The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Cases are rising only because Texas has increased testing by 60% over the past week.  Actual cases are likely falling as the positivity test rate is declining .

Don’t fall for the media trap

And to your 2nd point.  Ready for what?  You either believe in the data or you don’t.  And the data tells us that the vast majority of the population are at no more risk of COVID 19 than the common flu.  That’s what the data shows us.   The solution is clear, give the necessary equipment and testing that the frontline workers need and pull out all the stops to protect the most vulnerable.  Aside from that, practice basic common sense social distancing and let’s get this show on the road.   This notion that we have to keep infections at a minimum while crushing the economy is simply put, stupid and illogical.    

As a society we just need to accept that the virus is with us and there will be lots of infections and you know what? We are going to be ok provided the government doesn’t compound the problem with these nonsensical extreme stay-at-home orders.

Media trap? Conspiracy talk is the way of the Trump zombies 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Bingo! Since the virus is apparently very contagious it goes to reason that by now almost EVERYONE in America is infected with it to some degree or another. So, if you die, it’s very likely your body contains the virus. But it’s NOT what caused your death.

...these are some interesting assessments I've read, but I'm probably doing a lousy job of interpretation.....

NYC, the Covid-19 "gateway to the US:      deaths:  14,000       Nursing Home deaths: 5,400    38.5%

...first, referring alleged recoveries to nursing homes was a death knell.....in an over concentrated populous of 9 million, I'm guessing there is a significant number of preexisting conditions due to poor, personal health management.....thus if your "almost everyone in America" assessment is correct, a significant number recovered in due time....

New York State vs NYC:     total NYS deaths:   22,000    total NYC deaths:     14,000

...hence 63% of the NYS deaths occurred in NYC........yet Upstate NY is locked down......a pertinent question is how many of the deaths in "other than NYC" were nursing home related because of Cuomo's nursing home policy?......if, IF the same 38.5 % is consistent,   the "other than NYC deaths" of 7,000 contain the same 38.5% or 2,695 nursing home related deaths if my math is correct....here is a 40% assertion from Monroe County's health director (see below BOLD)...

...so the remaining 10 million NYS citizens outside of NYC (2019 statewide estimate was 19 million), account for 7,000 deaths (.0007 death rate); factor out nursing home related deaths (Cuomo policy infusion?) and the rate death rate is .00043........

40% of hospital admissions in Monroe County coming from nursing homes, Mendoza says

...so has our Covid-19 reaction in NYS been precisely what is necessary, falls well short of desired action, or begins to appear as an "over the top reaction" regrading the impact on families/financial well being, job loss, impact on children with no formal schooling for weeks, mental health effects to include depression, domestic violence, suicides, major impact on the NYS economy, et al?.......has the approach been an all encompassing "balanced and reasonable?".....................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 3

Race-Based Distribution of Covid-19 Vaccine?

From a New York Times news article headlined "Trump Vows Vaccine by End of Year, and Mobilizes Military to Help":

"If there's only a small amount of vaccine, a million or 100,000 doses, there will be very difficult decisions about who gets the vaccine first," said Dan H. Barouch, the director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and a professor at Harvard Medical School who is also working with Johnson & Johnson on its coronavirus vaccine. "Is it high-risk people, different racial groups, different socioeconomic groups? Those discussions will be difficult."

The idea that "different racial groups" would get a Covid-19 vaccine first was a new one on me. I found it hard to imagine this idea. Would blacks, who have reportedly been hard-hit by the disease, get vaccinated first on the grounds that they are more vulnerable? Or could such an approach be part of a reparations scheme, a way of compensating for racism and slavery? Ta-Nehesi Coates, call your office.

Perhaps the fear is that without explicit racial preferences or race-based affirmative action in vaccine distribution, whites will have preferential access to the vaccine by default, consistent with what research has found to be their overall better access to preventative medical treatment.

It would be nice to see Vice President Biden pinned down on this issue in a future interview. "Mr. Vice President, do you favor a policy of deliberately giving members of some racial groups an earlier spot in line than others when it comes to administering a vaccine for the coronavirus?"

More at the link: https://www.futureofcapitalism.com/2020/05/race-based-distribution-of-covid-19-vaccine

25 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Race-Based Distribution of Covid-19 Vaccine?

