Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

3 hours ago, Iverwig said:

I understand that and that was the point I was trying to make with the analogy. Regardless, I have seen Fromm throw multiple times in a game and he is no where near some of the other QB’s on that list come game day. I could be wrong but he appeared to be over thinking things which would affect his passing. 

This is what I encourage most of the posters here do. Anyone thinking Fromm is someone who is going to come in and unseat Allen or think he’s a long term NFL starter must not be looking at the same game tape. 

Go backand watch more tape....here Ill help. 

This dude has thrown more passes against top tier defenses than any other Qb in the draft....but yea... Weak arm, too slow, not athletic...sure....all I do is throw Tds though. 

And win.... 

Edited by TwistofFate

1 minute ago, BigBillsFan said:

Just like Tim Tebow?

Not even in the same category. 

Fromm is a victim of Covid19.

Had a questionable showing at the combine and never had a chance to recover.   No pro day, no private workouts. Had he had those opportunities he most likely goes in the 2nd to 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Living here in the Garden State I got to see a lot of Chad Pennington, who was actually a first round draft choice (Ok, by the Jets, but still ...).  He had very limited athletic ability, an unimpressive arm, and maybe college stats inflated by playing with Randy Moss -- a big advantage in comparing him to Fromm.  But Pennington really knew how to play the game of football and the position of quarterback and he made his team win because he was so good from the neck up.  I keep thinking -- hoping? -- that's Fromm's story.

Pennington was insanely accurate back then though. Fromm's accuracy is nothing special; better than his velocity for sure, but he's far more likely to be a game manager if he ever turns into a starter than the stud that Pennington looked like he might be before the injuries really took their toll on him. He's not a special passer but he could be good enough mentally to survive as a below-average starter or solid backup.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Not even in the same category. 

Fromm is a victim of Covid19.

Had a questionable showing at the combine and never had a chance to recover.   No pro day, no private workouts. Had he had those opportunities he most likely goes in the 2nd to 3rd. 

OMG; that is an absolutely pathetic excuse.   

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

Yeah, actually... It isnt. 

Yeah it is.  Fromm had people like you telling him he's projected 2nd or 3rd round prospect and let it ride.  If he and his team felt his combine hurt is draft stock, he would have done anything from skype videos or whatever to counter his post-combine narrative.  Blaming COVID is simply ridiculous.  Didn't seem to hurt Tua (who is an injury risk), Herbert, Love (who played in the dreadful Mountain West), or Eason.  Only affected Fromm - right!

On 4/26/2020 at 3:10 PM, TwistofFate said:

Im happy about the Fromm pick for multiple reasons. 

First and foremost is the value.  This was a stellar pick in that round. 

Second is youth that can be further developed on what is already a great baseline. 

Third, if Allen faulters in anyway be it injury or performance, there is a hungry, capable guy in the pipeline...which is NEVER BAD.  

Die hard Allen fans feel threatened by this pick, so of course to them he's some trashy 5th rounder who will never make it.  The funny thing is they couldn't be more wrong and are blinded by ignorance. 

Fromm was a great pick and time will tell how great it could be. 

The QB position is, by far, the weakest link on the team. TE is second. We need Fromm's football I.Q. with Josh's physical ability. Unfortunately, science has not come this far so we have a wild stallion at QB with the football I.Q. of a 12 year old starting,  and a great football mind that doesn't appear to have the arm talent (probably) to be a starter backing him up.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Yeah it is.  Fromm had people like you telling him he's projected 2nd or 3rd round prospect and let it ride.  If he and his team felt his combine hurt is draft stock, he would have done anything from skype videos or whatever to counter his post-combine narrative.  Blaming COVID is simply ridiculous.  Didn't seem to hurt Tua (who is an injury risk), Herbert, Love (who played in the dreadful Mountain West), or Eason.  Only affected Fromm - right!

