Allen slammed on ESPN

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have freely admitted that the offense is my obsession with a "competent" offense, which we haven't seen since McD came in and gutted it.

McDermott gutted the offense?

I guess you could say that. 

what pro bowl caliber players were lost that weren’t replaced with equal or better players?

Shady?  Gore is equivalent IMO 

Zay Jones?

Kelvin Benjamin?

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ah hahahahahahahahaha  ?Ahh hahahah ?

Sorry, Dave, but I live in St Louis and know people who knew Martz when he coached here, family friends of the Martz and players and coaches kids and such. 

That's just funny.

I mean, Martz may have SAID something like that in the media or something, but it's not reflective of what he said to the team or likely believed.  There are limited situations where it's probably true - if you're in the other team's territory but outside FG range and it's 4th down, an INT can be kind of punt like. That's like, a limited 15-20 yd range of field position and 1 out of 4 downs.  Warner's 2 INTs had a big effect on St Louis losing the 2001 SB to the Pats.  What Martz thought was probably more in line with his famous sideline rant about Incognito which went something like "what the ***** is wrong with that mother *****?" as he ripped his headseat off and threw it.

When Warner was a functional NFL QB, BTW, his overall TD to INT ratio was 1.7 or better.  [He threw a lot of picks, but he also threw a Ton of TDs].  Jameis Winston approached 1.5 TD/INT his first 2 years - hit it his 2nd as I recall - and it's not an accident that was the year the team had its best record with him at QB.  Not since - including this year, 1.25.  It's actually not the absolute number of picks that's probably important, it's the ratio - the QB needs to be generating something like 50% more points for the team than he puts at risk through INTs for the offense to be functional and the team to win.

Martz had to be restrained from going after Mularkey in the tunnel at The Ralph one time.

Called him a #### sucker because he lost 2 CBs for the season in the same game due to low blocks from Bills' OLmen.

True story.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ah hahahahahahahahaha  ?Ahh hahahah ?

Sorry, Dave, but I live in St Louis and know people who knew Martz when he coached here, family friends of the Martz and players and coaches kids and such. 

That's just funny.

I mean, Martz may have SAID something like that in the media or something, but it's not reflective of what he said to the team or likely believed.  There are limited situations where it's probably true - if you're in the other team's territory but outside FG range and it's 4th down, an INT can be kind of punt like. That's like, a limited 15-20 yd range of field position and 1 out of 4 downs.  Warner's 2 INTs had a big effect on St Louis losing the 2001 SB to the Pats.  What Martz thought was probably more in line with his famous sideline rant about Incognito which went something like "what the ***** is wrong with that mother *****?" as he ripped his headseat off and threw it.

When Warner was a functional NFL QB, BTW, his overall TD to INT ratio was 1.7 or better.  [He threw a lot of picks, but he also threw a Ton of TDs].  Jameis Winston approached 1.5 TD/INT his first 2 years - hit it his 2nd as I recall - and it's not an accident that was the year the team had its best record with him at QB.  Not since - including this year, 1.25.  It's actually not the absolute number of picks that's probably important, it's the ratio - the QB needs to be generating something like 50% more points for the team than he puts at risk through INTs for the offense to be functional and the team to win.

Agree 100 percent about the ratio! The idea being if you're going to sling it, you're going to get a lot of TDs but also have to expect that you'll get some picks. I'm hardly saying Winston is perfect, but over the past 4 games (a quarter season) he has 11 TDs and 6 INTs and is averaging over 10 ypa. Those are Warner-esque numbers.

If Josh wasn't getting recognized in good ways, the critics wouldn't be countering.  Critics of these critics come out stronger and louder.

This is all part of the process and is a good thing.  Josh needs to continue to improve.  And of course, everyone agrees with that.

