Postgame Thread: Bills at Titans

I actually though the offense moved the ball pretty well. They just shot themselves in the foot with penalties, turnovers, drops, etc.I have confidence that they will rebound. The defense however, looks to be getting worse by the game so that’s much more of a concern.

• Like (+1) 1

What if this is a case of teams adjusting to the Bills offense? There weren't enough injuries on our offense to have made a difference last night. McDermott has proven he is unable to make adjustments on the fly and his defense has not been good enough to keep things competitive. My concern is that Tennessee just gave the rest of the league the blueprint for beating  the Bills.

2 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

What if this is a case of teams adjusting to the Bills offense? There weren't enough injuries on our offense to have made a difference last night. McDermott has proven he is unable to make adjustments on the fly and his defense has not been good enough to keep things competitive. My concern is that Tennessee just gave the rest of the league the blueprint for beating  the Bills.

We didn't have any problem moving the ball.  We just shot ourselves in the foot too many times.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Too many mistakes to win.

Can’t drop passes (one of which results in an early INT that leads to a TD)

Can’t miss blocks

Can’t turn the ball over on a critical comeback-staging drive

Can’t extend drives with penalties 

Can’t give the QB 9 seconds to throw

Gotta clean it up.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

McDermott plays a coverage defense that without the starting CB's and probably our best coverage LB is going to be suspect.  WR's catch TD's on DB's every Sunday but with that said Norman looked to be totally in position to knock the ball away on that first TD.  It looked almost McKelvin like the way the ball just went by him.  As for the D-line people keep talking about space eaters or drafting a DT but really we miss Kyle and Phillips who were both incredibly disruptive with penetration.  Oliver doesn't look bad but he's not in the backfield on every play or even a good number of plays.  Add to that Murphy and Hughes who are basically OLB's in most 3-4 defenses and we are getting run on and having contain issues and not just this week, every week.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We didn't have any problem moving the ball.  We just shot ourselves in the foot too many times.  

By the end of the game I was actually thinking, go ahead get it all out of your system and come back and play mistake free football next week.

• Like (+1) 3

• SDS unpinned this topic
10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

All I am saying is that aside from maybe two or three games, the Bills schedule does not get any easier with teams more talented and better coached than Tennessee. I worry about it being 2011 all over again. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Can’t miss blocks

Gotta clean it up.

Yupp. Not overly concerned as you can’t win them all, and it was a weird week having to game plan for two teams. Hope they come out better on Monday.

• Like (+1) 1

I think there was some "out of sight, out of mind" with some posters here on the Titans.  They manhandled the Ravens like that in the playoffs last year and the Ravens are a team that routinely manhandles opponents.  The Titans were in the AFC title game and it wasn't a fluke.  They somehow turned their own ignorance into a "us against the world" mentality and the Bills looked like they weren't sure they should even be on the field with them.  Not to mention with the Chiefs coming up, it was an easy to overlook game.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Yupp. Not overly concerned as you can’t win them all, and it was a weird week having to game plan for two teams. Hope they come out better on Monday.

Indeed. Teams lose games. No need to make any more of it until it becomes a chronic issue.

38 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Bills offensive execution was not the issue last night, though the run O could be more effective. They had 5 drops, one for an INT, and how many pre-snap penalties? 6-7? 4 on wide receivers?!?! 

Josh did an excellent job taking what they were giving, and that was a lot of 7 yard passes. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed, but defense is a "chronic issue". 

It’s an issue league-wide. Teams are allowing a ton of points and yards. Buffalo ranks 24th in points allowed and 18th in yards, but remember that there are a half-dozen teams that have played one fewer game.

Don't get me wrong: it’s not good, but it’s not crazy bad either.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Can’t miss blocks

Gotta clean it up.

Agree with all of this, it can be backed up with stats as well as the eye test. 

I asked myself last night after 5 games what we do well and what we don't and checked my eyes vs Stats and it's not complicated. Our QB is excellent and by far our best player, the receivers have had some drops but have been pretty good, the Oline pass blocks well, Run Blocking is not so good. On defense we've Blitzed at a Top 10 rate and yet are at the bottom in hurries, pressures, sacks etc. We can't cover in Man right now, and our zone is getting picked apart. I'm wondering if some of the problems aren't more complicated though after a 5 game sample.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

All I am saying is that aside from maybe two or three games, the Bills schedule does not get any easier with teams more talented and better coached than Tennessee. I worry about it being 2011 all over again. 

The Titans are one of the best coached teams in football and were in the AFC Championship game last year. It's not like the Bills lost to the Jets. 

Edited by shoshin

Guys it’s ONE game and the Titans are a lot better than people think.  I also wouldn’t over react if you lose to KC on Monday. Why? Well right now IMO they have the best WR core in the NFL and the second best QB right now in the NFL. (Wilson is carrying the Hawks they be 0-5 without him at QB)

The Bills will be in the hunt for the AFCE to the end with the Patriots. 

Edited by PatsFanNH