The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

What was the point of voting to impeach if you are not going to submit the articles to the Senate? A giant distraction? Making the crazy-base happy? Nancy caving to the clown-car drivers but going no further?

And, what are the repercussions of not submitting to the Senate? Ha-ha we impeached you nanny-nanny-boo-boo is a pretty crazy way to govern.

Does voting for impeachment impact how things work (or don't work) in Congress and between President Trump? IOW will bills still be written, judges still appointed, money still spent, etc and then submitted to the President? If so, why do this?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What was the point of voting to impeach if you are not going to submit the articles to the Senate? A giant distraction? Making the crazy-base happy? Nancy caving to the clown-car drivers but going no further?

And, what are the repercussions of not submitting to the Senate? Ha-ha we impeached you nanny-nanny-boo-boo is a pretty crazy way to govern.

Does voting for impeachment impact how things work (or don't work) in Congress and between President Trump? IOW will bills still be written, judges still appointed, money still spent, etc and then submitted to the President? If so, why do this?

I’m not certain that the House enjoys the Constitutional authority to withhold from the Senate.

They’ve publicly completed their role in this farce, and the Senate, I believe, is now free to take up the trial, or the trial can be compelled by the Executive adjourning Congress, or by the order of SCOTUS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I hate to break it to you but if one of those Democrats is elected it's gonna get a LOT worse

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Alright. Gotta chime in here. How many of you were outraged when Lindsey Graham said impeachment didn't require a crime and that the moral fabric of our society, something or other?

Is there really a difference here? Clinton lied under oath about a sexual encounter, so that distinguishes this process from THAT process? Is that the argument? Didn't like that impeachment. Don't like this impeachment. Let the voters decide. BUT, hypocrisy is never cool. 

This will help Trump politically in all likelihood, but I'm not seeing a difference and the idea that THIS impeachment will end government as we know it seems way over the top.

I'm too young to remember the Clinton situation, and I am not well read enough on it to comment. My biggest issue in this current iteration of Impeachment sweepstakes is that it generates a precedent. As someone said, at least with Clinton there was a crime. With this, the precedent now exists that the losing party can try to overturn the results of an election that didn't go their way with made up evidence and Kangaroo courts. It's not a big deal here, and I agree it likely will help Trump and the R's, but next time the hunting party might hold the house and the senate, and all the sudden it's a different ballgame for the person in the Oval- be it a republican or a democrat, because it isn't just one side that will see this precedent as an opportunity in the future. 

13 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

When you're faced with an enemy with no moral compass, you can choose a restrained approach and probably lose or you can firebomb them into submission and win. I'd rather win, no matter the cost than suffer a loss with a good feeling about my moral superiority.

Nah man. If they're going to tear down the institutions, we fight a civil war and re-establish the institutions. If we're not gonna operate under the law of the land, the constitution, just because they didn't first, then we're f-ed either way. 

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

2020 is in the bag for Democrats to keep the House, and take back the Senate and White House!!

<_<

Hillary is up in the polls!

11 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Hey garbage person! I was playing hockey tonight. What were you doing, eating sh it? You are nothing. Filth 

Tibs! I see you've grown as a person since I've been down here!

3 hours ago, KRC said:

I saw on the Twitter today that people think that because Trump was impeached that he is not allowed to run for re-election. Between that and the people who think that he is now out of office, did anyone on the left pay attention in 4th grade civics class?

Do they teach civics anymore...?

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The point is perfectly illustrated in my Small town newspapers headline today: "Trump Impeached" in giant letters. Whose reading past that? It's about framing a narrative. Those with intelligence and depth will see through it, see it as the sham it is, and vote for Trump and other republicans next fall... Those who don't have the intelligence to see what this is really about were definitely already voting democrat. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is a terrible precedent to set for our country.

Impeachment without a crime

by Paul Mirengoff

Original Article

The House has voted to impeach President Trump. The historical significance of this event lies mainly in the fact that, until now, no president has been impeached without some allegation in an article of impeachment that he committed a crime.

This was also the first impeachment proceeding that had no support in the House from a single member of the president’s party. Legal scholars disagree as to whether impeachment requires a crime. However, the Constitution provides that impeachment of a president is to be for “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.” I find it hard to read this language as permitting impeachment proceeding that had no support in the House from a single member of the president’s party.

Legal scholars disagree as to whether impeachment requires a crime. However, the Constitution provides that impeachment of a president is to be for “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.” I find it hard to read this language as permitting impeachment in the absence of the two crimes specified or another significant crime.

Moreover, as Ted Cruz pointed out during a discussion at the Heritage Foundation earlier this week, the framers of the Constitution rejected a draft that called for impeachment for “corruption,” as well as a draft that called for it in cases of “maladministration.”

It seems to me that the Democrats have impeached Trump for some combination (as they see it) of corruption and maladministration.

For purposes of housekeeping, let’s take a look at the vote. On the first article of impeachment — for “abuse of power” — it was 230 to 197. Two Democrats — Collin Peterson of Minnesota and Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey — voted against impeachment. No Republican voted for impeachment, but ex-Republican Justin Amash of Michigan, now an independent, did.

