Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ngbills

Off-season: Expected and Surprise Cuts

Recommended Posts

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap)

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap)

 

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap)

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap)

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap)

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap)

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap)

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1
  • Skeptical 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

 

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt they'll cut both Smith and Kroft, likely one stays.  Stars a big hit to cut, likely lasts one more year.  Murphey think will be a contract redo involving a paycut... or he goes

 

 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

 

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

 

Have a hunch you'll be disappointed come March!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap) - Agreed

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap) - I expect him to stick and possibly reworked.....the guy was solid every time he came in relief

 

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap) - I think he might actually stick.....but the cap hit might make him expendable

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap) - God I hope he is gone

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap) - Made way too much money for a one dimensional penatly machine

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap) - i bet he sticks

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap) - we can have one of our TE's block for the run

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap) - Makes peanuts and he lowers my anxiety when he is back there catching the ball....improve what is in front of him blocking

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap) - makes penauts.....was under used and should have been playing when Gore started slowing down

 

In the end....a lot of cap space so probably a lot less cuts when you would think....if they happen I hope they happen because we got somebody better...not because of the money.

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not cutting Haushka or Andre Roberts.  The rest of 'em?  Wouldn't be shocked if none/some/all are cut.

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the surprise is NOBODY gets cut. 
It’s possible everyone currently under contract makes it to preseason. 

You don’t cut players until someone steps up and takes their job unless you need the money. We do not. 
Might as well load up in the draft, sign who we are going to sign between our guys and free agents. Let the best battle it out. 
Once you have a good idea of your top 53 you can dangle guys for draft picks, trade them for possible depth players, or just outright cut them. What’s the rush to get them off the team? 

  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see anyone getting outright cut unless we've already acquired an upgrade at their position. 

 

Now some of those names might be dangled as trade bait...

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way will they cut Star with that dead cap hit.

  • Like (+1) 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap)

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap)

 

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap)

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap)

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap)

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap)

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap)

I would cut everyone on this page except Hauschka & Yeldon. Good kickers are impossible to find and Steven rallied toward the end of the season. Go with him for 1 more year. Yeldon sitting on the sidelines for Gore was plain stupid. He should've been used more in the passing game. I wouldn't hesitate to cut the rest of these unproductive scrubs. Screw loyalty, I want points and real weapons for Josh. Unfortunately Star we're stuck with.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NOT factoring $ (just performance), I would say...

 

Cut

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap)

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap)

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap)

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

 

Keep

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap)

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap)

 

Undecided

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap)

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap)

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think we cut Murphy unless we

resign Shaq.  He wasn’t that bad imo.  

 

We won’t cut Long if Spain bolts.  Also not that bad and versatile backup. Not very expensive.


Please cut Lee Smith.

Please cut Dimarco.

Please cut yeldon.

 

i just have no desire to see those guys in a bills uniform again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the surprise is NOBODY gets cut. 
It’s possible everyone currently under contract makes it to preseason. 

You don’t cut players until someone steps up and takes their job unless you need the money. We do not. 
Might as well load up in the draft, sign who we are going to sign between our guys and free agents. Let the best battle it out. 
Once you have a good idea of your top 53 you can dangle guys for draft picks, trade them for possible depth players, or just outright cut them. What’s the rush to get them off the team? 

This^^^,  it’s like last years free agency period, TC & preseason, bring in everyone you want and let them fight for their spot, no gimies any more, keep good depth, trade or cut those that don’t perform the way you need them to.  Never make holes in your roster, if you do you are not operating from a position of power when replacing/upgrading those positions.

 

Go Bills!!!

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

 

They would save money by cutting him but I don't think they do it.

 

If he costs 10 to play, and 8 to cut.  You would need to ideally use the savings to improve the position.  If you don't do that... you shouldn't cut him.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think we cut Murphy unless we

resign Shaq.  He wasn’t that bad imo.  

 

We won’t cut Long if Spain bolts.  Also not that bad and versatile backup. Not very expensive.


Please cut Lee Smith.

Please cut Dimarco.

Please cut yeldon.

 

i just have no desire to see those guys in a bills uniform again

What did you have against Yeldon? He didn't really play and when he did he looked pretty good.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap) - Agreed

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap) - I expect him to stick and possibly reworked.....the guy was solid every time he came in relief

 

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap) - I think he might actually stick.....but the cap hit might make him expendable

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap) - God I hope he is gone

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap) - Made way too much money for a one dimensional penatly machine

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap) - i bet he sticks

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap) - we can have one of our TE's block for the run

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap) - Makes peanuts and he lowers my anxiety when he is back there catching the ball....improve what is in front of him blocking

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap) - makes penauts.....was under used and should have been playing when Gore started slowing down

 

In the end....a lot of cap space so probably a lot less cuts when you would think....if they happen I hope they happen because we got somebody better...not because of the money.

 

 

....very fair assessment....nicely done ....:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap)

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap)

 

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap)

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap)

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap)

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap)

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap)

Hauschka got back on track- I think he stays. Yeldon is gone. Lee Smith gone. Tyler is a wild card- I am conflicted with his status. Dimarco always seems to make it 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also be surprised if they cut Murphy. We don't really have a replacement.

 

I get you want to upgrade the position, but I think it's foolish to cut guys when you don't have an upgrade already in place. Now maybe they go to camp and a guy shows he can do that and the Bills decide to cut or trade Murphy. I'd be fine with that.

 

I don't see us moving on from Long. He's quality depth.

 

DiMarco is a cheap special teams and offensive contributor. Not sure I see the point in cutting him just to pay someone else his money to do the same thing and have to learn the system. People are obsessed with cutting him (because he's a FB I guess?). But all indications are that the coaches and teammates love him. He's a leader and he's been a captain.

 

From this I'd cut Kroft and Smith and bring the rest back to compete in camp.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

Hauschka got back on track- I think he stays. Yeldon is gone. Lee Smith gone. Tyler is a wild card- I am conflicted with his status. Dimarco always seems to make it 🤷‍♂️

Does Yeldon play special teams.....thought he should have been used more and was not expensive.

 

I fully expect another back brought in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MJS said:

What did you have against Yeldon? He didn't really play and when he did he looked pretty good.

If by looking good you mean he fumbled, then yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

If by looking good you mean he fumbled, then yes. 

He did have one fumble. Are you unhappy with Singletary because he fumbled four times?

 

Yeldon has 6 fumbles his entire career.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MJS said:

He did have one fumble. Are you unhappy with Singletary because he fumbled four times?

 

Yeldon has 6 fumbles his entire career.

 

...but if you read about Yeldon 'round these parts, I thought he was Tiki Barber fumbleitis BAD........he had a stretch with 35 in four seasons.....

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Does Yeldon play special teams.....thought he should have been used more and was not expensive.

 

I fully expect another back brought in

I dont think he does. His fumbling wasn’t as bad as many of us thought and I felt he got a raw deal, however we do not know what happens behind the seasons. We need 2 backs. Gore won’t be back and all thats left is Singletary. Practice squad rugby guy is a wild card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...