The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

10 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

New York City has 2.5% of the United States population yet has over one third of all Covid 19 cases in the country.

One if the easiest things to do to stop the numbers would be to quarantine NYC. It is an issue and will become MUCH bigger of an issue for those outside of NYC as people are allowed to travel in and out of the Petri dish.

But Cuomo is doing awesome!

Lock that mother down.  Call in the military like Deblasio is demanding.  Setup a perimeter, only way out is in a bag.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, CoudyBills said:

Lock that mother down.  Call in the military like Deblasio is demanding.  Setup a perimeter, only way out is in a bag.  

Every day this isn’t done will extend this Pandemic weeks to months.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Every day this isn’t done will extend this Pandemic weeks to months.

I live in the middle of nowhere in north central PA.  There are less than 500 cases in PA, only 1 where I live.  That one was from international travel and she quarantined immediately upon returning.  The part about that which I find maddening is that people where I live are taking this seriously, but people in NYC won't stay home.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

New York City has 2.5% of the United States population yet has over one third of all Covid 19 cases in the country.

One if the easiest things to do to stop the numbers would be to quarantine NYC. It is an issue and will become MUCH bigger of an issue for those outside of NYC as people are allowed to travel in and out of the Petri dish.

But Cuomo is doing awesome!

get Snake Plisskin on it right away!

6 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

61EHzIwVvAL._SX342_.jpg

damn, beat me to it!

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

I live in the middle of nowhere in north central PA.  There are less than 500 cases in PA, only 1 where I live.  That one was from international travel and she quarantined immediately upon returning.  The part about that which I find maddening is that people where I live are taking this seriously, but people in NYC won't stay home.  

Do you know John Rigas?

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I've heard promising things about (hyroxy)cholorquine and azithromycin.

chloroquine can cause blindness and birth defects. this is documented. duration and strength of dosage plays a major part in the blindness aspect. it is not well known exactly what the determinate factors are in relation to birth defects.

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

chloroquine can cause blindness and birth defects. this is documented. duration and strength of dosage plays a major part in the blindness aspect. it is not well known exactly what the determinate factors are in relation to birth defects.

There is no 100% safe cure.  And you need to ask yourself if you'd rather die or risk being blind or having a baby with birth defects.

2 hours ago, TH3 said:

Hmmmm ..... so let me guess....I am guessing you did not review that 2015 budget in detail....but if you did....tell us.....You would have said “No....we need these ventilators kept in the budget for insurance”

I’m not opposed to such things from a political standpoint, but its not my call to make. However, those whose call it is cannot say no to it, then whine and blame others when the day they hoped would never come arrives. 

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

There is no 100% safe cure.  And you need to ask yourself if you'd rather die or risk being blind or having a baby with birth defects.

umm... i'll take none of the above for $2000, Alex.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

additionally, i didn't say that you couldn't take chloroquine. i have no idea what the safe dosage is or would be. i only know that prolonged exposeure can lead to blindness and that in the Amazonian Basin, they have doctors there that advise child bearing age women not to take it regardless of the malarial risk.

Edited by Foxx

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

governors of Ohio and Louisiana issue 'Stay at Home' orders due to spread of COVID-19. action includes closure of all non-essential businesses.

Baker still has MA open, that is giving us hope that they believe that the drug at BMC is working!!! Strong rumors he follows suit and shuts it down though, hope not. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/us/georgia-coronavirus-girl-hospitalized/index.html

(CNN)Emma, a 12-year-old girl, is "fighting for her life" in an Atlanta hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus, according to her cousin.

Justin Anthony told CNN that Emma was diagnosed with pneumonia on March 15 and tested positive for coronavirus on Friday night. As of Saturday, she was on a ventilator and is currently in stable condition, Anthony said.
Emma had no pre-existing conditions. She has not traveled recently and it's unknown how she contracted the virus, according to Anthony.

Young adults have better outcomes than the elderly, but they too are not immune to the virus.
A report issued Wednesday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows younger people are making up a big portion of hospitalizations. Up to 20% of people hospitalized with coronavirus in the United States are young adults between ages 20 to 44, the study showed.

Awful sad with no pre-exisiting conditions. Hope she makes it.
1 hour ago, TPS said:

Cases in Italy declined 15% compared to yesterday. Hopefully they’re turning the corner.

Ya that's good news. But for me I do 3 day if the decline is real. Still pretty high number deaths :(

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

The economic consequences of this are going to be immense. 

It will be interesting to see what the jobless claims are this week. Some banks anticipating the worst number ever recorded. 

Right. My mother lost her driving job (today) it sucks. Helps her with bills. This is going to hurt lots of people.

