Beane needs to get on the telephone

Cal

This team needs a DT that can play the 1 Technique and eat up blockers as well as a DT that can Penetrate (I thought this would be Oliver but I have been sadly mistaken). IF we don't get that we won't succeed on defense period. If our LB's are getting met 5 yards downfield by O-Lineman they have no chance of playing downhill and being aggressive. Our DE are getting pressure to the outside but all the QB has to do is step up in the pocket and make the throw because our DT have no inside penetration (we miss Jordan Phillips like crazy here) We need DT and at least 1 other CB

43 minutes ago, billsfan61184 said:

This team needs a DT that can play the 1 Technique and eat up blockers as well as a DT that can Penetrate (I thought this would be Oliver but I have been sadly mistaken). IF we don't get that we won't succeed on defense period. If our LB's are getting met 5 yards downfield by O-Lineman they have no chance of playing downhill and being aggressive. Our DE are getting pressure to the outside but all the QB has to do is step up in the pocket and make the throw because our DT have no inside penetration (we miss Jordan Phillips like crazy here) We need DT and at least 1 other CB

I really wanted Reader in FA- but at the time we had star so... 

Just now, Hebert19 said:

I know someone got crucified for starting a thread on this but given the situation in Houston I can see us making a play for watt.  

Not sure they'd trade him.  His 17.5 base salary next year is actually rather reasonable.  If they need cap space they can even extend him and re-work it.

Is there anyone on Atlanta's defense worth trying to poach? I think they're about to tear it down and be big sellers at the deadline.

Their defense collectively is usually pretty awful, but Grady Jarrett is a nice player, is still only 27 somehow, and has 2.5 sacks from the DT spot already (the question is could we afford him?). Deion Jones and Keanu Neal could be interesting at the right price (although I believe they've lost some of their potential/speed due to past injuries) and an LB I've never heard of before (Foyesade Oluokun) leads the Falcons in tackles and has 3 FF in 2020.

@atlbillsfan1975 any insider knowledge on these guys? Not sure how closely you follow the Falcons.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Cal said:

I know no one may be available for a trade but he must try. There are two major concerns. We need...

A legitimate TE or big WR. Kelce made Mahomes look good on a few inaccurate throws...Allen has no big athletic target like that.

A run stuffing DT. We got ran all over today. The lost of Jordan Phillips proves to be large. Ed Oliver can not stuff the run. Just use him on pass rushing downs.

These are all things we can take from the Ravens PS.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Ngakoue's salary is $8 mill. 5 out of 16 games are gone, so that's $5.5 mill the rest of the year, which would put us a bit over the cap. And he'd be a one-year rental because he's going to be paid a lot next year and the Bills are actually already over the cap for next year.

A 2nd for a one-year rental wouldn't make sense.

Couldn't agree more that we're missing Star.

You could cut Murphy to make up the difference cap wise. I then would assume you could get a comp pick back for Yannick which should ease the pick you gave up for him. If you think this team is one piece away and Yannick could be that piece then a 2nd isn't too bad a price in my opinion 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Cal said:

I know no one may be available for a trade but he must try. There are two major concerns. We need...

A legitimate TE or big WR. Kelce made Mahomes look good on a few inaccurate throws...Allen has no big athletic target like that.

A run stuffing DT. We got ran all over today. The lost of Jordan Phillips proves to be large. Ed Oliver can not stuff the run. Just use him on pass rushing downs.

Its defense all the way..our offense is good enough right now if dabol gets his head out of his ass trying to force an up the middle power run game with finesse type backs

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Is there anyone on Atlanta's defense worth trying to poach? I think they're about to tear it down and be big sellers at the deadline.

Their defense collectively is usually pretty awful, but Grady Jarrett is a nice player, is still only 27 somehow, and has 2.5 sacks from the DT spot already (the question is could we afford him?). Deion Jones and Keanu Neal could be interesting at the right price (although I believe they've lost some of their potential/speed due to past injuries) and an LB I've never heard of before (Foyesade Oluokun) leads the Falcons in tackles and has 3 FF in 2020.

@atlbillsfan1975 any insider knowledge on these guys? Not sure how closely you follow the Falcons.

Deion Jones would be awesome in this Bills D. I would rather the Bills pay him what his salary is than say Milano(I like Milano, but injuries are adding up). There might be a way the Falcons trade him because they just might do a tear down, like you said. I don’t think this happens till after the season and a new GM is in place. Blank is happy to let the season play out and then make a hire at GM with Rich McKay helping him.
Jarrett is who we want Oliver to become. I Don’t see Jarrett leaving the Falcons even in a tear down. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t know where he comes from, but we need a LB...now. Not just a guy either. A guy we can start over Edmunds 

I don’t think Edmunds is smart enough to be the QB of our defense nor do I believe he has the instincts neither.. I think Edmunds is having issues getting everybody lined up in the right spots.. I think he needs to go outside.. I think he could blitz off the edge well and his speed is a nightmare for tackles and I also think he’d be a great coverage guy, he’s simply playing out of position.. I think you sign Milano to a 1 year deal, he goes to WLB.. Edmunds goes to SLB and we draft or sign a real MLB in the offseason.. People say Edmunds is young... I get that... but it shouldn’t take 3 years for somebody to figure out how to play the linebacker position.. Josh Allen came out ultra raw and look at his strides and that’s at QB, the hardest position in football.. MLB should take 1-2 years tops! Heck, I’ve seen rookie linebackers come in and do a better job than he’s done.. He doesn’t like to hit, doesn’t like to get physical and he’s not very smart..

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

You could cut Murphy to make up the difference cap wise. I then would assume you could get a comp pick back for Yannick which should ease the pick you gave up for him. If you think this team is one piece away and Yannick could be that piece then a 2nd isn't too bad a price in my opinion 

Cutting veteran players after the start of the season does not take away their cost!

Anyone talking about cap space and money needs to know this.  Sorry but some of us who know the money side get tired of saying this.

per OTC

https://overthecap.com/nfl-teams-cut-veterans-day-opening-game/

The big difference between the two situations comes from a small rule in the CBA called termination pay. Termination pay is the technical term for the “contract becomes guaranteed at the start of the season” talk that always takes place in the summer. Termination pay only applies to veterans and protects their entire salary in the event they are cut during the season. Since teams don’t like paying people money to not play this is not an ideal situation for players that are on the bubble.