“One-Hit Wonders” for every NFL Team

YoloinOhio

On 11/13/2019 at 7:04 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Does Kiko Alonso count? I know he's still in the league. But after his rookie season here, he's been average at best, but mostly not that great.

Definitely has to count. The legend of Kiko folks built him to be the next Keuchley or something

I remember Terry Miller having a huge game against the NY Giants in that 78 season.

Gary Marangi.

Threw a couple nice passes in a game against the Dolphins and a lot of Bills fans thought he was the next big thing.....until Fergy got hurt for real and Marangi had to play an extended period of time.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/13/2019 at 3:21 PM, YoloinOhio said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28008681/32-nfl-one-hit-wonders-hillis-madden-cover-tyree-helmet-catch-more

Bills 

I don’t remember him, but I would add Karlos Williams 

Weird to see Terry mentioned because I wrote about him just the other day in the draft bust thread.  

I can't find this on Google but as I recall Terry had some kind of problem with his eyesight and lost his peripheral vision after his promising rookie effort.   He only ran for about 500 yards the rest of his career.

On 11/13/2019 at 6:21 PM, YoloinOhio said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28008681/32-nfl-one-hit-wonders-hillis-madden-cover-tyree-helmet-catch-more

Bills 

I don’t remember him, but I would add Karlos Williams 

Miller was going to be my choice when I entered this thread.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

On 11/13/2019 at 10:21 PM, Mr. Wonderful said:

Aaron Maybin (before being drafted by acting "GM" Russ Brandon ).  

but you have to have a "hit" . . . he's still running wide around the edge and we're still waiting

On 4/10/2020 at 9:08 AM, jletha said:

For those who don't have The Athletic, here's the list with the comments in the article edited out to protect the innocent.  I left the QB comments in.  

10) S Bacarri Rambo, 2014
9) LB Brandon Spoon, 2001
8) WR Josh Reed, 2002
7) QB Kyle Orton, 2014
Not fully convinced in quarterback EJ Manuel, the Bills and then-coach Doug Marrone made what seemed like a panic move right before the 2014 season, signing the 31-year-old Orton to a two-year deal as insurance. Manuel imploded in Week 4 in Houston (the J.J. Watt interception game), the Bills were 2-2 and Marrone turned to Orton the rest of the way. Orton basically walked in cold and had one of the most prolific passing seasons in team history. His 3,018 yards over 12 games was on pace for the second 4,000-yard season in Bills history. In fairness, Jim Kelly likely would have accomplished the feat in 1991 (166 yards shy) if he played in all 16 games. Orton’s legendary moment that season was being photographed outside Ford Field smoking a cigar within an hour of beating the Lions. Following the 9-7 season, at locker room cleanout day, reporters wanted to talk to Orton about 2015. Orton grabbed his wallet from his locker and told the media he’d be right back to talk. Fifteen minutes later, the Bills bellowed through the locker room that Orton was retiring. He never did come back to chat, leaving the same way as he arrived — without any warning and in an unforgettable way.

6) RB Karlos Williams, 2015
5) LB Kiko Alonso, 2013
4) QB J.P. Losman, 2006
After the Bills missed out on the first wave of quarterbacks in the 2004 NFL Draft, they moved back into the first round to select Losman, surrendering their 2005 first-round pick to do so. That next year was when Aaron Rodgers fell to 24th overall and Green Bay eagerly selected Brett Favre’s successor. The Bills would have had the 20th pick in that draft. During that 2006 season, Losman teased fans with big games in an otherwise frustrating campaign. One that stands out is the Bills’ Nov. 19 win over Houston, when Losman hit Lee Evans for an 83-yard touchdown twice in the first quarter. Flashes of brilliance and moments of torture defined the Losman era. In 2007, Losman suffered an injury in Week 3, returned to the lineup six weeks later and was permanently benched by Week 13. He went 2-5 with four touchdowns and six interceptions in 2007, and was off the roster by 2009.

3) WR Peerless Price, 2002
2) RB C.J. Spiller, 2012

1) QB Trent Edwards, 2008
While Edwards doesn’t have the statistical prowess of some others on this list, his name — and the start to the 2008 season — will forever stick in the minds of the fan base. The Bills used a third-round pick on Edwards in 2007, and after Losman was injured, Edwards began to make his mark. The Bills gave him the reins by Week 13 of his rookie year and had high hopes heading into 2008. Edwards famously received rave reviews from all-time NFL great Bill Walsh. The Bills thought they were on to something, and for a brief moment they were right.

Edwards and the Bills started 2008 on fire. They won their first four games of the season and the league began to take notice. In Week 5, Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson knocked Edwards out of the game with a concussion and the Bills went on to lose 41-17 — a moment many believe was the catalyst for Edwards never regaining his form. Two weeks after that, though, Edwards came back to beat the San Diego Chargers in one of his best games of the season, completing 25 of 30 passes for 261 yards. Then Edwards’ downward spiral began. He started turning the ball over in bunches, throwing eight interceptions over his next four games.

To counteract the turnovers, Edwards started to take fewer chances down the field. He injured his groin and missed two games late in the year. After the promising 5-1 start, the Bills wound up 7-9 and missed the playoffs once again. Edwards was never the same, even while starting seven games in 2009. The Bills named him the starter in 2010, but that didn’t last, especially after Edwards’ final play in a 34-7 drubbing by the Packers. Down 27 points and facing a 4th-and-11 late in the fourth quarter, Edwards ran the ball out of bounds for four yards rather than heaving it down the field to make a play. The Bills benched Edwards that week in favor of Ryan Fitzpatrick and released him eight days later. The 2008 season will always be “the one that got away.”

Honorable mentions (in chronological order):
S Keion Carpenter, 2000 

TE Mark Campbell, 2004 

S Ko Simpson, 2006 

LB John DiGiorgio, 2007 

WR Terrell Owens, 2009

S Cary Harris, 2009 

LB Arthur Moats, 2010 

RB Mike Gillislee, 2016

WR Robert Foster, 2018 

DT Jordan Phillips, 2019

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Fifteen minutes later, the Bills bellowed through the locker room that Orton was retiring. He never did come back to chat, leaving the same way as he arrived — without any warning and in an unforgettable way.

I read that, started whistling the theme from 'The Littlest Hobo', and began to cry...?

?