The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

30 minutes ago, shoshin said:

It’s down. Not way down. And the summer of 1918 was awesome. 

I’ll call it over when we have it under control through a flu season. Until then we need to plan for its inevitable return this fall and work like MFers on treatments. 

Never said we shouldn’t prepare for next season. We have the ability to do that now, without reverting to the surrender position of telling everyone to stay inside. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, pop gun said:

For everyone who thinks masks help, read this.

Without all the details/ minutiae this is the conclusion that Fauci had when initially asked about the wearing of masks. We are not a mask / facecover wearing culture, so in the recesses of our mind masks have a sinister and mysterious connotation. They keep us at a heightened sense of risk/ fear and that is really the intention. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Without all the details/ minutiae this is the conclusion that Fauci had when initially asked about the wearing of masks. We are not a mask / facecover wearing culture, so in the recesses of our mind masks have a sinister and mysterious connotation. They keep us at a heightened sense of risk/ fear and that is really the intention. 

Seinfeld reference: “Who doesn’t want to wear the Ribbon?” 

• Haha (+1) 1

...if and IF I read correctly recently, there was a component in the CARES Act that provided funding through the Medicare vehicle.....and it actually provides three times as much for a Covid-19 "reported death".....see link below to USA Today article...looks like money to be made for exaggerated numbers....

As US coronavirus death toll mounts, so does the belief by some that it is exaggerated

By Robert Gearty | Fox News

There’s a reason why some people believe government officials are exaggerating the number of COVID-19 fatalities.

One problem is the hodgepodge way states tally those numbers, Fox News has found.

Some states count presumed coronavirus deaths along with confirmed cases under Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance issued last month. Other states don’t count those deaths.

Deaths have been classified as a COVID-19 death even after a physician or loved ones reported otherwise. And those who died “with" COVID-19 have been included in the count with those who died “of" COVID-19.

“I think a lot of clinicians are putting that condition (COVID-19) on death certificates when it might not be accurate because they died with coronavirus and not of coronavirus,” Macomb County, Mich., Chief Medical Examiner Daniel Spitz in an interview with the Ann Arbor News last month.

“Are they entirely accurate? No,” Spitz said. “Are people dying of it? Absolutely. Are people dying of other things and coronavirus is maybe getting credit? Yeah, probably.”

The doctor also told Fox News that he believes there are people who died of COVID-19, but weren't counted. Determining a COVID-19 death is based on each doctor's best clinical impression and that varies, he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/as-u-s-coronavirus-death-toll-mounts-so-does-the-belief-it-is-exaggerated

from USA Today..

Fact check: Hospitals get paid more if patients listed as COVID-19, on ventilators

Michelle Rogers
USA TODAY Network

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Never said we shouldn’t prepare for next season. We have the ability to do that now, without reverting to the surrender position of telling everyone to stay inside. 

You have been saying and said, “This thing is over.” I can only go off your words. 

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

paranoid AF

...MSM is gonna be PO'ed..............

Colorado amends coronavirus death count - says fewer have died of COVID-19 than previously thought

Colorado has made a stunning and significant change to the way it counts COVID-19 deaths that reduced the statewide figure from more than 1,000 to 878, according to a report.

The change came after Colorado’s Department of Public Health admitted that its COVID-19 death toll was counting those who tested positive for the coronavirus but had died of other causes, Fox 31 Denver reported late Friday.

The department now says 1,150 Coloradoans who died had COVID-19 but only 878 of those deaths were “due to” COVID-19.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-lowers-coronavirus-death-count

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...MSM is gonna be PO'ed..............

Colorado amends coronavirus death count - says fewer have died of COVID-19 than previously thought

Colorado has made a stunning and significant change to the way it counts COVID-19 deaths that reduced the statewide figure from more than 1,000 to 878, according to a report.

The change came after Colorado’s Department of Public Health admitted that its COVID-19 death toll was counting those who tested positive for the coronavirus but had died of other causes, Fox 31 Denver reported late Friday.

