Ford and Williams playing well as a duo at RG and RT, per Joe Buscaglia

Logic

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

In my opinion, Ford starting at RG and Williams at RT is the best possible scenario.

It puts Ford at the position he seems best suited for, puts Williams at the position where he was a former 2nd team All-Pro, and allows Nsekhe to be our swing tackle. 

Basically, assuming Williams is back at his previously high level of play, this combo would improve THREE o-line positions.

also, if it works well, it puts a healthy Mongo as the backup IOL with flex at both guards and C which is also huge.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Before anyone takes this farther than it really should, Buscaglia was just mentioning one single play. The focus of the article was on them working well together, not their positions. It’s still anyone’s guess where they’ll line up. 

My money is that Williams will stay at RT and Ford will stay at RG.  At least for this year.  Williams is only signed for a year.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

also, if it works well, it puts a healthy Mongo as the backup IOL with flex at both guards and C which is also huge.

I think Mongo takes the year off and Winters is the backup OL.  He's played LG and RG for the Jets, but started mostly at RG.  Backup C is probably Bates.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

In my opinion, Ford starting at RG and Williams at RT is the best possible scenario.

It puts Ford at the position he seems best suited for, puts Williams at the position where he was a former 2nd team All-Pro, and allows Nsekhe to be our swing tackle. 

Basically, assuming Williams is back at his previously high level of play, this combo would improve THREE o-line positions.

Williams is on a one year contract. This would give Ford more time to develop while seeing from guard position how another player players OT position.  He got some of that year watching Nsekhe.

If this sticks, I actually see Brian Winters being cut.

Feliciano and Boehm both offer more versatility as interior swing players.

Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Ford - Williams

Depth: Nsekhe, Feliciano, Boehm/Bates

Looks good to me.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Ford has All Pro potential at RG.. like 5-6x Pro Bowl talent at guard.. no surprise to see him doing well there.. no surprise at all..

He may eventually become a good RT, but he could be an excellent RG much sooner.  Keep him there, again, for this year at least.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

If this sticks, I actually see Brian Winters being cut.

Feliciano and Boehm both offer more versatility as interior swing players.

Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Ford - Williams

Depth: Nsekhe, Feliciano, Boehm/Bates

Looks good to me.

Feliciano doesn't even enter into the equation anytime soon, if at all this season.  And they had 9 OL on the opening day roster last year.  I thought they'd keep Winters over Boehm anyway, but if they keep 9 it's moot.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Thats the way I took it as well.   One of the things I agree with a lot of posters on here about is that Ford is a guard.

Half the posters here also wanted dawkins to play guard lol

You need to develop tackles, it's hard

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Half the posters here also wanted dawkins to play guard lol

You need to develop tackles, it's hard

Even if at the present time a) there' s a better RT option and b) he's better-suited to RG?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Even if there's a better RT option and he's best-suited at the present time to play RG?

If him and Williams are the best pairing on the right side, then you should build chemistry

But Williams is a stop Gap and we need a right tackle for the future

I think Cody Ford could be a good guard, but his tackle play at Oklahoma was much better. And a man with that size and athleticism sounds like a great person to groom at right tackle

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

He may eventually become a good RT, but he could be an excellent RG much sooner.  Keep him there

I don’t think he has the feet for RT.. I see him as an average RT and an upper echelon prospect at RG.. He is extremely powerful and strong at the point of attack but not overly athletic.. If Williams beat out Nsekhe at RT, that’s a good sign that we should be good there.... if we follow McD’s mantra that each player should be their best self, Ford needs to kick inside where he could potentially dominate and be elite.. 

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t think he has the feet for RT.. I see him as an average RT and an upper echelon prospect at RG.. He is extremely powerful and strong at the point of attack but not overly athletic.. If Williams beat out Nsekhe at RT, that’s a good sign that we should be good there.... if we follow McD’s mantra that each player should be their best self, Ford needs to kick inside where he could potentially dominate and be elite.. 

His feet were extremely impressive at Oklahoma. and he's a tremendous athlete for a man that size

His tackle play was much better than his junior year of guard, and it takes time to develop tackles

There are a lot of good guards in the league, their is a shortage of tackles

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

His feet were extremely impressive at Oklahoma. and he's a tremendous athlete for a man that size

His tackle play was much better than his junior year of guard

He’s not overly long and he hasn’t shown me in my humble opinion that he is nimble enough to play outside.. I think he is built like a guard..... and a very good one at that...

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He’s not overly long and he hasn’t shown me in my humble opinion that he is nimble enough to play outside.. I think he is built like a guard..... and a very good one at that...

He has longer arms than Joe Thomas. and rookie tackles usually are thinking a lot more than playing, that's why they're slower

The dude is a freak athlete. he went from being a fifth-round guard prospect to a borderline first-round tackle prospect

Guards are actually easy to find, tackles aren't and 99% need development

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

He has longer arms than Joe Thomas. and rookie tackles usually are thinking a lot more than playing, that's why they're slower

The dude is a freak athlete. he went from being a fifth-round guard prospect to a borderline first-round tackle prospect

He was very average last year.... but he flashed tremendous potential when it came to getting push in the run game.. if you put him at RG, nobody is going to get through him and no one will get around him.. ideal bodyguard for Josh Allen.. monster run blocker which is what he does best..

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

He was very average last year.... but he flashed tremendous potential when it came to getting push in the run game.. if you put him at RG, nobody is going to get through him and no one will get around him.. ideal bodyguard for Josh Allen.. monster run blocker which is what he does best..

Yeah he has a higher floor at guard. You can mask weaknesses

But we haven't developed the right tackle here in a decade and he's our best chance in the next 2 to 5 years

Most tackles peak at 28 to 29 years old. He has tons of game to grow

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

Yeah he has a higher floor at guard. You can mask weaknesses

But we haven't developed the right tackle here in a decade and he's our best chance in the next 2 to 5 years

Well... I highly trust Bobby Johnson... we should rejoice over the fact that he is on our coaching staff... he is absolutely one of the best o-line coaches in the NFL... If he wants Ford at RG, I trust him... if he wants Ford at RT I’ll put my foot in my mouth and shut up..

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

Well... I highly trust Bobby Johnson... we should rejoice over the fact that he is on our coaching staff... he is absolutely one of the best o-line coaches in the NFL... If he wants Ford at RG, I trust him... if he wants Ford at RT I’ll put my foot in my mouth and shut up..

We have two veteran starting right tackles on our roster

Again most right tackles don't even start till they're 26 27 years old. Cody Ford has a lot of time to learn the right tackle position.