Chargers moving on from Philip Rivers after 16 years

YoloinOhio

I do 100% expect the Chargers to move on from Rivers but I am surprised that NFL.com & ESPN havent posted this story if it is true. This tweet came out hours ago, 222pm, so you'd think there'd be a more official article about it. All you get on NFL.com is an article that came out at 630pm, hours after the tweet, that says his future there is still uncertain.

Case in point, Jay Glazer says one thing, Ian Rappoport counters that they havent. https://news.yahoo.com/counter-report-chargers-haven-t-020147111.html

who do we believe? :P

Edited by brianthomas

7 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

I do 100% expect the Chargers to move on from Rivers but I am surprised that NFL.com & ESPN havent posted this story if it is true. This tweet came out hours ago, 222pm, so you'd think there'd be a more official article about it. All you get on NFL.com is an article that came out at 630pm, hours after the tweet, that says his future there is still uncertain.

Case in point, Jay Glazer says one thing, Ian Rappoport counters that they havent. https://news.yahoo.com/counter-report-chargers-haven-t-020147111.html

Glazer

rapsheet is just saying whatever the Chargers are telling him to put out there

18 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The Fish are sitting on three first-round picks this year and two more next year. No one is jumping over them for anything if they want it badly enough.

True, but make them use as many draft assets to trade up as possible.  They're the team that scares me out of any other in the AFC East long term as they seem to be rebuilding the right way with a solid head coach in place.

• Like (+1) 1

Huh, Chargers Draft Eli so that the Giants dont get stuck with Ben so that they can trade Eli to the Giants for their pick so that they could draft Philip who would never sniff the Superbowl like their 1st draft Eli would do twice and they are now moving on the year the 2 time Superbowl winner retires....cool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

True, but make them use as many draft assets to trade up as possible.  They're the team that scares me out of any other in the AFC East long term as they seem to be rebuilding the right way with a solid head coach in place.

Idk about that.

The Dolphins essentially have nothing on their roster right now. They traded a young franchise left tackle and a blue chip free safety in order to get those extra first round picks (in addition to Kenny Stills).

The Bills could trade John Brown, Tredavious White, and Trumaine Edmunds for three first round picks. Is that building the right way?

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

If Chargers tag Rivers, he immediately signs and then he tells his family "one more year" and they move back to rental and Rivers becomes the reluctant player who may retire, hold out (while Chargers obligated to have salary cap space), etc.  This hurts the Chargers both in rep and in building for future.  I am of the type who believes that NFLPA agreed to such mechanisms such as tags and teams have and should use them punishing players ("Its YOUR union) who try to get out of obligations to make more money but in this case it does not work for team.

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Bruce Arians might the perfect coach for Rivers right now...

Bruce Arians likes QBS that can chuck the deep ball. Rivers isn't that guy

Serious question, can Rivers throw it more than  20 yards with any zip on it? Because I dont think he can.  

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes and frankly there is no easy way for the Chargers to do this unless he retires. He’s likely not doing that and they need to rip the band aid off at some point. They are moving into the new stadium this year, they feel its  time with his contract up and his stats were very deceiving last year. He can’t move and throws too many picks. 

Rivers has always thrown too many picks at inopportune times in games.  He is what he's always been, a very unclutch QB who plays small in big games going back to early in his career when the Chargers were loaded with talent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JetsFan20 said:

Idk about that.

The Dolphins essentially have nothing on their roster right now. They traded a young franchise left tackle and a blue chip free safety in order to get those extra first round picks (in addition to Kenny Stills).

The Bills could trade John Brown, Tredavious White, and Trumaine Edmunds for three first round picks. Is that building the right way?

True, but if White wanted out and Edmunds was in high demand then I'd get what I could (they got a 2nd round pick too).  Especially if they were from a previous regime and I needed a franchise QB.  Beane traded Watkins, Darby, and eventually Tyrod.  Only time will tell but if they get a superstar franchise QB because of their additional draft capital then they were good trades.

