The Slide (Stefon Diggs): smart move?

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yeah but what was up with the high stepping he was doing out there on a couple of plays? That was a bit odd. Not sure Coach wants him doing that. 

It’s a potential set up move.  Some see it as hot dogging.  Some see it as a potential juke depending on how the defender reacts to it.  

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah but what was up with the high stepping he was doing out there on a couple of plays? That was a bit odd. Not sure Coach wants him doing that. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As I understand it's just another move in the arsenal to make guys miss.  If you're running full bore it's hard on the joints and muscles to change speed (or change direction) suddenly but putting some air under your steps changes your speed and also allows a directional shift with less joint impact.  I'm pretty sure Coach approves and may even be teaching it.

Diggs is an artist and he was having fun out there.

It's simply a change up in your stride to try to fake the defender out. Trying to make them think you are going to change direction or make a juke move or something.

Singletary did it last year and successfully froze the defender with it to give him a bit of space to continue his run into the end zone.

• Like (+1) 1

It's much like another juke move. Disrupts timing of running at a constant speed and makes defenders hesitate for a moment. It isnt to show off. It's an actual move.

Very common in Rugby.

• Like (+1) 3

In the context of the game, it was a good move.  He didn’t need to take a hit and risk injury.  If you were behind or in the playoffs, maybe it’s a different story.  At this point in the year, get what you can without getting killed on virtually every play.  Wrs are some of the smallest guys on the field, have to have their health to be effective and really need to limit their damage.  I would encourage all the guys on our team to take the same approach when there is little chance to win.  A guy like Knox, Davis, Kroft, Moss, who could lower the shoulder and potentially score in a one on one situation, go for it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Smart play by Diggs...no problem with it at all,  as long as he picked up the first down and there was nowhere else for him to go...really, no different than players running out of bounds when there is nowhere else to go...

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s somewhat of a juke move...not a show off move 

• Like (+1) 2

I mean it made sense to me he'd gotten the 1st down and even some nice yards after catch and he was absolutely surrounded it would of had to be an absolute cluster ***** for him to get out of there. Might as well slide and avoid the hit.

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

There was nothing wrong with that he was trying to get the defender to make a mistake and if they did he could of really done some damage.

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Marvin Harrison used to do this.  He never took big hits in his career and probably why he was so good so long.

Marvin Harrison fell off a cliff in 2007 due to a knee injury at age 35. The year before at age 34 he 95 passes for 1300+ yards and 12 TD's. If Diggs can be as productive as he is now until age 34 I will gladly take that. Harrison is a pretty solid comparison to Diggs in some aspects. Both players are very smooth and shifty and have great hands.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It was my thought that Diggs had a choice of getting gang tackled by four opponents and gaining no more yards, or sliding for the same yards gained and not get his clock cleaned, imo it was a astute move by Diggs.

Go Bills!!!

Yes.  Diggs is complete receiver - brains and brawn.

• Like (+1) 2

Stevie Johnson used to avoid contact contextually - dipping out of bounds instead of struggling for another couple yards was a signature and it was part of the reason he had 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons while playing 48 out of 48 games.  I'm all for it.  The valor of fighting for a meaningless yard isn't worth missed games.

I think its a smart move that some coaches actually try to get their players to buy into IMO. In more of a finesse O I think it makes sense to reduce the amount of hits a player takes at the WR position IMO.

I think its something you are more likely to see from a play it smart kinda team/players.

Pats come to mind...

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/every-stefon-diggs-catch-from-his-118-yard-game-week-9

about 50 seconds in.  Diggs makes the catch for the first down, gains about 10 yds RAC, and finishes up with a nifty slide.  4 SeaSnakes defenders are closing on him when he slides and they're all like standing around looking a bit confused.  I think on some teams, a few of them would hit Diggs anyway and take their chances that the refs wouldn't call it.

I don't remember if I've ever seen a WR do this.  I guess I thought the "player who gives himself up" and slides rule only applies to QBs, because after all football is a tough game where usually players take pride in fighting for every yard.  But of course we had a good lead at the time and Diggs had just gained another 10 or so YAC. 

I didn't know what to think at the time but I decided it's smart savvy football.  Diggs is tough and will make those contested catches where he knows he's going to get hammered and fight for every yard when he needs it; why shouldn't he save his body and slide or go out of bounds when he can? Plus of course he's in the redzone, and if they managed to hold him up and strip the ball it could turn the game.

I was just surprised at the time.  I can't recall seeing another WR do this

Thoughts?

i have seen that from many WR's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/every-stefon-diggs-catch-from-his-118-yard-game-week-9

about 50 seconds in.  Diggs makes the catch for the first down, gains about 10 yds RAC, and finishes up with a nifty slide.  4 SeaSnakes defenders are closing on him when he slides and they're all like standing around looking a bit confused.  I think on some teams, a few of them would hit Diggs anyway and take their chances that the refs wouldn't call it.

I don't remember if I've ever seen a WR do this.  I guess I thought the "player who gives himself up" and slides rule only applies to QBs, because after all football is a tough game where usually players take pride in fighting for every yard.  But of course we had a good lead at the time and Diggs had just gained another 10 or so YAC. 

I didn't know what to think at the time but I decided it's smart savvy football.  Diggs is tough and will make those contested catches where he knows he's going to get hammered and fight for every yard when he needs it; why shouldn't he save his body and slide or go out of bounds when he can? Plus of course he's in the redzone, and if they managed to hold him up and strip the ball it could turn the game.

Thoughts?

I’m with you, savvy move. He’s going nowhere surrounded like that, so why risk getting hurt or fumbling. You know they’d like to hold him up and strip the ball, why give them the chance they want?  I liked it at the time, I like it now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thoughts?

I've seen a lot of wide receivers do this over the years

Especially the smart ones

• Like (+1) 1