The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You should pay for it because a higher educated populace results in a stronger workforce, which results in a higher GDP which results in a higher quality of life for you, your family, your neighbors and your country. It also can result in a more socially and civically conscious electorate which makes our quality of life better in a ton of different ways. In the end it's an investment in our community that pays handsome returns.

I also didn't have anyone pay a cent of my over 6 figures in student loans, and I don't need or want the student loan reform to benefit me personally.

Sorry but you live in some idealized fantasy world, not everyone can and or should go to college, some people dont care enough or arent smart enough, sorry , I know it is a bummer but a fact.  Some of todays majors like "lesbian dance theory" are not making the world a better more enlightened place nor can many of these graduates get jobs in lesbian dance theory.  How many 26 year olds that smoked dope all the way through getting a major in "film classics" are bartenders living with their parents saddled with debt......., a lot.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You aren't half the enigma you appear to be, kid. I see your mouth-breathing, low IQ MAGA clones everywhere I go these days. 

Computer Science, so yea. 

Can any individual complete a computer science degree or are there those that just can’t grasp concepts? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Commsvet11 said:

Can any individual complete a computer science degree or are there those that just can’t grasp concepts? 

There's a role in STEM fields for most people that are looking at higher education. For others, vocational training probably makes a lot of sense. and I also think those should be included as part of the definition of higher education. Academia also has a place, but should be more of a conscious choice than the default it is today.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not true just ask Eliz Warren,  AOC or Bernie, it should all be free.

Free at time of use, but that's a multi-step thought process. i get the difficulty.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

There's a role in STEM fields for most people that are looking at higher education. For others, vocational training probably makes a lot of sense. and I also think those should be included as part of the definition of higher education. Academia also has a place, but should be more of a conscious choice than the default it is today.

Ok now we are starting to agree, you have gone along way from free higher education to everyone to now STEM and vocational training for a lot of others.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ok now we are starting to agree, you have gone along way from free higher education to everyone to now STEM and vocational training for a lot of others.

I think that's tied to college funding reform - a separate but related issue in my book. Generally speaking, I think the overwhelming majority of degrees should be directly actionable from a career standpoint with enough exposure to related disciplines to enhance one's employability.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think that's tied to college funding reform - a separate but related issue in my book. Generally speaking, I think the overwhelming majority of degrees should be directly actionable from a career standpoint with enough exposure to related disciplines to enhance one's employability.

College reform, the entire system is imo, a borderline scam.  Raising tuition rates for years unabated.  Joke. Too long to even get into.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

College reform, the entire system is imo, a borderline scam.  Raising tuition rates for years unabated.  Joke. Too long to even get into.

Never mind that it was student loans that made college so costly in the first place.

Anything the government touches turns to cancer.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Never mind that it was student loans that made college so costly in the first place.

Yeah it really spiraled out of control when the government took control in 2010.   Go to 1.35 of these clip, pathetic

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agreed.

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Completely disagreed, as usual. Federal Government loans are quite easy to work with, generally have fairly low interest rates, and provide a number of programs for people struggling to pay them back.

Privatized student loans however, like those offered by Sallie Mae (Now Navient), are nothing short of loan-sharking. You get the minimum amount of support offered by law, and they work with the universities to get 18 year olds to sign up for unfavorable terms with fine print that allows them to essentially enslave the borrower. The University-Loan Company relationship is very much like the Hospital-Insurance company one where they both profit by financially destroying their customers.

CLEVELAND (WJW) – The impact of COVID-19 on the lungs has been well documented, but local doctors say they are seeing increasing impacts of the virus on the heart.

Doctors say people with underlying conditions, including heart disease and hypertension are at a higher risk of death.

“If you have heart disease, you’re no more likely to get it, but you have a great stake in preventing yourself from getting it,” said Cleveland Clinic heart surgeon Dr. Marc Gillinov. “If your heart is already weakened by heart disease and you get COVID-19 and it affects the heart, that’s a dire situation.”

Dr. Mehdi Shishehbor, Director of the University Hospitals Cardiovascular Interventional Center, has treated coronavirus patients and said about one in five experience cardiovascular impacts.

“If COVID affects the heart, we really need to be very careful with those patients, and they need to be monitored very carefully because of the risk of death,” Shishehbor said.

He said the virus can lead to heart attack or inflammation called myocarditis, and it can stress the heart.

Shishehbor said underlying cardiovascular disease increases the risk of death from coronavirus by two to three times, and if patients have markers that the virus has damaged the heart, the risk of death increases by seven to eight times.

He said some patients with cardiovascular issues resulting from the virus have not shown other common symptoms.

“What’s been very surprising is that there is a group of patients who actually present with heart symptoms and no fever or cough or respiratory symptoms,” Shishehbor said.

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/local-doctors-say-they-are-seeing-increasing-impact-of-covid-19-on-the-heart/