He did his own "self-made pro day" on April 5th in an attempt to improve his stock. (And it did "only affect Fromm" in the sense that his performance was uniformly judged to have been poor at the Combine. How could it not?) I am not one of those making claims for From because I think Allen is bad at qb. On the contrary, I think Allen is going to be a franchise qb. I also think Fromm is better than a clone of noodle arm Peterman. I'm an UGA fan and watch their games. He was really hurt by loss of top playmakers last year. I do believe he will be at worst a competent backup and has some potential to surprise.

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

You can improve your arm strength a lot easier than you can improve Field vision, situational awareness, film study and timing. 

Fromm is a gamer and his whole life is football. Fromm definitely has some work to do but I could easily see him being the best QB from this draft in a few years.

He has some seriously tiny hands also which will make it harder to throw and explains why his combine throwing sessions was abysmal.

This kid will throw ducks like no other if he plays in NewEra

• Like (+1) 1

I'm on like game 10 of all his throws on youtube from this year.

Some thoughts:

His WR dropped some really catchable passes. 

There were times when he was smarter than his WR and it resulted in an incomplete pass.

I don't see a huge arm strength issue.

The major problem I see is inaccuracy.  Too many times he is missing badly (Not a problem from the WR or RB).  Like way worse than I have seen from Allen over the last two years.  He threw a lot of short stuff last year.  If he threw passes like Allen does, his completion % would probably be below 50%.  A lot of times his footwork is horrendous. 

I think he can have potential to be good, but with a lot work.  His ball placement is pretty good, it's just not there enough.

Will this team waste a roster spot on a 3rd string QB?  He just is not better than Barkley this coming year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BeastMaster said:

He has some seriously tiny hands also which will make it harder to throw and explains why his combine throwing sessions was abysmal.

This kid will throw ducks like no other if he plays in NewEra

9 inch hands is like the universal number that is thrown around for QB hand size. Fromm is 8  7/8, I really don’t see the issue. 

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm on like game 10 of all his throws on youtube from this year.

Some thoughts:

His WR dropped some really catchable passes. 

There were times when he was smarter than his WR and it resulted in an incomplete pass.

I don't see a huge arm strength issue.

The major problem I see is inaccuracy.  Too many times he is missing badly (Not a problem from the WR or RB).  Like way worse than I have seen from Allen over the last two years.  He threw a lot of short stuff last year.  If he threw passes like Allen does, his completion % would probably be below 50%.  A lot of times his footwork is horrendous. 

I think he can have potential to be good, but with a lot work.  His ball placement is pretty good, it's just not there enough.

Will this team waste a roster spot on a 3rd string QB?  He just is not better than Barkley this coming year.

Good assessment of the situation IMO.

I think Mcbeane wants to develop this guy and see where it goes so by the end of the season Buffalo might have another option at backup.

Here's the thing, depending on what happens and how well Barkey plays again this preseason,  I think its very possible another team might have an interest in Matt Barkely.

I don't want to give BB and the Pats any idea's,

but hey,

I'm just saying... 

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Go backand watch more tape....here Ill help. 

This dude has thrown more passes against top tier defenses than any other Qb in the draft....but yea... Weak arm, too slow, not athletic...sure....all I do is throw Tds though. 

And win.... 

How about watching a whole game and not a highlight video and then come back and comment. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

He did his own "self-made pro day" on April 5th in an attempt to improve his stock. (And it did "only affect Fromm" in the sense that his performance was uniformly judged to have been poor at the Combine. How could it not?) I am not one of those making claims for From because I think Allen is bad at qb. On the contrary, I think Allen is going to be a franchise qb. I also think Fromm is better than a clone of noodle arm Peterman. I'm an UGA fan and watch their games. He was really hurt by loss of top playmakers last year. I do believe he will be at worst a competent backup and has some potential to surprise.

Sorry, I don't buy how COVID is to blame for dropping in the NFL draft.   This is a general statement regardless of who the player is.  The only COVID rationale I would support would be if the player got sick from COVID.  That said, I have high hopes that Fromm can be our back-up QB for the long term and step-in without a beat when needed.  

