Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

24 minutes ago, FluffHead said:

@AdamSchefter: Former Panthers’ TE Greg Olsen will visit the Bills and Redskins this week, per source. Buffalo’s GM Brandon Beane used to be with Carolinas, as did Washington’s HC Ron Rivera.

He can rap with Beasley?  :unsure:

https://deadspin.com/remember-when-greg-olsen-and-his-miami-teammates-made-a-1756868655

I guess I would have thought that Lee Smith would have the >32 year old TE market cornered for the Bills - Olsen will be 35

Greg Olsen in his day was a far better player...next season would be his 14th though.  2 concussions last year, foot injuries in 2016 & 2017

What do we know about his blocking?  Found an SI article that had this to say about whether the Seahawks should look at him:

"Olsen has also never been highly regarded as a run blocker, which always screams bad fit with the Seahawks. While their evaluations are far from fool proof, Pro Football Focus ranked him 115th out of 117 qualified tight ends in 2016 and he’s consistently earned poor run blocking grades. "

Mark me down as surprised.  Not that he would visit us and Washington, that’s obvious if he intends to play, but that he is seriously thinking about playing still.

I really felt he would retire and I honestly thought the Kobe tragedy was going to pretty much make it official given his statements he made about Kobe and how it all hit home for him.  Here is a link that shows some of what he said:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/sports/charlotte-athletes-community-reacts-to-kobe-bryants-death/275-8cedc8d9-f887-42ed-95a6-f02a0bb79411

He just struck me as someone who was already close to wanting to start that next chapter and that this was something that just furthered that.  

If he wants to play, I am all for signing him.  He’s still got value as a player and he would be an excellent mentor to our young guys.  And we should be a LOT more interesting to him than Washington if he wants a chance to compete before his days are up, plus we have the best training facilities in the league.  

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
replace google link with actual link

56 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I doubt Beane will spend big bucks on the TE position.  This seems like the type of move that I anticipated.  Good mentor for Knox and Sweeney.

I can see how he could be invaluable to Knox, especially. He could get to know him, build a little bond,  and eventually, when the time is right, pull him aside and tell him to “catch the damn ball and never, ever whiff on a block!”    :)

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The hopes on Sweeney are too high here.  He was a 7th rounder that flashed a little bit, he’s not someone to count on becoming a legitimate option. 

Also those wanting to sign Hooper are auctioning off a lot of money. 

Give me Olsen/Henry/Ebron on a short term deal and draft another TE somewhere between 3rd-5th round.  Olsen/Henry/Ebron give you the short term, cheap option to bridge the position while Knox and the future rookie continue to develop. 

And Kroft has to be gone. Simply didn’t produce enough on such a team friendly contract to be willing to keep him. 

You’re not getting 16 games from Olsen, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing given knoxs ability and possible growth. He’s going to be a second option possibly here. He’d be the guy in Washington though. I’m not against signing him if they’re going to use him in the pass game. They didn’t use Kroft or make him a part of the offense, no point signing a similar player (obviously a long track record of success) if they’re not going to use him. 
I do find it a little funny we have this many posters excited to sign Olsen and so many against AJ Green. Same kind of situation as both are injury prone, on their last contracts that wouldn’t be long ones or ridiculous money. If I’m drafting a rookie receiver I don’t think there’s many in the league I would pick to show them how it’s done over green. Same for Knox, you want someone to show him how a tight end practices and makes plays in the pass game not many I would pick over Olsen to show him the ropes. 

This would be a big waste of money if we bring him in for anything more than $3M/year.

edit: HOLY CRAP I just looked up Lee Smith's contract. Beane gave him 3yr/$9M with $4.4M in guarantees?!?! Thank the gods we can cut him this year with only $1M in dead money.

Cut Smith, give the money to Olsen. But dont expect much from Olsen either.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

You’re not getting 16 games from Olsen, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing given knoxs ability and possible growth. He’s going to be a second option possibly here. He’d be the guy in Washington though. I’m not against signing him if they’re going to use him in the pass game. They didn’t use Kroft or make him a part of the offense, no point signing a similar player (obviously a long track record of success) if they’re not going to use him. 
I do find it a little funny we have this many posters excited to sign Olsen and so many against AJ Green. Same kind of situation as both are injury prone, on their last contracts that wouldn’t be long ones or ridiculous money. If I’m drafting a rookie receiver I don’t think there’s many in the league I would pick to show them how it’s done over green. Same for Knox, you want someone to show him how a tight end practices and makes plays in the pass game not many I would pick over Olsen to show him the ropes. 

There will likely be a large difference in their salaries. Possibly by $10MM/yr. That likely sways people’s opinions. That and we paid Kroft to rehab most of the season. Most would love McB to sign Green at a relative value. 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

If I was him on the backside of my career, I'd personally choose buffalo. A playoff team on the rise vs a redskins team that could be 2 years away from competing 

Also, with his past love affair with Cam, and the fact Josh gets most compared to Cam, it seems a good fit.

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

There will likely be a large difference in their salaries. Possibly by $10MM/yr. That likely sways people’s opinions. That and we paid Kroft to rehab most of the season. Most would love McB to sign Green at a relative value. 

The money doesn’t totally matter as long as they can be clean of it after 1-2 years. 
And there’s a lot of “he’s always hurt” people. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

... Then look for the #1 reciever in the draft.  

Speaking of which, was just looking at highlights of Jauan Jennings who somebody's mock showed the Bills taking in the 3rd round. This is my first year actually devoting time to this aspect of the off-season so I don't know how he'll shake out. But his brief highlight video showed some good moves and receptions. 

• Like (+1) 1