How are you handling fantasy leagues during Covid?

Process

For those in leagues where owners typically get together for the draft, what are you doing this year? Still getting together? Moving everything online? Video chatting?

Making any adjustments to rosters/bench given the possibility of players missing time?

Making any decisions now on what to do if season gets suspended/postponed/doesn't finish?

I don’t even know if we’re doing our league this year.  We were chatting in our league text chain, and the consensus seems to be that everyone wants to see what the “COVID NFL” is going to look like before we commit to anything.

Will we need to allow for larger rosters?  What happens if your starting QB tests positive and is out for 2 or more weeks?  Some strange things can come into play.

• Like (+1) 1

Cutting down on all my leagues and involvement. As much fun as it has been over the years, I'm just turned off by the leagues attitude and response. They are a joke. "Football Team" How pathetic is Washington. Once the league got political, it started losing my monetary support. I'll root for the Bills (of course) but outside of them, interest is lost for now.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Draft on, baby -- we're gonna have NFL football!

54 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Cutting down on all my leagues and involvement. As much fun as it has been over the years, I'm just turned off by the leagues attitude and response. They are a joke. "Football Team" How pathetic is Washington. Once the league got political, it started losing my monetary support. I'll root for the Bills (of course) but outside of them, interest is lost for now.

whambulance.png

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

I quit playing last season from burnout.  A fanduel here and there cures the itch.  Season long league got old and the fun parts of it disappeared with time (in person drafts/trades/contact during the season all faded away over the years)

• Like (+1) 1

Same rules as usual--though my league already has two extra bench spots by default. We did agree that if the season ends early, our 1-4 money spots will be determined by overall points. This is a low-stakes friendly league though, so it wasn't too difficult to come up with a plan. 

We added an extra I/R spot strictly for a player out because of COVID. We also allowed are traditional I/R spot to be used for a player on COVID as well. 

I'm more looking forward to going to place bets at the Sports Book downtown on weekly games.

I have worked in the ER for 24 years and the job is a meat grinder.  I follow politics closely because I think it's my duty to be an informed citizen and voter.  Over the last several years the political world has become so vicious and personal and nasty that watching the news is now almost as bad as being at work for me.  The Buffalo Bills and my fantasy football league have been a needed escape for me and I have looked forward to every new season like a five year old waiting for Christmas .

Now that has changed.

Despite the Bills looking better than they have in twenty years, I just am not excited for the season to start or to play fantasy football.  Football has been polluted by politics to the point that it has taken a lot of the joy out of it for me.  I can't listen to sports radio anymore because they don't talk about sports, it's all politics.  The NFL, which used to be a treasured escape from my daily grind, is now just one more place where people are fighting and at each others throat. 

I'm not excited about the upcoming season.  I'm mad that my escape has been ruined by people who need to shove their unsolicited political opinions in my face.  I'm mad at the NFL for not standing up at the beginning and saying that everyone has a right to speak their mind and be politically active on their own time, but when you are at work you need to stick to your job and not talk politics.  Just like I don't walk into my patient's room here in the ER and talk politics because it's not appropriate, the NFL should have said this is a place for unity not division, and the players, coaches, and owners should check their politics at the door.   

The NFL should be a place that brings all Americans together despite their race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation.  If you're wearing Bills gear on Sunday then you are my brother or sister.  We're family.  Now that is being taken away and it's a damn shame.  The NFL is going to suffer for this unnecessary and divisive embrace of politics and many long time fans will start to slowly drift away.  Our country will lose another institution that brought us all together and we will all be worse off for it.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Can't wait to see the smoke signal for Tuanigamanuolepola Tagovailoa.

That one is actually the most simple in smoke signal language.

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I have worked in the ER for 24 years and the job is a meat grinder.  I follow politics closely because I think it's my duty to be an informed citizen and voter.  Over the last several years the political world has become so vicious and personal and nasty that watching the news is now almost as bad as being at work for me.  The Buffalo Bills and my fantasy football league have been a needed escape for me and I have looked forward to every new season like a five year old waiting for Christmas .

Now that has changed.

Despite the Bills looking better than they have in twenty years, I just am not excited for the season to start or to play fantasy football.  Football has been polluted by politics to the point that it has taken a lot of the joy out of it for me.  I can't listen to sports radio anymore because they don't talk about sports, it's all politics.  The NFL, which used to be a treasured escape from my daily grind, is now just one more place where people are fighting and at each others throat. 

I'm not excited about the upcoming season.  I'm mad that my escape has been ruined by people who need to shove their unsolicited political opinions in my face.  I'm mad at the NFL for not standing up at the beginning and saying that everyone has a right to speak their mind and be politically active on their own time, but when you are at work you need to stick to your job and not talk politics.  Just like I don't walk into my patient's room here in the ER and talk politics because it's not appropriate, the NFL should have said this is a place for unity not division, and the players, coaches, and owners should check their politics at the door.   

The NFL should be a place that brings all Americans together despite their race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation.  If you're wearing Bills gear on Sunday then you are my brother or sister.  We're family.  Now that is being taken away and it's a damn shame.  The NFL is going to suffer for this unnecessary and divisive embrace of politics and many long time fans will start to slowly drift away.  Our country will lose another institution that brought us all together and we will all be worse off for it.