This isn't any different than our defense - getting a lot of press with critics talking about the weak schedule, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Bad press about Josh, the Bills defense, etc. really is good press, as long as the Bills continue to deliver with improvements.  Enjoy and embrace the process :) 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agree 100 percent about the ratio! The idea being if you're going to sling it, you're going to get a lot of TDs but also have to expect that you'll get some picks. I'm hardly saying Winston is perfect, but over the past 4 games (a quarter season) he has 11 TDs and 6 INTs and is averaging over 10 ypa. Those are Warner-esque numbers.

If he can sustain that long term, the Bucs will have something, then.  He’s got a great arm, always has had.

The problem with guys who have been what they’ve been for 4 seasons or so, is that it can be a pretty engrained pattern he’ll regress to at the worst time.  It’s kind of like Fitzy where he’ll put together a string of 4-5 games where he’s 11 TD and 4 INTs or something and you think Oh, My the light has gone on, he’s really gotten it finally.  And then the next 5 games will be 6 TD and 9 INTs.

59 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Martz had to be restrained from going after Mularkey in the tunnel at The Ralph one time.

Called him a #### sucker because he lost 2 CBs for the season in the same game due to low blocks from Bills' OLmen.

True story.

Doesn’t surprise me in the least to hear with the various stories I’ve heard.  

Were they dirty blocks or just “stuff happens”?

• Like (+1) 1

Huh...Winston puts up gaudy numbers, but...WOW...as far as doing the two most important things for a QB to (besides wins), which is producing TD's and not turning the ball over... Allen is EASILY better than Winston this year.

• Winston - 31 total TD's generated (30 passing, 1 running), 29 turnovers (24 picks, 5 fumbles lost) - 1.1 : 1 TD to turnover ratio
  • Allen - 27 total TD's generated (18 passing 9 running), 13 turnovers (9 picks, 4 fumbles lost) - 2.1 : 1 TD to turnover ratio

The one thing I feel that Winston has over Allen is the ability to throw for a lot of yards, if necessary.  If I was behind by 21 points, I want Winston to have a shot at coming back.  Either I do or I lose by 42 points from his turnovers.  Allen hasn't shown me YET that, if the defense falters a bit and they fall behind by 21, that he can bring them back with his arm.

Give me the 2019 Allen over the 2019 Winston every time.

• Like (+1) 1

All things being equal, there is truth in what they are saying.   

The weakest position is quarterback.   With more out of that position, this team would be damn near unstoppable and would probably be a super bowl contender. 

Dion Sanders has eluded to this as well.   Being ranked 28th in passing, if we were somewhere from 10-15 we would be extremely dangerous. 

Fans need to have a little thicker skin pertaining to Allen.   You can have hope but be objective. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he can sustain that long term, the Bucs will have something, then.  He’s got a great arm, always has had.

The problem with guys who have been what they’ve been for 4 seasons or so, is that it can be a pretty engrained pattern he’ll regress to at the worst time.  It’s kind of like Fitzy where he’ll put together a string of 4-5 games where he’s 11 TD and 4 INTs or something and you think Oh, My the light has gone on, he’s really gotten it finally.  And then the next 5 games will be 6 TD and 9 INTs.

Doesn’t surprise me in the least to hear with the various stories I’ve heard.  

Were they dirty blocks or just “stuff happens”?

At the time they were legal; now they're not 

On 12/19/2019 at 9:38 AM, jrober38 said:

Either they don't trust the QB, or they are playing a conservative playing style you don't see from many top NFL teams. 

I disagree.  Patriots are employing the same exact strategy this year and did at the end of last year.  Until Wilson came into his own, the Seahawks won a superbowl playing that way.  Broncos won one with a limp armed Manning.  Even the Steelers with baby big ben employed the same strategy.  It can be a super bowl winning strategy as history has shown repeatedly.

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Wrong on Both!!!!!!  2014 Denver was #2 & dropped in 2015 due to Manning being injured half the season.  Baltimore was 14th in 2000.....  

Congratulations you found two of the lowest ranked offenses.  

Find me a bottom 10 Offense that made the SB?  The majority of teams making the SB have a top 10 offense.

Proves nothing.... Huh????  

Quickly SB teams Offensive ranks...

