whatdrought

One "drought era" Bill on today's roster?

2 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Brian Moorman

That was the first name I thought of as well.

A hell of a good punter and we have a fairly mediocre one now.

• Like (+1) 1

I wanna say Peerless Price.  I really liked him when we had him, but I know that he played in our last playoff game before the drought started.  Dare I say Drew Bledsoe...lol.  I'm gonna have to go with London Fletcher

Mario. I think he’d have stayed motivated longer on this team.

Avion Black

ok seriously, I would have to say Spikes

For the O: Lee Evans. For the D : A Schobel. 

If, this off season, we add two players of about the same quality as the above mentioned, the improvement to the Bills would be greater than the sum of those two players. 

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I've seen threads like this before, but not sure one has popped up this offseason. 

If you could bring one drought era Buffalo Bill (someone who never played in the playoffs with the Bills) in their prime, and drop them on this roster, who would it be? 

**Edit: For the sake of argument, let's say that "prime" means the high point of their career with the Bills. So for instance, whatever Gilmores best year was when wearing the red white and blue, not last year. 

This is what got me started down this rabbit hole: 

Freddy seems like an obvious choice, but Mario might be my pick. 

Well.... What about Aaron Schobel?  14 sacks like his best year would sure look good at DE right now.

• Like (+1) 2

Some good names in this thread.  

Another name that doesn't quite meet the criteria is Kyle Williams.  

I'd have to say that if the Bills had Fred Jackson in 2019, they might have won the division and they would have beaten Houston in the wildcard game.  Fred and Kyle were about the two best locker room guys the Bills ever had.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Was he a better zone or man corner? I have no idea what we primarily ran when he was here, though I'm sure we switched regularly. 

Good question.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well.... What about Aaron Schobel?  14 sacks like his best year would sure look good at DE right now.

He was mentioned a couple of times earlier on in this thread.  I wish Schobel could come back, it would solve a big hole in the d-line.

41 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Eric Moulds in his prime

Not eligible--he played in playoff games in 1996, 1998 and 1999...

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Some good names in this thread.  

Another name that doesn't quite meet the criteria is Kyle Williams.  

I'd have to say that if the Bills had Fred Jackson in 2019, they might have won the division and they would have beaten Houston in the wildcard game.  Fred and Kyle were about the two best locker room guys the Bills ever had.  

Yep. Kyle is just outside the criteria but would be a definite one for his leadership. I think Gore was brought in to be, in a lot of ways, what Freddy was always naturally- the calming presence in the huddle. Freddy in his prime helping Josh would be really good.

Yah good thing you didn't say non play off player from 2000 to 2017 that can be looked at 100 different ways, i think i would choose Mario .

The best offensive player from the drought years Jason Peters. The best fit that would help the current teams needs? I would say Lee Evans (although I think Moulds would be a better fit he was in the 98 and 99 playoffs.) On the defensive side of the ball I think the best drought of player was Pat Williams or Mario in 2014. I think the best fit for the drought Bills on the defensive side would be Gilmore opposite Tre. 

My first and obvious choice was Eric Moulds. The guy could have been a Hall of Fame WR on a better team. But I had no idea he went to so many playoff games. 3? Really? We as fans really need to reevaluate Wade Phillips as a Head coach. That late 90s Bills team felt like such a let down, but they were very competitive.

OK so WR is still a need and Stevie Johnson is worth looking at. Only Bill with 3x1000 yd seasons in a row. But that was with Fitzy. Johnson and Fitzy had a special chemistry. It was really fun to watch, but Steve never quite ran the routes he was supposed to, had a nasty wiggle people couldn't defend and Fitzy had the guts to throw anywhere. SJ would drive Daboll and JA nuts. Stevie Johnson and Brett Favre together? Magic. At least Stevie got Fitzpatrick.

Lee Evans. Hmm. Lee Evans. Two 1000 yd seasons on some very bad teams. Crazy fast, ok hands. 3 seasons over 50 catches. He is a deep threat, but I never considered him a complete WR.

Peerless Price. Looked great with Moulds across from him. Fell off a cliff without him. Eye troubles found afterward? Heck of an accomplishment then. I liked Peerless Price as a #2.

Not counting Eric Moulds, there is one complete WR that the drought era Buffalo Bills had that has speed, size, hands, can block like a mofo, and is a McDermott guy all the way. That WR is Robert Woods. If I can't add Eric Moulds, then I want Robert Woods, who btw could still contribute today. Back to back 1000 yd seasons. A process guy all the way. Helped Jared Goff look legitimate for heavens sakes. Got no where with the Bills and went back home to CA. We really overlook Robert Woods as fans, he is a terrific football player. At 27 he would be that gnarled vet WR that JA needs, but still has his best years ahead of him. 'Boo Boo foot, small people' Watkins stole some of his thunder, as did bad QB play but this guy does everything a WR is asked to do. Love me some Robert Woods in this offense.

On Defense there is no question. I'll take the 2nd best DE Buffalo has had since the merger in Aaron Schobel. This dude was the real deal and hung around in production with the likes of Jason Taylor for his career. Never got a scent of the playoffs, or the accolades with playing on higher profile teams, but was a beast. Drafted by the Bills, stayed with the Bills his whole career. Aaron Schobel in McDermott's defense is a 12-15 sack a year guy who could shut down an edge. He was a complete DE on some very suck Bills teams.

so there it is

Offense: Robert Woods

Defense: Aaron Schobel

Honorable Mention: Fred Jackson

Edited by RocCityRoller

The single greatest individual play made during the drought era was Terrence McGee's 300 yard KO return against New Orleans, which resulted in zero points. Perhaps a metaphor for those 17 years of futility.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Jason Peters

The correct answer 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Bruce Paup...

Does Nate Clements count? Because, if he does, then him.

I love that Schobel is getting a lot of mentions in this thread.  He should be the next one on the wall.

Give me Schobel and Bob Woods.

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Moulds would be the easy choice, but Im almost positive he made the playoffs.

Has a record for most yards

Edited by mikemac2001
  • Like (+1) 1