Why Not Beane as President & GM of the Bills?

LB48

Why? 

I might want hockey people in charge of the hockey team. The trick is getting the RIGHT hockey people.  Let the football thing keep trending upwards. 

I wouldn’t want a proctologist dealing with my slice on the golf course. But maybe that’s just me.

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It strikes me that there is a group of posters here who can’t bring themselves to understand that Kim owns the damn team, there is only one reason for the continued insistence that she should not be in in charge of her team... time for you boys to get over it. You shine the bright light of misogyny on yourselves. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I love Beane but I’m gonna go with if it’s not broke don’t fix it. Now the Sabres on the other hand are broke and need fixing

Precisely.

Last thing you want to do is give him non-football work to interfere with his team-building duties.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I am still not convinced that when the rubber hits the road the final say is not McDermott's. I think they are totally aligned and rarely disagree but giving the President title to Beane may have some issues from that perspective. The only reason I might consider it is to allow me to keep Joe Schoen.... if I could make Beane President but keep him in charge of the football operation and give Schoen the GM title.... I mean it would tempt me. 

But generally I am in the not broke, don't fix it brigade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I don't think there's a single thing about the Bills management team that needs changing.  Both Beane and McDermott are young, doing a great job, and seem totally dedicated to THIS TEAM.  Leave well enough alone.

It took the Pegulas a couple of tries to get the current leadership team in place for the Bills.  They haven't found it yet for the Sabres.  When they do, their best move is to let hockey people make the hockey decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It strikes me that there is a group of posters here who can’t bring themselves to understand that Kim owns the damn team, there is only one reason for the continued insistence that she should not be in in charge of her team... time for you boys to get over it. You shine the bright light of misogyny on yourselves. 

Go Bills!!!

I was wondering why the Bills would embarrass themselves twice with the all red uniforms.  Then I found out it was a woman's decision and it made complete sense.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

I have no problems with a woman as President of a team as long as she allows the football or hockey people take care of the sports stuff, amd she focuses on the business aspects of each team.  I don’t, nor does anyone else know her business acumen.  These are all guesses.  I’ve had women in a position of authority over me several times and had very good Are Vice Presidents in my line of work.  Don, you might be right with some bias or not.  I don’t know what’s in people’s heart.  I wouldn’t want though Beane being distracted from the incredible work he has done these last three years.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Why? 

I might want hockey people in charge of the hockey team. Let the football thing keep trending upwards. 

I wouldn’t want a proctologist dealing with my slice on the golf course. But maybe that’s just me.

Well, if you are still slicing maybe it's time to try something new.

Perhaps his background and skills are a good fit for that position, but we don't know that. Besides, he still hasn't proven himself as a GM yet. Let's see how his 1st and 2nd rounders pan out first, can we? None of them have played up to their draft position yet. Good lord! Some people talk like these guys just won back to back SB's. In 2018 you all wanted the Pegulas to clean house despite the obvious fact that it was a rebuilding year and I was defending them. Can't anyone exercise sober judgement here? If they lose you want Beane and McDermott fired immediately. If they win a single game against a decent team you want them annointed as president of the team. Get a grip. We've had 2 playoff losses in 3 years. Forget the slump. The goal is the Lombardi trophy and that's the standard they will ultimately be judged by.

Gregg, I’ll exercise sober judgment as long as I can have a beer in my hand.  Sorry, too easy and I almost never drink alcohol.  Nothing against it, I just feel like every glass of wine is another 15 minutes on the eliptical.  I’ll meet you in the middle as I agree they haven’t won a SB, and they also Don’t suck.  Beane may not have been officially involved in the 2018 draft as they fired Whaley the day after, but he was officially hired within a few days.  My guess is Beane and McD were working together on that draft as well as the next two and he had his hand in a lot of those free agents.

Ill say what I always say, I’m cautiously optimistic on Allen, Beane, and McD.  I think Beane and McD have done a very good job to date, but you’re right, we haven’t even won a playoff game yet.  They give every sign though they will and most likely this year.  I still say I wouldn’t want Beane as the President too.  Stay in his lane.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am still not convinced that when the rubber hits the road the final say is not McDermott's. I think they are totally aligned and rarely disagree but giving the President title to Beane may have some issues from that perspective. The only reason I might consider it is to allow me to keep Joe Schoen.... if I could make Beane President but keep him in charge of the football operation and give Schoen the GM title.... I mean it would tempt me. 

