Are Reporters Sharing Fake Draft News as a Smokescreen For Teams?

I listed to an interview with Joe Marino who works at the Draft Network - which is pretty small time compared to national outlets.  He claimed that he’s been approached by teams/agents to report the wrong information as a smokescreen.

Do you believe this is happening at the National level?

Take this tweet from Ian Rapoport.  I believe that either Miami is trading up to take a QB (Tua or Herbert) or they are bluffing as a smokescreen so 1 of the 2 QB’s are left by the time they pick.  The majority of people who replied to the tweet do as well.

Does anyone honestly believe they are trading up for a tackle?   It seems unlikely and that Rapoport has been given fake news as strategy.  So then why would be report this...

The question is does Rapoport:

a.) believe this rumor to be true

b.) know this rumor is likely false but is reporting it anyway for attention/engagement

c.) know the rumor is likely false but reporting fake as a favor for an agent/team

d.) getting a kickback to report fake news 

Edited by Phil The Thrill

Yes they do. They don’t get a kickback per se but they do it as a favor and then the team will then give them info to report first down the line. Rap sheet has Beane in his pocket btw. You can tell from the Melvin Gordon stuff. He also has the Chargers. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So you think there is truth to this rumour?  Miami is trading up for a tackle?  Not a QB?

The Dolphins with multiple picks might in the 1st just be waiting to see which QB falls to them with a later pick especially since picks after the top 10 get a lesser contract in their 5th year option it might be a wiser cap move taking a QB later than sooner. 

This is such a bad smokescreen by Miami that if I’m Detroit I smell the desperation and I’m asking for more trade comp.  Now Washington wants in on the shakedown.  Problem with Miami is they have so much draft capital and the Herbert stuff is nonsense.  It’s like walking into a Used Car dealership with hundred dollar bills falling out of your pockets.  

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So you think there is truth to this rumour?  Miami is trading up for a tackle?  Not a QB?

I think there is no truth to reporters getting paid or whatever to set up smokescreens for certain teams.  And I am sick and tired of people using the”fake news” nonsense.  Just because a reporter writes something you don’t like doesn’t make it fake.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think there is no truth to reporters getting paid or whatever to set up smokescreens for certain teams.  And I am sick and tired of people using the”fake news” nonsense.  Just because a reporter writes something you don’t like doesn’t make it fake.

Well you better get used to being sick and tired because that “report” from Rapoport is totally crap and everybody knows it.

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes they do. They don’t get a kickback per se but they do it as a favor and then the team will then give them info to report first down the line. Rap sheet has Beane in his pocket btw. You can tell from the Melvin Gordon stuff. He also has the Chargers. 

didn’t Beane call out Rapaport for bad reporting during the AB drama? subsequently Rap was proved correct.

41 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So Miami is going to trade up to 3 to take a tackle when only one other team in front of them is tackle needy?  100% bs garbage.

A.  They dont need to move up to take a tackle

B. If they take a tackle before they take a QB, they werent sold enough on the QB to be taking him in the 1st round anyways. 

Best advice.  Dont believe a thing until after the draft is over.

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So you are saying he floated the rumour Bills were in in Gordon when they weren’t?

Any and all statements emanating from all thirty two franchises during the pre draft period are suspect as to their veracity, or in other words, all the teams are lying their azsez off.  The reporters report knowing full well a lot of it is purposeful misinformation,  Just sayin...

Edited by Don Otreply

22 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So Miami is going to trade up to 3 to take a tackle when only one other team in front of them is tackle needy?  100% bs garbage.

A.  They dont need to move up to take a tackle

B. If they take a tackle before they take a QB, they werent sold enough on the QB to be taking him in the 1st round anyways. 

Best advice.  Dont believe a thing until after the draft is over.

Exactly.  As fans we can see this.  But a journalist like Rapoport who is “connected” reports this as legit news.  WTF?

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

No, seriously. It’s legit! Phil saw it!

2B6BEE94-E743-4FF4-B692-41EECA077B47.jpeg

I don’t get your humor, but I assume that this is an insult? 

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I've been told -- from arguably the most well known reporter in sports, personally -- that this happens all the time. 100%.

So are they reporting it as a favor?  Or because they are given a kickback?  Or both?

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So are they reporting it as a favor?  Or because they are given a kickback?  Or both?

Don't know about kickback, that seems like it's skirting the edges of ethics probably a little too much. But certainly favors, yes, absolutely. 

Especially with our current social media attention span, nobody will remember the 20 times they got something "wrong" if they're the first to get something major right. 

EDIT: I'll also add that this is something that EVERY franchise knows, participates in, and anticipates. Just the nature of the beast. I haven't read the thread but trust me when I say that no team is taking everything being reported -- either publicly or privately -- as gospel truth, and, other than in extremely unlikely circumstances, ever holds any grudges or beefs with this sort of thing. It's just become how the industry works. 

Edited by glazeduck

11 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Don't know about kickback, that seems like it's skirting the edges of ethics probably a little too much. But certainly favors, yes, absolutely. 

Especially with our current social media attention span, nobody will remember the 20 times they got something "wrong" if they're the first to get something major right. 

EDIT: I'll also add that this is something that EVERY franchise knows, participates in, and anticipates. Just the nature of the beast. I haven't read the thread but trust me when I say that no team is taking everything being reported -- either publicly or privately -- as gospel truth, and, other than in extremely unlikely circumstances, ever holds any grudges or beefs with this sort of thing. It's just become how the industry works. 

When you think of the rumors from last year about the Bills trading up to draft Quinnen Williams, it makes you wonder whether those came from Buffalo to scare NYJ away from taking Ed Oliver.

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

When you think of the rumors from last year about the Bills trading up to draft Quinnen Williams, it makes you wonder whether those came from Buffalo to scare NYJ away from taking Ed Oliver.

Considering the fact that the rumors were that we were talking WITH the Jets, I'm not sure that logic flies, but weird stuff happens around now. I think the truth is much closer to us genuinely checking in on what it would cost to make that move, but then I also think Williams is the vastly superior prospect...

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Close. It was more the Bills not wanting to be jumped by a team who loved Ed. It’s what the Dolphins want too. They don’t want competition for the trade up for a QB, so they say they are taking a tackle.

Edited by FireChans

23 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Ghost pirate?

What is this supposed to mean?

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Considering the fact that the rumors were that we were talking WITH the Jets, I'm not sure that logic flies, but weird stuff happens around now. I think the truth is much closer to us genuinely checking in on what it would cost to make that move, but then I also think Williams is the vastly superior prospect...

Oddly enough, it didn’t look like Williams was superior on the field.  But maybe that was the injury he suffered