Josh Allen - week ONE report card

rayray808

21 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

“Way too many” being 3?

So the number of acceptable bad plays is zero?

There are bad plays and there are BAD plays. Fumbling in the redzone is a BAD play, as is the missed TD pass to Brown. You can't give a guy who had two turnovers the highest grade, even though he was mostly great outside of that. I have high hopes for, and lots of confidence in, Josh and I know he will do better in future games. B+ seems accurate.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Darnold was an E today. He was absolutely shocking.

I couldn't believe it when he ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. If my QB is going to make boneheaded mistakes I at least want it to be while trying to make something happen. I feel bad for Darnold with that offensive "talent" and "coaching" but he was also just flat out bad today.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I get it but 2 stupid turnovers and almost another one on a dumb pass in the red zone, plus missing the easiest TD pass a QB can have. It's tough to grade because he was A+ otherwise but the mistakes have to be cleaned up too. It's not the end of the world. He has a real offense around him now so I'm going to grade him tougher.

That’s what you are going to get w Allen. Easy misses and amazing hits. This is an A game from him.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Wideouts and actual ball carriers don’t hold onto that ball is my point

the first one was his same problem the second is whatever

and either way the called runs and that terrible read option have got to be fixed

They were, at least I think, gameplan specific against this defense. But the lack of burst from both of our running backs today was a genuine concern. We will play other good run Ds this year and the gaps close quickly so you have to have that burst to hit them.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

They were, at least I think, gameplan specific against this defense. But the lack of burst from both of our running backs today was a genuine concern. We will play other good run Ds this year and the gaps close quickly so you have to have that burst to hit them.

I’m whatever on Moss, didn’t expect a ton from him. Singletary needs way more than 9 carries and Allen needs way less.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That gets fumbles all the time when you get hit like that

Can't rationalize this.  Josh knows he has a fumbling problem, but continues to not secure the ball well enough.

His ball security was suspect a couple of more times in the second half, but he didn't fumble, so no harm-no foul.   But he has to do a better job or it will cost his team at some point...

2 fumbles, 2 dropped INTs, at least 2 horrible misses to wide open receivers for TDs, and even a lot of his good plays were actually bad throws. TD to Brown... doesn't get easier than that but he puts it in the ground and gets lucky. Long pass to Beasley... he was wide open and if it's a good throw it's a TD. Many of his completions were low and his WRs bailed him out. 

First game of the year. We win. And he puts up 300 for the first time. So still plenty to be excited about.. But if we weren't playing one of the three worst teams in the league we probably lose. He needs to be better going forward. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

- Overall I think he played really well.  Had some great intermediate throws into tight windows.  Thought he was pretty accurate today.  Yeah he misses a wide open TD, but he was rolling out to the left and rushed it - he should have set his body first.  As a passer, I thought he looked like a legit NFL QB who has progressed well.  Im happy with his performance.

-The fumbles are an obvious concern.  He tries to do too much at times.  He was reckless at the beginning of last season too, but that calmed down as the season progressed.  I think he will always have a "hero ball" mentality which will have its pros and cons.  Hopefully he will learn from it

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wasn't a fan of all read option calls today. Allen was keeping it a lot based on what he read. 

And that in part is the way the Jets front plays the conventional run game. They are good. It is the best thing the Jets do. And there were not many gaps for our backs that is why Josh was pulling it so much. But when the backs did get it they were not fast enough to hit the holes before they closed.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

4 plays that took points off the board. About as bad as you can get. Can't have those plays. 

He got lucky on a handful of bad throws in the end zone and the big play to Beasley was under thrown.   The score should have been in the 40s. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Just for future reference what qualifies as an A?

Well, he had a great day, but did have two fumbles in the Red Zone, and twice missed wide-open receivers in the end zone--Knox in the first half, and Brown in the 4th quarter. Eliminate just half of those mistakes and it's an A+

4 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Well, he had a great day, but did have two fumbles in the Red Zone, and twice missed wide-open receivers in the end zone--Knox in the first half, and Brown in the 4th quarter. Eliminate just half of those mistakes and it's an A+

And Singletary - he puts that ball in front of him and it's an easy TD.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I am a huuuuuuuuuuuggggggggeeeee Josh fan from day 1, but I agree with B+ as we saw both the best and the worst from him. While Knox in the 1st half was a tougher throw, he was alone in the endzone. And of course the Brown one, ouch. And yeah, the two fumbles. But all the nice runs, throws, control, just a playmaker. 

And no doubt,  I was laughing at the haters on this board when Knox made the catch to make it over 300 yards. I DONT CARE but so many here did, at least that's one topic we are rid of this year ha ha.

I only cared so I can stop reading about how he hasnt had one.

• Like (+1) 1