But generally I am in the not broke, don't fix it brigade. 

Yeah, if you make Beane Prez then you suddenly make him McD’s boss rather than his equal.  I don’t think that’s happening.  I like Schoen a lot as well but we just need to come to grips with the fact that within a year or so he’ll get a GM gig elsewhere.  That’s ok; good organizations lose people — I hope and trust the Bills know this too and are grooming others to backfill.

• Like (+1) 2

its not a bad idea, but does Beano have the interest and the background to run the entire football business; its not the model the Pegulas embrace given past experiences and this summers purge of the Sabres ?  Would it detract from Beano scouting and player review-evaluations-decisions ?  I dont see it happening but I do hope for a 5 year GM extension soon

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I have no problems with a woman as President of a team as long as she allows the football or hockey people take care of the sports stuff, amd she focuses on the business aspects of each team.  I don’t, nor does anyone else know her business acumen.  These are all guesses.  I’ve had women in a position of authority over me several times and had very good Are Vice Presidents in my line of work.  Don, you might be right with some bias or not.  I don’t know what’s in people’s heart.  I wouldn’t want though Beane being distracted from the incredible work he has done these last three years.

Has she in any fashion caused an issue? The answer is she has not. So what is the motivation for the constant jabbering for her to remove herself from a position of authority? 

4 hours ago, QCity said:

I love what the Pegulas have done in the area, but Kim has no business being President of either team. That may sound harsh, but it's true.

During her tenure as owner and president nothing has been done to interfere with what can be consider football decisions, so what’s the problem?  A make believe fantasy of issues?  Scant reasoning at best. There are lots of folk without business degrees successfully running businesses small and large all over the world. So again what’s the problem?

Ya need to get over it. Nuthin but luv, 

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I was wondering why the Bills would embarrass themselves twice with the all red uniforms.  Then I found out it was a woman's decision and it made complete sense.

You’re anti red helmets I take it... ?

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yeah, if you make Beane Prez then you suddenly make him McD’s boss rather than his equal.  I don’t think that’s happening.  I like Schoen a lot as well but we just need to come to grips with the fact that within a year or so he’ll get a GM gig elsewhere.  That’s ok; good organizations lose people — I hope and trust the Bills know this too and are grooming others to backfill.

Yea. I just think he is the best talent evaluator in the organisation and we will miss him. But you are right we have other good guys on staff and Beane will no doubt backfill well. Our personnel staff is genuinely an excellent group. I am not really for changing what we have but if there are ways to keep Schoen I'd be willing to think creatively. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Has she in any fashion caused an issue? The answer is she has not. So what is the motivation for the constant jabbering for her to remove herself from a position of authority? 

The Sabres are the worst team in hockey and they’ve fired like 50 people since the Pegulas took over.

so yeah

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Sabres are the worst team in hockey and they’ve fired like 50 people since the Pegulas took over.

so yeah

So??? There is always gonna be a team that is in last place, in every league ever. 

The majority of the Bills history they have been bottom dwellers with men owners/presidents,  currently the woman owner/ president of the Bills is doing a better job than most of the men who have done the job before her. 

She owns both the damn teams.

ya gotta get over it, it’s not the early 1800s anymore... women own stuff, they make decisions about the stuff they own... 

Go Bills!!! 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, LB48 said:

Kim could remain CEO and spend more time re-building the Sabres!  Really - Why Not??

Last time that happened GM went out of control.

And IMO it is more important for Pegulas to have a face in NFL meetings and committees.

10 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Ummmm...Kim needs to spend LESS time on the Sabres! ?

Best solution - sell team and let new owner move.  She will get no more complaints from Sabre fans.

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

President doesn't do anything TBH. Let Beane worry about the important things.

Obviously you do not know anything especially important things.

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

So??? There is always gonna be a team that is in last place, in every league ever. 

The Sabres didn’t just finish last one season. They have been terrible for the last decade since the Pegula’s took over...and before anyone crowns them as great Bills owners, maybe they should wait until the team wins a couple of playoff games. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

My guess is Beane and McD were working together on that draft as well as the next two and he had his hand in a lot of those free agents.

Not likely at all with him working for another team.  That kind of P*ts cheating would result in suspensions and loss of multiple draft picks.

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Best solution - sell team and let new owner move.  She will get no more complaints from Sabre fans.

