The London Chargers? In the AFC East? It could happen

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

So the UK would not tax the salary of an NFL player that is not earned in the UK unless they are permanently domicile in the UK. That is our law and I know - because I helped write the last revision of it. What the UK would tax is the earnings earned in the UK. So for all 8 home games and whatever practice days take place in the UK you would be taxed by the British Government. For the 8 games and any practice days take place outside the UK you would not. If a player decided to live permanently in the UK ie. stayed in London in the offseason, moved family here etc, they could then be captured by the rules that apply to a UK domicile person and the UK would then tax all of their earnings whether earned in the UK or abroad. That plain and simple is the UK law.

If what you are saying is that the US would also seek to tax the 8 game days and whatever practice days take place in the UK then my understanding of our tax treaty with the US is that would not take place but as I say - that is not my area of expertise. It is just not my understanding of the way the two countries apply the rules as between each other. It may be that only applies to federal taxes though - that is a thought..... I don't know enough about your tax system. But if there is a problem it is caused by the US tax system not the UK one.

"The United States is among only a few governments who tax international income earned by their citizens, as well as permanent residents, residing overseas." https://www.taxesforexpats.com/uk/us-tax-preparation-in-uk.html

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The only remaining source of puzzlement for me is that we have had a treaty on double taxation with the US since 2003. So I don't understand why that doesn't bite here? 

It does, but it only covers the first $104K, or so it seems.

Here is the treaty: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/treaties/Documents/uktreaty.pdf

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, sherpa said:

Maybe I should have made it clearer.

If it isn't a charter, you aren't getting a flight from Buffalo to London without a connection somewhere.

The the ten hours.

Nah.  Drive over to Toronto for a 7 hour flight to Heathrow.  Or fly an hour to JFK for an under 7 hour flight to Heathrow.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Well Chancellor Osborne is no longer an MP let alone in Cabinet. Who knows who the Chancellor will by next month. If it is John McDonnell then I wouldn't bank on the maximum income tax rate not going up from 50%. 

So as I understand what you say above the US taxes you regardless. Even when you are stationed permanently in another country? So the problem isn't the UK or indeed any other country where the NFL may wish to go. It is that the exemption that the US would apply to you and me and the man on the street is chicken feed to the NFL players and the rest of their salary would be double taxed because the US doesn't only want to tax the bits for activity in the US it wants to tax the whole lot. 

So either the host country has to agree that it won't tax NFL players on the money earned in the UK for games and practices there as a special exemption under its law. Or the US has to agree that it would forego its right to the tax for those activities carried out by an NFL player in another country. Hence we hit stalemate because neither of those would happen. 

Really helpful conversation @MAJBobby - thank you. I understand the issue now and where the concern comes from. It was being presented as a problem with the UK tax system which I didn't understand. 

The only remaining source of puzzlement for me is that we have had a treaty on double taxation with the US since 2003. So I don't understand why that doesn't bite here? 

It does up to a cap.  Seem for most people that is fine because they are not going to earn much over what that Cap is.  For players making millions they will blow that cap by the first game check.  They could always do what they did for Civilians Serving in War Zones and make an exemption as well I know Contractors that were with me in Iraq fell under the same protections I did up to your first 125K is tax free.  The problem is we are talking Millions here and I dont see either Government giving up their chance to bit at the taxing of player that are earning multi-millions.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:49 AM, SoCal Deek said:

What happens if a player’s passport is revoked? Or what if they don’t have one? 

NHL Hockey players do it all the time.  MLB has games in Toronto.

Other points in general:

Other worries people have like taxes etc. would no doubt be addressed.  

The is the NFL were are talking about.  They got a little pull in Washington.

West Coast teams traveling to London would likely be assisted in scheduling an away game more east and the team

would immediately fly to London after that game.

If the London team took hold I see no real reason players wouldn't want to play there.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:12 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Whether the old Chargers move there or not I still see a decent chance London gets a team some day.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

NHL Hockey players do it all the time.  MLB has games in Toronto.

Other points in general:

Other worries people have like taxes etc. would no doubt be addressed.  

The is the NFL were are talking about.  They got a little pull in Washington.

West Coast teams traveling to London would likely be assisted in scheduling an away game more east and the team

would immediately fly to London after that game.

If the London team took hold I see no real reason players wouldn't want to play there.

Whether the old Chargers move there or not I still see a decent chance London gets a team some day.

See discussion re: taxes above.

Also, as predicted,  Spanos has less than zero interest.  It would be a financial disaster for this penny pincher.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nah.  Drive over to Toronto for a 7 hour flight to Heathrow.  Or fly an hour to JFK for an under 7 hour flight to Heathrow.

Not possible.

You are never going to get to JFK in an hour from Buffalo and then connect to a Heathrow flight which includes the connection, per your post, under seven hours.

Simply not possible.

Flight to JFK, hour and half minimum.

Connection..an hour minimum.

Flight to Heathrow about 7 hours scheduled.

Customs/Immigration add on.

And it's longer coming west.

I do not think they can do one European team- they can do 4 and create an entire division but not just the one due to logistics. The London team would be perpetually on long trips and their division games they would be 6 hours later. If you did 4 you can at least make the entire division equal that way and just plan the other 5 road trip games into a couple sets.