Joe B article on the game (Athletic). Fair.

I think Joe's assessment is pretty fair in this one:

https://theathletic.com/2200307/2020/11/16/bills-cardinals-josh-allen/?source=emp_shared_article

(paywall, trial available)

It all began with the pass rush. The Bills got Murray on the run and likely intended to keep him in front of them and on his back foot. As we saw during the game and over the course of the season, when Murray finds room to operate when rolling to his left, he can make a defense pay. The Bills’ edge rusher on the play was defensive end Mario Addison, who’d forced Murray to run horizontally throughout the game without much success. Addison worked past his blocker as Murray began to roll toward him and, at one point, was within 2 yards of Murray without a blocker between them. At that moment, Addison had a choice: He could play it safe and move side to side to try to disrupt Murray or he could go for it all and try to end the game with a sack. Even though the Bills focused on staying square all week, Addison lunged at Murray and missed. That gave Murray space to throw and he bought more time by rolling as far left as he could. Had Addison played it safe and held Murray up until reinforcements arrived, Addison likely would have forced Murray into an uneven throw as time expired. He made the wrong choice and left it up to the secondary to make the play.

Once the ball was in the air, the outcome still was in the Bills’ favor. The defense was in quarters coverage, and by the time Hopkins went to pull in the reception, he was engulfed by three Bills’ defenders. The defensive backs were in perfect position, and likely nine times out of ten, that ball hits the ground. Why didn’t the defenders try to knock the ball down? White was a little underneath in coverage, and if he went barreling into Hopkins’s chest first, he ran the risk of getting flagged for defensive pass interference. So, White tried to box out Hopkins and use both hands to try to bat down the pass. The problem was not the technique itself; it was that Hopkins timed the jump better than anyone else, had the best leaping ability of the four players and had strong enough hands to complete the catch.

While some might criticize those defensive backs for not knocking down the pass, I’m chalking it up as an unbelievable play by one of the best receivers in the league. Sometimes it is that simple. The pass and the jump had to be perfect to beat that tight coverage, and they were. To me, the player most at fault was Addison, who went for the big play rather than the smart play well before the throw. If he didn’t do that, I firmly believe the Bills would be 8-2 at this moment.

I think it's probably a fair point that if White goes up one handed and gets higher, he might knock it away - but it's also a fair point that it's easier for a top WR to overcome one hand to make a catch if the knock-away isn't perfect.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think this is a great point on Addison.  When he lunged and missed, I felt a bit of dread as Murray rolled left and had all sorts of room to wind up.  I certainly didn't think anyone would catch it, but it didn't need to get to that point.   Addison doesn't do that and he's simply running with Murray, which doesn't allow Murray to reset and launch.

Addison abandoned every principle of how that last play needed to be defensed.

Edited by SCBills

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://theathletic.com/2200307/2020/11/16/bills-cardinals-josh-allen/?source=emp_shared_article

It all began with the pass rush. The Bills got Murray on the run and likely intended to keep him in front of them and on his back foot. As we saw during the game and over the course of the season, when Murray finds room to operate when rolling to his left, he can make a defense pay. The Bills’ edge rusher on the play was defensive end Mario Addison, who’d forced Murray to run horizontally throughout the game without much success. Addison worked past his blocker as Murray began to roll toward him and, at one point, was within 2 yards of Murray without a blocker between them. At that moment, Addison had a choice: He could play it safe and move side to side to try to disrupt Murray or he could go for it all and try to end the game with a sack. Even though the Bills focused on staying square all week, Addison lunged at Murray and missed. That gave Murray space to throw and he bought more time by rolling as far left as he could. Had Addison played it safe and held Murray up until reinforcements arrived, Addison likely would have forced Murray into an uneven throw as time expired. He made the wrong choice and left it up to the secondary to make the play.

Once the ball was in the air, the outcome still was in the Bills’ favor. The defense was in quarters coverage, and by the time Hopkins went to pull in the reception, he was engulfed by three Bills’ defenders. The defensive backs were in perfect position, and likely nine times out of ten, that ball hits the ground. Why didn’t the defenders try to knock the ball down? White was a little underneath in coverage, and if he went barreling into Hopkins’s chest first, he ran the risk of getting flagged for defensive pass interference. So, White tried to box out Hopkins and use both hands to try to bat down the pass. The problem was not the technique itself; it was that Hopkins timed the jump better than anyone else, had the best leaping ability of the four players and had strong enough hands to complete the catch.