Tulsi Gabbard took a page from the Barack Obama playbook and voted “present.”

The second article called for Trump to be impeached for exercising his right to have a dispute with Congress resolved by the courts. The vote on this absurdity was 229 to 198. Jared Golden of Maine was the Democrat who voted for the first article but not the second.

The Washington Post celebrates the impeachment by claiming that the House’s purely partisan move “creat[es] an indelible stain on [Trump’s] presidency.” I doubt it.

Trump is the third president in the past 45 years to have gone through impeachment proceedings, and the third of the last eight elected presidents to experience this. The proportion of such presidents is likely to increase during the next half century.

Impeachment isn’t what it used to be. In fact, absent conviction by the Senate, it’s no longer very much at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I gotta wonder, how long can Pelosi hang on to the articles of impeachment? Can she theoretically hold them in her back pocket hoping the Senate goes back under Democratic control, then Trump wins and Pelosi then sends the articles over to the Senate? Essentially an insurance policy for if Trump wins

a good article and history lesson with parallels to today, from constitutional scholar, Jonathan Turley.

“Let Them Impeach And Be Damned”: History Repeats Itself With A Vengeance As The House Impeaches Donald Trump

“Let them impeach and be damned.” Those words could have easily come from Donald Trump, as the House moves this week to impeach him. They were, however, the words of another president who not only shares some striking similarities to Trump but who went through an impeachment with chilling parallels to the current proceedings. The impeachment of Trump is not just history repeating itself but repeating itself with a vengeance. ...

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I gotta wonder, how long can Pelosi hang on to the articles of impeachment? Can she theoretically hold them in her back pocket hoping the Senate goes back under Democratic control, then Trump wins and Pelosi then sends the articles over to the Senate? Essentially an insurance policy for if Trump wins

Sure! Why not?

It’s total scorched earth in Washington now!

56 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

When  will people be honest about the Dem party being domestic enemies?

Remember, kids, friends don't let friends be Joe.

55 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What was the point of voting to impeach if you are not going to submit the articles to the Senate? 

So you can keep it in the news for the Democratic primaries.  

It's called "abuse of power for personal political gain."  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Foxx said:

You wrinkly old hag, that isn't how that works... That isn't how any of this works. You're done! You shot your shot and it's over. Send it up the line where it will be swatted back in your ancient ass face and take the L. You have no control over the senate, and you don't get to dictate how things work up there- the constitution does. Heard of it? 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

You wrinkly old hag, that isn't how that works... That isn't how any of this works. You're done! You shot your shot and it's over. Send it up the line where it will be swatted back in your ancient ass face and take the L. You have no control over the senate, and you don't get to dictate how things work up there- the constitution does. Heard of it? 

Common man... don't hold back! 

Tell us how you really feel about this piece of trash.

:lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Common man... don't hold back! 

Tell us how you really feel about this piece of trash.

:lol:

I was raised to respect my elders, even those who are definitely past the point of being elders and are just long past their expiration date. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

The point is perfectly illustrated in my Small town newspapers headline today: "Trump Impeached" in giant letters. Whose reading past that? It's about framing a narrative. Those with intelligence and depth will see through it, see it as the sham it is, and vote for Trump and other republicans next fall... Those who don't have the intelligence to see what this is really about were definitely already voting democrat. 

This 100%. I couldn't have said it better.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Foxx said:

a good article and history lesson with parallels to today, from constitutional scholar, Jonathan Turley.

“Let Them Impeach And Be Damned”: History Repeats Itself With A Vengeance As The House Impeaches Donald Trump

“Let them impeach and be damned.” Those words could have easily come from Donald Trump, as the House moves this week to impeach him. They were, however, the words of another president who not only shares some striking similarities to Trump but who went through an impeachment with chilling parallels to the current proceedings. The impeachment of Trump is not just history repeating itself but repeating itself with a vengeance. ...

I've heard of him. :ph34r:

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No, they're enemies of ALL the people. The half you're thinking of is the VICTIM of the press.

They've bought the lies.

If the other half of of the people had any brains, they should be very scared too.

To paraphrase a line from the Irishman, If they could do this to a president,

they could do it to anyone. 

Yes even their loyal non thinking NPC's.

• Like (+1) 1

ROGER KIMBALL: The real impeachment scandal: The Democrats are always guilty of what they accuse Trump of. 

“If anything has become clear over the past couple of months, it is that the Democrats have no case against the president; there are no crimes alleged, just the emission of a turgid vapor about ‘abuse of power’ and ‘obstruction of Congress’.

There was no ‘quid pro quo’, no ‘pressure’, no ‘abuse of power’. All people with first hand knowledge of the infamous conversation between President Trump and President Zelensky acknowledge this. There was just the president doing the people’s business, legitimately exercising his power. . . .

In this case, the real Ukraine scandal is the Biden family scandal. Yet somehow Joe and Hunter Biden’s corruption got transmuted in supposed wrongdoing by Donald Trump. How does that work? ‘How Did the Bidens’ Corruption Become Trump’s Scandal?‘ It’s the special alchemy at which Democrats excel. Republicans never learned the knack.”

• Like (+1) 1