Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Chargers moving on from Philip Rivers after 16 years

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Its too perfect of an idea for Brady to go there. Play in his home state, anchor the LA fan base to being Charger fans in the new stadium. And Brady then mentors whoever the new guy or young guy would be there. Trying not to get too excited.

Would he beat out Tyrod for the starting role?

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Greg S said:

 

What about Miami? Even though he is on the downside of his career he would still be an upgrade over Fitz. Rosen looks like he is heading towards bust territory if he couldn't beat out Fitz last season. The Fins could use a vet to hold down the fort for a year or two until they get their future franchise QB. Who knows if they hit on their draft picks and with Rivers as QB they might be competitive. Their coach did a good job last season considering the talent on the roster.

 

Doubt it.  I think Fitz is going to start in Miami, which is probably why they brought in Chan Gailey.  They'll keep Rosen and probably try to draft a QB.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It looks like the thread about him moving his family from SD to Florida got locked or i would have tacked this on there, as there was discussion in that thread about him playing elsewhere next year. I don’t think he will want to retire. 
 

 

I believe they will take a QB at 6 (or try to move up higher if needed to take one) which helps push the non QBs down 

 

I'm thinking they jump Miami for Tua.  Gotta sell tickets desperately, and he's more marketable than herbert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I would think he is done. I mean he would not move from San Diego and commuted back and forth every day to be with his family..cant see why that would change now. 

 

Except he already did move his family to Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Nester said:

Wonder what the Chargers do now

 

Tyrods time to shine??
Time for the Bridgewater or Dalton show in La?
Will Brady try out the best cost?
Will Herbert be around for pick #6? Or does Miami take him at #5?

I’m thinking that they draft a guy early (Herbert or Tua) and roll with Tyrod or Dalton for now. If Tua is at full health he probably starts day 1. Herbert should be more of a mid season type of thing.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m thinking that they draft a guy early (Herbert or Tua) and roll with Tyrod or Dalton for now. If Tua is at full health he probably starts day 1. Herbert should be more of a mid season type of thing.

That was my thought also.  I suspect Tua is the plan - just not sure Tyrod is the mentor.  
 

I think a new Veteran mentor that fits is more in the cards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will keep Tyrod and draft Herbert or Tua. 

Count me among the small group of fans who believe the Chargers would have been considerably better with Tyrod starting at QB this year. Really, sometimes all you need to do is not put your team in a hole with bad turnovers and wait for some of your playmakers to make plays.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think the Colts make perfect sense given his relationship with Reich.   But Florida is a long ways from Indianapolis. 

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Count me among the small group of fans who believe the Chargers would have been considerably better with Tyrod starting at QB this year. Really, sometimes all you need to do is not put your team in a hole with bad turnovers and wait for some of your playmakers to make plays.

It depends on which Tyrod you're getting.  His last year here was insufferable.   By the playoff game he wasn't throwing the ball anymore.  I will say it as long as I live, Bortles vs. Taylor was the absolute worst quarterbacking I've ever seen in a game, simply because both refused to play quarterback.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes and frankly there is no easy way for the Chargers to do this unless he retires. He’s likely not doing that and they need to rip the band aid off at some point. They are moving into the new stadium this year, they feel its  time with his contract up and his stats were very deceiving last year. He can’t move and throws too many picks. 

He is not one to pad his stats. I noticed that if for example he was down 17 with 7 minutes to go, he didn't "matriculate" it down the field just to make the score closer. He would throw it deep and hope. Hope that his WR catches it or he gets a PI. I'll bet that 4 or 5 of his INTs were late in the 4th Q in those type of circumstances. He seems to have lost a little, similar to Brady, but I think that he can still start in this league.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I would think the Colts make perfect sense given his relationship with Reich.   But Florida is a long ways from Indianapolis. 

It depends on which Tyrod you're getting.  His last year here was insufferable.   By the playoff game he wasn't throwing the ball anymore.  I will say it as long as I live, Bortles vs. Taylor was the absolute worst quarterbacking I've ever seen in a game, simply because both refused to play quarterback.

True. But by the same token -- no one will ever accuse Philip Rivers of "refusing to play QB." No, he'll play and play and play his own particular version of forcing the ball downfield regardless of the situation, and the results will be thrilling and and horrifying in roughly equal measure. At this stage of their careers, I think maybe Rivers is the poor man's Fitzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that Rivers moved on before the Chargers. Odd how it came about, but I think he is not at all surprised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m thinking that they draft a guy early (Herbert or Tua) and roll with Tyrod or Dalton for now. If Tua is at full health he probably starts day 1. Herbert should be more of a mid season type of thing.

I think that Miami has more draft capital to "jump" first to get and stay ahead of LA.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's living in extreme NW Florida, the closest NFL franchise to his home would be New Orleans.  It would be ironic if we had the Rivers-Brees contest all over again, but I really don't think NO will do anything with Brees until Brees says he's done.

 

Rivers is a tough sell.  He thinks he's still a starting QB and will want to get paid like one, and will not be content to be a backup somewhere.  I think he'll end up just sitting until some team that figures it's ready to win right now loses its starting QB to injury, and needs to find the right short-term replacement.

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Augie said:

It seems that Rivers moved on before the Chargers. Odd how it came about, but I think he is not at all surprised. 

