Ford and Williams playing well as a duo at RG and RT, per Joe Buscaglia

Logic

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Is that what happened? That makes more sense. I only saw the wide shot it looked like he got trucked

Yeah. Plus it was 1 rep of 1vs1, not really much to make of it. Gave the rook some confidence though.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Dawkins/Spain/Morse/Ford/Williams?

Sign me up. That’s a top 10 OL. 

Potentially. Also love the depth of Feliciano (G/C), Nsekhe (LT/ RT), and Winters (RG/LG).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Thats the way I took it as well.   One of the things I agree with a lot of posters on here about is that Ford is a guard.

I think he could have been a good tackle, but he's gonna be a great guard!!  This is good!

• Like (+1) 1

Imagine if our OL actually IS now solidified and becomes top 10 in the league? We already have Singletary who was gashing defenses last year and now Moss who has drawn rave reviews thus far in TC. If our running game becomes upper echelon then that will open things up for the passing game that much more. This team will be a LEGIT contender. 

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Half the posters here also wanted dawkins to play guard lol

You need to develop tackles, it's hard

The Dawkins guard people were and are out of their minds, Dawkins is a tackle, is built like a tackle, and his film says tackle.  If you go back and watch Ford at OU I just thought it screamed guard because of what a bruiser he is, plus he tends to play with a lower center of gravity in spite of the fact that he is around the same height as Dawkins.

I do agree tackles are coming out more raw and need to be developed, I just dont think that was the case with Ford.   His body type, arm length, and style of play doesnt look like a long term fit at tackle regardless of coaching.   He doesn't have incredibly quick feet which causes him to lunge, which makes his shorter arms more of an issue.  I think its a very good move, and he may end up a pro bowler because of it.

4 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Agreed, Williams was asked to play too many positions last year and was still recovering from injury. He used to be an excellent player and hopefully will regain that form. If the Bills have decided Ford is best at Guard, I hope they keep him there and let him get comfortable at the position (no more flip-flopping between OG and OT). 

On a side note, given the recent stadium situation, aren't you contractually obligated to change your name to 'Bills Stadium' now? ?

No.  My name has nothing to do with the hat Co.   It signaled the beginning of a “new era” for the buffalo bills.  The Drew Bledsoe era.  Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

No.  My name has nothing to do with the hat Co.   It signaled the beginning of a “new era” for the buffalo bills.  The Drew Bledsoe era.  Lol

I figured that was probably the case but couldn't pass up the opportunity lol.

Your name is maybe more relevant now than ever, onwards and upwards with McBeane! Go Bills brother! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I figured that was probably the case but couldn't pass up the opportunity lol.

Your name is maybe more relevant now than ever, onwards and upwards with McBeane! Go Bills brother! 

I won’t stop billeiving!!!

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I haven't gone through this entire thread, but I think I may be the only one on this board that thinks Ford is going to stay at RT, and Williams will play RG.

Anything is possible but the smart move is to have it the reverse.

Ford at RG allows the team a lot of flexibility in their game day roster.

They can dress 7 OLmen and have 4 players with extensive starting tackle experience, 3 players with extensive starting guard experience (if you include Ford’s days at Oklahoma), and 2 players with extensive starting center experience.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I haven't gone through this entire thread, but I think I may be the only one on this board that thinks Ford is going to stay at RT, and Williams will play RG.

So the reason to do this is if the Bills are still adamant that Ford is their long term right tackle. Once you move him to guard the chances are he is your guard moving forward. 

If however the Bills have any doubt about his long term suitability at tackle then the priority should be putting out their best combination of 5 as it stands today. I am strongly of the view that is likely Williams at tackle and Cody inside. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So the reason to do this is if the Bills are still adamant that Ford is their long term right tackle. Once you move him to guard the chances are he is your guard moving forward. 

If however the Bills have any doubt about his long term suitability at tackle then the priority should be putting out their best combination of 5 as it stands today. I am strongly of the view that is likely Williams at tackle and Cody inside. 

