Jump to content
FluffHead

Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I doubt Beane will spend big bucks on the TE position.  This seems like the type of move that I anticipated.  Good mentor for Knox and Sweeney.

I thinks this is a courtesy visit.
They Krofty for mentorship. ..
They have Lee Smith for mentorship.

 aaand Washington is taking a look.
  Great player , but time to move on.
Bills should go for it if a shot at Hooped comes free.

 Henry is might nice as well
matter of fact? get Both.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

We should really sign him and then one of Hooper or Henry.  Sick match up problems for other teams to deal with, Henry Olsen and Knox.  Then look for the #1 reciever in the draft.  

 

I would LOVE this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is great news.  I think this guy still has gas in the tank and he would be a fantastic mentor to Sweeney & Knox and security blanket for Allen.  Here's to hoping!

 

Any reason you are leaning towards saying he does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

This board has a serious ***** for Hooper. NFL insiders don’t seem to have the same affinity for him, many seem to think he’s a product of the system. I don’t watch any Falcons games, and I’m wondering how many have here? Isn’t this the same guy who last week said he wants nothing to do with playing in Buffalo!

 

I’ll take Henry then.  Two legit no 1 TE’s in Henry and Knox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Also, with his past love affair with Cam, and the fact Josh gets most compared to Cam, it seems a good fit.

just not feeling any of this.
 he 35 and a TE. dude has been hit by trains

 the Old timey ones with cow catchers

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

 

I’ll take Henry then.  Two legit no 1 TE’s in Henry and Knox. 

i am listening. Put some one like him in the room with Knox and Allen ?
that's a good future state.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would cut Kroft whatever they do.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

just not feeling any of this.
 he 35 and a TE. dude has been hit by trains

 the Old timey ones with cow catchers

i am listening. Put some one like him in the room with Knox and Allen ?
that's a good future state.

 

 

I should be clear: After watching the Panthers on Amazon's All or Nothing and seeing what Olsen went through with injuries and where he seems to be in his career, I really want nothing to do with him.

 

However, I'd rather have Olsen as our #3 TE than Lee Smith, if and only if, we can get him for a good price as well (about the same as we're paying Smith).

 

I see it more as improving the bottom of our TE corp and bringing in another smart, experience player for Knox and Josh to work with.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FluffHead said:

Replace a young guy with a bad foot with an old guy with a bad foot 

 

There is that possibility, although Olsen did way more last year after healing up than Kroft did, even normalized for number of games.

So another way to look at it would be "replace a guy who managed 6.5 ypg and was given the opportunity to be the #3 or 4 receiving option but couldn't seize it, with a guy who managed 43 YPG as the #4 receiving option."

 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I should be clear: After watching the Panthers on Amazon's All or Nothing and seeing what Olsen went through with injuries and where he seems to be in his career, I really want nothing to do with him.

 

However, I'd rather have Olsen as our #3 TE than Lee Smith, if and only if, we can get him for a good price as well (about the same as we're paying Smith).

I see it more as improving the bottom of our TE corp and bringing in another smart, experience player for Knox and Josh to work with.

 

So question: I've read in a couple of places that Olsen is NOT regarded as a good blocker.  What do you know about his blocking chops?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Beane signs another oft-injured, overaged retread, my opinion of him will change.  Jesus Harold Christ, enough is enough.  Do better.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This would be a big waste of money if we bring him in for anything more than $3M/year.

 

edit: HOLY CRAP I just looked up Lee Smith's contract. Beane gave him 3yr/$9M with $4.4M in guarantees?!?! Thank the gods we can cut him this year with only $1M in dead money.

 

Cut Smith, give the money to Olsen. But dont expect much from Olsen either.

 

People keep saying cut Smith.  He's not the same TE as any of the other TE's.  He's there to block.  He's probably not going anywhere.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gugny said:

If Beane signs another oft-injured, overaged retread, my opinion of him will change.  Jesus Harold Christ, enough is enough.  Do better.

 

I would like to see Beane do better.  But if the idea is to replace Smith and Kroft with a veteran who actually made reasonable offensive contributions last year, it could be a net gain.  What I don't know is how well Olsen actually blocks - could he replace Smith?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

So question: I've read in a couple of places that Olsen is NOT regarded as a good blocker.  What do you know about his blocking chops?