While some might criticize those defensive backs for not knocking down the pass, I’m chalking it up as an unbelievable play by one of the best receivers in the league. Sometimes it is that simple. The pass and the jump had to be perfect to beat that tight coverage, and they were. To me, the player most at fault was Addison, who went for the big play rather than the smart play well before the throw. If he didn’t do that, I firmly believe the Bills would be 8-2 at this moment.

I think it's probably a fair point that if White goes up one handed and gets higher, he might knock it away - but it's also a fair point that it's easier for a top WR to overcome one hand to make a catch if the knock-away isn't perfect.

From Peter King’s column today:

“The game’s on the line,” Murray said. “I can’t get tackled here. There was no chance he was tackling me. No chance. The angle he took at me, I’m fortunate he took that angle,” Murray said. Addison touched Murray but didn’t have a good shot at him really, and flew past. Murray took another step, then turned upfield, maybe eight yards from the Cardinal sideline at about the Arizona 48-yard line.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Have to agree... Hughes play on the wilson INT the week before is the example of this.  Just stay with him and force him to worry about you, and not have his eyes down field.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

From Peter King’s column today:

“The game’s on the line,” Murray said. “I can’t get tackled here. There was no chance he was tackling me. No chance. The angle he took at me, I’m fortunate he took that angle,” Murray said. Addison touched Murray but didn’t have a good shot at him really, and flew past. Murray took another step, then turned upfield, maybe eight yards from the Cardinal sideline at about the Arizona 48-yard line.

Got a linky?

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Addison did the same thing on Murray’s TD run.  Went for the fake and flailed taking himself out of the play.  After 10 games who wouldn’t trade Shaq Lawson for Addison right now?  

Well thats a read-option... he played the back.  If he plays the QB then he hands it off.  

• Like (+1) 1

Tony Dungy (on the Sunday night pregame show) thought the Bills should have jammed the Arizona receivers at the LOS.  Don't know if that would have made a difference.  He also thought Buffalo paid too much attention to Arizona players who were not going to be targets.  Another possibility, had Buffalo expected a Hail Mary, would have been to put some receivers on the field, Kumerow and Davis come to mind, who have physical attributes to contest a Hail Mary better than White and Hyde, who aren't that big.  As always, hindsight is easier than foresight.

25 minutes ago, H2o said:

Poyer also jumped early and bumped White just slightly out of position while in the air. 

It wasn't slight.  He knocked Tre on his ass.  Tre still has a chance to get a hand in there and rip the ball loose until Poyer cleans him out.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Tony Dungy (on the Sunday night pregame show) thought the Bills should have jammed the Arizona receivers at the LOS.  Don't know if that would have made a difference.  He also thought Buffalo paid too much attention to Arizona players who were not going to be targets.  Another possibility, had Buffalo expected a Hail Mary, would have been to put some receivers on the field, Kumerow and Davis come to mind, who have physical attributes to contest a Hail Mary better than White and Hyde, who aren't that big.  As always, hindsight is easier than foresight.

YEs, Bellicheck used to use Gronk as a db in that situation.  Our coaches need to be smarter.

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

As I said elsewhere, Kenyon Drake was on the field and scored a final second td on the most miraculous play (vs NE) two before. And it wasn’t a hail mary. You can’t ignore that as a coach. 

Just now, bigK14094 said:

YEs, Bellicheck used to use Gronk as a db in that situation.  Our coaches need to be smarter.

That worked so well vs. Kenyon Drake two years ago, who was literally the RB on the field for AZ on that play yesterday!

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Addison did the same thing on Murray’s TD run.  Went for the fake and flailed taking himself out of the play.  After 10 games who wouldn’t trade Shaq Lawson for Addison right now?  

Shaq has literally half as many sacks and TFL's as Addison to this point............he hasn't been good at all......think 2016-2018 Shaq....... and they have him on the books for $10.5M  guaranteed next year.

And if you think he was going to be a difference maker against Murray in the open field you are nuts.    

Addison has been somewhat disappointing but he's been able to fill in some at the Lorax position as well as DE........he had good plays against Mahomes as a spy and has 3 passes defensed thus far this season too.    Much more versatile player.

They gotta' get better than Addison and Shaq at DE........hopefully Johnson and Epenesa become those guys..........but Addison is just a rental and not one of their bigger issues on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

People who've been following Shaq's play in Miami this season.  Was that a trick question?

Addison has not been a game-changer but he's played OK.  I don't know how he's being coached, but certainly a factor for him has been going for the kill shot instead of doing his 1/11.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Shaq's playing time in Miami is dwindling aka he's not a full time starter as he's gone from 94% of their defensive snaps in the 1st week to 41% in their Week 9 game, Week 10 stats aren't up yet. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LawsSh00.htm  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shaq has literally half as many sacks and TFL's as Addison to this point............he hasn't been good at all......think 2016-2018 Shaq....... and they have him on the books for $10.5M  guaranteed next year.