From a New York Times news article headlined "Trump Vows Vaccine by End of Year, and Mobilizes Military to Help":

"If there's only a small amount of vaccine, a million or 100,000 doses, there will be very difficult decisions about who gets the vaccine first," said Dan H. Barouch, the director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and a professor at Harvard Medical School who is also working with Johnson & Johnson on its coronavirus vaccine. "Is it high-risk people, different racial groups, different socioeconomic groups? Those discussions will be difficult."

The idea that "different racial groups" would get a Covid-19 vaccine first was a new one on me. I found it hard to imagine this idea. Would blacks, who have reportedly been hard-hit by the disease, get vaccinated first on the grounds that they are more vulnerable? Or could such an approach be part of a reparations scheme, a way of compensating for racism and slavery? Ta-Nehesi Coates, call your office.

Perhaps the fear is that without explicit racial preferences or race-based affirmative action in vaccine distribution, whites will have preferential access to the vaccine by default, consistent with what research has found to be their overall better access to preventative medical treatment.

It would be nice to see Vice President Biden pinned down on this issue in a future interview. "Mr. Vice President, do you favor a policy of deliberately giving members of some racial groups an earlier spot in line than others when it comes to administering a vaccine for the coronavirus?"

More at the link: https://www.futureofcapitalism.com/2020/05/race-based-distribution-of-covid-19-vaccine

African Americans are disproportionately affected not because of genetics but rather socioeconomics And the outcomes that they produce and culture.   

If there were to be a pecking order it would first have to go to frontline medical workers and the elderly.  I think somewhere high up on the pecking order could be in lower income communities:  That would make sense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

African Americans are disproportionately affected not because of genetics but rather socioeconomics And the outcomes that they produce and culture.   

If there were to be a pecking order it would first have to go to frontline medical workers and the elderly.  I think somewhere high up on the pecking order could be in lower income communities:  That would make sense

There is already a pecking order in place. Back when there was a limited number of flu shots and everyone couldn't always get one on demand, there was an order similar to what you described in determining most vulnerable.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yes that makes sense.  From my terribly small sample of people I know or have heard of getting the virus, all live in apartments, condos, facilities for the elderly or multi-family living situations.  All of them.  The spread into lower income areas quite possibly has nothing to do with race but rather living conditions, lack of information on the part of certain citizens (less access to TV and internet) and just individual practices for cleanliness and social distancing and work environments. 

I for one would be perfectly fine with prioritizing vaccine delivery or those more at risk or who live/work in higher risk environments. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Yes that makes sense.  From my terribly small sample of people I know or have heard of getting the virus, all live in apartments, condos, facilities for the elderly or multi-family living situations.  All of them.  The spread into lower income areas quite possibly has nothing to do with race but rather living conditions, lack of information on the part of certain citizens (less access to TV and internet) and just individual practices for cleanliness and social distancing and work environments. 

I for one would be perfectly fine with prioritizing vaccine delivery or those more at risk or who live/work in higher risk environments. 

Data from NYC zip codes shows the highest correlation is to household size.   You figure population density is consistent in 4 of the 5 Boros

The map tries to overlay age, poverty and even prevalence of asthma, and none of them correlate as highly as household size.  

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think that’s the order I’ve read in most places. HCWs, at risk people in order of level

of risk, essential safety employees, essential workers, the rest of us. Then we force all the people who refuse it to take it. Makes sense.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I think that’s the order I’ve read in most places. HCWs, at risk people in order of level

of risk, essential safety employees, essential workers, the rest of us. Then we force all the people who refuse it to take it. Makes sense.  

...and now we get to the point of the exercise. You believe in forced vaccinations.

Edited by Reality Check
mistake
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

That's sarcasm, right?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Coronavirus in Boston: 10% of Bostonians have COVID-19 antibodies.

WELL, YES. PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR MONTHS, AND TRIALS THAT DON’T INCLUDE ZINC ARE LIKELY WORTHLESS: 

Zinc might boost effectiveness of malaria drug against COVID-19, experts say.

I take a lot of different supplements and one of them is zinc. I started taking zinc with vitamin-C as a preventative measure against catching a cold 20 years ago and I can't remember the last time I had a cold. Zinc is known to increase the effectiveness of other vitamins and supplements. Bioperine which is a black pepper extract is also supposed to be very effective in enhancing the effectiveness of those vitamins and supplements. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

News From the Front:

As the wife and I have taken to visiting different parts of SoCal on the weekends for 1) just needing to get out and 2) there is little traffic we can get around pretty quickly.  

