The London Chargers? In the AFC East? It could happen

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Simplest solution would to move us to AFC North, Texans to AFC West, and the Ravens to AFC South.

East:  Pats, Fins, Jets, Chargers

West: Chiefs, Texans, Raiders, Broncos

South: Colts, Titans, Ravens, Jaguars

North:  Bills, Steelers, Browns, Bengals

assuming chargers are in london,

colts go in west, texans and fins go in south, ravens go in east.  that would be the most logical geographic breakdown.

the afc north would all be reasonable drives from each other.  i know it's new, but i could see insane rivalries brewing there.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is a different argument. I was responding to the first fallacy - which is often repeated on these boards - that London "wouldn't sustain a team." That is simply not true.

You don't know it's a fallacy and neither do any of us.  We won't know for sure until/if they put a team there for about 5-10 years.

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

So you have to go to one to appreciate how "special" they are? I'm sure they are awesome for the fans in attendance but as NFL games go these games are a joke. The quality is often mediocre. You have 2 teams far from home,  possibly still jet lagged in a stadium not really suited for football.   To have a team in London permanently  and travelling across the Atlantic (and then across the States) would be sheer idiocy.

I see this as a player safety concern.  Jet lag is a real thing. I've traveled over there a bunch and can personally attest to that.  For the first few days over there I was sleep walking.  Can't imagine trying to play football.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

You're on the ground there.  I trust your knowledge and judgement.

Are there any professional football leagues in Europe?  With all this interest in NFL football have any been proposed?  Do kids play football there?

I'm asking because I'm curious.  Not trying to make a point. :)

Not professional leagues that I am aware of. But we have a pretty thriving amateur league that the likes of Efe Obada - now a Carolina Panther - started in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAFA_National_Leagues

The BAFA does have some kids flag football leagues but it isn't a big participation sport for British kids. There is a decent university league as well but that is amateur too.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Simplest solution would to move us to AFC North, Texans to AFC West, and the Ravens to AFC South.

East:  Pats, Fins, Jets, Chargers

West: Chiefs, Texans, Raiders, Broncos

South: Colts, Titans, Ravens, Jaguars

North:  Bills, Steelers, Browns, Bengals

I get how we'd fit in the AFC North, but based on location, the Dolphins fit more in the AFC South. 

The Jets, Bills & Pats are much closer geographically, while the Fins are the odd man out. 

Not sure how to relocate all the other teams around, but I still believe the only reason the Colts were moved to the South instead of the Dolphins was how relevant the Dolphins were in the 90's as opposed to the Colts.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Not professional leagues that I am aware of. But we have a pretty thriving amateur league that the likes of Efe Obada - now a Carolina Panther - started in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAFA_National_Leagues

The BAFA does have some kids flag football leagues but it isn't a big participation sport for British kids. There is a decent university league as well but that is amateur too.

Have you read "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham?  It's about a bad NFL QB that goes to Europe to play on a semi-pro football team.  It's really good.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is a different argument. I was responding to the first fallacy - which is often repeated on these boards - that London "wouldn't sustain a team." That is simply not true.

If you want to argue that the logistics of it remain a challenge, then yes, of course they do. But you know what - that isn't going to stop them. There are no logistical challenges that are insurmountable if the sums add up. That will be the critical question. Do the numbers make sense for the League. If they do then it will happen.

I understand what you are claiming, but London's support of a team is just one issue in the calculus, and the easiest. 

Filling out a London based roster would present a huge disadvantage.

Travel problems are very significant.

The current system neutralizes that to a large extent, but that wouldn't be the case with a London based team.

There is so  much that goes into building a competitive league, and this would be beyond a reasonable challenge.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

I get how we'd fit in the AFC North, but based on location, the Dolphins fit more in the AFC South. 

The Jets, Bills & Pats are much closer geographically, while the Fins are the odd man out. 

Not sure how to relocate all the other teams around, but I still believe the only reason the Colts were moved to the South instead of the Dolphins was how relevant the Dolphins were in the 90's as opposed to the Colts.

Iirc, Ralph Wilson was adamantly opposed to MIA being moved out of the AFCE. 

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Iirc, Ralph Wilson was adamantly opposed to MIA being moved out of the AFCE. 

Makes sense. But that has a lot to do with the Bills & Dolphins having a great rivalry in the 90's.

Marino & Kelly mattered. The Colts were just starting to become relevant, but didn't have the history yet. Geographically the Dolphins don't fit as much as the other 4.

Just now, BigDingus said:

Makes sense. But that has a lot to do with the Bills & Dolphins having a great rivalry in the 90's.

Marino & Kelly mattered. The Colts were just starting to become relevant, but didn't have the history yet. Geographically the Dolphins don't fit as much as the other 4.

Oh sure it does, wasn’t arguing against your point, more just adding to it. RW wanted to preserve the traditional rivalries, and there definitely wasn’t a big one with the Colts. Manning had just gotten there a few years before, and outside of Bert Jones the Colts hadn’t had much at QB to heat up any rivalry. 

22 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Have you read "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham?  It's about a bad NFL QB that goes to Europe to play on a semi-pro football team.  It's really good.

Was his name Tyrod?

22 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Yeah.  The AFC South would pry be a better position for the fins.  I just thought moving only one team from each division would be the simplest solution so we've got

AFC North - Bills, Steelers, Browns, Bengals

AFC East - Pats, Ravens, Jets, Chargers

AFC South - Titans, Fins, Colts, Jaguars

AFC West - Broncos, Texans, Chiefs, Raiders

There's your divisions Goodell.

Edited by Doc Brown

40 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

So you have to go to one to appreciate how "special" they are? I'm sure they are awesome for the fans in attendance but as NFL games go these games are a joke. The quality is often mediocre. You have 2 teams far from home,  possibly still jet lagged in a stadium not really suited for football.   To have a team in London permanently  and travelling across the Atlantic (and then across the States) would be sheer idiocy.

The team in London would have it better than teams in the US in terms of jet lag. during regular season  It ls likely the NFL would give London team a two home game stretch followed by a two away game stretch repeating.   Likely all games in London would be night games to try keep body clocks on same schedule. 

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Likely all games in London would be night games to try keep body clocks on same schedule. 

Not possible.

There is simply no way to keep a London residence with any reasonable family life on a US body clock for months at a time.

This has been tried by US airline people.

Living in London and commuting back for work, once per week.

Unhealthy and not realistic.

Did it.

• Like (+1) 1

If I was a player, I'd outright refuse to play for the London team.  I could see many other players doing the same. 

Mexico City?? How will it play over in the media when a star players kid gets kidnapped? 

If this happens those two teams will be permanent expansion teams.  They'll only be able to get players with no other options. 

8 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Not possible.

There is simply no way to keep a London residence with any reasonable family life on a US body clock for months at a time.

This has been tried by US airline people.

Living in London and commuting back for work, once per week.

Unhealthy and not realistic.

Did it.

I know all about body clocks since I work a weird schedule working evenings/early nights and daytime on Saturday and the best way to handle it is to just stay on night schedule clock.   Lots of people have to make the adjustment to work alternate shift including families of workers.

The key will be schedule makers. Do they try to be neutral or try to help team in London be able to have some regularity like other teams?  Games at 6 PM there would be 1 PM on east coast.  The tougher issue is west coast vs London and I cannot see the NFL doing the schedule like we have next year with AFC East playing AFC West and NFC West if London was in AFC East.

Oh and I have worked in England at RAF Molesworth having to fly out work there and fly back in a week or two and then returning a couple weeks later to work again.