Four Guys vs Hopkins

Irv

The defense was fine. Tre was in perfect position. Hop caught the ball and would have had to bring it down over Tres body....then Poyer comes crashing in, blasting White out of position and Hop makes the catch uncontested. Sad to say, but we lost due to friendly fire. Definitely a fluke play.

Edited by Andy1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Andy1 said:

The defense was fine. Tre was in perfect position. Hop caught the ball and would have had to bring it down over Tres body....the Poyer comes crashing in, blasting White out of position and Hop makes the catch uncontested. Sad to say, but we lost due to friendly fire. Definitely a fluke play.

What are you talking about?  Poyer was late on the play, he even said so himself.  By the time Poyer got there, Hop already had position.

The Cardinals had 11 seconds left, and the ball past midfield.  That is enough time for at least 2 plays.  Possibly 3.

This was not a moment for the Bills to bring in a bunch of offensive guys, who have no idea how to cover or tackle.

If the Bills brought in guys like Gabriel Davis and Dawson Knox, it would have been much easier for the Cardinals to complete a couple sideline passes.  Then instead of a Hail Mary, the Bills would have been trying to stop a completed pass from around the 25-30 yard line.  

I actually think the Bills played this one very smart.  They brought an extra rusher from the slot, which ultimately helped flush Kyler Murray from the pocket and forced him to waste extra time running around.  Mario Addison was actually close to reaching the QB.  And on the back-end, we had three defenders in position to knock the ball away from DeAndre Hopkins.  If that ball gets knocked away, the Cardinals have 1-2 seconds left at most.

This play was not a coaching failure.  It was a spectacular catch by one of the NFL's best players.

What the Bills need to focus on over the next 2 weeks is all the OTHER plays in the second half, which led to them even being in a position to lose this game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Calling a defensive timeout and giving up a Hail Mary immediately after is always going to be a rough look for the coaching staff, even if it’s primarily the fault of the players.  

@#$%& EXACTLY.  I'm STILL sitting in front of the TV, haven't been able to move since yesterday afternoon.   That timeout is still sticking in my craw(I don't even know what that means but it sounds appropriate).  As soon as McDermott took it i was like WTF??  

It's not the worst loss in the world, it was to an NFC team, in their house, and not just any NFC team, the Cardinals are a solid football team.  For all intents and purposes, we should've won the game.  They lucked up on a fluke 1 in a million prayer.  

But I'm still scratching my head over that timeout.

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Cardinals had 11 seconds left, and the ball past midfield.  That is enough time for at least 2 plays.  Possibly 3.

This was not a moment for the Bills to bring in a bunch of offensive guys, who have no idea how to cover or tackle.

If the Bills brought in guys like Gabriel Davis and Dawson Knox, it would have been much easier for the Cardinals to complete a couple sideline passes.  Then instead of a Hail Mary, the Bills would have been trying to stop a completed pass from around the 25-30 yard line.  

I actually think the Bills played this one very smart.  They brought an extra rusher from the slot, which ultimately helped flush Kyler Murray from the pocket and forced him to waste extra time running around.  Mario Addison was actually close to reaching the QB.  And on the back-end, we had three defenders in position to knock the ball away from DeAndre Hopkins.  If that ball gets knocked away, the Cardinals have 1-2 seconds left at most.

This play was not a coaching failure.  It was a spectacular catch by one of the NFL's best players.

What the Bills need to focus on over the next 2 weeks is all the OTHER plays in the second half, which led to them even being in a position to lose this game.

Post of the day IMO, and it's only 7:15am.  

Very, very well said sir. 👍👍

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

That's just not true.  You didn't have good personnel when the WR was the tallest player.  Really, you could have put 11 guys on Hopkins, it's not going to matter if they are all shorter than him.  You can't do anything before he touches the ball, so the amount of players on him means nothing if he can get to the ball before any of the other players guarding him.  It's like it basketball when the forward gets a guard on him and immediately the PG will throw it to him.  It's bad coaching to allows the guard to switch on forward, same situation with this.  It's another example of bad coaching.

It's a jump ball where the tallest man wins, what the heck does the amount of players have anything to do with guarding him?  Those DBs can't touch Hopkins until he goes up and catches the ball.  He was in the endzone already, good thing those DBs tackled him from running.

