Allen 3rd highest rated passer in 4th Q

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Chris Brown just now on OBL- Allen has a rating of 125 in the 4th Q this year, good for 3rd best in the league. Say what you will, he rises to the occasion when the chips are down as Mr. Clutch! 

Let's just gloss over that one.

:lol:

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Chris Brown just now on OBL- Allen has a rating of 125 in the 4th Q this year, good for 3rd best in the league. Say what you will, he rises to the occasion when the chips are down as Mr. Clutch! 

Tuhrod was famous for 4th Q ratings ....  problem was, TT could hardly ever win a game, be it tied or behind in the middle of the 4th 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Tuhrod was famous for 4th Q ratings ....  problem was, TT could hardly ever win a game, be it tied or behind in the middle of the 4th 

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Big difference between padding stats in the 4th as garbage time versus being crunch-time, as we’ve seen time after time now with Josh. 

Tuhrod did have a knack for padding his stats in garbage time, didn’t he. 

• Like (+1) 3

Since they drafted him, my thought on Allen has been, "They'll probably have to live with him making a knucklehead play here and there, but when it's crunch time, he just seems to step up and get it done." He's a gamer. In years past whenever this team was down by one score late in a game, I rarely ever had confidence that they could complete the comeback and win the game. (In fact, I feel like the only time they did that was against Miami in 2016, only to allow Miami to march right down the field and win the game anyway, eff youse, Rex!) But now, if they're down, it doesn't feel like it's over as long as he gets a chance with the ball. And the guys rally around him, they have confidence and belief that he's gonna get it done. That's something this team has been without for a long time. I'm sure teammates had a lot of love for Tyrod, he's a good dude, decent player, but I wonder if any of them really ever felt like, "He's clutch, he's gonna throw us on his back and get the win." Not much in his history suggests that he's that kinda guy, but it's the opposite for Allen and it's great to see it as a fan. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Since they drafted him, my thought on Allen has been, "They'll probably have to live with him making a knucklehead play here and there, but when it's crunch time, he just seems to step up and get it done." He's a gamer. In years past whenever this team was down by one score late in a game, I rarely ever had confidence that they could complete the comeback and win the game. (In fact, I feel like the only time they did that was against Miami in 2016, only to allow Miami to march right down the field and win the game anyway, eff youse, Rex!) But now, if they're down, it doesn't feel like it's over as long as he gets a chance with the ball. And the guys rally around him, they have confidence and belief that he's gonna get it done. That's something this team has been without for a long time. I'm sure teammates had a lot of love for Tyrod, he's a good dude, decent player, but I wonder if any of them really ever felt like, "He's clutch, he's gonna throw us on his back and get the win." Not much in his history suggests that he's that kinda guy, but it's the opposite for Allen and it's great to see it as a fan. 

Also pointed out on OBL by Brownie, was the fact that we are talking about a QB in Allen that hasn't even started the equivalent of a full season yet (14 games and counting), and is 23 years old...

• Like (+1) 2

I know this sounds a little crazy.....but I like that everything is not perfect at the beginning of the season in Josh Allen's game BUT that he is good when it matters most.

It gives him room to improve and biuld momentum as the season goes along.

I know this....Josh Allen is good..we just dont know how good yet

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just watched the entire game again and I would advise anyone who hasn't to do just that. Allen had a better game than I thought he did and I think he is getting credit for. We are so use to his scrambling and running that we take it for granted. He had ten very good escapes and runs over the course of the game, including three on the last drive alone. There were as many big drops or mistakes by receivers as the blatant mistakes he made, which were plenty.

Tommy Sweeney probably needs to jump and catch that ball in the endzone which was just an insane play by Allen on the replay. The deep ball to Foster was not necessarily well advised because he wasn't open but it was an absolutely perfect pass that is a TD if the safety doesn't lunge and knock it away at the last second. Knox obviously had a great game but a drop that's a first and goal at the three. Yeldon's fumble cost at least three points. Allen was under a lot of pressure all game and constantly avoided the rush. Three times this led to bad decisions by him including the atrocious interception and bad decision on the intentional grounding which likely cost us three points himself. But he escaped so many times, over and over and over that I think a lot of us take it for granted. His running, too, was ridiculous in this game on several occasions. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 9

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

We have also watched the D close it out when we get the lead back.  This team has learned how to win.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

We have also watched the D close it out when we get the lead back.  This team has learned how to win.

This is a myth discussed by fans.  It doesn't exist in reality.

Superior scheming and talent on the field beats inferior scheming and talent on the field.

Why do fans want to inflate this into something way more complicated than it actually is?