2009 1 vs. 7

2010 10 vs. 12

2011 3 vs. 9

2012 10 vs. 11

2013 1 vs. 9

2014 1 vs. 10

2015 1 vs. 19

2016  1 vs. 3

2017 2 vs. 3

2018 2 vs. 4

So in total 11 of 20 were top 4.....  5 more top 10......

Yep good/great offenses every year.....

So you have total offensive rankings but that isn't what this is about.  You have been railing about passing.  Do you want to go back through and look at passing offense ranks?  Nah probably not but I will for you:

09 2v4

10 5v14

11 2v5

12 15v23 (!!!!!)

13 1v26

14 9v27

15 14v24

16 3v4

17 2v13

18 5v8

So lets see out of the last 20 super bowl participants; 7 haven't been in the top 10 and 4 were in the bottom 10 of the league.  If you want to use stats at least stay true to your argument and post the correct stats.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

what pro bowl caliber players were lost that weren’t replaced with equal or better players?

Zay Jones?

Kelvin Benjamin?

Watkins for nobody, drafted almost no skilled players (Zay Jones) & paid for 2nd-3rd string receivers!!!!

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK.  What is the source of this statistic of yours, because I would like to go look it up for myself?  Since you say it so definitively and now acknowledge but one exception, you must have a source.  Thanks.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/300-yard-passing.html

And Football Reference (see above).....

Add to that vs. Cincy they put up a graphic that the Bills had gone 35 games without a 300 yard passer & next nearest was 11, meaning everyone else had done it in 2018.....

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Add to that vs. Cincy they put up a graphic that the Bills had gone 35 games without a 300 yard passer & next nearest was 11, meaning everyone else had done it in 2018.....

So that is a link to passers, week by week.  Did you actually go through 51 weeks and tabulate by team, to determine that every other team had done it?  If the idea is to give me a list I can check for myself, I could do better going team by team in PFR...at least I could get every game a team plays in a season on one page, so I'd only have to check 96 pages.

Your statement was that every other team has had 300 yd passing games every single year for the last 3 years.  That is a different statement than the above.

What is your source? 

I don't want to nitpick, but you've been stating this over, and over, and over again in multiple threads, so surely you have a good source, not simply vs. Cincy graphic that doesn't support the statement you actually made, or a list of QB week by week

30 minutes ago, section122 said:

I disagree.  Patriots are employing the same exact strategy this year and did at the end of last year.  Until Wilson came into his own, the Seahawks won a superbowl playing that way.  Broncos won one with a limp armed Manning.  Even the Steelers with baby big ben employed the same strategy.  It can be a super bowl winning strategy as history has shown repeatedly.

So you have total offensive rankings but that isn't what this is about.  You have been railing about passing.  Do you want to go back through and look at passing offense ranks?  Nah probably not but I will for you:

09 2v4

10 5v14

11 2v5

12 15v23 (!!!!!)

13 1v26

14 9v27

15 14v24

16 3v4

17 2v13

18 5v8

So lets see out of the last 20 super bowl participants; 7 haven't been in the top 10 and 4 were in the bottom 10 of the league.  If you want to use stats at least stay true to your argument and post the correct stats.

Dig deeper into average scoring & point differential & it too will tell you a different story.  

Oh & every QB threw for 300 during the regular season.

31 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The underlined may be true, but it's not the conclusion that can be drawn from the first clause you wrote. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So that is a link to passers, week by week.  Did you actually go through 51 weeks and tabulate by team, to determine that every other team had done it?  If the idea is to give me a list I can check for myself, I could do better going team by team in PFR...at least I could get every game a team plays in a season on one page, so I'd only have to check 96 pages.

Your statement was that every other team has had 300 yd passing games every single year for the last 3 years.  That is a different statement than the above.

What is your source? 

I don't want to nitpick, but you've been stating this over, and over, and over again in multiple threads, so surely you have a good source, not simply vs. Cincy graphic that doesn't support the statement you actually made, or a list of QB week by week

Tell me a team outside Buffalo who are on their way to their third straight season unable to do it & as I admitted Arizona in 2018 who hasn't.  