“Tallest man wins” isn’t a thing. It’s not like we had a bunch of 5’9” guys competing against someone that’s 6’5”. I’ll take 3 guys that get paid to stop a WR from catching a ball to do their job any given day. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

The defense was fine. Tre was in perfect position. Hop caught the ball and would have had to bring it down over Tres body....then Poyer comes crashing in, blasting White out of position and Hop makes the catch uncontested. Sad to say, but we lost due to friendly fire. Definitely a fluke play.

Which a lot has to do with a cover 3 call there.  

28 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The last paragraph says it all.......great post.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I would have put Edmunds with his height and wingspan or some other taller players back there to battle Hopkins or whatever receiver would have been contesting for the ball but I've got no big dispute with your assessment.  I thought Josh Allen standing up and saying the loss was on him showed great leadership.  Sure the two picks didn't help but he left the field with 39 seconds left with the lead.  We could talk about the 12 yard punt that lead to 3 points.  Or a host of unnecessary penalties, pre-snap penalties, another hold downfield on Knox that wiped out a chunk play, the "blindside" 15 yarder on Singletary.  Or the defense surrendering 3 TD's in the 2nd half.  Or the offense going flat once again for a big stretch in the 2nd half with a good lead.   

Outside of the defense against the run the biggest issue with this team is a consistent flat and listless 3rd quarter almost every game.  As the opponent makes halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball and the Bills coaching staff has no answer.  That's got to get fixed down the stretch.     

Also, shout-outs to Bass and Beasley for huge games and clutch play.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

You have a 6'5 LB that runs a 4.5.  You don't need a WR, you need a good coach.

that is such a good point.  playing back as hail mary eraser would allow a pitch and catch underneath, but who cares?  clock woulda stopped at 00.  

the biggest gap between buffalo and the pats has always been situational preparation.  the pats always have an idea and a plan, doing nearly anything to get better results at ends of halfs and such, we are just terrible at it.

they flashed a state, prior to the miracle 58 yard kick by bass, that the bills were the worst 2nd quarter 2 minute team in the nfl, coming into the game w 3 points.

1 hour ago, JimKelly12 said:

Monday morning quarterbacking is always cheap therapy... 

I would have had Gabriel Davis in on the last play to knock the ball down

This was a game they should have lost with the way they played in the 3rd and part of the 4th....  BUT, this is the type of game they need headed into a playoff run.  They didn't quit and hopefully they can draw from that when it's needed again.

Please stop with this.  You don’t even know if Davis can cover anybody.  

The play was not even design to be a Hail Mary. Hopkins made it to the end zone because the play was broken.  It looked to be designed to get 20 yards to a the sideline and out of bounds. The QB got flushed out and almost sacked - instead he bought time rolling left.  That time is what enabled Hopkins on a scramble play to get into the end zone.  The pass was perfect, Hopkins jump was perfect and none of the Bills made a play.  

Further, we did not deserve to lose because of the 3Q.  We dominated the first half and we took a 14 point lead in the 3rd quarter.  Using your logic did Arizona deserve to lose because they fell behind by 14?   

Edited by Bob in STL

One of the best wideouts won against the Bills three best players from the secondary. Knock the ball down and or tackle his arms. 

Hopkins is fantastic and made a all-pro catch. At least it wasn't 12 to 87 or 83 or 81 or 11.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh for crying out loud; they had their 3 best DBs in position to compete for the ball against a single, 6’1” WR. They didn’t get it done. If that’s bad coaching I don’t know what to say.

I think there may be an element of coaching involved in that the three of them IMO were working against each other instead of coordinating on a mugging.  If Hyde goes for his arms and Tre' jumps one handed to knock out the ball and gets 6 more inches, we're good.

But there are something like 60 offensive plays in a football game, and less than 40 successful Hail Marys ever, so what do you focus on?

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

I thought about that too. Why didn’t they have Davis and Knox back there? Maybe worried about Murray running one in from 50 yards? I have no idea. Miami is winning the division 

Bear in mind that this guy was on the field during that play. You can’t leave this sort of thing uncovered and put a bunch of guys who don’t play defense in the end zone. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

“Tallest man wins” isn’t a thing. It’s not like we had a bunch of 5’9” guys competing against someone that’s 6’5”. I’ll take 3 guys that get paid to stop a WR from catching a ball to do their job any given day. 

huh, lol.  There is really no other response.   Literally the tallest man wins in jump balls.