The London Chargers? In the AFC East? It could happen

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

So you have to go to one to appreciate how "special" they are? I'm sure they are awesome for the fans in attendance but as NFL games go these games are a joke. The quality is often mediocre. You have 2 teams far from home,  possibly still jet lagged in a stadium not really suited for football.   To have a team in London permanently  and travelling across the Atlantic (and then across the States) would be sheer idiocy.

All reasonable points, but making you ‘sick’? Really? (And yes if you didn’t do it, go next time the Bills are there....I’ll pour you a pint!)

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

2 teams in LA is just not going to work. Their stadium was like 99 percent packers fans yesterday. They have no fan base! I don’t want London in the afc east though 

It never was going to work, the NFL from a business standpoint has a o lot of political infighting and dysfunction

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  The AFC South would pry be a better position for the fins.  I just thought moving only one team from each division would be the simplest solution so we've got

AFC North - Bills, Steelers, Browns, Bengals

AFC East - Pats, Ravens, Jets, Chargers

AFC South - Titans, Fins, Colts, Jaguars

AFC West - Broncos, Texans, Chiefs, Raiders

There's your divisions Goodell.

With our luck the Bengals become the new Patriots.  ?

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I know all about body clocks since I work a weird schedule working evenings/early nights and daytime on Saturday and the best way to handle it is to just stay on night schedule clock.   Lots of people have to make the adjustment to work alternate shift including families of workers.

Oh and I have worked in England at RAF Molesworth having to fly out work there and fly back in a week or two and then returning a couple weeks later to work again.  

I've done it my entire career, including doing the "reverse commute," getting an VRBO townhouse in London for a month and commuting back and forth once a week for work while staying there, and the work was doing trips to London.

London is the least of the problem, but still, I would never do it for any length of time, and I was "done" when I got there, not having to work during the time off.

I know all the tricks of staying on top of it.

Living somewhere is completely different for the individual and his family than shift work in the same time zone.

Just a very bad idea.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I've done it my entire career, including doing the "reverse commute," getting an VRBO townhouse in London for a month and commuting back and forth once a week for work while staying there, and the work was doing trips to London.

London is the least of the problem, but still, I would never do it for any length of time, and I was "done" when I got there, not having to work during the time off.

Living somewhere is completely different for the individual and his family than shift work in the same time zone.

Just a very bad idea.

Many families do not even move to new city a player goes to especially when the player has been on a lot of teams. 

We had someone at work doing this type of commute every week because his family did not want to move. 

He did it for 18 years but if company/client was not cooperative it would have been a  lot tougher.

22 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Just a very bad idea.

We’ve talked about doing an extended stay as we transition into retirement. Can I ask what part of London do you stay at through VRBO? Is it always the same place?

57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’ve talked about doing an extended stay as we transition into retirement. Can I ask what part of London do you stay at through VRBO? Is it always the same place?

We stayed in South Kensington, my favorite district.

I would fly the trip to London, wife in the back, have my wife stay in our hotel on the companies dime, then drop her off at the VRBO townhouse, leave her there while I flew my trip back to the US, get on the next flight to London as a passenger, a mere two hours later, and spend the next three days there.....

Commute back to the US four days later, work back to London, and then fly my wife back to the US.

Plenty of great places on VRBO there.

Edited by sherpa

Doesn't everybody realize this is the NFL's annual rumor to keep the London interest ? The last few years it was the Jags owner wanting to move them there. This is all about throwing them an annual bone to keep the interest up. In a few years we will be the rumor because we don't yet have a stadium deal!

• Like (+1) 1

I see Khan blocking any move to the UK.  He has way power and money than Spanos imo.  The stadium in LA has become a dumpster fire.  The cost is double what was expected.  The Chargers are falling way short of meeting their original portion let alone the new  inflated price.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, sherpa said:

It's longer than six hours , closer to 7.5 or 8, depending on which leg, eastbound or westbound, and time of year.

Eastbound leg gets shorter the further into the fall you get, and the return leg gets longer.

Additionally, the system is set up as basically one way.

The flights departing the US mainland do so late in the afternoon into the evening, and the flights departing Europe leave in the morning.

99.9% true.  But there are a couple of flights that leave the East Coast at 8:00-ish in the morning and arrive in London about 8:00-ish at night.  It's actually an almost sane feeling to get off the rig, clear customs, head for the airport hotel (a.k.a. "bar") and go to bed at a normal time.  You're so wiped out by the jet lag that you get a decent night of sleep and wake up in the morning when the rest of the country does.

This doesn't work for the West Coast, however.  That's where the system would break down.  I know these guys are tough, young athletes, but it would just F**K with their metabolisms.  Vegas would rightly have them as dogs every time they went to the West Coast.

If chargers moved to London....

buffalo, jets, pats, London 

philadelphia, giants, Washington, Baltimore 

Browns, Colts , Bengals, Steelers

green Bay, Chicago, Minnesota, detroit

carolina, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, New orleans

houston, Tennessee, Jax , Miami 

Seattle,, vegas, Denver, KC

LA, SF, Arizona, Dallas

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

All reasonable points, but making you ‘sick’? Really? (And yes if you didn’t do it, go next time the Bills are there....I’ll pour you a pint!)

Apparently my old man expression of "Im sick" as in "I'm sick and tired" of something or someone is no longer in common usage. No the games in London don't make me physically ill. I just think they are an unnecessary lame gimmick by the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Does the league really believe players would sign up to play for a team located in London? 

1) living on a different continent let alone another country.

2) the travel the London players would have to make (imagine flying from London for s game IN San Francisco/Los Angeles/Seattle)

3) Zero fan base at all. Lack of knowledge of the sport among the fans.

i think they’d be overpaying for less value just to get guys to play there, as well as being stuck with not having premier players interested in signing with them. I could see it going as far as draft eligible players telling the London team not to pick them bc the player would hold out if they were selected by London. 

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

2 teams in LA is just not going to work. Their stadium was like 99 percent packers fans yesterday. They have no fan base! I don’t want London in the afc east though 

Hell, even 1 team in LA doesn't work...the fans have lukewarm interest at best even when the teams are making deep playoff or super bowl runs and are really good. Its pretty ridiculous.

35 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

3) Zero fan base at all. Lack of knowledge of the sport among the fans.

All teams start with zero fan base.  There are many football fans in England and on the continent and while they would have to work to develop a fan base it is possible.