As said longest streak going into week 3 2019 was 11 after Buffalo's 35 (and they are now at 47) meaning every team had done it in 2018.....  Every team has done it in 2019 & a quick check shows all in 2017 too (except Buffalo).

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Tell me a team outside Buffalo who are on their way to their third straight season unable to do it & as I admitted Arizona in 2018 who hasn't.  

As said longest streak going into week 3 2019 was 11 after Buffalo's 35 (and they are now at 47) meaning every team had done it in 2018.....  Every team has done it in 2019 & a quick check shows all in 2017 too (except Buffalo).

Billsfan1972, that's not how it works.  I'll support any contentions *I* make.  If I'm running around from thread to thread saying "Pi is really 3" rest assured I will be prepared with references and calculations to support that contention. 

I have no obligation to support the contentions YOU make.   YOU are the one claiming that every single team in the NFL, except maybe Arizona who hadn't but now you're saying meaning every team had done it in 2018, which means Arizona had, so make up your mind, did they or didn't they?  You back up what YOU say.

If you made a quick check, surely it's not too much to ask you to give your source? 

The link you provided, as mentioned, is a week-by-week listing of QB who have thrown for 300 yds.  It would be very difficult to sort through quickly to determine what teams are or are not on, but if you did so and developed a spreadsheet or even a manuscript tally you can photo, I'll accept that.  Also the contention is team, not QB, so if two QB play in a game and pass for a sum of 300 yds, that counts.

You may completely be correct, I'm just asking you to support your claim with a source.

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I find it interesting that you are trying to prove your point by saying that Buffalo is at some distinct advantage because every team in the league has thrown for at least 300 yards at least once almost every season.  

If that is the case then the worst, best and every team in between does it and therefore wouldn't suggest that it makes a team better or for that matter worse.

I would like to see Josh light a team up though.

8 minutes ago, billsrul120 said:

I find it interesting that you are trying to prove your point by saying that Buffalo is at some distinct advantage because every team in the league has thrown for at least 300 yards at least once almost every season.  

If that is the case then the worst, best and every team in between does it and therefore wouldn't suggest that it makes a team better or for that matter worse.

just find a way to get out of Foxborough with the W, by any means necessary

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2019 at 3:53 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Wow! We’ve seen significant improvement from him this season compared to the raw rookie last year. Is there much room to grow? Yes, and he wants to! It’s frustrating at times, but when the chips are down, I want him on my team. 

If we've seen significant improvement, why hasn't the passing game also seen "significant" improvement?

The Bills passing game, after adding 4 new O-linemen, 2 new receivers, and being a major focus of improvement still at the bottom of the NFL in overall passing?

2018:  31st in passing yards

2019:  28th in passing yards.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

If we've seen significant improvement, why hasn't the passing game also seen "significant" improvement?

The Bills passing game, after adding 4 new O-linemen, 2 new receivers, and being a major focus of improvement still at the bottom of the NFL in overall passing?

2018:  31st in passing yards

2019:  28th in passing yards.

We have seen a 15% increase in passing yards per game from last year, if we have a similar jump next year we will be in the middle of the pack

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, billsrul120 said:

Making rational arguments to irrational individuals rarely helps

12 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

We have seen a 15% increase in passing yards per game from last year, if we have a similar jump next year we will be in the middle of the pack

Good point: something else to look forward to.  I hope they draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round.

These kinds of stats prove nothing. At one time before Emmit Smith, it was said you couldn't win the SB with the NFLs leading rusher. Then along comes Emmit and bingo Cowboys win, and then TerrellDavis... The point about getting an arbitrary 300 yards passing has nothing to do with whether a team can win the SB.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

1 hour ago, billsrul120 said:

No I'm saying that the Bills for some reason (i.e. coaching philosophy & paly calling) have not reached 300 yards passing in almost 3 full seasons, while every friggin  team in the NFL is capable & does it at least once a season.