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right. My mother lost her driving job (today) it sucks. Helps her with bills. This is going to hurt lots of people.

It's going to crash the economy.

The restaurant, airline and hotel industries are all going to get annihilated. From there it will spread into other businesses and eventually it will hit the housing market. 

When Mnuchin told the Senate to prepare for 20% unemployment he wasn't making up numbers out of thin air. 

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The restaurant, airline and hotel industries are all going to get annihilated. From there it will spread into other businesses and eventually it will hit the housing market. 

When Mnuchin told the Senate to prepare for 20% unemployment he wasn't making up numbers out of thin air. 

Agree man. Going to log off had a few drinks. In a bad mood on my mother. Stopped drinking for a week or 2. until today  I'm a bad drinker. When I get this mood it's bad lol. But ya agree with you man. Feel terrible for everyone and agree with you.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

32 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

If you think the economy is going to burn, that’s certainly a school of thought. 

However, Mnuchin has stated that his concern was that without governmental intervention and stimulus, the consequences could include 20% unemployment.  His point was that this was not a time to jerk around.  Clearly, the government is in the stimulus business at this time.  He further clarified that in his opinion, Q2 and Q3 would difficult, with explosive growth in Q4 for obvious reasons.   I was on a conference call with members of the advisory team at Blackrock, a not-inconsequential player in finance and their protection was very similar.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

If you think the economy is going to burn, that’s certainly a school of thought. 

However, Mnuchin has stated that his concern was that without governmental intervention and stimulus, the consequences could include 20% unemployment.  His point was that this was not a time to jerk around.  Clearly, the government is in the stimulus business at this time.  He further clarified that in his opinion, Q2 and Q3 would difficult, with explosive growth in Q4 for obvious reasons.   I was on a conference call with members of the advisory team at Blackrock, a not-inconsequential player in finance and their protection was very similar.  

Almost half of American's don't have $400 saved in a bank account. Many investment firms are suggesting GDP is going to drop double digits over the next quarter. Goldman just came out and said they think it'll drop 24%. 

It's going to be economic Armageddon for 6+ months. Businesses all over the US are going to go out of business. Millions of people will lose everything. This is going to be way worse than 2008/09. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

As I said, I understand that school of thought, I simply wanted to clarify Mnuchin’s comments.  I’m handling it the same way I handle everything—I try to remain calm, recognize this is roughly the 57th time the world was ending in the last 100 years, recognize that I have a safety net if necessary, and whether it goes one way or the other, I just keep stepping forward and keep my wits about me.  That’s pretty much my job.  

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

As I said, I understand that school of thought, I simply wanted to clarify Mnuchin’s comments.  I’m handling it the same way I handle everything—I try to remain calm, recognize this is roughly the 57th time the world was ending in the last 100 years, recognize that I have a safety net if necessary, and whether it goes one way or the other, I just keep stepping forward and keep my wits about me.  That’s pretty much my job.  

Agreed. If you have the cash reserves everything will be fine.

For the vast majority of Americans that's not the case though. Anyone working at a restaurant who doesn't make food has essentially already been laid off. Hotels are going to go out of business in mass over the next month with occupancy rates somewhere between 5-10%. Airlines will go out of business, with only a few major carriers surviving. They'll all lay off a huge portion of their work force. The service industry will also be decimated. With people at home now, nannies, house keepers, gardeners, etc will be crushed as people cut costs. The auto industry is going to experience 2008 all over again.

It's going to be really bad. I'm very disappointed the government hasn't done more to shut things down entirely. I think if they'd shut everything down and made everyone shelter in place for a month starting at the beginning of last week I think we'd be good by the end of May. Now I think it lingers into the summer, and I'm not sure the economy can wait that long. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Agreed. If you have the cash reserves everything will be fine.

For the vast majority of Americans that's not the case though. Anyone working at a restaurant who doesn't make food has essentially already been laid off. Hotels are going to go out of business in mass over the next month with occupancy rates somewhere between 5-10%. Airlines will go out of business, with only a few major carriers surviving. They'll all lay off a huge portion of their work force. The service industry will also be decimated. With people at home now, nannies, house keepers, gardeners, etc will be crushed as people cut costs. The auto industry is going to experience 2008 all over again.

It's going to be really bad. I'm very disappointed the government hasn't done more to shut things down entirely. I think if they'd shut everything down and made everyone shelter in place for a month starting at the beginning of last week I think we'd be good by the end of May. Now I think it lingers into the summer, and I'm not sure the economy can wait that long. 

I choose hope and optimism. 

• Like (+1) 1