Postgame Thread: Bills at Titans

Just now, daz28 said:

They're barely doing that.  Nearly invisible at that, and Mr. J(Jeffason) and Addison seem to be the only heat

Addison is the one who I think has been a pleasant surprise on this D. 

AJ had a nice play tonight (I mean he was unblocked but hey he still made the play), but then jumped on 3rd and 7, which effectively ended the ball game. I don't understand how a kid from Iowa looks so awkward and and raw as a football player. I mean I'm a Penn State fan and he looked pretty good to me in College...but , I don't get him at all. But I think the Bills rather need him to get better/ready in a hurry

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Ha! But in all honesty, if he has to play on this particularly built team, they're not going to win very many games. You might as well as see what Jake Fromm State Farm can do

Totes agree.  I mean if this is time to talk about Beaner mistakes, he's one.  He's not going to do anything but look horrible if called upon.  Jake can do that too

Tonight we also saw the importance of field position when a defense is forcing you to take 15 plays to move 75 yards.  On the drive that Allen had his bad INT we started at the 2 yard line because the D couldn't hold TN at their own 10 to start the 3rd quarter.

As it was the Bills drove 70 yards overcoming holding & illegal procedure penalties.  But the Titans were counting on a mistake - another holding call, sack or an INT and they got it.  Had that drive started at the 35 we probably score before the INT.

Frankly we've been struggling with bad field position all season as the D yields to many drives to midfield. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I agree with this. When they got down 28-10, it should have been time to change plans and go for broke.

Can't do that against double high zones. Tennessee was happy to give up grinding drives. They figured Allen would make a mistake, and their offense would take care of the rest. Exactly what happened. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

They're barely doing that.  Nearly invisible at that, and Mr. J(Jeffason) and Addison seem to be the only heat

I see no D lineman beating their man and getting penetration.  If they are working to maintain gaps to stop the run, they need to find balance to make their pass rush at least respectable 

1 minute ago, appoo said:

Addison is the one who I think has been a pleasant surprise on this D. 

AJ had a nice play tonight (I mean he was unblocked but hey he still made the play), but then jumped on 3rd and 7, which effectively ended the ball game. I don't understand how a kid from Iowa looks so awkward and and raw as a football player. I mean I'm a Penn State fan and he looked pretty good to me in College...but , I don't get him at all. But I think the Bills rather need him to get better/ready in a hurry

I was a little upset he got pulled for that. 

also the exact same thing Landry did but williams got called for the false start 

5 minutes ago, mattynh said:

And oh yeah.   Josh Norman loses angry runs this week. 

For his age, and the amount of practice/game time he's had, he's been serviceable.  In the right role he may be just fine.  Not gonna poop on Norman yet

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I really don't see how they could not be prepared to play. They had more time between games than usual...

Not an excuse as they should have been way better than this but... they did prepare for two teams at once and are down 3 of their top defenders

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, appoo said:

Can't do that against double high zones. Tennessee was happy to give up grinding drives. They figured Allen would make a mistake, and their offense would take care of the rest. Exactly what happened. 

I'm not just referring to long passes. I mean open up the QB runs, the crazy rollouts and throws, hell even the ones where he knocks guys over. So he makes a mistake... conservative play is a loser when you are down 18. He made a mistake anyhow even with a dink and dunk plan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, familykwi said:

I see no D lineman beating their man and getting penetration.  If they are working to maintain gaps to stop the run, they need to find balance to make their pass rush at least respectable 

Unpopular take: The Phillips we kept isn’t good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I agree with this. When they got down 28-10, it should have been time to change plans and go for broke.

It felt at first like they were gonna settle down, but after they had success the tempo didn't increase.  That's on Daboll and McD.  Sure the D sucked and needed a breather, but without points they're cannon fodder anyways

1 minute ago, familykwi said:

Jefferson and Oliver (who quietly had a pretty good game) are doing that, but that's not as meaningful from the DT position, unless you're Aaron Donald, Jones or the dude from the Bengals whom I'm forgetting. 

You generally didn't see Tannehill just standing in the pocket. He plays off play action, but the pocket got nicely moved back. 

3 minutes ago, familykwi said:

QJ and MA are getting there sometimes, but they ain't they guys we pay to get here.  If the guys we pay to get there actually do, these guys are icing.  Seems skirting the pass rush issue costs us.  The whole D line as a whole has been a disappointment

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Can we have the obligatory complaining about the refs?

One TD from a phantom Norman PI (and that WAS phantom), and one from a ticky tack roughing the passer.

Didn't see it even out.

They had just highlighted AJ Brown there, so I only watched him on that play.  AJ slipped on his cut and the ball was uncatchable behind him.  I never thought of a call there.

Then came the flag.

Atrocious.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So I just watch the games with Antenna... I live downtown and for some reason CBS doesn't come in alot and is very spotty... once the game started came in the whole game no problem... and the postgame show... now as the postgame show is ending it's all spotty again. Do you guys think they turn up the broadcast power during Bill's games?

2 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I'm not just referring to long passes. I mean open up the QB runs, the crazy rollouts and throws, hell even the ones where he knocks guys over. So he makes a mistake... conservative play is a loser when you are down 18. He made a mistake anyhow even with a dink and dunk plan.

If he hadn't thrown that INT, it would had been fine. Then it's 21 - 17 in the 3rd quarter, and the Bills have made it a game.  Don't forget the Bills D actually responded with their best response of the night when the Titans got the INT - they actually held them to a fairly easy 3 and out, except the roughing call. That killed their will. 

Even down 28 - 10, it was a reasonable play, they had it down 12 with 10 left. That's a pretty reasonable position to be in.