Today's Journey:  Downtown LA and Beverly Hills

Downtown was pretty quiet. I've not been downtown in years so not sure how it normally looks late morning early afternoon on a Sunday but I was surprised at the number of shops open and the number of street vendors doing pretty decent business.  Beverly Hills was quiet too but more people not wearing masks (they are required there too) there than in downtown LA where there were only a few that were.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Reality Check said:

...and now we get to the point of the exercise. You believe in forced vaccinations.

Ya know, I've never understood that. It's simple really, if the people who ARE vaccinated are immune, why should they care if there are people around them that aren't? smdh...

• Thank you (+1) 2

DEATHS ARE A LAGGING INDICATOR, SO THIS IS GOOD NEWS: 

South Carolina Reports No New Coronavirus Deaths. 

“On Sunday, DHEC reported 276 new cases, bringing the state’s total to 8,661.

DHEC also reported zero deaths, keeping the death toll to 380.

It’s the first time no deaths occurred in the state since March 20, according to DHEC’s website.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

WHY NO SPIKE AS STATES REOPEN?

Featured image

This morning on the Sunday talk shows, Alex Azar pointed out that in states that have reopened ahead of the others, like Florida and Georgia, there has not been an increase in COVID cases and deaths:

“We are seeing that in places that are opening, we’re not seeing this spike in cases,” Azar said on CNN’s “State of the Union” program. “We still see spikes in some areas that are, in fact, closed.”

However, Azar said identifying and reporting new cases takes time. …

“It’s still early days,” Azar cautioned in an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation.” He said data will take some time to come in from states that reopened early such as Georgia and Florida.

I find this puzzling. I have taken it as given that when the states’ stay-home orders are finally withdrawn, the Wuhan virus will begin spreading more rapidly, manifested by more people getting the disease and a tiny percentage of them dying. This follows from the assumption that the states’ drastic shutdown orders have, to some degree, slowed the disease’s spread.

My problem with the shutdown orders wasn’t that they couldn’t slow the rate of infection; I assumed they did. My argument has been that

1) the cost of the shutdown orders in human sickness, death, poverty and misery is far too high for any marginal benefit they might confer, and

2) temporarily slowing the disease’s spread is of little or no value, since the shutdowns must inevitably end, and when they do, the disease will still be there, continuing to infect people.

If the rate of infection actually fails to rise when the shutdowns end, it implies that my view of the shutdowns was too generous. If infections don’t increase, it suggests–proves, arguably–that the shutdowns were absolutely useless, as they failed even to slow the spread of the Wuhan virus.

MORE at the link:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's sarcasm, right?

I did it for Reality’s benefit. 

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Ya know, I've never understood that. It's simple really, if the people who ARE vaccinated are immune, why should they care if there are people around them that aren't? smdh...

Not everyone can be vaccinated (many immunity suppressed people) and not all the vaccinations take.

More people who are vaccinated create the herd immunity we all discuss. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I did it for Reality’s benefit. 

Not everyone can be vaccinated (many immunity suppressed people) and not all the vaccinations take.

More people who are vaccinated create the herd immunity we all discuss. 

Okay, so what percentage of people can't be vaccinated? And because they can't, we want to force everyone else to be vaccinated?

8 hours ago, Cinga said:

Okay, so what percentage of people can't be vaccinated? And because they can't, we want to force everyone else to be vaccinated?

Yes. You do it for neglected kids, immunity suppressed, and those where it doesn't take. That's exactly why you do it. Maybe you've read about the return of certain once-eradicated diseases in our country in recent years? That is the effect of enough anti and neglectful vaxxers now being large enough to overcome the former herd immunity.

People once thought of those who refused vaccinations as fringe weirdos. Now they are mainstream. That merger of the anti science movement where left and right are the same. 

"Make polio great again."

Edited by shoshin

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Very good news.   Whichever country can get to it first it will serve as a huge boon for that countries standing in the world.

Just watched the CEO on Squawk..really impressive. Market was up about 300 before he spoke, up 600 now. And at least these guys are going to make money on it..they talked a bit about pricing. Not like thse chuckleheads at Gilead, giving away Remisdiverer(sp) .. you know guys like me who have held Gilead fro 6 years were so happy with that news!!!!!