8 games in and the Bills control their own destiny to the #1 seed

The Bills could have theoretically ended the season at 15-1, and still only lay claim to a wild card seed following their loss to New England through when they lost to the Eagles. 

But now, as a result of NE's in-conference loss at Baltimore, The Buffalo Bills control of their own destiny.  Winning out would result in them beating the Ravens Week 14 thus splitting the 'common games' tie-breaker with NE, and then beating Patriot's Week 16 will result in splitting head to head tie-breaker.  This leaves Conference record tiebreaker awarding the Bills the division!

Now, it may not play out exactly like this in Act-2 of the 2019 NFL season.. but who wouldn't have taken 'essentially tied with NE' at the halfway point?!

NFL Divisional Tie-Breaking

1- Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2- Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3- Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games (games played against the same opponents).
4- Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

You know, the Sabres control their own destiny too. Only 67 games to go. Why don't we talk about that as well?

Controlling your own destiny is an accomplishment you can talk about when there are 2 or 3 games to go in the season. Not 8...... Way to much can happen...

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Hard to believe a 6-2 team could control their own destiny, isn't it?

Oh, wait...you've got more than 250 posts.  I don't have to be subtle!  You're an idiot.

Apologies for offending you DC Tom.

I think some people are missing the OP's point.  It's not that people believe we're gonna run the table.  It's more, can we just stop and appreciate where we are right now?  Halfway into the season and instead of talking about how tenacious our playoff chances are, we're still in a position where we could still win the division and even top seed, however unlikely.

Yes, the Bills could collapse.  I'll worry about that if and when it happens.  Let's say the Bills utterly collapse and lose out.  When the season is over, I'll have enjoyed half the season and lamented the other.  The naysayers here will have hated all of it.  Who got more enjoyment out of the season in total?

I could see this happening if daboll isn’t calling the plays. 

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

this seems silly to discuss with half a season left.

no you see every week you are supposed to predict wins and losses going forward depending on the emotional reaction to whatever happened that week. So this week we be winning the SB. No wait we suck! 

7 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

That’s true. Don’t we have the easier schedule though?

Record in common games within the conference takes precedence over strength of schedule. If the Bills win out, they'll have beaten the Ravens, who beat the Pats*. The Bills would have one AFC loss, while the Pats* would have two.

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Pats losing to the Ravens tonight seals that.

Buffalo is being overlooked by absolutely everyone as a good team.

But we've also beaten every team we were "supposed" to beat. Who cares how it looked?

Seahawks went to overtime against an inferior 2 win Bucs team with a turnover prone QB. Will the conversation be about how the 'Hawks are in trouble? Probably not.

Packers lost to the 3-5 Chargers today. They're still going to be talked about as a legitimate Super contenders and this game will likely be an afterthought.

Patriots have only beaten one team with a winning record: that was Buffalo and it was by 6 points in a game that they had a fluke ST TD and knocked our starting QB out for the entire 4th quarter. Tonight they got dominated like we did last week against the Eagles.

So that leaves the Ravens. We play them. They stomped the Patriots. But they also got stomped by the 2 win Cleveland Browns. It's not like they're unbeatable.

Wins are Wins and any team in the NFL can win in any given week, so don't overlook anyone!

Just keep winning Buffalo!!! 

TAs oof know if they win out they wil be 14-2 tied with NE at 14-2

H2H split

same division record of 5-1

common game record the same, both 2-0 against non common

conference record would be in BUF Favor because one lose against NFC so better AFC record

after their bye NE as a gaintlet

bye

at PHL

DAL

at HOU

KC

I see them going 2-2 here/ going 1-3 is not a surprise

BUF has

at CLE

at MIA

DEN

at DAL

BAL

I see BUF going 4-1

BAL/PHL/DAL --both have gone 0-1

noncommon games is the edge at Ten/DEN vs at HOU/KC  BUF can go 2-0, NE can go 0-2

8 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

If the bills win out, and the pats win out, then we still have 2 losses to their 1. So how do we control our own destiny? Don’t we need the pats to lose at least 1-2 more games to have a shot at the 1 seed? I’ll hang up and listen.

If the Bills win out, the Pats will have 2 losses (One to Baltimore and one to Us !!).   Both of us will be 14-2...Our 2nd loss was to NFC opponent whereas they would have two losses in the AFC...Hence the Bills control their destiny to the Top Seed

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

That’s good advice but I’m still struggling..

I think I need a transplant of something..

Maybe have your spleen removed, that might help..,?

Go Bills!!!

thinking about the # 1 seed 8 games in to the season is really putting the 

cart............................................way before the......................................horse

win a few more. beat the ravens, ne*, sweep the fins and jets and even beat the cowboys before this kind of thought should even be considered, this early?