Now who got the best end of the Mahomes-White trade?

GreggTX

Who got the better deal?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who 'won' the trade?

• Bills
    • Chiefs

For elite QB play, there is Mahomes, a gap, and then everyone else. I think he has GOAT potential - he's that good. 

Plenty of teams passed on Mahomes, but only team traded the pick to KC.  That will always be a "What If?" for BIlls fans, and that's OK. 

Until we win a ring of our own, these threads will continue to repeat themselves. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

The Chiefs totally FLEECED the Bills in that trade...........and the gap is widening as Tremaine Edmunds struggles.

The Bills didn't get Josh Allen from the proceeds of that trade.

They got Tre White and Edmunds.

Tre is very good but the gap between the value of any CB and a record setting, league MVP QB that lead his long suffering franchise to a SB victory is an absolute chasm.

Allen was acquired with the Bills own 1st round pick plus multiple trade ups........none of which were related to the Chiefs trade either.

What made the trade even worse was that the Texans then immediately traded up with Cleveland............and the Browns got the #4 overall pick out of that deal while the Bills just got the #22.   Even at the time it was obvious that the Texans figured to be the much worse team.    It's inexcusable that they didn't just leverage the Chiefs offer and trade with Houston.  But perhaps that happens when you are perpetrating a charade where your GM is actually just a dude making phone calls for the HC,  who is actually making the decisions.    

But as I have said..........it's better to be lucky than good.

In the McDermott tenure the Bills have had the opportunity to draft QB's who won the last two league MVP trophies and 4 of the 5 most high value trade assets(all QB's) in the entire league.    In 3 offseasons they've had more chances at top shelf QB talent as the organization had in the prior 4-5 regimes combined.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Chefs in a landslide.  Bills didn't get enough picks for allowing KC to get their franchise QB.

Indeed.

And the Chiefs weren't some team that wasn't expected to be in playoff contention.........they were picking 27th and returning most of their team!    

Trading back to #27 and only getting the #22 pick next season was not even close to good value...............they basically traded back 16 spots.......needing a QB and with QB's on the board with first round grades.........for the value of  an early second round pick in that years draft.

The trade looked poorly thought out and executed with far less than due diligence at the time and it hasn't aged well.

In 5-6 years when Mahomes is in his prime and Tre White is winding down his career or a cap casualty and Tremaine Edmunds is out of the league(he can't take the beating in the middle) it will really look like an all-time train robbery by the Chiefs.

But hopefully Josh Allen can cover up for that brain-lock of a trade.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'll take good management over luck in weeding out the failures. The Bills didn't take Allen on a lark.  Go to the thread What did so many experts miss about Josh Allen & look at some of the stuff posted.  Things that indicated the Bills did due diligence with Allen are available there including that the Bills looked at film of everything Allen did in Wyoming, the 3 separate visits with Allen not even including the emotional phone call the day of the draft where the Bills talked about 30 minutes with Allen about his teenage Twitter posts.  Then the game that most impressed Beane was a game where Josh had horrible stats yet almost willed the team to victory in the rain & snow.

Contrast that with the Russell interview with Detroit where both the coach and GM kicked him out of their offices for his lackadaisical attitude and Matt Millen calling Al Davis to warn him not to draft Russell but Davis who at that point in his life was the epitome of bad management didn't listen to Millen. 

A lot of QB draft mistakes can be eliminated by good management & doing their homework on a player instead of just getting enamored by certain attributes.  Look back at the Bills 2 prior 1st round draft failures.  Tom Donahoe tried to move up for Roethlisberger & panicked and drafted JP Losman.  Do you think Donahoe had scouts look at every throw  JP made, interviewed Losman 3 times including visits to his school's town and Buffalo and talked at length with his coaches-I seriously doubt that since his target was Roethlisberger but he either didn't have the draft capital to move past Pittsburgh or was unwilling to pay the price necessary to move up.  When the Bills drafted EJ Manuel Nix had boxed himself into a corner and chose a QB in the worst QB class in years.  Once again I doubt the Bills did anywhere near the due diligence that current Bills management did with Allen.  

When a QB fails a lot of people blame the coaches.  I blame the GM & scouts more because they just didn't do enough due diligence including multiple interviews, live scouting by the GM, and tons of film study.   The Bills did just about everything a team could do before drafting Allen.  I'd bet most QBs drafted in the 1st round get less than half the pre-draft attention the Bills did with Allen. 

The only luck the Bills had was the draft falling into their laps. If the Giants had drafted Allen instead of Barkley all the Bills planning & studying would have gone down the drain & we would have been as screwed as Donahoe was when Pittsburgh took Roethlisberger.  

Luck is the residue of design.

No , no sir it’s pure luck  !! 
It was a coin flip between  Rosen & Allen man did we get lucky !!!

Edited by Putin

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In 5-6 years when Mahomes is in his prime and Tre White is winding down his career or a cap casualty and Tremaine Edmunds is out of the league(he can't take the beating in the middle) it will really look like an all-time train robbery by the Chiefs.

lol

so much hate.  

STEP INTO THE LIGHT 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Indeed.

And the Chiefs weren't some team that wasn't expected to be in playoff contention.........they were picking 27th and returning most of their team!    

Trading back to #27 and only getting the #22 pick next season was not even close to good value...............they basically traded back 16 spots.......needing a QB and with QB's on the board with first round grades.........for the value of  an early second round pick in that years draft.

The trade looked poorly thought out and executed with far less than due diligence at the time and it hasn't aged well.

But hopefully Josh Allen can cover up for that brain-lock of a trade.

I’d like to say you were missed..

but its Sunday, and..

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Putin said:

I’m sorry I don’t think LUCK has anything to do with this , I believe our front office / scouting department did their homework , if anybody got lucky ( for now )  it’s Baltimore  , assuming Lamar will improve in  the passing game 

My friend, my friend! We passed on a top 3 QB only to land another top 3 QB a year later.. that does not happen every day! Had the Browns not taken Mayfield and Ward or the Broncos not taken Chubb or the Jets not taken Darnold or the Giants not taken Saquan Barkley, Josh Allen would not be the Bills starting QB! We didn’t get lucky..... We got ultra lucky!

If things remain as they have been through 4 games this season then it's a wash.  Both teams got the right players for themselves.

So far this season Josh has outplayed Mahomes.  But it is just 4 games.

There is no guarantee that Mahomes turns out as he has if we drafted him.  People like to see things black and white but it isn't that simple.  Just because a QB turned out one way with team A doesn't mean he would have turned out the same with team B.