Better Owner - Terry Pegula (Sabres) or Ralph Wilson (Bills)?

Better Owner - Terry Pegula (Sabres) or Ralph Wilson?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better Buffalo owner

• Ralph Wilson (Bills)
    • Terry Pegula (Sabres)

This is really a bad poll. First because neither owner would want this, and second it’s unfair to Ralph Wilson. For all of his faults he loved the area, the area I grew up and watched my team.

I’m sure he was offered money to relocate and make more but he did it for us as well. He died as the owner because he loved football. That’s something worth cheering and cherishing.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not relevant to the question asked. 

Ralph did some good things, but screwed the pooch the majority of the time. It was under his management that the team acquired the bad reputation that the current  team is still trying to shed. 

I agree with you.  Ralph had three good years in the mid-sixties and the Kelly years.  There were a couple of other decent years sprinkled in but other than that he was a dumpster fire.  Current ownership is off to a good start but needs to put together a sustained level of performance to prove that recent improvements are not an aberration. 

When it comes to the Sabres, Pegula is very Ralph like.  It has been pathetic.

Edited by Florida Bills Fanatic

The Pegulas have their issues, but it isn't from lack of trying... Ralph was just unwilling to spend at various times in the teams history....his miserly ways pretty much ended the "talking proud" era of Bills football with a whimper.... all in all I appreciate them both.  I do believe, at some point the Pegulas will get things right.  They just need to hire the right people.

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ralph was cheap. Terry spends money. He's just not hiring the right people. But it's not from a lack of trying.

Further to this, and Buffalo716’s remarks above, it sometimes seemed Ralph Wilson would overspend on a player, and then it often seemed the team would go on an austerity program in light of the previous extravagance.  It might not be factual, but based upon the media and disgruntled players, it certainly seemed what the area was hearing.

How many times have the Pegula owned Sabres made the playoffs?

Prior to their ownership the Sabres had made the playoffs 29 out of 40 years. Only missed 11 times in 40 years. This year would be 9 straight for the Pegulas...that is almost equal to the prior 40 years combined. How can they be doing a better job than any owner of any team, any sport. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ralph was cheap. Terry spends money. He's just not hiring the right people. But it's not from a lack of trying.

Ralph was so cheap he gave up....likely a billion plus dollars.... by choosing to keep the Bills in Buff....and grandfathering them staying in his Estate.

He could have moved the Bills at any time and nobody could have questioned it....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ralph was so cheap he made OJ Simpson the highest paid player in the 70s

Jimbo the highest paid in the 80s.

The early 90s Bills were called the million dollar bills because how much money Ralph threw around

In the 2000s he made Derrick Dockery the 3rd highest paid guard OF ALL TIME

He gave Mario 100 million 

He have Dareus 100 million

You have no clue about cheap and you should feel bad for bashing the SINGLE PERSON who kept us here for 50+ years

This is super deceiving - the three men you mentioned were paid through the salary cap.  Ralph HAD to spend that money and it was fully guaranteed and subsidized by the NFL TV’s contract.

Ralph WAS cheap when it came to coaches, GM’s and other front office hired.  His track record speaks for itself 

12 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This is super deceiving - the three men you mentioned were paid through the salary cap.  Ralph HAD to spend that money and it was fully guaranteed and subsidized by the NFL TV’s contract.

Ralph WAS cheap when it came to coaches, GM’s and other front office hired.  His track record speaks for itself 

The Bengals had 4-6 regional scouts in there front office for years. Still do

That's cheap 

He's a HoF owner yea his track record speaks for itself

2 AFL titles 4 AFC championships, HoF players and a legacy of the Bills

Not every team can win the SB yearly.. we struggled for 17 years because we didn't have a QB

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah, but if spending money = being a good owner then how do you rate Daniel Snyder? You've got to make the right moves too.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Ralph took the Bills to two AFL championships and four superbowl appearances, and he's a hall of fame owner. Until Pegula accomplishes something with the Sabres (or the Bills) how can we make claims that he's a better owner?

I think Pegula has the Bills on the right track. I have no idea about the Sabres.

This.  I can’t believe TPegs is winning this poll by a 2:1 ratio.