I agree with this in theory, although I don't think they need to be all that "adamant."  I think they're confident Ford will continue to develop. I also think Ford grew comfortable in his role as last season progressed. And, if Ford is a better G than T, the same might be said for Williams. 

I also suspect that the acquisitions for such a deep O-line unit may have more to do with the possibility for attrition due to Covid-19. Offensive, and defensive linemen are certainly the highest risk players on the team as they are in close, face-to-face contact with opposing players, and many of them are technically obese. I would not be surprised if, in practice, they were moving players around the line a lot for this reason.

But, I still think, at least for the start of the season, they are going to place a higher value on continuity than they would for other, more typical seasons.

If that's what works, I'm all for it.  I think the biggest question mark regarding that combination, was the health of Darryl Williams.  It  the Bills get a positive answer, then they're set on the right side.  Ty Nsekhe becomes the obvious swing tackle in reserve.  The only major question left becomes interior depth.  There's too much of it.  They would likely go into the season with 8 offensive linemen on the 53 man roster.  If Williams and Ford nail down the right side, while Spain and Dawkins on the left and Morse in the middle.  Nsekhe makes 6, and there's room for 2 more.  Obviously at least one of those and preferably both have position flexibility between center and both guard spots.  Competing veterans include Boehm, Boettger and Winters.  First or second year interior linemen include Bates and Harrell,  Clearly, Beane will try to trade somebody.  I'm guessing the Bills may keep one veteran backup and one youngster, probably Ryan Bates because of his wide position flexibility.  Winters is obviously starter quality, but I don't know how much center he's ever played.  

34 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I agree with this in theory, although I don't think they need to be all that "adamant."  I think they're confident Ford will continue to develop. I also think Ford grew comfortable in his role as last season progressed. And, if Ford is a better G than T, the same might be said for Williams. 

I also suspect that the acquisitions for such a deep O-line unit may have more to do with the possibility for attrition due to Covid-19. Offensive, and defensive linemen are certainly the highest risk players on the team as they are in close, face-to-face contact with opposing players, and many of them are technically obese. I would not be surprised if, in practice, they were moving players around the line a lot for this reason.

But, I still think, at least for the start of the season, they are going to place a higher value on continuity than they would for other, more typical seasons.

Strongly disagree with the bolded. Based on what he has put on tape in the NFL Williams is definitely better at tackle than guard. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Strongly disagree with the bolded. Based on what he has put on tape in the NFL Williams is definitely better at tackle than guard. 

Yup.  Again, he was a 2nd team All-Pro RT at in 2017 and the Bills have needed a good RT for over a decade.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Ford at RG allows the team a lot of flexibility in their game day roster.

They can dress 7 OLmen and have 4 players with extensive starting tackle experience, 3 players with extensive starting guard experience (if you include Ford’s days at Oklahoma), and 2 players with extensive starting center experience.

The new rules will allow them to dress 8 OL.  I do agree that the flexibility is good.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

If that's what works, I'm all for it.  I think the biggest question mark regarding that combination, was the health of Darryl Williams.  It  the Bills get a positive answer, then they're set on the right side.  Ty Nsekhe becomes the obvious swing tackle in reserve.  The only major question left becomes interior depth.  There's too much of it.  They would likely go into the season with 8 offensive linemen on the 53 man roster.  If Williams and Ford nail down the right side, while Spain and Dawkins on the left and Morse in the middle.  Nsekhe makes 6, and there's room for 2 more.  Obviously at least one of those and preferably both have position flexibility between center and both guard spots.  Competing veterans include Boehm, Boettger and Winters.  First or second year interior linemen include Bates and Harrell,  Clearly, Beane will try to trade somebody.  I'm guessing the Bills may keep one veteran backup and one youngster, probably Ryan Bates because of his wide position flexibility.  Winters is obviously starter quality, but I don't know how much center he's ever played.  

