How would you guys have felt if we had took Rosen instead of Allen

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

He was in consideration to be a Bill when he was ranked on their board. 

Sorry dude. No one is making you make wrong statements about Rosen, feel free to Alt-F4.

Lol.  Agree to disagree.  There is no reality to him almost becoming a Bill.  

8 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

Well per the photo of the whiteboard, he was on the board, but it looks like he wasn't in the first round.  They were willing to trade up to Den at #5 (for #12, 22 & 53) to get

1> Allen

2> Darnald

3> Mayfield

But Rosen was their first runner-up at #4 but not on a tradup to #5.  Which of course didn't happen since Denver got their player to fall to them and we had to trade at 7.

LAMAR JACKSON was the one not on their board as we had just gotten rid of Tyrod Taylor.

#4 Rosen

#5 Okl. St. Lamotta?

#6 Richmond 

Where does one find/see this picture? (Im not doubting you, just wondering ? )

NEVERMIND, I SHOULD READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ASKING THINGS! 

Edited by letsgoteam
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Was wondering what your guys reaction would’ve been if we had taken Rosen instead of Allen. I love Allen and was very happy that we took him, never liked Rosen in college  as he reminded me too much of Cutler and Jeff George without the rocket arm. I think personally it would’ve set us back if we’d made that move. Thoughts??

To answer your Thread question: Bad.

I had Allen #1 and Rosen #2.  Rosen still may prove to be a decent QB but it looks less and less likely.  

Neither Allen nor Rosen would have done anything in 2018 behind that terrible mess of an o-line.

If by the end of 2019,  Rosen had not been the well established starter, then both Beane and McD lose their jobs.  Beane traded away a serviceable LT, and two first round picks to move up and draft a QB.  If they miss on that QB then they have to go.  You can not risk them missing on another QB. 

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I had Allen #1 and Rosen #2.  Rosen still may prove to be a decent QB but it looks less and less likely.  

Neither Allen nor Rosen would have done anything in 2018 behind that terrible mess of an o-line.

If by the end of 2019,  Rosen had not been the well established starter, then both Beane and McD lose their jobs.  Beane traded away a serviceable LT, and two first round picks to move up and draft a QB.  If they miss on that QB then they have to go.  You can not risk them missing on another QB. 

Cordy Glenn a “serviceable” LT??? Dude was playing with no kidneys, was on dialysis at halftime and barely played half a season for the Bengals. 

13 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

I think the Bills brass got this mostly right.  Not having Lamar Jackson on the board at all due to his play style seems odd.  But from their point of view, they probably felt good about Daboll's offense.

They had just traded Tyrod. They may have felt they wanted a more traditional offense. And LJ only works in Baltimore because they built that offense for him. He wouldn't be as successful in a traditional offense (at least not yet)

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You are insanely overvaluing Allen then.  This is the problem with evaluating qbs.  Very few young qbs can go into a situation and just elevate the team by themselves.  We have had a top 3 defense both years Allen has been here.  A lot of qbs would have been solid here.  

Rosen may suck but it’s insane to say so after the situations he was forced in.  Allen would look a lot different if he got drafted by Arizona.  Our situation isn’t perfect but we have a team carried by a really good defense where a qb doesn’t have to score a lot of points to win games.  It’s a good situation for a young qb to grow in.

I don't believe I'm overvaluing a QB that loves the game and will work his ass off to achieve his goals.

Rosen on the other hand, IMO, thinks he's great as is and likely won't put in the effort to reach stardom.

In 5 years I see Allen as a solid NFL QB, Rosen I can see playing professional tennis in 5 years.

11 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

If Allen or Darnold were drafted by the Giants or Broncos, Rosen would have been a Bill.

The rumor I remember seeing is that the Bills would have traded down and drafted Mason Rudolph. I don't think Rosen was ever a possibility.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The rumor I remember seeing is that the Bills would have traded down and drafted Mason Rudolph. I don't think Rosen was ever a possibility.

Well then we’re cheating, because we’re using the leaked board to say Rosen wasn’t going to be the pick at #5 if we traded up, but then also ignoring the leaked board for this rumor.

8 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Well then we’re cheating, because we’re using the leaked board to say Rosen wasn’t going to be the pick at #5 if we traded up, but then also ignoring the leaked board for this rumor.

I don't know what leaked board you mean. I remember 2 trustworthy posters on here saying the Bills would have preferred to trade down for Rudolph rather than stay put and take Rosen. That's what I'm going off of. Also Rosen doesn't seem to fit any of the qualities this regime looks for. He isn't very athletic and there are questions about his football character.

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know what leaked board you mean. I remember 2 trustworthy posters on here saying the Bills would have preferred to trade down for Rudolph rather than stay put and take Rosen. That's what I'm going off of. Also Rosen doesn't seem to fit any of the qualities this regime looks for. He isn't very athletic and there are questions about his football character.

The Rudolph thing doesn’t make me feel any better.  He has been terrible in a good situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Rudolph thing doesn’t make me feel any better.  He has been terrible in a good situation. 

I mean, we're talking about a scenario where Mayfield, Darnold, and Allen all go before our pick. In that scenario there are no good options. Trading down would have been the right move.

Rosen could have been good 15 years ago. These days you can't win being a statue in the pocket. The most exciting QBs right now are elite athletes. And I'm not saying you have to be Lamar Jackson. But you can't be Matt Ryan either. Ryan is actually a perfect example of what I mean. Everyone says he would be great if only he had a good offensive line. Cousins is another example. The problem is no one has a good offensive line. It's unsustainable in the modern NFL and pass rushes are way ahead of the curve. So either you're athletic enough to deal with it or your ceiling will be tied to your pass protection. The whole concept of what QBs are asked to do is changing before our eyes and Rosen doesn't fit in.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There was a photo of a whiteboard allegedly in a Bills FO conference room that was circulated on social media.

A number of us pointed out reasons to regard it as of questionable legitimacy.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Close, but with the benefit of seeing the 1st round after the draft, the odds are the Bills would have taken Edmunds at 12 and either drafted Rudolph in the 1st or 2nd round with their own pick.  

On 2/24/2020 at 12:30 PM, BringBackFergy said:

What if we took Jackson over Rosen? Same response?

No. Jackson showed the league what he is about. Darnold on the other had has had glimpses while Rosen is a bust as the day is long. 

I spent so much time watching all the QB’s from that draft. In the final few weeks I only wanted Allen or Mayfield. Allen was the QB that needed polishing but you knew he had the work ethic to improve his game. If he keeps improving at the rate that he is he will be a top 5 QB in the NFL.

Rosen was destined to be a wasted pick. Allen may or may not turn out to be a FQB, but either way, he's not a wasted pick. He's got a shot to develop. So I would have felt bad. I never believed that Rosen was going to make it. Rosen/Mayfield were the two I believed would be tire fires.