The social issues and pandemic has been a pain on NFLR.  The only show that avoids all that stuff is the MTC guys.  They are very good unless it’s one of the doctors they interview like Chow or one of the league docs, and even then their questions are more about how to get to play during the pandemic.  I’d love it if they just stuck to football, players, and so on.  We are inundated on the pandemic and social issues in every other venue, so a distraction would be appreciated.

I wouldn’t do fantasy this year, but it’s you’re guys $.

15 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

The politics don't bother you when you watch the Bills, just the rest of the league? Does anyone think about all the crap going on in the world when watching a game?

@Inigo Montoya, @BillsRdue, and @machine gun kelly — how, precisely, is the NFL “too political” such that it has impacted your ability to watch a football game?  Sorry, I don’t get it.  It seems to me a lot of you want to run around like ostriches with your heads in the sand.

I’m pretty sure players aren’t going to stop in the middle of a game to make political statements.  If you’re still on the “I don’t like kneeling” bandwagon go get yourself a beer before the game starts.

This whining over “just play football” is pretty ridiculous, and it also serves to further the notion that professional athletes’ opinions on issues are not important.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Justin C said:

We added an extra I/R spot strictly for a player out because of COVID. We also allowed are traditional I/R spot to be used for a player on COVID as well. 

I'm more looking forward to going to place bets at the Sports Book downtown on weekly games.

Just one? I would probably add 3 I/R spots and even that might not be enough when you add in that there will most likely be more injuries this year due to player not being in game shape. Total ***** show.

28 minutes ago, eball said:

@Inigo Montoya, @BillsRdue, and @machine gun kelly — how, precisely, is the NFL “too political” such that it has impacted your ability to watch a football game?  Sorry, I don’t get it.  It seems to me a lot of you want to run around like ostriches with your heads in the sand.

I’m pretty sure players aren’t going to stop in the middle of a game to make political statements.  If you’re still on the “I don’t like kneeling” bandwagon go get yourself a beer before the game starts.

This whining over “just play football” is pretty ridiculous, and it also serves to further the notion that professional athletes’ opinions on issues are not important.

Honestly, the opinions of these athletes on any issues are not important to me. Neither are any of the opinions from the Hollywood crowd, the music industry, the national media, or any other form of celebrity in this country. The only influence they have is the influence you allow and I have never given them that sway in my life. I've also taught my children the same, to follow your own convictions and not those projected onto you by others. 

As far as the FF leagues? I don't have any interest. My keeper league is still having the draft, which is always fun, but with all of the uncertainty around everything it makes it hard to get amped up about it like I normally would. I've seen an inning of baseball, a few highlights from basketball games, and it's just meh all the way around. I'd imagine I will feel the same way about the NFL when they start up as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

eball, what are you talking about as it pertains to me?  I never, I mean never said I’m not watching football.  I said I’m sick of all the other dialogue when I just want to watch and listen to ball.  My point was simply, let’s stick to ball.  I never said a word about kneeling, not watching football, or anything else.

Either ask to understand or get your facts straight.  You’re normally a really good poster and like reading you’re posts.  Don’t lump me into the above mentioned topics.  To make it crystal clear, I’ve heard enough on a football board the social issues, and pandemic posts.  Now I am interested in you’re opinions on the Bills, the AFCE, and the NFL as you’re a sharp guy.  I just don’t want on this board to hear anymore about things that have nothing to do with the game.

I hope that clarifies it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

eball, what are you talking about as it pertains to me?  I never, I mean never said I’m not watching football.  I said I’m sick of all the other dialogue when I just want to watch and listen to ball.  My point was simply, let’s stick to ball.  I never said a word about kneeling, not watching football, or anything else.

Either ask to understand or get your facts straight.  You’re normally a really good poster and like reading you’re posts.  Don’t lump me into the above mentioned topics.  To make it crystal clear, I’ve heard enough on a football board the social issues, and pandemic posts.  Now I am interested in you’re opinions on the Bills, the AFCE, and the NFL as you’re a sharp guy.  I just don’t want on this board to hear anymore about things that have nothing to do with the game.

I hope that clarifies it.

Sorry man, it sounded to me like you were agreeing with the other two about politics being "too much to take" in football.  As for this board, there are lots of threads simply talking about players and the sport so I think it's pretty easy to avoid the political stuff if you want to.  Cheers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Can a mod please go through and delete all the political bs in this thread? I get having an opinion on it and certainly have one myself but find a different thread to discuss it, I made this one to get ideas on what to do for fantasy leagues this year.

1 minute ago, Process said:

Can a mod please go through and delete all the political bs in this thread? I get having an opinion on it and certainly have one myself but find a different thread to discuss it, I made this one to get ideas on what to do for fantasy leagues this year.

Not sure what you can do but just have your draft and go from there. Ours is a money league but will hold off collecting any until probably late in the season, if at all. We do auction draft and it's a lot of fun so looking forward to that. Then we'll hope there are games

9 minutes ago, Process said:

I'm thinking about limiting my league to 10 owners and expanding the rosters.

Have any of the online leagues incorporated any adjustments into their setup/lineups? For example a covid IR list so you can move a guy there to open a roster spot when needed. 

Problem with expanding the rosters is you draft to fill those spots and then there are no FAs out there when injuries, bye weeks and now outbreaks collide.