First news of the offseason ATL not resigning Beasley (No surprise)

Reed83HOF

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It better not be to save money for Hooper.  

They need to make a lot of moves for that - I have heard Alex Mack, Freeman and others. They are really tight, but they can find ways to free up money and it will hurt the overall team to do it. Their GM did say he is at pick #16 for now. For the record I expect them to draft Epenesa the Edge

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So the Falcons picking up his 5th year option made Beasley the highest-paid 4-3 OLB last year.  Kind of strange that they would pick up his 5th year option and then part ways.

This is why:
image.png.6fe1f948ba6d2e1d39df6736899a28c9.png

Just now, thebandit27 said:

They have the worst cap situation in the NFL. 

One of the worst...

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nah. Wave goodbye to Dareus and an injured center and Jax is ok. Atlanta really can’t cut anyone and get their quickly.

Fair points, but it still isn't great. Also, Minny is around $12 million over and Pitts is 2 million over.

I do agree that ATL has to cut very deeply to make room on a very flawed team

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nah. Wave goodbye to Dareus and an injured center and Jax is ok. Atlanta really can’t cut anyone and get their quickly.

Not really.  Cutting Dareus basically gets them to nearly zero cap space when you count the upcoming rookie signings.  They're $5.6 mil over the cap now and will struggle to resign Yannick.   That's why there's strong possibility they will have to deal Campbell for a low pick to shed his salary.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So Dareus is $9.5M - $2.5M dead cap = $7M.  Linder is $8M.  Jax is currently estimated $3M over cap per OTC, so  that would give them $12M of cap space which is barely enough to sign the rookies.

Bear in mind Jax has 2-1st round picks this year from the Ramsey trade, they'll need some extra rookie cap to sign those two 1st rounders.

The Jaguars fundamental cap problem is that they have $15M of cap space tied up in a QB they benched (and $34M dead cap if they cut him).  If they trade him, they accelerate his bonus and get $18M dead cap. 

They are kind of hosed.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Dareus is $9.5M - $2.5M dead cap = $7M.  Linder is $8M.  Jax is currently estimated $3M over cap, so  that would give them $12M of cap space which is barely enough to sign the rookies.

Bear in mind Jax has 2 1st round picks this year, so unless they make a trade, they'll need a bit of extra rookie cap.

You have the wrong Dareus $$.  He counts $22 mil against the cap this year because of his restructure 2 yrs ago.   He's a non-brainer cut.

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

still have foles under contract and no idea what he's gonna bring next year. they better hope gardner is the man with a full training camp

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Fair points, but it still isn't great. Also, Minny is around $12 million over and Pitts is 2 million over.

I do agree that ATL has to cut very deeply to make room on a very flawed team

With regards to the Jags - they can make those cuts and get some room to maneuver.  But they had to trade Ramsey for picks because they were very unlikely to extend him.  They got a large return, but they did go from a good defensive team to a bad one.  I think he's a tad overrated, but he's a top 5-10 CB in the NFL.  They'll also lose their best pass rusher because it doesn't make sense to tie up cap to tag and try and trade him, and you drafted his replacement in josh allen 2.  Improving their defense is going to be huge for them, their offense isn't great, but it should be enough to keep them in games if they aren't just getting gashed on defense.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

With regards to the Jags - they can make those cuts and get some room to maneuver.  But they had to trade Ramsey for picks because they were very unlikely to extend him.  They got a large return, but they did go from a good defensive team to a bad one.  I think he's a tad overrated, but he's a top 5-10 CB in the NFL.  They'll also lose their best pass rusher because it doesn't make sense to tie up cap to tag and try and trade him, and you drafted his replacement in josh allen 2.  Improving their defense is going to be huge for them, their offense isn't great, but it should be enough to keep them in games if they aren't just getting gashed on defense.  

Foles contract is horrendous and they are stuck for like 3 more seasons with it. I do wonder if they cut Campell to save $15 million and try to funnel it to Yannick (who btw seems ready to get the hell out of there), but they are kinda tight and don't have a great team....

7 minutes ago, GG said:

You have the wrong Dareus $$.  He counts $22 mil against the cap this year because of his restructure 2 yrs ago.   He's a non-brainer cut.

OK, so they save $20K and at least gives them a bit of money to manuever, but it's still not much.  Not enough to make a serious play to resign Yannick, for example.

Their fundamental cap problem is Foles, and as far as I can tell they're stuck.