I like when good players move around , makes the offseason more fun, just not our players. I we dont do something stupid like this with Allen down the road.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It looks like the thread about him moving his family from SD to Florida got locked or i would have tacked this on there, as there was discussion in that thread about him playing elsewhere next year. I don’t think he will want to retire. 

I believe they will take a QB at 6 (or try to move up higher if needed to take one) which helps push the non QBs down 

they tank and go for Trevor Lawrence 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

True, but if White wanted out and Edmunds was in high demand then I'd get what I could (they got a 2nd round pick too).  Especially if they were from a previous regime and I needed a franchise QB.  Beane traded Watkins, Darby, and eventually Tyrod.  Only time will tell but if they get a superstar franchise QB because of their additional draft capital then they were good trades.

They traded a 24 year old stud left tackle to get those draft picks. Folks act like it was a stroke of genius, but I’m not sure about that.

What 6-7 years of elite left tackle play worth to you? To me that’s the type of guy you want to hold onto-especially when drafting a young injury riddled QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SoTier said:

Rivers has always thrown too many picks at inopportune times in games.  He is what he's always been, a very unclutch QB who plays small in big games going back to early in his career when the Chargers were loaded with talent.

If Rivers makes the Hall of Fame, then the honor has pretty much lost all meaning.

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It looks like the thread about him moving his family from SD to Florida got locked or i would have tacked this on there, as there was discussion in that thread about him playing elsewhere next year. I don’t think he will want to retire. 

I believe they will take a QB at 6 (or try to move up higher if needed to take one) which helps push the non QBs down 

I posted in the SB yesterday 

It is more like Philip Rivers Moved On from the Chargers based on the FLa move.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

If Rivers makes the Hall of Fame, then the honor has pretty much lost all meaning.

I don't think I could vote for Rivers myself, but I think he may eventually make the HOF.  He certainly isn't a first ballot guy.

Many fans forget how talented those Chargers teams were early on in Rivers' career.  They had monster defenses led by Junior Seau and Shawn Merriman and prolific offenses.  They would win 12, 13, 14 games in the regular season but fizzle in the playoffs.   Later in Rivers' career, the Chargers weren't nearly as talented but it seemed whenever they put together a playoff contender, Rivers' poor play left them either outside looking in or one and done.  In his career, Rivers has only led his team to 2 playoff wins.

Rivers is the anti-Eli.  A lot of critics diss Eli in HOF discussions because his stats aren't outstanding compared to other QBs of his generation, but Eli helped his team win games more often than he caused them to lose them even when those Giants teams weren't all that talented.  When he had some good talent, though, Eli came through.  The name of the game in the NFL is winning, and when Eli had the opportunity, he took his team to two Super Bowl wins.  In fact, Eli has as many Super Bowl wins as Rivers has playoff wins. 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I posted in the SB yesterday 

It is more like Philip Rivers Moved On from the Chargers based on the FLa move.

Chargers told him he wasn’t going to be re-signed awhile ago. He moved because he knew he wouldn’t be back. They didn’t just make this decision after he moved. Btw. They weren’t thrilled that he never moved to LA, either. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Honestly it’s too early to give up on Josh Rosen IMHO. He’s been put into two terrible situations and one of the best things for him would be to sit another year and let Rivers lead the Miami team for a year. If the Fins could do that and get him to buy in for one more year, it might help both the franchise and Rosen in his development.

Please tell me one thing Josh Rosen has done well in the NFL

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Please tell me one thing Josh Rosen has done well in the NFL

Nothing. He couldn't even beat out Fitz this past season. If there was ever a time for Rosen to get experience it would have been last year during a rebuilding year when there was no expectation to win. The Bills are building around Allen, the Jets with Darnold, the Browns with Mayfield, and the Ravens with Jackson. Rosen is headed towards bust territory.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1