The other thing I would add, and that is how many teams outside of the first round were QB hungry in rounds 2, 3, and 4.  If more teams needed QBs, surely Fromm may have went in those earlier rounds.  Maybe NE I guess, I would surmise many of those teams weren't in the market for a QB.  Buffalo certainly wasn't according to Beane, but at the 5th round, he was too good to pass up.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2020 at 3:08 PM, YoloinOhio said:

He’ll Actually be working at State Farm in 2 years 

I don't think I need to read 40 pages of this thread--those are my thoughts as well.

I haven't followed Fromm's career but after watching the Georgia-Auburn game and the Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor, my take on him is:

• He hands off well 
  • He gets his team lined up quickly
  • D'Andre Swift is going to be a star
  • Nathan Peterman would feel pretty confident in a head to head shootout

Man, what a poor arm, even by Matt Barkley standards.   I can't see this kid ever being more than a clipboard holder / player coach.   Now, that's an important role, but holy cow, if he ever has to take the field in a competitive game I think we're all going to throw up in our mouths a bit...

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

When you have a bad performance at the combine, yea, matters. 

"My money is on Fromm emerging as a true threat to be the number one overall pick in 2020."

https://nflmocks.com/2019/07/01/jake-fromm-early-2020-nfl-draft-scouting-notes-thoughts/

"Don't be that general manager. Be smarter than forcing it by falling in love with a tools-only quarterback. Instead, make that scouting trip to Athens, Georgia, this summer to watch tape on the most pro-ready NFL quarterback prospect in the 2020 draft class."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844075-jake-fromm-is-the-perfect-qb-prospect-for-win-now-nfl-teams

Bottom Line

Fromm doesn’t have the highest ceiling in this class, but he is a pro-ready quarterback who does all of the little things well and can march an offense down the field. He is an accurate, intelligent and mechanically sound thrower who can effective march an offense down the field.

Projection: Round 2

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/11/10/2020-nfl-draft-jake-from-scouting-report-georgia/

"Scouts loved Fromm coming into his Junior campaign and those who really know football are going to see that some of the shortcomings weren’t completely Fromm’s fault (think Missouri & Auburn, not A&M or LSU)."

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/fromm-draft-stock-worth-pursuing

Accuracy – Fromm is lethal when throwing to just about any location on the football field. He can be seen on tape working to throw open his targets against some of the best defenses in the country. When he does miss, it is typically an overthrow on a deep pass or on a rushed delivery. 

"Fromm should be one of the top quarterbacks selected."

https://www.sportsmediapass.com/2019/11/13/2020-nfl-draft-scouting-report-georgias-jake-fromm/

"This past week, ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. said he expects Fromm to be a first round pick, albeit probably not the No. 1 overall pick."

“My comp for him would be Drew Brees,” Kiper said. “Drew Brees’ arm got stronger once he got in the NFL with the Chargers and the Saints. Jake Fromm will probably go a little higher than that.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-jake-fromm-2020-nfl-draft

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranked Fromm as the fifth-best quarterback eligible for the 2020 draft, behind LSU's Joe Burrow, Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa, Oregon's Justin Herbert and Washington's Jacob Eason.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28447520/georgia-quarterback-jake-fromm-entering-nfl-draft

If you like I can keep going. 

Fromm lost a lot of talent he was used to playing with in his junior year including his Center and multiple Wrs. 

Not having the best combine, covid19 didnt allow him a pro day or private work outs with NFL clubs leading up to the draft. 

He slid because of it, and im glad, because we got a great kid and a hell of a team player. 

If Allen faulters this year, we have the goods in the pipeline and im ecstatic. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Not having the best combine, covid19 didnt allow him a pro day or private work outs with NFL clubs leading up to the draft. 

He slid because of it, and im glad, because we got a great kid and a hell of a team player. 

I don't share your pessimism regarding Allen. I think he's going to continue to improve and be very good. I do agree Fromm is better than folks think. You could also mention the change in OC his junior year. Fella (Coley) was a big drop off from Jim Chaney.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't share your pessimism regarding Allen. I think he's going to continue to improve and be very good. I do agree Fromm is better than folks think. You could also mention the change in OC his junior year. Fella (Coley) was a big drop off from Jim Chaney.

I hope Allen improves I don't to be in QB limbo for another couple years.