I think he was told awhile ago that they weren’t going to offer him a new deal. He seemed to know he wasn’t going to be back at the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, billykay said:

He is not one to pad his stats. I noticed that if for example he was down 17 with 7 minutes to go, he didn't "matriculate" it down the field just to make the score closer. He would throw it deep and hope. Hope that his WR catches it or he gets a PI. I'll bet that 4 or 5 of his INTs were late in the 4th Q in those type of circumstances. He seems to have lost a little, similar to Brady, but I think that he can still start in this league.

Agree, but the biggest issue is he can’t move - and their OL was not good (some of that due to injury). As a result he took a ton of sacks and was pressured into poor decisions. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some old players just wont hang them up when they should. this is a time when rivers should just ride off quietly in to the sunset.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Utah John said:

If he's living in extreme NW Florida, the closest NFL franchise to his home would be New Orleans.  

 

Rivers is a tough sell.  He thinks he's still a starting QB and will want to get paid like one, and will not be content to be a backup somewhere.  I think he'll end up just sitting until some team that figures it's ready to win right now loses its starting QB to injury, and needs to find the right short-term replacement.

I'm already loving this QB free agent offseason. 

Brady, Rivers, Bridgewater, Dalton -- let's saw you're a team that thinks (remember, most teams that think this are delusional) that they are one accomplished veteran QB away from competing for a Super Bowl. Maybe you're the Bucs, or the Steelers (if Ben doesn't make it back, or doesn't make it back on schedule), or the Colts (if you've seen enough of Brissette), or the Bears (ditto Trubisky). Which one do you go with? Assuming they all fit within your cap structure, which they (Brady) probably won't. Is it a different guy that's the right fit for each team?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wagon127 said:

Its too perfect of an idea for Brady to go there. Play in his home state, anchor the LA fan base to being Charger fans in the new stadium. And Brady then mentors whoever the new guy or young guy would be there. Trying not to get too excited.

Brady is not a good mentor. He's been a selfish player his whole career.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MJS said:

Brady is not a good mentor. He's been a selfish player his whole career.

And that's the way it is with most all-time greats at their position. They just aren't interested in playing the "mentor ready to hand the job off to a protege" role. I remember in baseball when Troy Tulowitzki, the always-injured formerly great SS, was asked this about his soon-to-be replacement, Trevor Story. He answered honestly with a kind of brush-off to the reporter, essentially saying that he had no interest in that. Maybe Eli was good with Daniel Jones, but Eli was not all-time great. Peyton was supposedly helpful to Brock Osweiler (if he was, you'd never know it from Brock's play), but he had no interest in sticking around as a backup after that lucky SB win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. But by the same token -- no one will ever accuse Philip Rivers of "refusing to play QB." No, he'll play and play and play his own particular version of forcing the ball downfield regardless of the situation, and the results will be thrilling and and horrifying in roughly equal measure. At this stage of their careers, I think maybe Rivers is the poor man's Fitzy.

Honestly, Ill take someone who turns the ball over deep, essentially punting the ball, than someone who wont throw it because they are scared of it.   The guy is one year removed from 32 touchdowns to 12 ints, and a 12-4 record.   I dont think he suddenly stops throwing ints, and he is for sure at the end, but I wouldnt take Taylor over him right now.   But, for what its worth Taylor is probably a better bridge QB to a rookie because its easier to rip the band aid off, than do it like the Giants did with Eli.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

And that's the way it is with most all-time greats at their position. They just aren't interested in playing the "mentor ready to hand the job off to a protege" role. I remember in baseball when Troy Tulowitzki, the always-injured formerly great SS, was asked this about his soon-to-be replacement, Trevor Story. He answered honestly with a kind of brush-off to the reporter, essentially saying that he had no interest in that. Maybe Eli was good with Daniel Jones, but Eli was not all-time great. Peyton was supposedly helpful to Brock Osweiler (if he was, you'd never know it from Brock's play), but he had no interest in sticking around as a backup after that lucky SB win.

 

Agreed. Favre was also extremely threatened by Rodgers. Brady was threatened by Jimmy G. Seems like the best mentors are the career backups who jump around from team to team and learn a lot of offenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, the chargers are one of the worst ran organizations in the NFL.  They squandered the careers of Rivers, Gates and Tomlinson.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people are discussing Rivers as if he will have to drive to Tampa- he can jump in a charter plane that can get him to Tampa in about an hour and stay there in a nice apartment a few nights a week. If his travel budget is 500000 and he is making 12 million then it is a good investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers is 39 freaking years old.

 

Just walk away like Eli did.

 

Rivers had a great career. Wherever he goes, he aint winning a SB, so he should just hang em up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pete said:

Tom Brady to Chargers.  That’s been my prediction for long time, and I’m sticking to it

 

So you are saying they are acting like douches so will sign a douche.

 

Will people call their head coach a douche if quits because he does not want a lying, cheater as leader of their team?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pete said:

Tom Brady to Chargers.  That’s been my prediction for long time, and I’m sticking to it

 

Definitely would not bet  the under on that one.  Sounds like a good landing spot for him as the Chargers need a big draw (or any draw) with the new stadium and they have a decent team around him.  Last year at this time they were one of the favorites to go deep into the playoffs this past season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...