Lamar Jackson scores 2 points in the Precision Passing Pro-Bowl Skills Competition.

Fingon

On 1/24/2020 at 10:25 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Silly competition which doesn’t show much. Lamar will most likely say he was having fun and didn’t really care. 
The narrative of Lamar isn’t his physical talent, it is his emotional and intellectual intelligence. 
I hope Lamar can prove me wrong, but I don’t think he can improve on what he did last year. While I do believe defensive coordinators will be able to draw up plans to stop him. The NFL is a league of constant adjustments. 

This position will get you in trouble every time.  Believe me .. I know from experience.

Since 2000, you won't find a decent NFL starting QB who is dumber than a box of rocks.

Baltimore had one chance to win it all with Jackson at QB.  They blew it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This position will get you in trouble every time.  Believe me .. I know from experience.

Since 2000, you won't find a decent NFL starting QB who is dumber than a box of rocks.

I agree. I think Baltimore looks at Jackson as get everything you can out of him now. They are not trying to develop him. They brought in coaches to play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Basically the opposite of what the Bills are doing with Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

Jackson's impressed me since he entered the league as his throwing mechanics continue to improve since his junior year in college.  His accuracy/ball placement has improved because of it and he still has more room to grow.  His arm strength was never a question.  Remind you of anyone?  He's going to be a special player if he stays healthy.  Him and Allen will be the best two QB's of this draft when all is said and done.  I don't see any reason to knock him because of a poor skills competition round.  Cecil Fielder his zero home runs in a home run derby.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't think you'll find an NFL QB who is dumber than a box of rocks in Jackson either.  I think he's dialed in with regard to football - that's different.  As Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman once said "I'm supposed to be pretty smart, but probably only about physics" 

Course that's just my opinion.   Oh wait, no it isn't, it's what his HC coach and OC say, "he's very intelligent"

I guess we'll wait and see what happens with Baltimore next year, but I don't bet against Harbaugh to field a strong team.

15 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree. I think Baltimore looks at Jackson as get everything you can out of him now. They are not trying to develop him. They brought in coaches to play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Basically the opposite of what the Bills are doing with Allen.

Correction: They're trying to develop Jackson WHILE playing to his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses.  Time will tell if he continues to develop, same as with Allen.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think you'll find an NFL QB who is dumber than a box of rocks in Jackson either.  I think he's dialed in with regard to football - that's different.  As Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman once said "I'm supposed to be pretty smart, but probably only about physics" 

Course that's just my opinion.   Oh wait, no it isn't, it's what his HC coach and OC say, "he's very intelligent"

I guess we'll wait and see what happens with Baltimore next year, but I don't bet against Harbaugh to field a strong team.

Yes, we will have to wait and see.  But history says that QBs who rely heavily on the run AND can't pass the ball end up having careers full of really fun highlight reels but very little playoff success.

My hope for the kid is that he doesn't get hurt.  But with that many carries, it seems pretty inevitable.  

I'm sure Harbaugh will field a strong team.  I'm just curious to see if he'll actually try to develop Jackson as a passer (at least more of a passer than he was this season) or if he'll continue to let him run wild.

If passing over the middle to TEs is all he's able to do for another year, opposing defenses will eat him alive.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correction: They're trying to develop Jackson WHILE playing to his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses.  Time will tell if he continues to develop, same as with Allen.

Time will definitely tell the store, it always does. I  have been very right about Jackson to this point. Roman didn’t develop Tyrod anymore than what he was. Same with Kap. Those guys have ceilings as passers. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I remember you being really down on his footwork..............but I'd say about 3/4 of his throws are either off platform entirely or done with technically incorrect footwork/mechanics.  

He's a shortstop playing QB.    

I know baseball isn't really a thing in the UK but Mahomes is a great shortstop playing QB...........Josh Allen is a pitcher/right fielder playing QB.......Allen really needs his mechanics tight to create accuracy,  Mahomes does not.

I never said he would need technically correct mechanics. But his mechanics weren't just off his footwork was off in different ways every throw. What KC have done with him is exactly what I said I thought he needed to be successful - sit him at first and focus not on making his footwork technically perfect.... just repeatable. That is what they have done. That isn't to say either that Mahomes would have been a bust elsewhere or that the Bills couldn't have done the same things. 

And yes baseball references are lost on me. I tried watching some of the game at the Olympic Park last year. Good God that is dull. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Not surprised, but the Lamar bashing is getting old. We have the better QB no need to be concerned about other teams players.

It is what we do BB. This season, at different times, we have determined that Mahomes, Jackson and Watson are all "not really that good" or "products of their environment who are all in perfect situations and wouldn't look like that in Buffalo." 

