Allen slammed on ESPN

1 hour ago, George C said:

Until Allen IS consistently GREAT, which he is not yet, he will be disrespected.. 

It’s all up to Josh to get better.

Remember, talking heads are just that. They're opinion come second hand. As fast as they trash, they'll do a 180 next week. 

To be fair, I think Allen will be disrespected up to and until he has a career pushing Brady, which I hope he does.

It's all about confirmation bias.  The "story" on Allen is that he has an arm that can laser a ball through a brick wall, but is unable to successfully target said wall 4 times out of 5.  He was said to be a "joke of a first round draft pick" and to have "less than zero probability to succeed as a QB".

People will cling to those takes with the tenacity of barnacles on an 18th century whaler, even as wooden ships pass into history.

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are absolutely right from the perspective of the average fan. Most of us do not watch every game out there and often, make judgements about performances of players from other teams based off highlights and stats. However, if your JOB is to provided commentary on sports and you decide to comment, on a national platform, about a specific player, perhaps you should do a little more indepth analysis prior to making the comments....

I agree with you completely, but the fact is most of those guys don't.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Hopefully, in 6 short weeks, they'll be on TV on a Monday morning whinging about how he's the worst QB ever to win a Super Bowl.

From your mouth to God's Ears, Bandit!

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a very simplistic take - though he was f entirely wrong about The Ravens strategy.  

What I’ve learned following the BS from the Twitter Analytics crowd is that journalists or worse yet mathematicians turned “analysts,” don’t have anymore of an informed opinion than a lot of us fans who follow the NFL.  Translation here is that the use guys have no idea what they are talking about  

This is a quotation from the article Tom Pelissero wrote yesterday where NFL execs named McDermott coach of the year:

“He's winning with a young quarterback -- they're kind of winning because of the quarterback, too.”

This is from an NFC Director of Pro Personnel.  If Allen isn’t view this way in from office circles, you know there has to be a lot more to it that the superficial argument that these three are making.  

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think that too many Bills fans are too sensitive about criticism of Allen in the media.  Some of the criticism is justified because Allen doesn't put up great passing stats, and his game still needs considerable work.  OTOH, passing stats have become the be-all and end-all for some in the media as well as among some fans --at least partly and maybe mostly -- due to fantasy football, but passing stats alone don't define great QBs.

IMO, Allen is already a competent NFL QB who demonstrates both good leadership and clutch play even though his passing stats aren't very good.  He not only improved significantly from his rookie season, he's continued to improve as both a passer and a QB over the course of this season.  Allen has thrown for 18 TDs and only 9 picks in 2019, and he's run for 9 more.  Allen, in only 2 seasons, had already directed 6 4th quarter comebacks and 8 game winning drive. 

Jameis Winston OTOH has never been a competent NFL QB despite a being a great passer.  His poor decision making has regularly cost his team wins.  In his five seasons, Winston has thrown for 118 TDs in 70 games -- and 82 INTs.  He's led 7 4th quarter comebacks and led 11 game winning drives in 5 seasons.  Essentially, Winston is the same QB in Year 5 as he was in Year 2.  Even having QB whisperer Bruce Arians as his HC has only helped Winston improve his QB play very marginally -- he's thrown 30 TDs and 24 INTs in 14 games this season.

He’s right about the Ravens strategy.  They dared him to beat them deep and he couldn’t.

I do agree that fans are overly sensitive about criticism to Allen.  But in this case, I feel that these hosts are taking a superficial look at him based on stats

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Who's the ahole on the right (the one trying too hard to be funny)?

Bomani Jones.  He can sometimes be funny. This clip he was trying really hard and failing 

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It’s a very simplistic take - though he was f entirely wrong about The Ravens strategy.  

What I’ve learned following the BS from the Twitter Analytics crowd is that journalists or worse yet mathematicians turned “analysts,” don’t have anymore of an informed opinion than a lot of us fans who follow the NFL.  Translation here is that the use guys have no idea what they are talking about  

This is a quotation from the article Tom Pelissero wrote yesterday where NFL execs named McDermott coach of the year:

“He's winning with a young quarterback -- they're kind of winning because of the quarterback, too.”

This is from an NFC Director of Pro Personnel.  If Allen isn’t view this way in from office circles, you know there has to be a lot more to it that the superficial argument that these three are making.  

Phil,

What did he say about the Ravens strategy?  I'm unmotivated to actually listen.  Thanks.

"kind of" hmmmph.

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He’s right about the Ravens strategy.  They dared him to beat them deep and he couldn’t.

