Cam Newton ‘absolutely not’ the Patriots’ starting QB (?)

cd1

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

People here want so badly to believe that Cam is going to be a disaster and that the Patriots are going to suck for all of eternity that they’re willing to pretend that Cam was signed to back up Stidham and Hoyer.  Sorry to say it, but BB isn’t an idiot, and Cam is a competent QB even if he isn’t what he once was.  In fact, Cam is probably the closest comp to Josh Allen in terms of his skill set, style of play, and limitations.

Cam is older and beat up.

With that being said if he is still mobile then it will help their D prepare better for JA.  I don't think that will prepare them for all the weapons on this Offense tho.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree. I doubt Newton will know the system and have the discipline to run it. 

The unknown is how much Belichick will modify the system to get Newton's talent on the field. 

I have been saying since last season when Baltimore stomped New England BB would sign Cam and design a similar offense for him. With Michel and White back there with Cam I think they’ll try to run something similar. Cam obviously can’t take the hits Lamar can but I can 100% see the misdirection Baltimore uses from the O-line to the read being utilized. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Cam's just trying to say the right things. Truthfully, he's more focused on his outfit for the first post-game interview. 

Panthers Cam Newton: game comes down to a lack of offensive execution -  YouTube

That's his rural housewife look.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Cam's just trying to say the right things. Truthfully, he's more focused on his outfit for the first post-game interview. 

Panthers Cam Newton: game comes down to a lack of offensive execution -  YouTube

When I see this pic, I think of the Tic Toc thing Just Jack sent out (hilarious btw so thanks mods for not closing it as I laughed my head off) about the only QB with a tree growing out of his head.  I censored for the group.

Of course he’s the QB.  He’s just reading the script.  Next question as they say on Press Coverage.

40 minutes ago, Billl said:

People here want so badly to believe that Cam is going to be a disaster and that the Patriots are going to suck for all of eternity that they’re willing to pretend that Cam was signed to back up Stidham and Hoyer.  Sorry to say it, but BB isn’t an idiot, and Cam is a competent QB even if he isn’t what he once was.  In fact, Cam is probably the closest comp to Josh Allen in terms of his skill set, style of play, and limitations.

he definitely makes the qb room better, but that really wasn't a terribly hard thing to do.  i don't think anyone feels he'll be a disaster (unless they're referring to attitude issues) but as you mentioned, it's unlikely that he's back to that mvp form that one poster wants to remind us of every few minutes.  cam has just never made me nervous as a qb.  he can beat you, but i'm far less concerned with the pats going forward with cam than i ever was with brady.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Cam might be closer to Allen but I think Stidham is closer to Brady than Cam is. I see Stidham starting if he is healthy, he knows the offense better and I think he is a better fit for the Patriots offense. I see Newton in the Thad Lewis role except Cam will get a few more snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

Newton is just saying he's not up to starter standard of knowing the offense, it has nothing to do with the QB "competition".  The competition is over, the learning curve is not and thats the take away.  

4 hours ago, H2o said:

This guy is such a freak! 

I was never a fan of his, though he is an athletic talent.

His best days are long behind him, so I'm not that scared of him now in NE.

I will still believe that McClappy can beat Belichick when he actually does it.

This is just Cam saying the right things...the things Patriots want their players to say...kind of stuff.  He's is 100% without a shadow of a doubt the week 1 starter.  How long he holds on to the job depends on 2 things...his health and the win total of the Pats.  If the Pats fall out of contention and he is faltering, I definitely think they will make a switch to see what Stidham can do in live games before next draft.  

But, honestly, I don't think Cam will struggle there.  I don't expect him to find his MVP form (although, its still quite possible he could under BB like he rejuvenated Moss's career) of 5 years ago, but I do except him to be a good starting QB still as long as his body holds up.  And that is a legit question mark on him, especially with no preseason or camp to really test that body.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be more worried about TB12 or 2015 Cam than 2020 Cam. I do believe he is the week 1 starter tho & i know they'll design the offense around him.

They'll try to have him manage the game & not do too much out there, at least until he's shown he can handle more. He's only 31 years old, but has surely been hobbled & slowed by all the injuries. Can Cam be an effective pocket passer if he can't rely on his legs like he used to? Maybe he can, maybe he's regained some of his old form... idk.

The Pats keep a lid on the inner-workings of their team. Its not like they have a Chris Brown covering them!

Edited by brianthomas
  • Haha (+1) 1