To be fair, JA and the team had 2 poor 3rd quarters. NYJ we were okay in the 3rd. I think we have a competitive team, but not a team with the killer--kick them while they're down--attitude. We need to fix that. However, this week, the pressure will be on to be excellent the entire game. There will be no need to deal with being up or getting in a lull.

Edited by mykidsdad
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Great point--"complementary football" is the term I believe? How often was one side of the ball or the other liable to let down the whole team? While the D is clearly still the best overall unit for us, the gap has narrowed considerably from last season. 

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched the entire game again and I would advise anyone who hasn't to do just that. Allen had a better game than I thought he did and I think he is getting credit for. We are so use to his scrambling and running that we take it for granted. He had ten very good escapes and runs over the course of the game, including three on the last drive alone. There were as many big drops or mistakes by receivers as the blatant mistakes he made, which were plenty.

Tommy Sweeney probably needs to jump and catch that ball in the endzone which was just an insane play by Allen on the replay. The deep ball to Foster was not necessarily well advised because he wasn't open but it was an absolutely perfect pass that is a TD if the safety doesn't lunge and knock it away at the last second. Knox obviously had a great game but a drop that's a first and goal at the three. Yeldon's fumble cost at least three points. Allen was under a lot of pressure all game and constantly avoided the rush. Three times this led to bad decisions by him including the atrocious interception and bad decision on the intentional grounding which likely cost us three points himself. But he escaped so many times, over and over and over that I think a lot of us take it for granted. His running, too, was ridiculous in this game on several occasions. 

Good stuff, KtD. I keep thinking how similar that pass to Brown in the first quarter was to his intentional grounding and interception pass attempts later on. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Superior scheming and talent on the field beats inferior scheming and talent on the field.

Why do fans want to inflate this into something way more complicated than it actually is?

No, this is a reality that exist not only in all sports but in all of life as well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

How does one explain the phenomenon that is the Cleveland Browns since Bernie Kosar? More specifically, since the vast infusions of individual talents on that roster that past couple of years (looking primed from last season's finish) combined with all-the-rage cutting edge offensive thinkers like Kitchens?

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Great point--"complementary football" is the term I believe? How often was one side of the ball or the other liable to let down the whole team? While the D is clearly still the best overall unit for us, the gap has narrowed considerably from last season. 

If we are to be SB contenders we need to lock down on inferior opponents on both sides.  It seems for the most part that we can do what we want when we focus on it.  weeks 1 and 2 Gore was ineffective and week 3 he averaged over 5 a pop.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You don’t know it,  and likely never will, but you just explained why the team is learning to win. You just supported what you were trying to tear down....

Go Bills!!!

Allen's ability to escape from the grasp of D-linemen to extend a play is otherworldly quite frankly--how many plays yesterday did he have where any of the likes we've rotated through here at QB the past 20 years would have fallen down at the first hint of a collapsing pocket? 

1:55 mark, he literally takes all day and then some, including a nifty shake and bake; 2:05 mark (still shaking my head at this one--closest I've ever seen was Kelly dropping a shotgun snap, having a helmet technical difficulty and rolling out to still complete a TD to Lofton in the 90 Championship game; but this one is almost better); or my personal favorite at the 4:25 mark--I mean, what???:

• Like (+1) 6

58 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I honestly think the only time I even see his name on here anymore is when you bring him up.....

moving on to allen and the topic at hand. my god, I love this guys GAMER mentality.... been about 20 years since we've seen 4th quarters like these. very exciting.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I honestly think the only time I even see his name on here anymore is when you bring him up.....

moving on to allen and the topic at hand. my god, I love this guys GAMER mentality.... been about 20 years since we've seen 4th quarters like these. very exciting.

LOL  Turdrod is brought up a bunch by many others.

Am I glad a Faux QB is gone an no longer holding this team back?   :censored: yeah..

Just curious ....  do you sat this to everyone that still mentions Orton, or EJ or any other failed attempt at QB in the last decade?  

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Allen played very well, IMO.

He's kinda' got a mid-80's John Elway thing going on out there so far this season.    

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

LOL  Turdrod is brought up a bunch by many others.

Am I glad a Faux QB is gone an no longer holding this team back?   :censored: yeah..

Just curious ....  do you sat this to everyone that still mentions Orton, or EJ or any other failed attempt at QB in the last decade?  

I've seen his name twice in the last 2 weeks and it was you..... I literally havnt given the guy a thought..... and I havnt seen the others mentioned recently. but ya I would.... you have a thing with him, man. you used to claim you were objective on the matter. its apparent that's not the case.

onward and upward.