I do agree that fans are overly sensitive about criticism to Allen.  But in this case, I feel that these hosts are taking a superficial look at him based on stats

Bomani Jones.  He can sometimes be funny. This clip he was trying really hard and failing 

Here's what folks need to ask themselves about Allen and the Bills:

When opposing coaches draw up their game plan, who on Buffalo's offense are they focused on stopping?

The answer is easy

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are absolutely right from the perspective of the average fan. Most of us do not watch every game out there and often, make judgements about performances of players from other teams based off highlights and stats. However, if your JOB is to provided commentary on sports and you decide to comment, on a national platform, about a specific player, perhaps you should do a little more indepth analysis prior to making the comments....

And again I put very little blame on Allen, because I think the Coach & OC have done very little to help him & design an offense that like they say about a child "Only a mother could love".....

This is what drives me crazy here as we are all Bills fans.  Be honest this offense is seldom fun to watch.  They can't/won't throw for 300 yards, seldom put up points and their philosophy is make no mistakes, control field position & take time off the clock......  

Really if not a Bills fan, why would you watch them?  

Be honest if no rooting interest, however know some history & just look at scores, how far down would the Bill be?

LeBatard & the others are often talking heads.  Some like Mina Kimes, Katie Nolan have specific knowledge.  Most are just however sports fans & social commentators.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Phil,

What did he say about the Ravens strategy?  I'm unmotivated to actually listen.  Thanks.

Wise choice.

It was a bit of an embellishment.  I’m paraphrasing here but he said they left WR’s wide open down the field because they knew he couldn’t hit them.  He said it was the most disrespectful strategy he’s ever seen and that Pittsburgh chose not to do that and that’s why they lost.  

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

And again I put very little blame on Allen, because I think the Coach & OC have done very little to help him & design an offense that like they say about a child "Only a mother could love".....

This is what drives me crazy here as we are all Bills fans.  Be honest this offense is seldom fun to watch.  They can't/won't throw for 300 yards, seldom put up points and their philosophy is make no mistakes, control field position & take time off the clock......  

Really if not a Bills fan, why would you watch them?  

Be honest if no rooting interest, however know some history & just look at scores, how far down would the Bill be?

LeBatard & the others are often talking heads.  Some like Mina Kimes, Katie Nolan have specific knowledge.  Most are just however sports fans & social commentators.  

Anyone who blames coaching and not the QB is just scapegoating.  

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Phil,

They dared him to throw by Blitzing & little coverage & he failed.  Of course they didn't see the game & the drops & the fact that Daboll made no apparent adjustments.....

BTW there was a boring game up against them that ended 48-46 (btw SF held Balt to 20 the week prior on the road).

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They dared him to throw by Blitzing & little coverage & he failed.  Of course they didn't see the game & the drops & the fact that Daboll made no apparent adjustments.....

BTW there was a boring game up against them that ended 48-46 (btw SF held Balt to 20 the week prior on the road).

Thanks

Daboll is sometimes maddeningly slow to adjust, and of course, one viewpoint is that the game turned on a personnel package that put Knox 1:1 with Judon.

Wow! these guys are clueless. I cant believe these saps get paid for spouting that garbage. I understand he makes mistakes, but he's young and learning, but his physical skills are undeniable and he brings a lot more to the table than that. what a bunch of clowns.

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Wise choice.

It was a bit of an embellishment.  I’m paraphrasing here but he said they left WR’s wide open down the field because they knew he couldn’t hit them.  He said it was the most disrespectful strategy he’s ever seen and that Pittsburgh chose not to do that and that’s why they lost.  

Anyone who blames coaching and not the QB is just scapegoating.  

So it is Allen?  

The coaching Sunday at the end of the half & the last two drives was indicative of the coaching philosophy all year.

They coach him as if he is their third stringer in as an emergency.  

Until I see a game where they consistently try & ram it down an opponents throat & aren't content with 14 points in a half, you can't convince me.

If he is so so bad, time to draft another QB.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please, Kind Sir, permit me to Empower you to start New Topics of Rare and Great Interest to yourself

These are neither rare nor great, unfortunately.  But they are difficult to understand and never ending--like PPP!

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So it is Allen?  

The coaching Sunday at the end of the half & the last two drives was indicative of the coaching philosophy all year.

They coach him as if he is their third stringer in as an emergency.  

Until I see a game where they consistently try & ram it down an opponents throat & aren't content with 14 points in a half, you can't convince me.

If he is so so bad, time to draft another QB.

14 points a half would put us about 4th in the league in ppg.  

• Like (+1) 1