It is a bizarre defense mechanism. Almost like to be a true believer you don't just have to believe that Allen is good you have to believe that every other young AFC QB is fatally flawed in some way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Wonderlic scores mean dick.  Lamar Jackson scored a 13.  That doesn’t make him stupid.  Ray Lewis also got a 13, Eddie George got a 14, and Randy Moss scored a 12.  All three of them have had successful careers in broadcasting post retirement and are clearly bright, charismatic people.  Donovan McNabb scored a 14, and he ran Andy Reid’s offense successfully for a decade.

His 13 on the Wonderlic matters about as much as his 2 on the Precision Passing contest...0.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is what we do BB. This season, at different times, we have determined that Mahomes, Jackson and Watson are all "not really that good" or "products of their environment who are all in perfect situations and wouldn't look like that in Buffalo." 

It is a bizarre defense mechanism. Almost like to be a true believer you don't just have to believe that Allen is good you have to believe that every other young AFC QB is fatally flawed in some way. 

I can only speak for myself but I certainly don't feel that way.  My critique of Lamar Jackson is always accompanied by recognition of what an awesome season he just had, and the only thing I've said about Mahomes is that he throws to an awful lot of wide open receivers.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:56 AM, dneveu said:

His outside the numbers velocity and accuracy isn't very good.  He also tends to miss high... but they have 2 huge TEs with great hands so it works - just attack the middle, and the boundary throws should be easy.  The rest of the offense is mostly verticals off of play action. Kaepernick had a great arm but he couldn't get the feel and timing down.  He wasn't the same type of athlete as LJ either.  

Dont remind about their TE's.

If it weren't for that brutal blown coverage pass to Hurst (who by the way Baltimore drafted AHEAD of Lamar) then Jackson would have had about 90 yards passing against us.  I wanted that game and BOTH Patriots games back.  We're gonna smoke NE next year with or without fagboy at qb.

15 minutes ago, Billl said:

Wonderlic scores mean dick.  Lamar Jackson scored a 13.  That doesn’t make him stupid.  Ray Lewis also got a 13, Eddie George got a 14, and Randy Moss scored a 12.  All three of them have had successful careers in broadcasting post retirement and are clearly bright, charismatic people.  Donovan McNabb scored a 14, and he ran Andy Reid’s offense successfully for a decade.

His 13 on the Wonderlic matters about as much as his 2 on the Precision Passing contest...0.

Actually, Wonderlic scores mean quite a bit ... for QBs.

Since 2000, not one QB who scored under 16 on the Wonderlic has had a good career.

This does not mean that QBs who score 16 or higher will have a good career.  Look at Fitz.  

However, a QB who scores a 16 or higher MAY have a good career; under 16, since 2000, means the certainly will NOT have a good career.

So unless Lamar Jackson is going to buck that trend, I have every reason to believe that he will not have a good career.

As far as the Precision Passing contest goes, getting a 2 might not end up meaning anything.  But I certainly wouldn't have warm fuzzies if Josh Allen did that.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

As far as the Precision Passing contest goes, getting a 2 might not end up meaning anything.  But I certainly wouldn't have warm fuzzies if Josh Allen did that.

its what I saw on the day of passing drills at the combine. 
He was not accurate and he had no ZIP on the ball 

I still say he just lobs / floats balls out there and because teams worry to much about his running 1 of the big TE’s get open.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Outside of draft night, what would be different if he was a little slow though? They wouldn’t say it! They keep the reads simplified already.

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I never said he would need technically correct mechanics. But his mechanics weren't just off his footwork was off in different ways every throw. What KC have done with him is exactly what I said I thought he needed to be successful - sit him at first and focus not on making his footwork technically perfect.... just repeatable. That is what they have done. That isn't to say either that Mahomes would have been a bust elsewhere or that the Bills couldn't have done the same things. 

And yes baseball references are lost on me. I tried watching some of the game at the Olympic Park last year. Good God that is dull. 

Americans have always loved their hand-eye coordination sports............and baseball is an amazing hand-eye building game.    From a business perspective every team basically plays every day.......162 games over 6 months.........so it's great for gambling which we also really love to do.

Now that we know football is wrecking brains it's going to be up to other sports like baseball and basketball to provide the base athleticism and coordination because people just aren't going to allow their kids to play that much live football.

And fortunately there is a total glut of baseball talent blocked from reaching the major leagues.........and the minor league's pay about as well as slinging burgers........... which is pushing modest baseball prospects like Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes to much surer things like football where they become superstars.    And youth baseball enrollment is growing a ton.   10 years from now every NFL team might have a Murray/Wilson/Mahomes and even relatively impressive athletes like Allen is right now might seem like dinosaurs.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billl said:

There’s no correlation to him pooping his pants 2x when the postseason hits ?