I think they’re going to keep 9.  Feliciano has to make the final 53 to get on IR-eligible to return, right?  If that’s the case, and if they think Feliciano can make it back this year, then we might see 10 (incl. Feliciano) stay on cutdown day, with Feliciano to IR the next day.  I kind of wonder if Bates, Winters, and Boehm/Boettger will round out that group of 9.  We could always release a veteran likely to return and go light in a given position group for a day (e.g., T.J. Yeldon, or Croom if they IR/stash Sweeney and go 3 TE to start the year).  

As an aside, why Yeldon is a lock to make this team is beyond me.  I guess it’s only because the Bills like to have a vet in each position group.  

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why not let them dress everyone?

I agree with you in theory.  The idea is that a healthy team with a deeper roster would have an advantage over a banged-up team in your scenario. 

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I think they’re going to keep 9.  Feliciano has to make the final 53 to get on IR-eligible to return, right?  If that’s the case, and if they think Feliciano can make it back this year, then we might see 10 (incl. Feliciano) stay on cutdown day, with Feliciano to IR the next day.  I kind of wonder if Bates, Winters, and Boehm/Boettger will round out that group of 9.  We could always release a veteran likely to return and go light in a given position group for a day (e.g., T.J. Yeldon, or Croom if they IR/stash Sweeney and go 3 TE to start the year).  

As an aside, why Yeldon is a lock to make this team is beyond me.  I guess it’s only because the Bills like to have a vet in each position group.  

I agree with you in theory.  The idea is that a healthy team with a deeper roster would have an advantage over a banged-up team in your scenario. 

C3, yes that is one of the reasons for not dressing everyone.

The other main reason I have also read about is if a team can dress all 53 it would tend to have teams want to get rid of "nicked up" players (especially

guys lower down the roster) for healthy players.  

With the new rules on being able to dress 2 more players (1 being an OL position which means every team will dress 8) there will be times

later in the season where most of the guys not dressing will be dinged up.

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

As an aside, why Yeldon is a lock to make this team is beyond me.  

I don't think he is anything close to a lock. At this point he more likely is off the team than on it IMO. Singletary and Moss will be the 1-2 punch and Taiwan Jones will supplant Yeldon as the receiving back because he is going to be their starting gunner on special teams.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is anything close to a lock. At this point he more likely is off the team than on it IMO. Singletary and Moss will be the 1-2 punch and Taiwan Jones will supplant Yeldon as the receiving back because he is going to be their starting gunner on special teams.

This might throw a wrench in Taiwan Jones doing that. Injury report has him down with a knee injury.

https://www.localsyr.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-training-camp-injury-report-august-24th/

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I’m with you.  I just don’t see the need for Yeldon, particularly when retaining that insurance policy could cost us a promising young player we might otherwise be able to stash for a year (e.g., Sweeney, Darryl Johnson, Hodgins).  

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Ferguson wears an OL number, so he probably counts...which gives any team smart enough to have their LS wear a number in the 50-70 range a lineup advantage.

Wow, very interesting point.  I'm not sure but these long snappers have a LS designation on the roster and the CBA says OL so get the lawyers.

LOL.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wow, very interesting point.  I'm not sure but these long snappers have a LS designation on the roster and the CBA says OL so get the lawyers.

LOL.

“The 2020 Bills will be bucking trends and going without a long snapper for the season.

In completely unrelated news, Reid Ferguson appears to be handling his transition to 3rd string center so well that the team expects him to be their 8th active OLman on game day.”

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Dawkins guard people were and are out of their minds, Dawkins is a tackle, is built like a tackle, and his film says tackle.  If you go back and watch Ford at OU I just thought it screamed guard because of what a bruiser he is, plus he tends to play with a lower center of gravity in spite of the fact that he is around the same height as Dawkins.

I do agree tackles are coming out more raw and need to be developed, I just dont think that was the case with Ford.   His body type, arm length, and style of play doesnt look like a long term fit at tackle regardless of coaching.   He doesn't have incredibly quick feet which causes him to lunge, which makes his shorter arms more of an issue.  I think its a very good move, and he may end up a pro bowler because of it.

