Now who got the best end of the Mahomes-White trade?

GreggTX

Who got the better deal?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who 'won' the trade?

• Bills
    • Chiefs

For the last 2 years, I've thought the Chiefs got the better of us when they moved up to #10 and drafted Mahomes while we got very valuable draft picks and a top CB. Now that Allen has come of age, the question deserves to be revisited? Mahomes has won a SB, a SB MVP and a league MVP. Pretty impressive. The Bills have never won a SB, but each week Josh Allen looks more and more like a QB that could give us the grand prize since 1964-1965. Will Josh Allen be sporting a SB ring some day? Will he win more rings than Mahomes? Clearly both teams benfitted from that blockbuster trade, but who got the better deal?

Edited by GreggTX
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

I know that this is a message board and people can discuss whatever they wish, but I just don't get this. First of all this was discussed over and over again including this season and also its Chiefs and its not even close right now. They got freaking SB, MVP and SB MVP and we have two great players and potential to win SB with them.

I love Josh, wouldn't trade him for Mahomes right now, wouldn't go back in time to draft him, but it doesn't change the fact that its Chiefs and its not close.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I know that this is a message board and people can discuss whatever they wish, but I just don't get this. First of all this was discussed over and over again including this season and also its Chiefs and its not even close right now. They got freaking SB, MVP and SB MVP and we have two great players and potential to win SB with them.

I love Josh, wouldn't trade him for Mahomes right now, wouldn't go back in time to draft him, but it doesn't change the fact that its Chiefs and its not close.

You wouldn’t trade Josh for the MVP, Super Bowl MVP, and Super Bowl champ? But the Chiefs won the trade and it isn’t even close? Hmmm

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Right now, because Mahomes is considered by many to be the best QB in the NFL and because the chiefs won a super bowl, I have to vote the Chiefs.  

This does not mean that it turned out bad for the Bills or set back the franchise.     Buffalo needed a complete overhaul of a roster to change the culture at the time.  The extra picks helped do this.   The picks from the trade led to Tradaveous White, Dion Dawkins, Tremaine Edmunds and Zay Jones(cant win them all).   White and Dawkins  are long term players in Key positions.   Edmunds could also be a long term asset if he polishes parts of his game.   In addition the Bills got Allen the next year who appears to be our franchise quarterback for years to come.    This is a nice contrast to the past when trading players like Marshawn Lynch and Willis McGahee led to picks that turned into nothing.   Good drafting makes all of the difference.

I do not think that Mahomes would have found the same success in Buffalo with the limited receiving talent that we had in 2017 and 2018 and I think that the Chiefs would have remained a marginal wild card team if they had stayed with Alex Smith and/or drafted some of the other available quarterbacks in 2017 or 2018(except maybe for Lamar Jackson).    This is one of the rare trades where both teams got much better for doing it.  

I do not know if there will be a final answer to this until a few years from now when the careers of these players is over.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t the think Mahomes would have had the same success here that he enjoyed in KC. 

I DO know that JA is having success here so that plus Tre?  Maybe not the case last year, but this year I think it’s getting close and closer to a draw. 

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Umm.. I think we got ultra lucky.. I wanted Mahomes when he came out.. People questioned his mechanics, the system he played in and the level of competition he went up against just like Josh Allen.. in hindsight, I feel we got really lucky.

I’m sorry I don’t think LUCK has anything to do with this , I believe our front office / scouting department did their homework , if anybody got lucky ( for now )  it’s Baltimore  , assuming Lamar will improve in  the passing game 

Edited by Putin

Point goes to the Chiefs because they've got the SB and their franchise QB locked up what for might be the next 10 years for just a swap of a first pick and a first the year after.  Allen is making progress to the level of play the Chiefs are getting out of Mahomes but there's a ways to go and the team hasn't won anything yet. 

With all the wheeling and dealing Beane did in that draft to get Allen at 7 you might want to through the Edmunds pick in too.  So Mahomes for White, Allen, and Edmunds is the way I see it.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

29 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

You wouldn’t trade Josh for the MVP, Super Bowl MVP, and Super Bowl champ? But the Chiefs won the trade and it isn’t even close? Hmmm

Because I love Josh and love our team as it is. But if question is who made bigger profit from the trade its Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Because it's extremely close right now. That's why.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

For the last 2 years, I've thought the Chiefs got the better of us when they moved up to #10 and drafted Mahomes while we got very valuable draft picks and a top CB. Now that Allen has come of age, the question deserves to be revisited? Mahomes has won a SB, a SB MVP and a league MVP. Pretty impressive. The Bills have never won a SB, but each week Josh Allen looks more and more like a QB that could give us the grand prize since 1964-1965. Will Josh Allen be sporting a SB ring some day? Will he win more rings than Mahomes? Clearly both teams benfitted from that blockbuster trade, but who got the better deal?

Good question. Which is why I started a thread about it a week ago. But whatever.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Because it's extremely close right now. That's why.

Good question. Which is why I started a thread about it a week ago. But whatever.

It’s not close. One team has an MVP QB who has won a Super Bowl already. One team does not.

• Like (+1) 2

I think both teams made out.  Mahomes is one of the best in the league.  Allen is right now playing like one of the best in the league.  I am happy with who we have.  I'm sure KC fans are happy with who they have. 

There is no way to know how Mahomes would have done here playing with the crap Allen played with the first couple.  We also don't know what other moves would have been made or not made.  Mahomes would still be good but different offenses/playcalling/players... doesn't mean he would have won a superbowl or mvp or any of that to this point here.