF   LAR W 35-32 * 0.0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0% 39 57% 9 38%
2020-10-04 4 BUF @ LVR W 30-23 * 0.0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0% 40 54% 6 22%
2020-10-13 5 BUF @ TEN L 16-42 * 0.0 2 1 3 0 0 0 0% 32 48% 2 8%
2020-10-25 7 BUF @ NYJ W 18-10   1.0 2 1 3 1 2 0 0% 24 42% 8 35%
2020-11-01 8 BUF   NWE W 24-21 *             0 0% 37 57% 4 16%
2020-11-08 9 BUF   SEA W 44-34 * 0.0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0% 29 45% 10 29%
2020-11-15 10 BUF @ ARI L 30-32 * 0.0 4 0 4 0 0 0 0% 34 47% 6 18

 

 

Healthy scratch = benched

 

btw......those look quite a bit like Shaq's stats in Miami this year.:flirt:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to throw this out there, if Morse is cleared health wise going into Sunday and the team is playing it safe and he isn't on the injured list then McDermott has to say it was football decision. If he says he wasn't healthy and we were just being safe, it leaves the Bills open to a fine or draft pick compensation losses. See Jerry Hughes 2 years ago I think it was, wasn't on the injured list but his wrist was injured and we caught a fine. So using the football decision makes sense, protects the team and Morse

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Monty98 said:

Just to throw this out there, if Morse is cleared health wise going into Sunday and the team is playing it safe and he isn't on the injured list then McDermott has to say it was football decision. If he says he wasn't healthy and we were just being safe, it leaves the Bills open to a fine or draft pick compensation losses. See Jerry Hughes 2 years ago I think it was, wasn't on the injured list but his wrist was injured and we caught a fine. So using the football decision makes sense, protects the team and Morse

 

I think this is it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 10:36 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

FWIW, in Daboll's presser he said "they've played a couple of games together and that's the direction we decided to go with for this game.  That doesn't mean anything for this week or the week after that".  He said it was a decision to maintain continuity on the OL: "just have some continuity going with those guys, they've done a good job, and we'll see where we go from that". 🤷‍♂️

 

 

Ok, but many of us armchair Coaches have opined since early last season that our run game improves dramatically with Mongo at Center.  Morse is very adept, but Feliciano is an animal. Poise & precision or Punch ‘em in the mouth?🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh-oh...is this the equivalent of "Jon Feliciano Has Entered the Chat"?

 

image.thumb.png.4a44e53df081e9d51b43b51458e77fe6.png

 

Hopefully he's just saying he'd rather be back on the field this Sunday in any capacity, not lobbying to stay under center! 

I agree with the people who say the line should be overall better with both Morse and Feliciano on the field.

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 7:58 PM, Monty98 said:

Just to throw this out there, if Morse is cleared health wise going into Sunday and the team is playing it safe and he isn't on the injured list then McDermott has to say it was football decision. If he says he wasn't healthy and we were just being safe, it leaves the Bills open to a fine or draft pick compensation losses. See Jerry Hughes 2 years ago I think it was, wasn't on the injured list but his wrist was injured and we caught a fine. So using the football decision makes sense, protects the team and Morse

 

1) Since Morse was on the injury report, I don't think this applies - as far as I know, there is no requirement to list a guy as "questionable" in order to hold him out for injury

image.thumb.png.24fdbe0147828cef5a84bc3595a0c0c6.png

2) While the concern re: an injured player not showing on injury reports is correct, the Bills were cleared of wrongdoing and not fined over Jerry Hughes:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28575683/nfl-finds-bills-violate-reporting-policy-jerry-hughes-wrist-injury

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Uh-oh...is this the equivalent of "Jon Feliciano Has Entered the Chat"?

 

image.thumb.png.4a44e53df081e9d51b43b51458e77fe6.png

 

Hopefully he's just saying he'd rather be back on the field this Sunday in any capacity, not lobbying to stay under center! 

I agree with the people who say the line should be overall better with both Morse and Feliciano on the field.

 

I am Twit-illit.  What does that even mean?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 11:28 PM, billsfan89 said:

I think they were saving Mitch from himself. Give Mitch an extra week to heal up and go into the Chargers game with 3 weeks of rest after a concussion. Mitch might have been medically cleared but that doesn't mean a coach shouldn't exercise caution when he has a group playing well. Slide Mitch back in at center and move Mongo to RG.


Either he’s medically cleared or he’s not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:


Either he’s medically cleared or he’s not. 

I'll be shocked and dissapointed if Mitch isn't in there next week if healthy and Winters isn't sent to the bench where he belongs.(Assuming Ford is also healthy) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'll be shocked and dissapointed if Mitch isn't in there next week if healthy and Winters isn't sent to the bench where he belongs.(Assuming Ford is also healthy) 

 

Me too. 

 

As far as "medically cleared" I thought what Daboll and McDermott said was pretty straightforward.  They wanted to get another look at the OL they had through the previous 2 games.

 

The Bills had 2 wins with the Boettger-Feliciano-Winters interior OL.  In one of those 2 games, they had 190 yds and 5 ypc running the ball, with 167 of those yards belonging to the two RBs.  In the other, they had 19 yds on 11 rushes.  It's pretty clear that Feliciano does (at least) a decent job playing center, and most experts believe changes on OL hinder run blocking.    The outcome was, our run game against a good run D in AZ was not so good with 35 yds on 11 carries for the 2 backs.

 

I think the best overall OL on our current roster is probably Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Feliciano-Williams, so if we can field that line healthy, that's what I expect to see.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Simon locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...