The department now says 1,150 Coloradoans who died had COVID-19 but only 878 of those deaths were “due to” COVID-19.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-lowers-coronavirus-death-count

Considering 88000 died of the flu (US) in 2017-18 flu season 878 seems like an improvement.

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

You have been saying and said, “This thing is over.” I can only go off your words. 

Yes it is. The story is over. We still have all sorts of diseases hanging around the planet from many many decades ago. We don’t shut the world off and we don’t talk about them day and night.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Hedge said:

According to this report the US *may* resume funding, up to the same amount that China does, which is a whole lot less than what we had been on the hook for previously.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

But CA is locked down for three more months? Come on now.

I bet any money the 77 patients they had were homeless. Alcohol poisoning, exposure, drug abuse, hit by a car etc. They had the sniffles so the liars labeled it covid because they have to justify docking that tub there somehow. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, pop gun said:

For everyone who thinks masks help, read this.

What the good doctor who is quoted here did not take into account is that the virus is most infectious when it is spread in concentrated form, as in droplets or as aerosol. Individual virus particles will rarely do harm. Thus, comparison of the size of the virus itself with the pore size of masks is irrelevant. Even simple masks can significantly reduce the passage of droplets, thus prevent spreading the virus from people who are infected, but asymptomatic. 

10 hours ago, Magox said:

Slowly but surely.  Numbers improving 

In many places, Yes, especially the big sites of initial outbreaks. Cases are rising in Texas and really rising fast in Wisconsin. We will be starting from a large base of cases come the October surge. I’m worried about that considering what happened this spring started with so few cases. 

We need to open etc but it sure looks like we are setting up a huge second wave. We see it coming. I hope we are ready for it. 

Edited by shoshin

14 minutes ago, shoshin said:

In many places, Yes, especially the big sites of initial outbreaks. Cases are rising in Texas and really rising fast in Wisconsin. We will be starting from a large base of cases come the October surge. I’m worried about that considering what happened this spring started with so few cases. 

We need to open etc but it sure looks like we are setting up a huge second wave. We see it coming. I hope we are ready for it. 

You sound pretty happy about a second wave, just to prove your right. Stop with the doom and gloom. We get enough of that from cnn and msnbc.

34 minutes ago, westside2 said:

You sound pretty happy about a second wave, just to prove your right. Stop with the doom and gloom. We get enough of that from cnn and msnbc.

Why would I be happy about it? We are celebrating case declines that happened because we shut down and now may stay slightly down because of weather. We know it will get worse, and barring a huge breakthrough, much worse in the fall. 

We need to be ready with rapid testing and tracing or our hospital system may get overrun and/or we will be back in shutdown mode. We also need to remain extremely diligent with masks and distancing (not shutdown—that’s not possible) to drive the cases lower and lower. Rising cases or level cases through the summer will set up a bad fall and winter. 

The “things thing is over” type thinking is naive at best, dangerous at worst. I want Trump’s advice to shut down to be the only time he has to drive that kind of thing. 

Edited by shoshin

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Why would I be happy about it? We are celebrating case declines that happened because we shut down and now may stay slightly down because of weather. We know it will get worse, and barring a huge breakthrough, much worse in the fall. 

We need to be ready with rapid testing and tracing or our hospital system may get overrun and/or we will be back in shutdown mode. We also need to remain extremely diligent with masks and distancing (not shutdown—that’s not possible) to drive the cases lower and lower. Rising cases or level cases through the summer will set up a bad fall and winter. 

The “things thing is over” type thinking is naive at best, dangerous at worst. I want Trump’s advice to shut down to be the only time he has to drive that kind of thing. 

How do you "know" it will get worse? Do you have a crystal ball? Or is it "science" based? Like all those predictions of millions of people dying?

Get back to me with your science when it actually is correct. Until then, stop with the doom and gloom.

