Josh Allen - week ONE report card

rayray808

A-  

Josh has a primal instinct to make plays; he seems to throw fundamentals out of the window when he sees the smallest window to make something out of a dead play. 

He’s curtailed most of the reckless heaves downfield, but ball security basics seem to go out the window when he’s improvising. 

There’s still a lot of room for improvement when it comes to setting his feet and throwing on the run (especially with no one around him like on the pass that sailed out of the end zone intended for Brown). 

He’ll get better, as he continually has. The positives vastly outweighs the concerns, and it’s mind-blowing to think what he should be able to do in a few years once the game really slows down for him. 

My bigger concern is his frequent lack of blind side awareness, especially on the plays where he holds the ball a shade too long. At some point he’s going to get hurt badly. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Process said:

2 fumbles, 2 dropped INTs, at least 2 horrible misses to wide open receivers for TDs, and even a lot of his good plays were actually bad throws. TD to Brown... doesn't get easier than that but he puts it in the ground and gets lucky. Long pass to Beasley... he was wide open and if it's a good throw it's a TD. Many of his completions were low and his WRs bailed him out. 

First game of the year. We win. And he puts up 300 for the first time. So still plenty to be excited about.. But if we weren't playing one of the three worst teams in the league we probably lose. He needs to be better going forward. 

He had a good game  Yeah he missed Knox on a off balance throws, underthrew Singeltary on the wheel and the big miss to Brown on a ball that sailed. Everybody misses throws  Watching Brees/Brady now and their throwing crap into the dirt  I did not like the late throw into the endzone that was almost picked  He's got that young Bret favre thing going full tilt

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Im ok with the B+ but for me it was an A.  You take away 4 mistakes and its an A+.  He played a hell of a game today.

And if all the mistakes were just like the miss to Brown I'd have him in the A bucket. But two of the mistakes turned the ball over and took points off the board. That drops it to a B+ for me when looking at the overall game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

And if all the mistakes were just like the miss to Brown I'd have him in the A bucket. But two of the mistakes turned the ball over and took points off the board. That drops it to a B+ for me when looking at the overall game.

I'm ok with that grading.  Fumbles are a concern for sure.

I'm very pro Allen, let's just say that now. Historically his stat line doesn't capture his positive impact (my opinion), but today I thought it might have over captured it. I agree with the B+ and might even call it a B (that is above average right?).  He made a couple throws that could have been intercepted, throws that should not be made, missed a couple TD passes, a few fumbles, and as a whole, I think we lose against the better teams today. Not as a direct result of him, but the next step is hoping to say we can win those games as a result of him. That is what gets you into the A grade range. Happy with the start. Loved the Diggs connection, that will be fun all year especially seeing smoke highly involved as well.

Can we go vertical?

Please?  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

Missed two wide-open TDs, underthrew Beasley on what should’ve been a long score, and fumbled twice.  Should’ve been picked in the endzone on the second to last drive with yet another inexcusable cross-body heave into coverage.  Even Josh would admit he needs to be way better.  He’s one of the best athletes on the field and was super efficient in the first half but he needs to stop glitching or his career is never going to take the final step from exciting to elite.  Tired of seeing it and tired of talking about it.  Love the guy though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I give Allen a B+ overall.  He gets an A for his passing game.  I give him a B for his running game because while he carried the offense with his running, especially in the first half, his two fumbles cost the Bills potential scores and gave the Jests life going into the second half.  

I think that Allen's QB play in general, including his decision making and most of his mechanics, is greatly improved even from last season.  He seems to have made the jump from competent NFL starter to good NFL starting QB.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SoTier said:

I give Allen a B+ overall.  He gets an A for his passing game.  I give him a B for his running game because while he carried the offense with his running, especially in the first half, his two fumbles cost the Bills potential scores and gave the Jests life going into the second half.  

I think that Allen's QB play in general, including his decision making and most of his mechanics, is greatly improved even from last season.  He seems to have made the jump from competent NFL starter to good NFL starting QB.

Agree totally with this. The audible on the Brown TD was real clear evidence of his growth.

• Like (+1) 1