My biggest fear with Allen is his accuracy, and that he will never be able to bring that up to a franchise quarterback level.

They've given him everything this year and this is his year to prove it.

But now I feel very very confident that if he does falter we will not be in QB limbo and hopefully have a good answer to move to at least in the short-term.

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I hope Allen improves I don't to be in QB limbo for another couple years.

My biggest fear with Allen is his accuracy, and that he will never be able to bring that up to a franchise quarterback level.

They've given him everything this year and this is his year to prove it.

But now I feel very very confident that if he does falter we will not be in QB limbo and hopefully have a good answer to move to at least in the short-term.

Well, I am hoping Allen Fromm is the new Kelly Reich. We'll see. Expectations for Fromm are set low for much of the fan base. They're going to be surprised when they discover he actually has some talent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

When you have a bad performance at the combine, yea, matters. 

"My money is on Fromm emerging as a true threat to be the number one overall pick in 2020."

https://nflmocks.com/2019/07/01/jake-fromm-early-2020-nfl-draft-scouting-notes-thoughts/

"Don't be that general manager. Be smarter than forcing it by falling in love with a tools-only quarterback. Instead, make that scouting trip to Athens, Georgia, this summer to watch tape on the most pro-ready NFL quarterback prospect in the 2020 draft class."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844075-jake-fromm-is-the-perfect-qb-prospect-for-win-now-nfl-teams

Bottom Line

Fromm doesn’t have the highest ceiling in this class, but he is a pro-ready quarterback who does all of the little things well and can march an offense down the field. He is an accurate, intelligent and mechanically sound thrower who can effective march an offense down the field.

Projection: Round 2

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/11/10/2020-nfl-draft-jake-from-scouting-report-georgia/

"Scouts loved Fromm coming into his Junior campaign and those who really know football are going to see that some of the shortcomings weren’t completely Fromm’s fault (think Missouri & Auburn, not A&M or LSU)."

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/fromm-draft-stock-worth-pursuing

Accuracy – Fromm is lethal when throwing to just about any location on the football field. He can be seen on tape working to throw open his targets against some of the best defenses in the country. When he does miss, it is typically an overthrow on a deep pass or on a rushed delivery. 

"Fromm should be one of the top quarterbacks selected."

https://www.sportsmediapass.com/2019/11/13/2020-nfl-draft-scouting-report-georgias-jake-fromm/

"This past week, ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. said he expects Fromm to be a first round pick, albeit probably not the No. 1 overall pick."

“My comp for him would be Drew Brees,” Kiper said. “Drew Brees’ arm got stronger once he got in the NFL with the Chargers and the Saints. Jake Fromm will probably go a little higher than that.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-jake-fromm-2020-nfl-draft

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranked Fromm as the fifth-best quarterback eligible for the 2020 draft, behind LSU's Joe Burrow, Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa, Oregon's Justin Herbert and Washington's Jacob Eason.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28447520/georgia-quarterback-jake-fromm-entering-nfl-draft

If you like I can keep going. 

Fromm lost a lot of talent he was used to playing with in his junior year including his Center and multiple Wrs. 

Even after all that, you FAIL to convince me COVID Is nothing more than an excuse.  I don’t have any reason to doubt what so-called experts said about Fromm.  You went out on a limb and blamed COVID for his draft slide and I call that irrational excuse making.  Again, my point has nothing to do with Fromm, it has to do with you conjecturing COVID into the discussion which didn’t appear to affect any other prospect...just Fromm.  Like who really gives a crap where he went, he’s a Buffalo Bill now.  Would you much rather him be a Jet drafted in the 2nd round?   

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I have now changed my mind on Fromm, for two BIG reasons.   

Welcome to Buffalo, Jake...and family!

Good to see your, um, critical capacities are still working. Probably didn't show up in the scouting report.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Even after all that, you FAIL to convince me COVID Is nothing more than an excuse.  I don’t have any reason to doubt what so-called experts said about Fromm.  You went out on a limb and blamed COVID for his draft slide and I call that irrational excuse making.  Again, my point has nothing to do with Fromm, it has to do with you conjecturing COVID into the discussion which didn’t appear to affect any other prospect...just Fromm.  Like who really gives a crap where he went, he’s a Buffalo Bill now.  Would you much rather him be a Jet drafted in the 2nd round?   