 

Not much, and what you read is probably right. But as long as he doesnt jump Offside, or line up in an illegal formation, or take other penalties that vets shouldnt be taking, then we are already ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Not much, and what you read is probably right. But as long as he doesnt jump Offside, or line up in an illegal formation, or take other penalties that vets shouldnt be taking, then we are already ahead.

 

That's one side of the task.  The other is if we ask him to block a DE or an LB and he whiffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, purple haze said:

People keep saying cut Smith.  He's not the same TE as any of the other TE's.  He's there to block.  He's probably not going anywhere.

 

I understand that and still want him cut. His blocking skills do not outweigh his stupid penalty skills and lack-of-any-other-talent skills.

 

For a guy who made the roster for his blocking, I wasnt all that impressed with it.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gugny said:

If Beane signs another oft-injured, overaged retread, my opinion of him will change.  Jesus Harold Christ, enough is enough.  Do better.

It’s way more production from vet depth. One that hAppens to have outplayed the young guy he’ll be mentoring. I don’t see any real issue with this move. He had 600 yds in just 14 games with bad qb play and can you think of a better mentor for Knox? 
 

It doesn’t stop the team from doing anything else they wanna do. Where’s the downside here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Not if we ask him to block a DE or an LB and he whiffs.

 

Smith does that too. On top of the penalties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I would like to see Beane do better.  But if the idea is to replace Smith and Kroft with a veteran who actually made reasonable offensive contributions last year, it could be a net gain.  What I don't know is how well Olsen actually blocks - could he replace Smith?

 

I'd rather keep Smith, play Sweeney more and demand more of Knox.

 

Replacing Kroft with Olsen is like replacing a Gremlin with a Yugo.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I would like to see Beane do better.  But if the idea is to replace Smith and Kroft with a veteran who actually made reasonable offensive contributions last year, it could be a net gain.  What I don't know is how well Olsen actually blocks - could he replace Smith?

This is exactly it. I’ll take a vet that actually produces. 
 

where’s the downside to a move like this? I would assume It doesn’t change any of their plans for the offseason 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

I'd rather keep Smith, play Sweeney more and demand more of Knox.

 

Replacing Kroft with Olsen is like replacing a Gremlin with a Yugo.

 

Smith, Kroft, and Olsen are all pretty much garbage.

 

1 minute ago, Passepartout said:

Olsen needs to retire and go into the broadcasting booth. Just saying!

 

This is exactly how I felt until I read this news he's visiting. I still feel that way tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is exactly it. I’ll take a vet that actually produces. 
 

where’s the downside to a move like this? I would assume It doesn’t change any of their plans for the offseason 

 

We need better.  We need Kittle.  We need Kelce.  We need Gronk.  

 

Not a ***** relic in Olsen.  We need to demand better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Smith, Kroft, and Olsen are all pretty much garbage.

 

 

This is exactly how I felt until I read this news he's visiting. I still feel that way tho.

600 yds in 14 games with Kyle Allen, and will Grier is hardly garbage. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

 

We need better.  We need Kittle.  We need Kelce.  We need Gronk.  

 

Not a ***** relic in Olsen.  We need to demand better.

Right. So if they make this move i think it says they see big things coming from Knox. 
 

you are acting like Olsen would be signed as the answer at TE. I think we both know they wouldn’t go into it thinking that’s the case. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Smith, Kroft, and Olsen are all pretty much garbage.

 

 

This is exactly how I felt until I read this news he's visiting. I still feel that way tho.

 

Smith is the least of the garbage and if people are hellbent on having a veteran (I am not), then keep the better of Smith and Kroft instead of bringing in another player a year away (and too late) from retiring.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We need better.  We need Kittle.  We need Kelce.  We need Gronk. 

Not a ***** relic in Olsen.  We need to demand better.

 

Marvelous.  Gronk is retired and KC/SF aren't planning to make a deal for Kelce or Kittle.  So where is the source of this "Better" to be found?

I don't think we're going to be investing a draft pick in the first 4 rounds.

 

I would love Hooper, but he expressed that he would have to investigate the QB situation before he'd consider Buffalo and I took Beane's remarks as pretty much saying we weren't going to be going after the top FA.  Maybe I'm wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gugny said:

 

Smith is the least of the garbage and if people are hellbent on having a veteran (I am not), then keep the better of Smith and Kroft instead of bringing in another player a year away (and too late) from retiring.

 

Smith? You’ve got to be kidding me. better than Olsen? Good lord dude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...