38 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Wow......  Still 28th, which is appalling & 31st & 30th the prior two years.....  

Do you guys really have so little expectations of the offense?  

BTW with such a good defense that means the Bills should too get more possessions & opportunities to shine.

Interesting is that yes the Offense is 12th in plays & 22nd in yards this year (19th & 30th in 2018 & 15th & 29th in 2017), which again shows just how conservative & bad this coaching is.......  Or it is Allen & we need a new QB (which I hope it is not).....  

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No I'm saying that the Bills for some reason (i.e. coaching philosophy & paly calling) have not reached 300 yards passing in almost 3 full seasons, while every friggin  team in the NFL is capable & does it at least once a season.

Wow......  Still 28th, which is appalling & 31st & 30th the prior two years.....  

Do you guys really have so little expectations of the offense?  

BTW with such a good defense that means the Bills should too get more possessions & opportunities to shine.

The prior two years is irrelevant in regards to Allen, as he was only here last year. I am not saying I am happy with the passing attack, but if we get a similar jump next year with this defense we will be much better off.

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

The prior two years is irrelevant in regards to Allen, as he was only here last year. I am not saying I am happy with the passing attack, but if we get a similar jump next year with this defense we will be much better off.

I'm an Allen fan......  I think he is way better then the OC & HC allow him to be, which is why I do go on.  

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm an Allen fan......  I think he is way better then the OC & HC allow him to be, which is why I do go on.  

I think there is some merit to this. Personally I feel like McD will open (or want to open) the O up more the more he trusts Allen. In regards to Daboll, I am not sure if there is a fix there personally, and maybe he (Daboll) will just need to improve as a play caller and/or do a better job of setting Allen up to succeed. I think the change to the booth has helped and want Daboll back for at least one more year for continuity sake

Edited by Bray Wyatt

22 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again as a casual observer from outside, one sees <150 yards in each of the last two games and NO 300 yard games.....

As Bills fans we point to the 4th quarter comebacks & I wonder if he can look so good on so many drives & leading the team back, why are the coaches PETRIFIED to do it the whole game.

When  McD claims 17 points isn't enough, but the strategy & play calling is exactly that (ball control, no mistakes, bleed the clock, run 6 X's in a row inside the opponents 20, celebrate running out the clock & 1 first down with all your timeouts, play for a 53 fg to tie the game, kick the ball back twice last week to Pitt in the last 5 minutes) the eye test states otherwise & the national media thinks that the QB is meh at best.

Oh & btw giving the offense little weapons the last three years hasn't helped either.

All D all the time.......

I think -- at least I hope -- that McDermott/Daboll are coaching the conservative mode that they are because of the personnel limitations on the offense.  I don't believe that the current model is sustainable in this era.  Even great QBs like Brady and Rodgers struggle to put up points when they don't have weapons around them -- and their teams lose games that they probably wouldn't have lost in other seasons when they had better weapons.

I've long been a critic of the way that McDermott and Beane stripped the offense of the talent they inherited and replaced it with much lesser talent.  You cannot build a winning team with your offense loaded with Day 3 picks, UDFAs, and refugees from the CFL.   Beane made some excellent acquisitions for the OL in 2019, and Beasley and Brown were good signings, but the general lack of talent on offense needs to be fixed sooner rather than later because it will hamstring the Bills in the playoffs where they'll face teams that not only have just as good or better defenses but also juggernaut offenses.

21 hours ago, BigDingus said:

This thread is going to look really humiliating for some people in a few weeks after our first playoff game.

If you really think Josh Allen is going to rise to the occasion & start playing at a level he's not once shown he's capable of against good teams, your optimism has moved onto straight blindness. 

Just like in college, just like last year, he's showing when up against good teams he plays miserably. Even against bad teams he only plays "just good enough." There have been 2 games this year where he looked in control from start to finish, the 2nd Dolphins game (and which analyst is going to take that a serious sign of his skill?) and against Dallas when there was still an illusion they might be good. 