It effected a lot of prospects.   Wtf are you talking about? 

Ive said many times im glad he's a Bill. 

Covid has shut down the entire nation, how ignorant can someone be to think it didn't effect the draft where it is imperative to travel to teams interested in you who want a closer look. 

4 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Covid has shut down the entire nation, how ignorant can someone be to think it didn't effect the draft where it is imperative to travel to teams interested in you who want a closer look. 

Everyone who had a poor showing at the Combine lacked an opportunity to redress that impression in some form of live performance. I think it may have benefitted the Bills. There's an article I read somewhere today arguing Epenesa, Moss, and Fromm all went a round later than likely had they had normal pro days and interviews.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Nope not buying it.  You have no proof other than conjecture.  You made a point of fact, that he was a victim of COVID without any quantitative or qualitative proof.  If you can provide that, I will gladly change my opinion.  

He is going to one of those guys who isn’t very good, will have one good drive and some people will go crazy for him, will suck every time he plays after that, but will stick in the NFL for a long time because the coaches like him while they pray he never plays.

seems like a good dude and I liked him on QB1. But I see no upside for a college game manager who was the worst NFL talent of the 3 qbs Georgia had.

but it will be awesome when this thread gets pumped after he leads a td drive in the 4th quarter of a preseason game against the Lions Peterman or Tuel style.

If he starts shredding our defense in practice that is enough for me. He probably won’t play against a better defense all season. 

You just never know with QB’s, you can only hope that they develop and are productive. Only time will tell with the QB position but I do hope he shreds our defense in 11 on 11’s 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If he starts shredding our defense in practice that is enough for me. He probably won’t play against a better defense all season. 

You just never know with QB’s, you can only hope that they develop and are productive. Only time will tell with the QB position but I do hope he shreds our defense in 11 on 11’s 

Peterman looked awesome in practice and preseason, but when the lights came on and he played defenses that had spent the week game planning against him he fizzled. Covered the area inside the 20s and made him throw to the outside part of the field. I think they're similar QBs, smart, great intangibles, but don't possess an NFL quality arm. They even were drafted in the same round only 4 picks apart from each other(167 vs 171). Time will tell, but hopefully we found a great backup for the next decade or so.

21 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Peterman looked awesome in practice and preseason, but when the lights came on and he played defenses that had spent the week game planning against him he fizzled. Covered the area inside the 20s and made him throw to the outside part of the field. I think they're similar QBs, smart, great intangibles, but don't possess an NFL quality arm. They even were drafted in the same round only 4 picks apart from each other(167 vs 171). Time will tell, but hopefully we found a great backup for the next decade or so.

Fromm is way better than Peterman.  Peterman in the SEC wouldn't even start.

Fromm processes information at a ridiculous rate.  Peterman was literally throwing the ball into the CB or Safety hands.

Fromm reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He knows where to put the ball, but sometimes you are scratching your head with the accuracy on the throw.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I believe anything is possible when u draft a QB. Brady and Brees both had arm strength on the low side of the arm strength meter. Fromm won a lot at the college level and understands the game of football forward and back. They let Fromm call audibles at the LOS and trusted him 100%. One thing is for sure, Fromm will grind it out in the film room and improve every day. The IT factor to me is the passion a player has to succeed and play a game that they love and Fromm definitely has that through the roof. I really don’t think his arm strength or hand size will be a deterrent and it will be something that he improves on just like Brady and Brees did. Only time will tell but I would draft QB’s like Fromm until I hit gold. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Fromm is way better than Peterman.  Peterman in the SEC wouldn't even start.

Fromm processes information at a ridiculous rate.  Peterman was literally throwing the ball into the CB or Safety hands.

Fromm reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He knows where to put the ball, but sometimes you are scratching your head with the accuracy on the throw.

Yeah, they're not comparable because of level of competition.  Where Fromm ends up remains to be seen.  I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand.

• Like (+1) 1