Allen 3rd highest rated passer in 4th Q

This is the one area I really want to give Allen props for. 

As many times as he makes me want to pull out my hair, he gets the exact opposite reaction from me in the 4th. 

Instead of resigned to failure the moment we go down by even a single point, I'm glued to the television with belief there's actually a chance we can pull one out.

One of the things I used to get bashed for is complaining about Tyrod's inability to play from behind. The Bills used to have something like a 3-23 record if they went down by even ONE SINGLE POINT at any time in the 4th quarter under TT. 

The memory came up again yesterday when the Bengals went ahead by the 3. I though "if this was Tyrod playing, this cements a loss," but still stayed fixated on the TV knowing Allen's hero ball style can get us out of this jam despite his ineptitude for nearly 2 quarters before then. 

When Knox caught that pass & proceeded to bulldoze defenders, I jumped so high I nearly hit my head on the ceiling fan. It's easily my favorite part about Allen, and if he can continue to improve in other areas, he will have a long future here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's a gamer.

I've been waiting to say that about a bills qb for so long.... my best friend is a diehard stiller fan and he says the similarities to ben are eerie. a little less refined than ben was early on but very very similar styles of winning.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I've seen his name twice in the last 2 weeks and it was you..... I literally havnt given the guy a thought..... and I havnt seen the others mentioned recently. but ya I would.... you have a thing with him, man. you used to claim you were objective on the matter. its apparent that's not the case.

onward and upward.

Regardless, it is not just me still ridiculing Tyrod.  

Tyrod, Tuhrod, Turdrod ... easy to search   except the Shout Box 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Actually Fitz had a few 4th quarters like these in 2011 before flaming out.... as did Tyrod a couple times in his career here. 

Hoping Allen keeps it going and shows more consistency throughout the entirety of the game.??

I cant remember many clutch moments from taylor. maybe a couple over a 3 years span…. fitz? ya. he had a run.

I would argue the difference is we are seeing this all from a dude with less than 16 games of starts. whats this? 5 game winning 4th quarter drives in 15 starts? 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Good stuff, KtD. I keep thinking how similar that pass to Brown in the first quarter was to his intentional grounding and interception pass attempts later on. 

Someone pointed out last night, which I agree with, is that on the Brown pass, and some others, he had a little room, so he was able to run around the defenders, beat them with his wheels, and then look downfield. In the grounding and interception he didn't have as much room and defenders closed on him fast, so he was going backwards and not around the defense. Thats when he got in trouble, trying to throw while backpedaling, even with the huge arm. It's tough in the heat of battle and pass rush to know.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

His guys had more drops again, I think it was Sweeny? in particular that had one hit him right in both hands, would have gone for a first down inside the 15 to set up a likely TD

knox dropped one inside the 15 or 10... Sweeney dropped the prayer that hit him right in the hands that jussssstt got by dre Fitzpatrick in the EZ.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Search for Tyrod, Tuhrod, Turdrod 

I posted in 1 * of the top 5 threads listed. 

• * Again we've been so bad for so long at QB & Offensive Philosophy
  • Mayfield is << Allen
  • Josh Allen - week THREE report card
  • Yep - 36 games & counting not throwing for 300 yards.....
  • Did I watch a different game? Allen under pressure all day & made play after play

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Search for Tyrod, Tuhrod, Turdrod 

I posted in 1 * of the top 5 threads listed. 

• * Again we've been so bad for so long at QB & Offensive Philosophy
  • Mayfield is << Allen
  • Josh Allen - week THREE report card
  • Yep - 36 games & counting not throwing for 300 yards.....
  • Did I watch a different game? Allen under pressure all day & made play after play

bro I've already moved on.... who are you even talking about.....

see how that works?

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Someone pointed out last night, which I agree with, is that on the Brown pass, and some others, he had a little room, so he was able to run around the defenders, beat them with his wheels, and then look downfield. In the grounding and interception he didn't have as much room and defenders closed on him fast, so he was going backwards and not around the defense. Thats when he got in trouble, trying to throw while backpedaling, even with the huge arm. It's tough in the heat of battle and pass rush to know.

I can appreciate that.

The similarity lies in his being flushed right and throwing while on the run in that direction. Allen can make uncommon throws with that arm and I think he’s too confident at times. But I far prefer that mentality to a QB that lacks any confidence at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I cant remember many clutch moments from taylor. maybe a couple over a 3 years span…. fitz? ya. he had a run.