I have watched every snap of Ford at Oklahoma

he was a better tackle than guard, that is why I think he needs to have time to develop at tackle, because he has a high ceiling

he was a fifth-round guard prospect on my board, his senior season at tackle turned him into a borderline first-round pick

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a terrible comparison.  Joe Thomas actually had kinda short arms for an OT.  He had amazing technique and very quick feet.  He was a totally different kind of player. 

It’d be great if Ford has solidified the RG spot - and Williams RT.  We’d have four of the five OL spots locked down for next season and we could look to extend Williams to lock down the fifth.  That’s such a big step forward from a few weeks ago with Dawkins unsigned past this season and the right side totally unsettled.  I’m not taking the report as gospel quite yet, but I’m happy to hear positive information.  The OL coming together would be huge. 

I never said he was like Joe Thomas. Somebody said he had short arms for a tackle, and he doesn't. He has average arm length, longer arms and Joe Thomas. And Ford has very quick feet

And I watched every single snap of Cody Ford at Oklahoma. His play was much better at tackle than guard, which is why I say he needs development

His guard play was not amazing at Oklahoma. It was good. He was about a 5th 6th round pick imo when he changed to right tackle and his play picked up tremendously

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/cody-ford

Reading this, some slightly different opinions from scouts. And his footwork is inconsistent, but everybody says he has very quick feet, is a tremendous athlete, and should be slotted at tackle first because his size and athleticism

All three of those scouts say guard should be a fall back, and I saw the same thing when I was scouting him. He just has so much talent that you need to try him at tackle, until it fails

Edited by Buffalo716

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I honestly didn't realize he was 27. If he could stay healthy he definitely has a chance to regain form and be a good player in this league

And that would be a real find for Beane.  Our RT's over the years have been less then stellar.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have watched every snap of Ford at Oklahoma

he was a better tackle than guard, that is why I think he needs to have time to develop at tackle, because he has a high ceiling

he was a fifth-round guard prospect on my board, his senior season at tackle turned him into a borderline first-round pick

I never said he was like Joe Thomas. Somebody said he had short arms for a tackle, and he doesn't. He has average arm length, longer arms and Joe Thomas. And Ford has very quick feet

And I watched every single snap of Cody Ford at Oklahoma. His play was much better at tackle than guard, which is why I say he needs development

His guard play was not amazing at Oklahoma. It was good. He was about a 5th 6th round pick imo when he changed to right tackle and his play picked up tremendously

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/cody-ford

Reading this, some slightly different opinions from scouts. And his footwork is inconsistent, but everybody says he has very quick feet, is a tremendous athlete, and should be slotted at tackle first because his size and athleticism

All three of those scouts say guard should be a fall back, and I saw the same thing when I was scouting him. He just has so much talent that you need to try him at tackle, until it fails

Agree to disagree on this one.  Just a different perspective, but I think we agree he has all the talent in the world to turn into a great olineman.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agree to disagree on this one.  Just a different perspective, but I think we agree he has all the talent in the world to turn into a great olineman.

Of course

Men with his size with his strength shouldn't move how he moves

Edited by Buffalo716

23 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Ford on DT and Williams on DE subtle way of saying their positions without actually saying it.

I have hoped all along that Williams could be the RT. It’s time to end the Cody Ford RT experiment if he will be an above average guard but just an average RT. Go for it. 

14 hours ago, CSBill said:

In addition, I think this gives the Bills some trade bate. It would surprise no one if, like last year, one or two of the back-ups is traded for a draft pick in the late camp days. When was the last time the Bills had that kind of depth?

Last year.

I think they liked Feliciano and Ford as a combo and attitude.  With the loss of Feliciano I think Ford gives the line that attitude.   At guard I think he will flurish.  With a healthy Williams the online looks pretty solid.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

This has been explained many times.  If you dress all you expect all to play and what happens when someone gets dinged for a few weeks is the player gets replaced.  Same with players with less experience they get released rather than developed with team hoping to re-sign them but other teams sign them.  That is actually how Bills got Steve Tasker - he was released for a game because his team needed space for another player and Bills grabbed him.