Every other time we're only in games because of a dominant defense. "Franchise" guys are supposed to do a LOT more. I mean he's nowhere near the QB's we passed over for him (Mahomes, Watson, Jackson), and at this rate it'd take years for him to approach that level. 

And they're right about how Baltimore played him. Just send the team rushing, leave people wide open and he'll still miss. He can't make reads fast enough, he holds onto the ball longer than anyone in the league, fumbles a lot, takes bad sacks often, and is more consistent on missing wide open targets than anyone I've seen. 

All that said, he CAN grow into something better, but how long will that take? He plays almost identical to the way he did last season. And just like last season, his best stretch of play was when we closed out 2018 with the weakest remaining schedule in the NFL, and coincidentally, Josh looked better! Shocking! 

This is simply untrue.  Allen's playing much better recently than he was even earlier in the season, much less last season.  Good defenses can make even great QBs look bad.  The stretch from Thanksgiving through this week end (Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers, Patriots) could have been a 0-4 disaster if Allen hadn't played well.  At worse, they will go 2-2 and maybe even 3-1. 

38 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I think there is some merit to this. Personally I feel like McD will open (or want to open) the O up more the more he trusts Allen. In regards to Daboll, I am not sure if there is a fix there personally, and maybe he (Daboll) will just need to improve as a play caller and/or do a better job of setting Allen up to succeed. I think the change to the booth has helped and want Daboll back for at least one more year for continuity sake

I would like Daboll back but I would like changes.  If his playbook is as thick and complicated as everyone says, perhaps it needs to be streamlined somewhat.

All that matters right now is beating NE and getting ready to do as much damage as possible in the playoffs. 

Allen was subpar this year imo, and next year will need to make pretty significant strides in his game to show he's the guy. 

If he doesn't make a big leap and we see much of the same, it will be time to seriously look at the position.   The pieces are are all coming together, we simply need better and more consistent Qb play. 

Next year will pretty much tell us everything by seasons end.

Ben Volin of Boston Globe dissed Josh Allen too. Said Josh still don't know how to play QB from the pocket. Said, and I'm paraphrasing, Allen is a great athlete, with a strong arm, but still can't read defenses. All I'm saying is if Josh hits on the deep passes and his receivers/TEs make the catches tomorrow against the Patriots, it may put to rest this narrative about him.

Today, LeBatard said he has never seen Josh Allen lead a 4th quarter comeback like Brady.

Then Sarah Spain countered with: "You saying you've never seen Josh Allen lead a 4th quarter comeback tells me you just don't watch the Bills, because Josh Allen is tied with Russel Wilson with 6 4th quarter comebacks this year!"

Way to go Sarah!!??

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

Today, LeBatard said he has never seen Josh Allen lead a 4th quarter comeback like Brady.

Then Sarah Spain countered with: "You saying you've never seen Josh Allen lead a 4th quarter comeback tells me you just don't watch the Bills, because Josh Allen is tied with Russel Wilson with 6 4th quarter comebacks this year!"

Way to go Sarah!!??

Lebatard is a buffoon.

9 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep....  Congrats you found that boring terrible SB & hanging your hat on it?

Well without Offense Brady & NE wouldn't have beaten the Chiefs.

Take a look at the 2017 Playoffs & all the 300 yard games.

Stop too with the Defense wins championships cliche too.

If the Bills in the Glory Years had had great defenses, not just good ones, there likely would be at least one Lombardi residing at OBD. 

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Zay Jones?

Kelvin Benjamin?

Get your facts straight, dude.

McDermott/Beane inherited a very talented WR corps: Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin.  They inherited a pretty good OL, particularly on the left side with Incognito and Glenn.  They had McCoy at RB.  None of those players left the Bills because they demanded trades or retired or were forced into retirement by injury.

Gore is NOT the equivalent of McCoy unless you go back to the Gore of 5 or 6 years ago.

Zay Jones was a McDermott draft pick.  Beane traded for Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1