I would argue the difference is we are seeing this all from a dude with less than 16 games of starts. whats this? 5 game winning 4th quarter drives in 15 starts? 

14 but who’s counting? :D

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

bro I've already moved on.... who are you even talking about.....

see how that works?

yes I do.

People falsely accuse others and then when called out of their mistake, rather than apologize for said  mistake .... dodge and deflect .

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can appreciate that.

The similarity lies in his being flushed right and throwing while on the run in that direction. Allen can make uncommon throws with that arm and I think he’s too confident at times. But I far prefer that mentality to a QB that lacks any confidence at all. 

Absolutely. You cannot try to neuter him, or eliminate mistakes, it's a stupid strategy. You have to try to minimize them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

yes I do.

People falsely accuse others and then when called out of their mistake, rather than apologize for said  mistake .... dodge and deflect .

what exactly am I falsely accusing? dont be so dramatic. i'm not gonna apologize for the fact that the only time I've saw his name it was from you.... it was.... im not gonna run a damn search on the dude. I literally don't care enough to ever do that. maybe others of have brought him up. i'll tell them its pathetic to keep bringing it up too.... and i'll do it jusssstttt for you. 

good talk. have a nice day. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched the entire game again and I would advise anyone who hasn't to do just that. Allen had a better game than I thought he did and I think he is getting credit for. We are so use to his scrambling and running that we take it for granted. He had ten very good escapes and runs over the course of the game, including three on the last drive alone. There were as many big drops or mistakes by receivers as the blatant mistakes he made, which were plenty.

Tommy Sweeney probably needs to jump and catch that ball in the endzone which was just an insane play by Allen on the replay. The deep ball to Foster was not necessarily well advised because he wasn't open but it was an absolutely perfect pass that is a TD if the safety doesn't lunge and knock it away at the last second. Knox obviously had a great game but a drop that's a first and goal at the three. Yeldon's fumble cost at least three points. Allen was under a lot of pressure all game and constantly avoided the rush. Three times this led to bad decisions by him including the atrocious interception and bad decision on the intentional grounding which likely cost us three points himself. But he escaped so many times, over and over and over that I think a lot of us take it for granted. His running, too, was ridiculous in this game on several occasions. 

Good points. Also, just remembering the way NE played defense against Allen last year. Their plan was to contain Allen in the pocket and force him to be a good thrower. That plan is not going to work this time because the WRs are getting open quicker and more consistently. Also, Allen is vastly improving his completion percentage.  We now have WRs who get open and TEs who can actually catch. Would be nice to have Singletary back too. He has been pretty darn good as a receiver too. Going to interesting to see how this plays out next weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched the entire game again and I would advise anyone who hasn't to do just that. Allen had a better game than I thought he did and I think he is getting credit for. We are so use to his scrambling and running that we take it for granted. He had ten very good escapes and runs over the course of the game, including three on the last drive alone. There were as many big drops or mistakes by receivers as the blatant mistakes he made, which were plenty.

Tommy Sweeney probably needs to jump and catch that ball in the endzone which was just an insane play by Allen on the replay. The deep ball to Foster was not necessarily well advised because he wasn't open but it was an absolutely perfect pass that is a TD if the safety doesn't lunge and knock it away at the last second. Knox obviously had a great game but a drop that's a first and goal at the three. Yeldon's fumble cost at least three points. Allen was under a lot of pressure all game and constantly avoided the rush. Three times this led to bad decisions by him including the atrocious interception and bad decision on the intentional grounding which likely cost us three points himself. But he escaped so many times, over and over and over that I think a lot of us take it for granted. His running, too, was ridiculous in this game on several occasions. 

The throw  to Sweeney in the EZ developed right in front of us.  I was and still am amazed he could get that off, yet represented only one of many plays Allen made or came close to connecting on.  There's no shortage of wow moments when Allen is on the field.

That said, if pass protection doesn't improve he'll need to make those if the offense can produce TD drives.   

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Absolutely. You cannot try to neuter him, or eliminate mistakes, it's a stupid strategy. You have to try to minimize them.

Putting some more talent around him will minimize the mistakes.     Give him a big, talented WR that he can throw to even when he's covered and that will save a lot of running around and hero ball to get 7 yards.   Also give the other options better matchups.   And save the wear and tear.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1