So, just be happy we have a team even though they are an embarrassment to the NHL.  

They love suckers, I mean fans like you. 

Just now, LabattBlue said:

So, just be happy we have a team even though they are an embarrassment to the NHL.  

They love suckers, I mean fans like you. 

Sorry no.   Have not followed the Sabres since 90s and I just want suck-ers to go elsewhere. I mean fans like you.

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So I had ST for almost 20 years before giving them up, you haven’t followed the team for 20+ years, but you know better than me?

Stick to your crappy Bills takes instead.  

Put me on ignore if you are not interested my take in Sabres comments on Bills forum.  

Rumor there is a Sabres forum for those type of discussions. 

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Last time that happened GM went out of control.

And IMO it is more important for Pegulas to have a face in NFL meetings and committees.

Obviously you do not know anything especially important things.

Look at you acting like a child over a comment... Are you the Bills president that why you had to be a smart ass?

NM looking at your replies in this thread I can see you are a trolling asshat.

Edited by TBBills

Beane is the epitome of the younger GM generation.  Close relationship with the HC, not afraid to make trades, good with cap management, helps establish with the HC a philosophy of play that guides personnel decisions, good player communication.

I hope Kevyn sits down with him to get advice on the Sabres.  Speaking of which, they have a HC in Kruger that is process oriented like McD, with a GM of similar mindset.  I hope we see the same results as the McD/Beane combo.

Edited by oldmanfan

Serious question...does anyone really think Kim Pegula "meddles" in hockey- and football- related decisions for either franchise?  If so, I'd like concrete examples that are more than hearsay.  It's clear to me that Beane and McD have leeway to operate the Bills as they see fit.  The problem for the Sabres is simply that they've hired the wrong guys.  That's it.  She's one of the best owners in sports, and the Sabres will be "fixed" when they have the right GM and coach in place.  I think they have it half right (coach) and hopefully Adams is the right GM.

The "Kim should step down" nonsense is just that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, eball said:

Serious question...does anyone really think Kim Pegula "meddles" in hockey- and football- related decisions for either franchise?  If so, I'd like concrete examples that are more than hearsay.  It's clear to me that Beane and McD have leeway to operate the Bills as they see fit.  The problem for the Sabres is simply that they've hired the wrong guys.  That's it.  She's one of the best owners in sports, and the Sabres will be "fixed" when they have the right GM and coach in place.  I think they have it half right (coach) and hopefully Adams is the right GM.

The "Kim should step down" nonsense is just that.

I think since Beane and McDermott arrived the Pegulas have taken a step back. While I don't think they were making football decisions prior to that they hired McDermott - he was their choice - and they hired Rex - he was their choice also. Consequently because of the Rex - Whaley discord I think they meddled in the sense that they interfered in that relationship. Not in terms of "draft this guy" or "cut this guy" but every time they intervened it that power dynamic it indirectly affected football decisions - sitting Tyrod ultimately being the biggest. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think since Beane and McDermott arrived the Pegulas have taken a step back. While I don't think they were making football decisions prior to that they hired McDermott - he was their choice - and they hired Rex - he was their choice also. Consequently because of the Rex - Whaley discord I think they meddled in the sense that they interfered in that relationship. Not in terms of "draft this guy" or "cut this guy" but every time they intervened it that power dynamic it indirectly affected football decisions - sitting Tyrod ultimately being the biggest. 

You think the Pegulas played a role in McD sitting Tyrod in 2017?  That's curious; I've never heard that take before.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

And what about the Bills?

The Bills extended a bad GM, hired a terrible HC, but appear to have gotten it right on their second try.

Put the Sabres and Bills good moves and bad moves in a column and it’s pretty one sided.

7 minutes ago, eball said:

You think the Pegulas played a role in McD sitting Tyrod in 2017?  That's curious; I've never heard that take before.

I think they made the decision that despite the alleged "flat" structure it was Whaley's call. Whaley decided to sit Tyrod. Rex was fuming and demanded to know if his job was on the line, Terry said yep and Rex said "well fire me now".

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they made the decision that despite the alleged "flat" structure it was Whaley's call. Whaley decided to sit Tyrod. Rex was fuming and demanded to know if his job was on the line, Terry said yep and Rex said "well fire me now".

Ohhhhh...you mean the W16 decision in 2016...gotcha.

• Like (+1) 1