Final Vote—All States, Progress in counting

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The DNC completely missed the mark again.

Ramming Biden down everyone's throat because they thought he'd do well with independents proved to once again be a mistake, just not as bad as the one they made 4 years ago. 

They can't get out of their own way. 

DNC got outsmarted by Trumps team once again. 

Had Trump handled the pandemic better its a non-contest 

15 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I don't see it that way. Is waiting in my Dr's office for 4 hrs suppression of health services? c'mon man...

Are you more likely to wait in line for 8 hours to vote or less likely?  That's really all it comes down to.

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

Are you more likely to wait in line for 8 hours to vote or less likely?  That's really all it comes down to.

I think the question should rather be: At what length of time would you decide voting wasn't worth it. I would expect a lie in response, since they haven't had to make that decision....EVER. 

That's different than those who face disenfranchisement annually. I would expect that those people's length of time would decrease with frequency (which is the real reason for making it tougher to vote).

7 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

It's not even about whether a person wants to wait or not. The lower working class typically works hourly shift jobs which make it impossible to take 6-8 hours to stand in line, even if the voter wanted to. It's suppression of the working class.

Plenty of other developed western countries get all their votes in on one day, with zero lines. It is possible. The fact it doesnt happen here is by design.

Make Election Day a national holiday and a lot of that issue goes away.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I don't see it that way. Is waiting in my Dr's office for 4 hrs suppression of health services? c'mon man...

Do you have a right to see that doctor?  Probably not.  But I have a right to vote.  Justice delayed is justice denied.  Same goes here.  

• Like (+1) 1

Very refreshing to see a civil discourse in here today regardless oh which candidate you voted for. Some salient points on both sides.

I love the idea of making the presidential election a national holiday so people have the option of voting at any time vs only when they aren't on the clock.

I do think there needs to be a consensus on wether or not votes by mail need be received by the day of the election. If you vote late and your vote isn't counted that's on YOU my friend. If you were so late in filling it out you take your ballot to the polls and drop it off or stand in line and vote traditionally

Perhaps making votes by mail countable before the election to hasten the process should also be a national mandate?  

The reasons why Trump conceivably lost this election will be ongoing but I think "voter fraud" is a poor response to the loss of a hardly fought election much like the reported actions of the POTUS last night when he declared victory and accused the election of being stolen....again IMO not a great look. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Muppy said:

Very refreshing to see a civil discourse in here today regardless oh which candidate you voted for. Some salient points on both sides.

I love the idea of making the presidential election a national holiday so people have the option of voting at any time vs only when they aren't on the clock.

I do think there needs to be a consensus on wether or not votes by mail need be received by the day of the election. If you vote late and your vote isn't counted that's on YOU my friend. If you were so late in filling it out you take your ballot to the polls and drop it off or stand in line and vote traditionally

Perhaps making votes by mail countable before the election to hasten the process should also be a national mandate?  

The reasons why Trump conceivably lost this election will be ongoing but I think "voter fraud" is a poor response to the loss of a hardly fought election much like the reported actions of the POTUS last night when he declared victory and accused the election of being stolen....again IMO not a great look. 

The only mail in voting that should be going on is if your are disabled, or if you are in the military.  You want to vote, get to your polling station.  I have no problem keeping polling stations opened for a month, but you should have to be in person, with id to cast a vote.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

arizona screwed up their reporting.  many more votes to count.  some people saying lots of trump counties to be reported and could tighten up

no they didn’t lol

its over bud. Arizona took notice of Trumps disrespect of McCain. He’s finished there 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

The only mail in voting that should be going on is if your are disabled, or if you are in the military.  You want to vote, get to your polling station.  I have no problem keeping polling stations opened for a month, but you should have to be in person, with id to cast a vote.

I wouldnt have a problem with that at all in fact it seems very reasonable to me. Except if you are a snowbird and don't physically live in your registered state during the election then what......or if your health precludes you from going to a polling place...lots of good reasons to allow mail in voting exist. There has to be a compromise of some sort possible to satisfy the majority of voters. And if nothing else this election will bring forth changes I think that's a near lock. 

With the amount of problems that can happen in the postal service, I respectfully disagree that votes must have been received by the deadline. I believe that requiring your mail in ballot be received by the election there are too many possibilities that can cause it to be late that are NOT on that voter. I believe it would be disenfranchisement to those who legally voted.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with use a postmark as your decision maker. In fact many federal and state legal processes use this as their determing factor for timeliness. It shouldn't change at the whim of a party.

Also, those who vote by mail who would be forced to send their vote in earlier than the election day may miss important information that comes near the end of a campaign.

Perhaps making votes by mail countable before the election to hasten the process should also be a national mandate

I would like to ask for clarification here: are you asking for reporting or just counting?

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Thank you for sharing this tweet. That's why Trump's campaign is mad at the call by AP and Fox News.

Even as such, it may not be enough, but who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏽🤷🏿‍♂️ it's 2020.

4 minutes ago, nkreed said:

With the amount of problems that can happen in the postal service, I respectfully disagree that votes must have been received by the deadline. I believe that requiring your mail in ballot be received by the election there are too many possibilities that can cause it to be late that are NOT on that voter. I believe it would be disenfranchisement to those who legally voted.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with use a postmark as your decision maker. In fact many federal and state legal processes use this as their determing factor for timeliness. It shouldn't change at the whim of a party.

Also, those who vote by mail who would be forced to send their vote in earlier than the election day may miss important information that comes near the end of a campaign.

I would like to ask for clarification here: are you asking for reporting or just counting?