And if you think he was going to be a difference maker against Murray in the open field you are nuts.    

Addison has been somewhat disappointing but he's been able to fill in some at the Lorax position as well as DE........he had good plays against Mahomes as a spy and has 3 passes defensed thus far this season too.    Much more versatile player.

They gotta' get better than Addison and Shaq at DE........hopefully Johnson and Epenesa become those guys..........but Addison is just a rental and not one of their bigger issues on defense.

If Johnson was better he'd be getting more snaps, Espenesa getting hurt didn't help his cause yesterday. 

I think Beane takes too much heat for the offseason moves..  He didn't resign Shaq/Phillips because they were getting long term deals and he didn't want to get locked into that. 

Due to this, we ended up with guys on shorter deals that we can cut bait with after one year if it doesn't work out.  

I fully expect us to shake up the DL and let Milano walk this offseason.  If i'm proven wrong and we lose Williams or Feliciano because we want to keep $$$ tied up in DL guys on an average defense, I may start changing my tune.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a good take.

Re his defense of the DB's, I have been thinking about it more and tend to agree. I know I have been in the position in basketball a lot where I am boxing out a guy for a rebound, have perfect position, and jump up, and the much more athletic and taller guy gets the ball (with ease)-- and there is nothing I can do. You can't tip a ball that is coming straight down and where you are 6-12 inches below the highest guy. It is impossible. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Shaq's playing time in Miami is dwindling aka he's not a full time starter as he's gone from 94% of their defensive snaps in the 1st week to 41% in their Week 9 game, Week 10 stats aren't up yet. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LawsSh00.htm  

If Johnson was better he'd be getting more snaps, Espenesa getting hurt didn't help his cause yesterday. 

Shaq had a history of being somewhat less than focused on reaching his potential...........that's why they didn't trust him enough to pick up his 5th year option after 3 years of flat production.    The early returns in Miami aren't good.

Johnson and Epenesa are works in progress.

Johnson is buying time for himself by being very impactful on special teams.

Epenesa shows flashes but his experience in Iowa was similar........he came in as a rare 5 star recruit.........then seemed to struggle to adapt to the college game........until the switch went on and then he was a beast.    

The hope here is that Epenesa gets stronger and smarter and develops better technique..........but the one thing about him versus Shaq is you probably don't have to worry about seeing him in the Buffalo airport on Sunday evening after a game with bags of popeye's chicken as he goes to play Wooderson on his "off" day at his old college campus.

The feeling is that Epenesa is going to work for it...........if he doesn't get there it won't be as obviously why Shaq hasn't. 

Fluke play and 9 out of 10 times wont happen. But yes, Addison and White both had plays to be made. Addison goes for sack and takes bad angle letting Murray get off a better pass. Then white Jumps with both arms up trying to catch the ball; he jumps with one he gets higher and knocks it down. 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Took a timeout, Murray likes to run to the left, Hopkins lined up by himself to the left, yet we allow him to go to left.  Coaching matter people, ours isn't good enough.  Should have never let him go left.

You can't lunge for him.  That was probably coached and drilled down all week.  Disciplined rush lanes, rush depth.  Just stay in front of him and others will follow.  If he just takes the angle there murray's eyes aren't down field, he's probably throwing it away to guarantee the hail mary. 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Took a timeout, Murray likes to run to the left, Hopkins lined up by himself to the left, yet we allow him to go to left.  Coaching matter people, ours isn't good enough.  Should have never let him go left.

In your expert opinion, what is the don't go left defense?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

you one hand the tip and it gives your safeties extra leeway on hitting the receiver.a redirected ball going to a redirected wr isn’t getting caught there

51 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is a good take.

Re his defense of the DB's, I have been thinking about it more and tend to agree. I know I have been in the position in basketball a lot where I am boxing out a guy for a rebound, have perfect position, and jump up, and the much more athletic and taller guy gets the ball (with ease)-- and there is nothing I can do. You can't tip a ball that is coming straight down and where you are 6-12 inches below the highest guy. It is impossible. 

but he’s not a foot below. he’s 2 inches shorter, 1 inch shorter arms and 3-4 on the vertical. So max 6. if he rises up with one arm theoretically less than that even.

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Blitz on that side?

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Send Neal from the defenses right side.  He is big enough and fast enough to push Murray the other way.  Go back and look at Neal on the play.  Literally in no mans land protecting the area we actually wanted a WR to go to.  A WR catches the ball at the 15 yard line, the game is over.   That last play was coached really poorly.