Just now, GG said:

Correct: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/

Cutting Dareus and Linder saves 28 million.  Theres plenty of other players they could cut if more space is needed.  But that space will go fast.  If they tag Ngakoue that will tie up probably 18 million.  That is counted against you while you negotiate, all the way through til the deadline when he has to sign it.  10 is probably not enough for their draft picks.  So i doubt they tag ngakoue unless they move on from campbell - who is a more flexible player (albeit older).  They need help at CB, LB, and DT.  

8 minutes ago, GG said:

Not really.  Cutting Dareus basically gets them to nearly zero cap space when you count the upcoming rookie signings.  They're $5.6 mil over the cap now and will struggle to resign Yannick.   That's why there's strong possibility they will have to deal Campbell for a low pick to shed his salary.

They get nearly $20M for Dareus alone. Yes, I’ve been a big trade-for-Campbell guy for a while now.

Point is that Atlanta really has nobody to cut and get to at least a manageable situation. Jax can get close with one move. Minnesota will likely refuse Griffen’s option and get close.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Dareus is $9.5M - $2.5M dead cap = $7M.  Linder is $8M.  Jax is currently estimated $3M over cap per OTC, so  that would give them $12M of cap space which is barely enough to sign the rookies.

Bear in mind Jax has 2-1st round picks this year from the Ramsey trade, they'll need some extra rookie cap to sign those two 1st rounders.

Assuming they end up dealing Campbell and cutting Dareus and Linder, they’ll have $40M+. Not thrilling, but like I said: manageable.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so they save $20K and at least gives them a bit of money to manuever, but it's still not much.

Their fundamental cap problem is Foles, and as far as I can tell they're stuck.

Correct.  Foles is the albatross this year, and they'll lose a few good players because of that

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Foles contract is horrendous and they are stuck for like 3 more seasons with it. I do wonder if they cut Campell to save $15 million and try to funnel it to Yannick (who btw seems ready to get the hell out of there), but they are kinda tight and don't have a great team....

They can cut him after 2020 and gain $8M in space.

Just now, GG said:

Correct.  Foles is the albatross this year, and they'll lose a few good players because of that

Right - and if you look at their offense the big ? is QB.  Ant they invest a ton of cap into it.  The once elite defense is getting dismantled, and will honestly probably just be straight up bad this season.  

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They get nearly $20M for Dareus alone. Yes, I’ve been a big trade-for-Campbell guy for a while now.

Point is that Atlanta really has nobody to cut and get to at least a manageable situation. Jax can get close with one move. Minnesota will likely refuse Griffen’s option and get close.

Assuming they end up dealing Campbell and cutting Dareus and Linder, they’ll have $40M+. Not thrilling, but like I said: manageable.

Cutting Dareus & Linder frees up $28 million, which gives them $22.5 million in cap space.  Subtract about $12 mil for the rookie pool leaves them with only $10 million to spend on everyone else.   They have to restructure Foles' contract because he's killing them for the next two seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

Easy pass when it comes to that guy. He's a lightweight DE who doesn't have the strength to set an edge nor does he have anything except a looping speed rush. He's had one really good year, but the rest have been meh. He would only be a situational pass rusher at best. No thanks. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL did you see where someone followed up the Falcons tweet on the subject asking "source?" to which the guy running the Falcons twitter account responds "literally us - The Falcons"

I did see that and it was awesome! Whomever is writing their Twitter responses deserves a cheeseburger and beer on the team's account just for that response! 

IMHO, Beasley is the kind of guy who if you can get the right amount of money in the contract, would be a nice supplement to the former Lorax position. In certain situations you can turn him loose on the QB and make that his mission while using a mid-round Rookie to take 1st and 2nd down or a guy like AJ Klein. Neither option is ideal, but as covered in another thread, Beane is most likely piecing two players together to get what Lorax and another player did as well anyways. 

Sounds like they couldn't wait to announce it.  Seems like a cold divorce.  I haven't seen enough Falcon games to see if he'd be worth signing.  PFF (everyone's favorite) doesn't like him though.

We’ve been here before with Beasley. In the Falcons’ Super Bowl season back in 2016, his 16 sacks led the NFL, but he ranked just 42nd among edge defenders in pass-rush win rate (13.5%) and 37th in pressure rate (12.6%).... he is one of just six players at the position [in 2019] with 300 or more pass-rushing snaps and a pass-rush win rate below 10%.

30 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

What’s he expected to cost per year? 
I wonder if the Bills could entertain bringing him in. He’s been playing linebacker the past couple years. If he could go back to having his hand in the dirt he might have more success? 

I think he will be a second wave of FA guy and that might be where the Bills want to shop at EDGE? Not sure I immediately see him as a scheme fit but who knows?