Josh Allen - week ONE report card

rayray808

10 hours ago, Nelius said:

B+ is a solid score, I agree. I think it's alright to dock him for the two fumbles, an A+ requires total perfection.

But man I am so excited, Allen is an absolute beast. He may be a true MVP contender. We're quibbling over B's or A's while our 1st round franchise QB goes off for 300 yards and multiple scores and yet another W. We've come so far. I may be a little off with his first year stats but I think he's 17-12 as a starter now, and I know for sure he's 11-6 in the regular season since last year. He's one of the best in the AFC already, let's go.

this!  and we are just getting started!

7 hours ago, shoshin said:

Agree that Allen looked great. The Jets are one of the dumpster fire teams this season. No one credible thought they’d be good. 

Yeah you're probably correct in regard to "nobody credible", but it took two seconds to find that walterfootball.com as recently as last week declared that they thought that the Jets "had a chance to reach the playoffs" pre Jamal Adams departure. but again you're probably right.

29 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Interesting note here.

Going back to the Tennessee game last year Josh Allen is 249 out of 422 for a 59% completions, with 19 TDs and 3 interceptions.  

He is 8-5 (I ignored the loss against the Jets last year, but still used the 3 for 5, for 5 yards stats), and has the old fashioned style QB rating (not the QBR) of 90.57.

Yes, his rushing fumbles hurt him, but man that TD to Interception ratio is impressive.  

His career breakdown prior to that game was 13 TDs and 16 Interceptions.

Now some will complain that he *almost* threw two INTs...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Now some will complain that he *almost* threw two INTs...

INTs for whatever reason don't bother me as much as fumbles. I guess it all depends on the throw but most INTs are a combination of things, normally miscommunication. Some are bad throws. But obviously you can't play scared so you have to trust what you see.

I do agree that expectations should be higher for this team and Josh Allen. 

If this is a team expected to go 6-10 and Allen is in year 1-2 then I give him an A. 

But that is not this team. This is Allen in year 3. I would give it a B and give him the benefit of the doubt in that the team had a big lead so he lost some focus. But again, his stats look good and the score was in our favor. But when the team watches the film there is gonna be a ton of critique. Too many broken plays. Yes, they turned positive but you dont want your success coming from broken plays turned positive. 

I just dont think we should watch this game and think we can win every week like that on offense. That is what an A grade would imply. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No it doesn't happen.

Haven’t noticed you til this thread.  If your thought process looked like a movie character, you’d be Chet (Bill Paxton) from weird science after his transformation.  Your takes are awful, truly 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yeah you're probably correct in regard to "nobody credible", but it took two seconds to find that walterfootball.com as recently as last week declared that they thought that the Jets "had a chance to reach the playoffs" pre Jamal Adams departure. but again you're probably right.

A championship team?  No.

A dumpster fire team?  Well, "NFL Nation" on ESPN (whoevers opinion that is) predicts a 7-9 record for them which is more "mediocre" than "dumpster fire"

The CBS sports model predicts 6.5 wins (which rounds to the same record) [They predict the Bills have 9 wins, so we hope they're pessimistic]

USA Today Nate Davis is more pessimistic for them at 5-11, but then he has the Tom-Brady led Bucs making a Superbowl push at 10-6 🤷‍♂️

WalterFootball just before the season seems to be the only one I could find that predicted a dumpster-fire-like 3-13.  Of course I like him the best because he predicts 11-5 and a series sweep of NE for the Bills - GENIUS!

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Haven’t noticed you til this thread.  If your thought process looked like a movie character, you’d be Chet (Bill Paxton) from weird science after his transformation.  Your takes are awful, truly 

WEIRD SCIENCE!

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A championship team?  No.

A dumpster fire team?  Well, "NFL Nation" on ESPN (whoevers opinion that is) predicts a 7-9 record for them which is more "mediocre" than "dumpster fire"

The CBS sports model predicts 6.5 wins (which rounds to the same record) [They predict the Bills have 9 wins, so we hope they're pessimistic]

USA Today Nate Davis is more pessimistic for them at 5-11, but then he has the Tom-Brady led Bucs making a Superbowl push at 10-6 🤷‍♂️

WalterFootball just before the season seems to be the only one I could find that predicted a dumpster-fire-like 3-13.  Of course I like him the best because he predicts 11-5 and a series sweep of NE for the Bills - GENIUS!

WEIRD SCIENCE!

Oh the 80’s.  They were glorious 

20 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Year 3 of the weekly report card. In year prior I graded him on a rookie/sophomore rubric but now this is the year and time for him to shine:

WEEK ONE GRADE: B+

Bills 27 - Jets 17

33/46 - 72% completion - 312 yards - 2 TD's - 0 INT's - 14 rushes - 57 yards - 1 TD rushing - 2 fumbles lost

Today we saw some incredible high's, and yet a few head scratching lows that leave me unable to give him an "A" for the week. I love how he had a nice command over the offense through the air to start the game. Confidence, precision, and accurate with his throws. Just when we think though that the franchise has arrived... fumble. And not just a fumble, but the types of fumbles that drove us crazy last year. However Josh did what he does best and bounced back to gain composure of our offense again and did a wonderful job of utilizing Diggs and Brown. However, once we are on the doorstep of putting the nail in the coffin on the Jets - fumble. He did what was needed though to put this game away and I cannot say enough with how good he looked when he was in the pocket firing lasers across the field. Also, that audible he called to Brown for the TD was just awesome to see progression wise.

All in all, Josh left me feeling great as a Bills fan. A win. 300 yard game monkey off his back. Passing TD and rushing TD's. However, if he wants to make that jump to an elite QB and/or lock to be a franchise type QB, he needs to eliminate the fumbling issues and missing WIDE OPEN guys like Brown in the endzone... perhaps he needs to realize that being in the pocket can help the team more than the occasional breakout run.

POSITIVE STAT OF THE DAY: 312 yards career high passing and finally breaks the 300 yard passing streak that has plagued this team

NEGATIVE STAT OF THE DAY: 14 rushing attempts with 2 fumbles (his career high was 10 last year - maybe it's time to rip some of those pages out of the playbook)

Very good & concise breakdown of what I viewed out there as well.

I hate the fumbles, especially the really silly & completely avoidable ones, but the missing wide open guys burns me up even more. This offense has the potential to really put the pressure on opponents, and for once, the Bills seemingly have a QB capable of taking advantage of the league's cushy QB rules geared towards passing offenses. 

After a decade+ of the shift towards being a passing-focused league, the Bills finally have the ability to rise to the occasion. Finding the open man, hitting downfield passes, and getting rid of the ball quickly will make this team a threat no matter who they're up against. Only now, we actually have the personnel to make this into a regular thing.

Our O-line provided a ton of time for Josh to sit back in the pocket as well. Going back & watching highlights made it even more apparent how high the ceiling really is for this offense if Josh continues to develop the way we need him to.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks to everyone for the positive discussion.

My intention for the weekly grades it's to 1) offer the most non biased summative review on our QB performance and 2) offer a place where we can all share our opinions on what we saw.

Excited for week 2! GO BILLS!