10 minutes ago, westside2 said:

How do you "know" it will get worse? Do you have a crystal ball? Or is it "science" based? Like all those predictions of millions of people dying?

Get back to me with your science when it actually is correct. Until then, stop with the doom and gloom.

He is not a scientist, and does not understand that the scientific method is applied horribly by scientists who are actually quite bad at their jobs. Not all of course, but it is prevalent. The climate change models that exclude the influence of the sun are prime examples of fatally flawed models promoted by its "investors".

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Putting science in quotes says a lot. 

We will finish the summer with 150K or so dead when we had our first single case in December, and after a prolonged shutdown. 

In September, we will have tens of thousands at least of active cases heading into flu season. You can listen to scientists or common sense. The fall/winter will be worse than the summer and will be set up to be much much worse than the last few months. The next 3 months are like Feb 2020 in that it is an opportunity.  We need to take a lot of action so we are ready for what is to come. 

If by some chance things don’t get worse, what have we lost in preparing for what appears an inevitable case spike? A lot less money spent than we will lose from more shutdowns. I want to see a coherent plan for how we will be ready for the fall by doing smart things this summer. Working towards treatments and cures (“science”) is great but it’s only part of it. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Putting science in quotes says a lot. 

We will finish the summer with 150K or so dead when we had our first single case in December, and after a prolonged shutdown. 

In September, we will have tens of thousands at least of active cases heading into flu season. You can listen to scientists or common sense. The fall/winter will be worse than the summer and will be set up to be much much worse than the last few months. The next 3 months are like Feb 2020 in that it is an opportunity.  We need to take a lot of action so we are ready for what is to come. 

If by some chance things don’t get worse, what have we lost in preparing for what appears an inevitable case spike? A lot less money spent than we will lose from more shutdowns. I want to see a coherent plan for how we will be ready for the fall by doing smart things this summer. Working towards treatments and cures (“science”) is great but it’s only part of it. 

Do you suffer from agoraphobia? Serious question. 

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Cases are rising only because Texas has increased testing by 60% over the past week.  Actual cases are likely falling as the positivity test rate is declining .

Don’t fall for the media trap

And to your 2nd point.  Ready for what?  You either believe in the data or you don’t.  And the data tells us that the vast majority of the population are at no more risk of COVID 19 than the common flu.  That’s what the data shows us.   The solution is clear, give the necessary equipment and testing that the frontline workers need and pull out all the stops to protect the most vulnerable.  Aside from that, practice basic common sense social distancing and let’s get this show on the road.   This notion that we have to keep infections at a minimum while crushing the economy is simply put, stupid and illogical.    

As a society we just need to accept that the virus is with us and there will be lots of infections and you know what? We are going to be ok provided the government doesn’t compound the problem with these nonsensical extreme stay-at-home orders.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You can’t use science to prove that the lock down is responsible for the rapid decline in cases and deaths, because we have no other ‘plan’ to compare it to. The scientific method is all about running multiple experiments and comparing the results in an effort to eliminate all other variables. 

What we do now KNOW is that this particular virus is especially dangerous for OLD people. And that it spreads rapidly in confined spaces, like when old people are locked inside. That much we do know. So....science would question why are YOUNG people being locked inside?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well well well. Now isn’t this interesting.  I’ve been saying this for a very long time. I would be surprised if the percentage was even higher. 

Bingo! Since the virus is apparently very contagious it goes to reason that by now almost EVERYONE in America is infected with it to some degree or another. So, if you die, it’s very likely your body contains the virus. But it’s NOT what caused your death.

8 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Sunday in Trumps America:

90,000 Americans are dead

1,500,000 Americans infected

36 million lost jobs

Clearly no plan. Just the next day’s reality-tv episode and tweeting crap. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f291201d8b21ef2a7ac19

If this is where you’re going....prepare to lose big time in November.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If this is where you’re going....prepare to lose big time in November.

I love these threats. 

Keep calling us stupid and we WILL vote for Trump.

You idiots we’re going to vote Trump anyhow.