Point taken on the USPS I use their service neary daily as an ebay seller and trust me I know they are not faultless. But in my home state of Cali my vote was trackable to ensure it was counted. If mine wasn't counted Id want to know why and what I don't like is the delay in announcing a winner of the election waiting on votes that could be days late in arriving.

In regards to the 2nd part I say counting and not reporting and have those votes tallied and ready to download into the final talleys asap once the polls close.

Edited by Muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nkreed said:

Thank you for sharing this tweet. That's why Trump's campaign is mad at the call by AP and Fox News.

if i'm counting correctly roughly 500k votes remain and all the mail ins have been counted. trump down by 100k so the possibility exists. 

8 minutes ago, Muppy said:

I wouldnt have a problem with that at all in fact it seems very reasonable to me. Except if you are a snowbird and don't physically live in your registered state during the election then what......or if your health precludes you from going to a polling place...lots of good reasons to allow mail in voting exist. There has to be a compromise of some sort possible to satisfy the majority of voters. And if nothing else this election will bring forth changes I think that's a near lock. 

Well if you health prevents you from getting to a polling station, you would be considered disabled in terms of this process.

If you are in another state during the voting month, make a time to come back to vote, or change your polling location before the election.

23 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

That doesn’t work for someone like me. During the last quarter of the year, I’m usually traveling for work. For example, if it was not for COVID, I was scheduled to speak in New Hampshire on the 3rd. I have no control over where I’ll be when. I’ve voted via mail the past 4 elections.

28 minutes ago, Muppy said:

New York State has allowed absentees to arrive via mail up to about a week after the election (provided the ballots are postmarked by the day of the election).  It’s never been an issue until this whole “voter fraud” con got started a few months ago.  In point of fact allowing that time for the ballots to arrive ensures that few, if any, voters are disenfranchised by a delay in “the mail.”  It’s also particularly helpful with respect to overseas military ballots, which frequently arrive late.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, nkreed said:

FWIW, Fox and AP have had it at 86% reporting this whole time and obviously they're the ones that (pretty aggressively) called the race already.

In view of the amount of disunity and division in our country I would hope that SOME compromises would be possible to somehow make the election process more tenable and address concerns on each side.

dang I sound like a middling politician lol  I just call it as I see it right or wrong

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Seems contradictory...

Seems to be a false narrative to drive distrust before it goes to courts. The AP doesn't call any election until there's no possible path. Based on the data, the remaining votes look like they're coming in from Phoenix and Tucson, the big urban areas.

17 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Well if you health prevents you from getting to a polling station, you would be considered disabled in terms of this process.

If you are in another state during the voting month, make a time to come back to vote, or change your polling location before the election.

Yes I can see your point and of those measures are made law I woudn't have a problem with it. The disability issue though could be much more difficult to  quantify/define  and might get way too convoluted to ever make a consensus possible

8 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Why can't they count mailed in ballots before election day?  Seems odd.

Ask the state legislatures.  There is a practical reason for it; there’s only so many elections workers to go around, and some states may have made the judgment that it’s best to have those workers dedicated to tasks related to “in person” voting until the voting period closes.  

11 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

if i'm counting correctly roughly 500k votes remain and all the mail ins have been counted. trump down by 100k so the possibility exists. 

So the rough numbers are close.  

If we are using the numbers as exact, and we shouldn't, but lets runs the scenarios.

Facts I'm using from NYTimes political page: 86% in, Biden has 1,410,977 votes, Trump has 1,317,468 votes.  That's a total of 2,728,445 votes and a difference of  93,509 Votes.

Using the 86% number, the total AZ voted would be 3,172,611 (rounded up).  Remaining votes uncounted 444,166 votes.

So what are the possibilities? (you can do some linear algebra to get the numbers in between)

Trump 80%, Biden 20% of the remaining votes: Trump Gains 266,500

Trump 75%, Biden 25%: Trump Gains 222,083

Trump 70%, Biden 30%: Trump Gains 177,666

Trump 65%, Biden 35%: Trump Gains 133,250

Trump 60%, Biden 40%: Trump Gains 88, 833

Trump 55%, Biden 45%: Trump Gains 44,417

50/50 Not Gains

So the break even for Trump needs to be 60.5% of the remaining votes, which I believe is VERY doable.  Then the Libretarian throws a 1% monkey wrench in these numbers and I'm too lazy to break that down.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nkreed said:

So the rough numbers are close.  

If we are using the numbers as exact, and we shouldn't, but lets runs the scenarios.

Facts I'm using from NYTimes political page: 86% in, Biden has 1,410,977 votes, Trump has 1,317,468 votes.  That's a total of 2,728,445 votes and a difference of  93,509 Votes.

Using the 86% number, the total AZ voted would be 3,172,611 (rounded up).  Remaining votes uncounted 444,166 votes.

So what are the possibilities? (you can do some linear algebra to get the numbers in between)

Trump 80%, Biden 20% of the remaining votes: Trump Gains 266,500

Trump 75%, Biden 25%: Trump Gains 222,083

Trump 70%, Biden 30%: Trump Gains 177,666

Trump 65%, Biden 35%: Trump Gains 133,250

Trump 60%, Biden 40%: Trump Gains 88, 833

Trump 55%, Biden 45%: Trump Gains 44,417

50/50 Not Gains

So the break even for Trump needs to be 60.5% of the remaining votes, which I believe is VERY doable.  Then the Libretarian throws a 1% monkey wrench in these numbers and I'm too lazy to break that down.  

8 minutes ago, nkreed said:

If true, then Trump's road to a victory is slim.  Especially considering it's Mail In's which have swung heavily to Biden.

yea he would need one of those michigan ballot bag full of 200k trump votes to pull that county off.