The London Chargers? In the AFC East? It could happen

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

That's nice BUT Wembley is a like an English LA Coliseum.  Built for Olympic events not NFL games.  Too many bad seats to sell.  How many "locals" go to game(s), or care about the NFL?   For those who do travel from the USA be prepared for the London departure tax buried on your plane ticket.  Last time I checked it was in the $160 range.

What does Wembley have to do with this?

2 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

That's nice BUT Wembley is a like an English LA Coliseum.  Built for Olympic events not NFL games.  Too many bad seats to sell.  How many "locals" go to game(s), or care about the NFL?   For those who do travel from the USA be prepared for the London departure tax buried on your plane ticket.  Last time I checked it was in the $160 range.

The team would not be based at Wembley. They would be based at Tottenham which was designed partly with the NFL in mind.

As for how many "locals" go to the game..... well the tickets for the Panthers and Buccs sold out in 9 minutes when they went on sale in the UK. So, errr, lots.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Geographically speaking we are in closer proximity for the AFC North- directly above Pittsburgh and due northeast of Cleveland. Baltimore belongs in the East and Miami belongs in the south- geographically of course ?‍♂️

I know that.   I just don't like that division and what comes with it.  

I mean there could be the advantage of becoming the BEST team in that division for 20 years thing ...  

Just now, Marv's Neighbor said:

With all due respect you’re wrong on all accounts. The London game experience was fantastic. The local fans loved it and it hasn’t worn off. Wembley was packed again this past weekend. And I’m not sure where you’re getting your travel tickets but we go quite often from Los Angeles and it’s cheaper for me to go and stay in London than it is for me to go ‘home’ to Buffalo! Last month my plane tickets were $575 round trip. If you haven’t gone....do it....it’s a hoot! And take in a soccer (football) match while in town.

51 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The current Wembley stadium was built for football (soccer), with the ability to host NFL games and Rugby League.

The former Wembley stadium was the Olympic site but was demolished 16/17 years ago.

The new Wembley is an excellent, modern stadium. It is more likely games will be played at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium instead, though.

Also - plenty of NFL fans in the UK. 

52 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I know that.   I just don't like that division and what comes with it.  

I mean there could be the advantage of becoming the BEST team in that division for 20 years thing ...  

I knew you did- just adding a little icing to the cake ?

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

With all due respect you’re wrong on all accounts. The London game experience was fantastic. The local fans loved it and it hasn’t worn off. Wembley was packed again this past weekend. And I’m not sure where you’re getting your travel tickets but we go quite often from Los Angeles and it’s cheaper for me to go and stay in London than it is for me to go ‘home’ to Buffalo! Last month my plane tickets were $575 round trip. If you haven’t gone....do it....it’s a hoot! And take in a soccer (football) match while in town.

I know about the fare, it's the tax that's absurd  What was the total ticket?

1 hour ago, Brit said:

The current Wembley stadium was built for football (soccer), with the ability to host NFL games and Rugby League.

The former Wembley stadium was the Olympic site but was demolished 16/17 years ago.

The new Wembley is an excellent, modern stadium. It is more likely games will be played at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium instead, though.

Also - plenty of NFL fans in the UK. 

19 actually. The final game at the old stadium was September 2000 - Kevin Keegan resigning in the toilets and all that.....

I'd rather see them move to a city starved for an NFL team, or at least a city that will give half a crap. Chargers home games right now are a joke. Watched them against Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and the stands were plastered with Terrible Towels. Caught some of their game against Green Bay this past Sunday and it was definitely a GB crowd. 

If they do move to London, I'd imagine it'd be a tough sell to draw in free agents. 

3 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Agree with this except Portland is probably large enough (25th largest Metro area in the US)

Is there enough population outside the metro to support a team?  I'm not familiar with Oregon specifically but I know that pretty much when you get out beyond the suburbs of  major western cities outside of California, all you've got is farm and/or ranch land, forest or desert dotted with small towns of a few hundred people.  A major population center in these areas would have about 5000-10000 people.  The eastern parts of both Washington and Oregon are primarily sparsely populated mountains and high desert.   Even Northern Cal is much more rural and sparsely populated than further south around the Bay Area.