Postgame Thread: Bills at Titans

Let’s put this game away.  We were not ready to play from the first drive of the game.  Distractions, delays, injuries, poor preparation and execution in all phases, turnovers and penalties.  Wow. Ok. 

Get ready for KC.  Short week.  No excuses. Get ready. 

Just now, shoshin said:

With 5 drops and a ton of pre snap penalties ph and zero run game, Josh got no help tonight. 

The first drop led to an INT and a 7 point deficit. THAT set the tone for the game. John Brown catches that ball, and we have a totally different game. NOT promising a win, but HORRIBLE tone setter to start. 

Edmunds and Epenesa are both guys who NEED to play like the stars they were hyped to be.

I'm a forgiving fan, but that Offside by Epenesa is going to take some time.  At that point in the game, I was thinking we COULD get a stop.  3rd & 7, force a long FG, and you're still down by 2 scores with a great offense.

That Offside practically lost the game single-handedly.  He's a rookie, so what can you do.  But man - gotta learn from that.  No reason for it.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Kelly and Co got absolutely destroyed once a year by Pittsburg or KC and STILL went to the Super Bowl.
   This is still a work in progress but I agree the D needs some work and pass rush is a major concern.

People forget history. I've got the book "Relentless" by Sal Maiorana (awesome reference for EVERY Bills game played from 1960 through their last Super Bowl) and here are some of those regular season clunkers you allude to:

1990:

Game 2 Miami 30 Bills 7.  The Dolphins led 30 - 0 in the 4th quarter.

1991:

Game 6 Chiefs 33 Bills 6.

1992:

Game 5 Miami 37 Bills 10 at Rich Stadium.  Kelly threw 4 INT's including a 103 yard pick six.  Tally was quoted "Mama said there'd be days like this".

Game 6 Raiders 20 Bills 3.  Bills outscored 57 - 13 in back to back games. OUCH!

Game 16 Oilers 27 Bills 3.

1993:

Pitt 23 Bills 0.  Kelly 7/19 for 110 yrds.

Chiefs 23 Bills 7.

The key to the Super Bowl Bills was their resiliency and ability to bounce back from nightmarish games.  Now we get to see what these Bills are made of.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, appoo said:

Folks if you’re taking DTs and Edmunds, then you weren’t paying attention. Those guys actually played well. Titans couldn’t get much going up the middle. Losing contain destroys a defense. It clears space for lineman to get on your Backers (which happened all game), it opens up running lanes for an athletic QB...just bad. 

on top of that, corners couldn’t hang. I mean you notice the safeties rarely had to make a play. There’s a reason for that. Titans went right after the Bills backups with matchups 

This is a good take from what I saw.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, shoshin said:

With 5 drops and a ton of pre snap penalties ph and zero run game, Josh got no help tonight. 

That's right, he was not good but most of the team around him was worse. He missed a few throws and he tried to force more. He did not look like he was sure of what he was doing. And he threw one bad pick. However he did not go to pieces or anything. The defense was worse and the rest of the offense gave him little help (other than Beasley).

Just now, RiotAct said:

I agree.  A few bad decisions but overall he played a decent game.

Terrible throw on the second INT and another one at the end of the half but overall he was fine with a few passes off target. He was not spectacular but it didn’t matter. Steve Young at his best is losing that game. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not sure how to actually articulate my thought here....but when was the last time the Bills had a LB, that you just looked at and knew that guy was a monster? Not like a fast, smart guy. Or a slow 2 down dinosaur. But like Patrick Willis, Burfict looking guy out there, that you just wouldn’t mess with. Spikes was like that. And so was Cowart. We need a LB like that, out there just setting the tone. We are way to soft. I hate the way Fraizer runs a defense. We are nowhere near nasty enough.

I think you and the Bills will be fine with Edmunds.  He's still a kid.  Even though he hits up high he's still hurting people.  Trust me, if he played lower he'd be the hammer of the league, but he's tallish

• Like (+1) 1

I'm glad they lost. They deserved it, and it should wake them up.

The late Roberts fumble and the TD where Tannehill seemed to cross the scrimmage were symptomatic of how everything that could go wrong went wrong. Hopefully the players are embarrassed and react the right way.

The good news is the Bills won TOP, contained Henry and had impressive long drives despite horrible starting position. You can't constantly concede turnovers and penalties against the Titans and expect a 3 score comeback. The game script suited them perfectly. It's a bummer but the Titans are solid and will beat other good teams.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a good take from what I saw.

I don't know how the Bills aren't desperately trying to find a way to trade for a good DE. I'm basically done with Murphy and Hughes as anything but situational pass rushers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

The first drop led to an INT and a 7 point deficit. THAT set the tone for the game. John Brown catches that ball, and we have a totally different game. NOT promising a win, but HORRIBLE tone setter to start. 

In his postgame pressure Josh takes 100% responsibility for that first INT that he should throw a better ball.  But it's also a ball that a top WR in the NFL adjusts to and makes the catch.  Then Josh Norman covered AJ Brown by maintaining his social distance. 

It was a very deflating first series for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not sure how to actually articulate my thought here....but when was the last time the Bills had a LB, that you just looked at and knew that guy was a monster? Not like a fast, smart guy. Or a slow 2 down dinosaur. But like Patrick Willis, Burfict looking guy out there, that you just wouldn’t mess with. Spikes was like that. And so was Cowart. We need a LB like that, out there just setting the tone. We are way to soft. I hate the way Fraizer runs a defense. We are nowhere near nasty enough.

Takeo Spikes. London Fletcher. 🤷‍♂️. It’s been that long.